PDA

View Full Version : Shane Lewis (Former Player)

ZedFedder
05-10-2023, 07:02 AM
I was curious to see where Hunter Hines ranked in the nation in homers. He is tied for 3rd with 22. But I found that Shane Lewis, who transferred out a couple years ago, has 26 for Troy. Now, if he played in the SEC, that number is probably 20 or so, but still, it would be nice to have that bat in the lineup.

was21
05-10-2023, 09:47 AM
I know his grandfather well. Lemonis encouraged him to transfer...told him he was not going to get much playing time at State.

MafiaDawg
05-10-2023, 10:18 AM
I think lemo should be gone but I also think we?ve seen a lot of evidence that production does not always transfer from G5 to the SEC.

confucius say
05-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Correct. We have a lot of guys who I would be studs in G5. Look how good we've been in midweek games

Cooterpoot
05-10-2023, 11:52 AM
Lewis struggled against P5 competition. Troy is a good place for him.

Todd4State
05-10-2023, 12:39 PM
20 plus home runs is pretty good I don't care where you're at. I bet some MLB organization will draft him.

PMDawg
05-10-2023, 01:24 PM
I know his grandfather well. Lemonis encouraged him to transfer...told him he was not going to get much playing time at State.

LOL. What a dud Lemonis turned out to be.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 01:56 PM
LOL. What a dud Lemonis turned out to be.

He gave him the right advice. Look he wasn't gobbled up by D1 teams. Happy he's doing well, we were honest with him and didn't mess around w him. Lots of reasons to jump Lem, this isn't one of them .

Cowbell
05-10-2023, 02:01 PM
He gave him the right advice. Look he wasn't gobbled up by D1 teams. Happy he's doing well, we were honest with him and didn't mess around w him. Lots of reasons to jump Lem, this isn't one of them .

This. Almost every player that leaves here to drop down to a lower competition level improves statistically. And coaches are gonna always miss on a late bloomer at some point. Look at Rooker making the twins look stupid

ZedFedder
05-10-2023, 03:10 PM
There is a big difference in improving statistically and dropping 26 bombs.

The Federalist Engineer
05-10-2023, 04:01 PM
The only transfer out that ever really hurt MSU was ...

Damon Gardner from Owasso Ok.

Transferred OU then came back to haunt MSU in a key Regional game. Costed MSU a trip to Omaha in 1992. Had them beat in Pivot game-3, then Gardner shut things down for an OU comeback win.

He left homesick or something, he was a huge prospect.

MSU had 3 eventual 1st Round Pitchers on the 1992 team. BJ Wallace and Jay Powell and Charlton Loewer.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 04:14 PM

Transferred OU then came back to haunt MSU in a key Regional game. Costed MSU a trip to Omaha in 1992. Had them beat in Pivot game-3, then Gardner shut things down for an OU comeback win.

MSU had 3 eventual 1st Round Pitchers on the 1992 team. BJ Wallace and Jay Powell and Charlton Loewer.

And Gary rath went in the second off that team as well

Cowbell
05-10-2023, 04:33 PM
There is a big difference in improving statistically and dropping 26 bombs.

Hines has 22 against elite pitching and half this board wanted him benched early in the season

somebodyshotmypaw
05-10-2023, 06:22 PM
We are 6-18 in SEC play. We are 18-5 in non-conference play, and some of those games are power 5 games. So there is a big difference in playing in the SEC or playing at Troy.

Pancho
05-10-2023, 06:37 PM
he's as good as ledbetter.

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 07:08 PM
Lewis struggled against P5 competition. Troy is a good place for him.

A lot of guys struggle against Power 5 pitching when they are freshman.

Cooterpoot
05-10-2023, 07:14 PM
A lot of guys struggle against Power 5 pitching when they are freshman.

He's not killed it this year against midweek P5 pitching. And he's also not as good as Ledbetter. That league is bad. USM isn't even strong this year and they're leading.

Coach34
05-10-2023, 07:22 PM

lol- what? Led is a borderline 1st round pick in June

basedog
05-10-2023, 08:10 PM

Oh man, remember it well. What a sick feeling that day.

Pancho
05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
lol- what? Led is a borderline 1st round pick in June

don't go wild when someone makes an opinionated statement. Lewis might end up a portal guy to the SEC and he'll be drafted as well. I don't for one second trust any player eval done by Lemo now.

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 08:24 PM
He's not killed it this year against midweek P5 pitching. And he's also not as good as Ledbetter. That league is bad. USM isn't even strong this year and they're leading.

You are right, good move by Lemonis cutting Lewis. **

Saltydog
05-10-2023, 08:34 PM
don't go wild when someone makes an opinionated statement. Lewis might end up a portal guy to the SEC and he'll be drafted as well. I don't for one second trust any player eval done by Lemo now.

That's the damn truth as far as pitching goes for sure.....

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 08:39 PM

Ummmmm Ledbetter is about to go top 2 rounds. Care to take that statement back???

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 08:41 PM
You are right, good move by Lemonis cutting Lewis. **

Again, you can't butch all you want about lem but he did the right thing at the time. Not like Lewis had any big offers out of juco. He didn't look like a guy that would ever play here. Still might not have. It was a good call at present and he would have never been here to find out.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 08:42 PM

Dubrule? Yeager??? Ring a bell....

The Federalist Engineer
05-10-2023, 09:02 PM
That's the damn truth as far as pitching goes for sure.....

To be fair, kids grow and develop. Two years is time enough for big gains.

I recall reading a scouting report on Lewis. He was mostly a football player at Vicksburg. He became full time baseball, rather late. Then there was an injury while in HS and was not really super productive in HS. Usually MSU recruits are 450 hitters in HS with reigning triple-crown type numbers. Looks like Lemons saw trough the stats and gave him a chance at MSU.

Probably, he needed to play a lot of baseball to make up for lost time and development. He got that development time at Chipola and now Troy.

In Fall 2021, when this decision was likely made, MSU was a consensus top-10 team, some thought #1 heading into the season. MSU had players that expected to be All-SEC candidates in the positions that Lewis could play. Corner OF had Kellum Clark and Brad Cumbest with Hines as DH. The mistake could be getting Jess Davis, Matt Corder, and Keeping Brayland Skinner for OF spots. In retrospect, those guys had a collective 150 terrible and unproductive at-bats that could have been invested in Lewis with Cumbest playing CF.

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 09:19 PM
Again, you can't butch all you want about lem but he did the right thing at the time. Not like Lewis had any big offers out of juco. He didn't look like a guy that would ever play here. Still might not have. It was a good call at present and he would have never been here to find out.

Neither did Brent Rooker.

Todd4State
05-11-2023, 02:45 AM
To be fair, kids grow and develop. Two years is time enough for big gains.

I recall reading a scouting report on Lewis. He was mostly a football player at Vicksburg. He became full time baseball, rather late. Then there was an injury while in HS and was not really super productive in HS. Usually MSU recruits are 450 hitters in HS with reigning triple-crown type numbers. Looks like Lemons saw trough the stats and gave him a chance at MSU.

Probably, he needed to play a lot of baseball to make up for lost time and development. He got that development time at Chipola and now Troy.

In Fall 2021, when this decision was likely made, MSU was a consensus top-10 team, some thought #1 heading into the season. MSU had players that expected to be All-SEC candidates in the positions that Lewis could play. Corner OF had Kellum Clark and Brad Cumbest with Hines as DH. The mistake could be getting Jess Davis, Matt Corder, and Keeping Brayland Skinner for OF spots. In retrospect, those guys had a collective 150 terrible and unproductive at-bats that could have been invested in Lewis with Cumbest playing CF.

Excellent post.

When a player is asked to move on it's typically so that they can get an opportunity to play the vast majority of the time.

I'm sure we have a few Tanner Leggett's that just want to play for MSU and don't care about playing time but for a lot of guys being on the team for a year or two fulfills the MSU dream and then they can go to Troy or wherever and play.

Homedawg
05-11-2023, 06:43 AM
Neither did Brent Rooker.

Brent rooker didn't leave here and go to juco. But had he, he would have had a ton of p5 offers. Lewis didn't

Pancho
05-11-2023, 07:08 AM
Ummmmm Ledbetter is about to go top 2 rounds. Care to take that statement back???

be careful. you are making my point now******

Homedawg
05-11-2023, 03:52 PM
be careful. you are making my point now******

How? Lewis wasn't playing if Ledbetter Clark or Dakota. Again, nobody wanted him out of juco. He's a Troy. He isn't going in the second round. We did the right thing. Congrats he ms a had a good year and good luck to him.

CaptainObvious
05-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Well to be fair Lemonis didn?t know how bad a job he had done evaluating the players he kept over Lewis. Now you can blame Lemonis for bad recruiting, bad evaluating, bad in game management, bad pitching, bad fielding, woefully inconsistent hitting, poor catching, bad breath and bad deodorant, but you cannot blame the guy for making sure he met the Roster Limit by encouraging guys to go where they could get better coaching.