PDA

View Full Version : The dugout dust-up....

Leroy Jenkins
05-07-2023, 11:08 AM
I'm not gonna clutch my pearls and say teammates shouldn't fight. It happens all the time and it's no big deal. Boys will be boys. The issue I have is it's not a good look after you just got your $hit pushed in. If you have all that fire and energy, how about trying to use it to to win some games. Regulate things out of sight. JMO.

msstate7
05-07-2023, 11:08 AM
Who fought?

MaroonFlounder
05-07-2023, 11:23 AM
Slate is a problem. And he?s not good enough to continue running him out there.

But he will be in the lineup again. He whiffed on the grounder last night, but his defense overall has improved, and he runs into one at the plate that occasionally leaves the yard. So Lem deals with it. At this point, what does it matter? The team is a dumpster fire.

Coach34
05-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Seems like Alford is liked about as much as a transdude at Bud Light headquarters

maroonmania
05-07-2023, 12:04 PM
The whole program is just a nightmare at this point. Hold onto to that NC memorabilia. We won't be getting another one anytime soon.

Saltydog
05-07-2023, 12:21 PM
He and Hines had something similar at Friso earlier in the year from what I understand. All of this is problematic and signs of a program that's on life support. When you get to this point you just gotta pull the plug and start all over.

Coach34
05-07-2023, 12:27 PM
Alford not in the line-up today

was21
05-07-2023, 12:31 PM
State loses today and we'll be tied with Arkansas all time matchups. Right now we have a one game lead.

Quaoarsking
05-07-2023, 12:36 PM
State loses today and we'll be tied with Arkansas all time matchups. Right now we have a one game lead.

We'll still be up 1-0 in national titles though :cool:

Offshore Dawg
05-07-2023, 01:19 PM
The whole program is just a nightmare at this point. Hold onto to that NC memorabilia. We won't be getting another one anytime soon.

Told my New Orleans wife the same thing after the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-07-2023, 01:27 PM
With this team, both players lost the fight.

CaptainObvious
05-07-2023, 01:27 PM
Told my New Orleans wife the same thing after the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Well, to be fair, Hell Froze Over after the Saints won, so??.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-07-2023, 07:03 PM

Might not ever get another one if we're being honest. Took us long enough to get the first one, and we let all that momentum disappear.

Todd4State
05-07-2023, 07:09 PM
My biggest issue is that can't happen in the dugout. Go in the clubhouse and beat each others brains out.

Shows lack of respect for your teammates and reflects really poorly on Lemonis IMO.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-07-2023, 07:23 PM
Sounds like we're approaching Stansbury levels of loss of control.

Homedawg
05-07-2023, 07:37 PM
My biggest issue is that can't happen in the dugout. Go in the clubhouse and beat each others brains out.

Shows lack of respect for your teammates and reflects really poorly on Lemonis IMO.

Happens all the time. Even on great teams. At least words being passed.

Homedawg
05-07-2023, 07:37 PM

Let's not go crazy spinning stuff bc we suck.

SPMT
05-07-2023, 07:40 PM
Might not ever get another one if we're being honest. Took us long enough to get the first one, and we let all that momentum disappear.

We will win another one. Next three years. We are college baseball.

Lemonis will not be the coach.

R2Dawg
05-07-2023, 07:53 PM
He and Hines had something similar at Friso earlier in the year from what I understand. All of this is problematic and signs of a program that's on life support. When you get to this point you just gotta pull the plug and start all over.

Yep this is a sign that we got some big culture/leadership issues. From Stans to Moorhead with same things on the team. This don't happen on championship type teams. We need to start over from the ground up. I hate it but Lemo needs to go. I don't think he can recover from this mess at this point.

Cowbell
05-07-2023, 07:56 PM

Yeah if some of the boys are gonna grow stones, it's going to happen

EdwardDrayton
05-07-2023, 08:16 PM

Alabama maybe. But not us.

SailingDawg
05-07-2023, 08:18 PM
Seems like Alford is liked about as much as a transdude at Bud Light headquarters

Can?t let go of the homophobia, can you? How many balls have you inspected behind closed doors in your coaching career?

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-07-2023, 08:20 PM
Alabama maybe. But not us.

Things have gotten a bit loose over in ttown

sandjunky
05-07-2023, 08:28 PM
Hell I?ve heard Lemonis name come up for the AL job

SpaceBully
05-07-2023, 08:29 PM
Slate is a problem. And he?s not good enough to continue running him out there.

But he will be in the lineup again. He whiffed on the grounder last night, but his defense overall has improved, and he runs into one at the plate that occasionally leaves the yard. So Lem deals with it. At this point, what does it matter? The team is a dumpster fire.

I have a very good view of the dugout, but didn't see anything. I have heard a rumor or two that Slate will be hitting the portal along with some of his better teamates. And one of the rumors is him going back to Butch which was his original commitment.

Pancho
05-07-2023, 08:41 PM
And will he return here if Butch is hired as HC @ MSU?

confucius say
05-07-2023, 09:08 PM
I didn't see any dust up. I also have not heard from anybody who saw it or seen any video.

Cowbell
05-07-2023, 09:25 PM
I didn't see any dust up. I also have not heard from anybody who saw it or seen any video.
I heard it was Hines, DJ, and Mershon telling some of the older guys that it was their team now and they wanted to finish on a good note. Some older guys took issue and were quickly told to back it up with their play.

SPMT
05-07-2023, 09:45 PM
I heard it was Hines, DJ, and Mershon telling some of the older guys that it was their team now and they wanted to finish on a good note. Some older guys took issue and were quickly told to back it up with their play.

Hope that?s true. Like that swag.

No BS Dawg
05-07-2023, 09:49 PM
If there was any swinging, I?m sure they were all misses. No sarcastrics on purpose.

CaptainObvious
05-07-2023, 09:53 PM
If there was any swinging, I?m sure they were all misses. No sarcastrics on purpose.

Well now to be fair, they would have had to take the first two down the middle before swinging wildly at air.

The Federalist Engineer
05-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Hope that?s true. Like that swag.

Did Hancock immediately stand up and show them the little "c" on his uniform? ***

Todd4State
05-07-2023, 10:13 PM

I know. Pretty much every team. Just needs to happen in the clubhouse and not the dugout.

Goldendawg
05-07-2023, 10:15 PM
Did Hancock immediately stand up and show them the little "c" on his uniform? ***

He's had a rough season hitting in SEC play, .211, 1 for 10 for the Arkansas series.

SpaceBully
05-07-2023, 10:38 PM
And will he return here if Butch is hired as HC @ MSU?

No, he would stay at Auburn. I know I would stay if it were me.

Todd4State
05-07-2023, 10:46 PM
No, he would stay at Auburn. I know I would stay if it were me.

I don't want Butch anyway.

Pancho
05-08-2023, 06:13 AM
Butch only wins and his players show a gritty, dirtbag persona that is fun to watch. Other than that, he just wins and goes to Omaha fairly regular.

BeardoMSU
05-08-2023, 07:12 AM
I don't want Butch anyway.

Why not?

basedog
05-08-2023, 07:47 AM
Why not?

I've kinda of softened my feelings for Butch. He has done well at Auburn, now in saying this, I don't see him leaving Auburn unless he has a problem with Cohen. I have no clue who next "coach up" will be at Msu, I just know there are over 300 head coaches at 3 levels in college baseball. No reason why we can't find a good one.

Leroy Jenkins
05-08-2023, 07:48 AM
Why not?

I don't think he would be on anyone's list if he hadn't coached here before. How many people wanting Butch would know his name had he not been on staff here? He would be a solid 3rd or 4th option.

TNDawg35
05-08-2023, 07:50 AM

“I don’t know Barry, seems Hines may be carrying his left a little low. May hurt him in the later rounds…”

Saltydog
05-08-2023, 08:27 AM
Why not?

That's what I keep wondering. He's been to the CWS twice in 5 years at a school that doesn't put that much into baseball and just beat LSU 2/3. That's darn sure better than we're going to do this weekend. He knows Starkville, he knows the SEC and this is home.

sandjunky
05-08-2023, 08:33 AM
Sorry don?t want Butch

CaptainObvious
05-08-2023, 08:48 AM
Sorry don?t want Butch

Who do you want that would come take over this cluster f??

Quaoarsking
05-08-2023, 08:57 AM
Who do you want that would come take over this cluster f??

If our fans will support NIL, any competent coach will have us in the hosting conversation next year. The days of long rebuilds are over.

BeardoMSU
05-08-2023, 09:02 AM
I don't think he would be on anyone's list if he hadn't coached here before. How many people wanting Butch would know his name had he not been on staff here? He would be a solid 3rd or 4th option.

I would usually agree with this sentiment, but in his case, he HAS gone to Omaha twice at school that is usually a league bottom feeder. Obviously him being a former coach at State plays a factor, but its not unearned.

RiverCityDawg
05-08-2023, 11:06 AM

He would be known as much as anyone knows other head coaches names.

I haven't done the research to know the exact number, but I would guess there are VERY few active coaches at programs clearly below ours that have taken their team to the CWS twice. Auburn is an extremely difficult job.

Who else has that on their resume... Other than Bianco?

Not that he's necessarily the best choice, but we could do FAR worse and likely will not hire someone as accomplished as Butch.

Coach34
05-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Butch is in Y7 at Auburn- missed the tourney his 1st season and in 2021. Will likely make the tourney for 5th time this year with 2 CWS appearances and a Super.

We almost assuredly will not hire someone with that kind of a resume other than him. He is 52 tho and I would prefer someone a little younger

KOdawg1
05-08-2023, 11:58 AM
Butch is in Y7 at Auburn- missed the tourney his 1st season and in 2021. Will likely make the tourney for 5th time this year with 2 CWS appearances and a Super.

We almost assuredly will not hire someone with that kind of a resume other than him. He is 52 tho and I would prefer someone a little younger
Yeah people acting like Butch wouldn't be a good hire are mistaken. The dude is putting up results at Auburn, which is one of the worst jobs in the SEC.

He wouldn't be my first call, but he's on the list

Todd4State
05-08-2023, 12:02 PM
Yeah people acting like Butch wouldn't be a good hire are mistaken. The dude is putting up results at Auburn, which is one of the worst jobs in the SEC.

He wouldn't be my first call, but he's on the list

I think Butch would be good but he's not the best hire.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-08-2023, 12:20 PM

Seriously I don't know what's wrong with people. They come across as Texas fans in the early 2010s thinking they could hire Saban from Bama.

We have great fans, great facilities, and a good history. We have mediocre NIL. Our program needs to be built back up. We are a good landing spot, but not so good as to distinguish ourselves from a Vandy, A&M, etc and lure their coach away. That leaves mid majors, assistants, and Butch as the best options.

Butch is making Omaha 1 out of every 3 years at a school that has no fan support, worse facilities, no tradition, and I can't imagine their boosters are supporting Baseball NIL more than us. He SHOULD be able to have more success here. But even a 50% Supers or Omaha rate of success is great, and that's what he's doing there.

confucius say
05-08-2023, 12:57 PM
If our fans will support NIL, any competent coach will have us in the hosting conversation next year. The days of long rebuilds are over.

Our fans aren't supporting it. Even diehards on here won't. We have the worst nil fanbase in the league.

Also, Butch has never won a game in Omaha, has never had more than 16 sec wins, and is about to finish .500 or worse in sec for 5th time in 7 years with a bunch of 4th and 5th year guys.

But maybe that's the best we could do given where we are now and our lack of nil

Goldendawg
05-08-2023, 01:04 PM
Is there anyway to know our total NIL and the breakdown per sport?

Leroy Jenkins
05-08-2023, 02:20 PM
Well if we are going by resumes (re Butch) the guy we have now won a national championship 2 years ago. And Verne Troyer up the road won one last year, would any of you want him?

preachermatt83
05-08-2023, 04:48 PM

He?s taken auburn to multiple cws. Don?t be silly buddy. He?s well known and well liked

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2023, 05:42 PM
Some of you have gotten so singularly focused on one candidate, Haier, that you cannot open yourself up to other possibilities. It is very likely Haier would prefer to stay at Campbell over come here. I do not think some of you realize the shit we are about to eat in the coaching world for firing a coach 2 years removed from a national championship. This is not football where schools are raking in 100 mil plus each and every year.

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2023, 05:43 PM

No school would be stupid enough to release that to anyone not donating 7 figures minimum. You do not let that get out to the general public and have it be used against them in recruiting.

sandjunky
05-08-2023, 05:58 PM
Some of you have gotten so singularly focused on one candidate, Haier, that you cannot open yourself up to other possibilities. It is very likely Haier would prefer to stay at Campbell over come here. I do not think some of you realize the shit we are about to eat in the coaching world for firing a coach 2 years removed from a national championship. This is not football where schools are raking in 100 mil plus each and every year.
Disagree about coaching world turning a nose

If we had been competitive, yes, I would agree

Most reasonable coaches would look at this and say - Lemonis shit the bed given where he started

ZedFedder
05-08-2023, 06:01 PM
Butch would be option 4 or 5 for me.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-08-2023, 06:12 PM
I would venture to say that our Baseball NIL is probably better than 90% of NCAA and middle of SEC.

Leroy Jenkins
05-08-2023, 06:16 PM

You mean eating shit for firing a coach who finished last in the conference 2 years in a row.... despite having more resources than his competition? I don't think so.

Coach34
05-08-2023, 06:37 PM
You mean eating shit for firing a coach who finished last in the conference 2 years in a row.... despite having more resources than his competition? I don't think so.

Baseball is different than football. Thats why you have so many coaches with long careers at one school. Firing Lemon 2 years after a Natty is going to eliminate alot of candidates

Doesnt mean we cant hire a good coach- but it will turn off alot of guys.

Commercecomet24
05-08-2023, 06:43 PM
Baseball is different than football. Thats why you have so many coaches with long careers at one school. Firing Lemon 2 years after a Natty is going to eliminate alot of candidates

This is accurate. 2 different animals.

Coach34
05-08-2023, 06:50 PM
This is accurate. 2 different animals.

and especially no successful coach at a major school would make that jump. We will have to hire a mid-major head or P5 lower, or a top Asst from the SEC/ACC

Leroy Jenkins
05-08-2023, 06:51 PM

I have no doubt he'll be back. The point is, with this mammoth collapse, he shouldn't be.

W-L record aside, there are just too many other issues.

Homedawg
05-08-2023, 07:12 PM
Just a point about butch- and I like butch. But he doesn't change pitchers mechanics. Doesn't believe in it. Says it's too hard to change what they have grown up doing. And if you change something and it doesn't work you get blamed. He will try to change arm slot, but not mechanics. He says he just doesn't recruit those guys. Which sounds great in theory....Just a bit of info

sandjunky
05-08-2023, 07:15 PM
Just a point about butch- and I like butch. But he doesn't change pitchers mechanics. Doesn't believe in it. Says it's too hard to change what they have grown up doing. And if you change something and it doesn't work you get blamed. He will try to change arm slot, but not mechanics. He says he just doesn't recruit those guys. Which sounds great in theory....Just a bit of info

Changing mechanics for the sake of changing mechanics is a recipe for an arm injury

Changing mechanics based on biomechanic efficiency is another story

Homedawg
05-08-2023, 07:22 PM
Changing mechanics for the sake of changing mechanics is a recipe for an arm injury

Changing mechanics based on biomechanic efficiency is another story

He doesn't change them period is my point. Straight out of his mouth to my ears.

Coach34
05-08-2023, 07:23 PM

You know how old we are? We coached against each other 25 years ago. Wow time flies

I agree with Butch in that I would not recruit guys that had a major mechanics issue no matter how talented. In this day and age there are too many kids out there that should be pretty solid mechanically. But the biggest problem to me has been our willingness to recruit throwers vs pitchers. I get the mentality of spin rate and arm talent- but you also just have to recruit "pitchers". Guys that can just get people out.

JP France for example. Transferred in from Tulane and had a good year for us his Sr year. Wasnt overpowering but could pitch. Just got called up for the Astros.

Pancho
05-08-2023, 07:24 PM
Sounds like he can identify talent that can in most cases actually throw strikes. At least they throw more % strikes than the Lemo/Fox system.

Saltydog
05-08-2023, 07:34 PM

Never knew that but I like how he taught our pitchers to attack the bottom half of the zone. . . . . We turned a lot of DP's under Butch. . . . .

sandjunky
05-08-2023, 07:35 PM
He doesn't change them period is my point. Straight out of his mouth to my ears.
I don?t doubt that but if you change arm slot you are changing mechanics

sandjunky
05-08-2023, 07:44 PM
You know how old we are? We coached against each other 25 years ago. Wow time flies

I agree with Butch in that I would not recruit guys that had a major mechanics issue no matter how talented. In this day and age there are too many kids out there that should be pretty solid mechanically. But the biggest problem to me has been our willingness to recruit throwers vs pitchers. I get the mentality of spin rate and arm talent- but you also just have to recruit "pitchers". Guys that can just get people out.

JP France for example. Transferred in from Tulane and had a good year for us his Sr year. Wasnt overpowering but could pitch. Just got called up for the Astros.

I?ve said this for a min now - whether it?s foxhall tinkering or what

Graveman was a pitcher - what 90-92 at state - now runs up to 99

Fascinating dude to talk pitching with and how he wants his catchers to receive each pitch

Coach34
05-08-2023, 08:26 PM
I?ve said this for a min now - whether it?s foxhall tinkering or what

Graveman was a pitcher - what 90-92 at state - now runs up to 99

Fascinating dude to talk pitching with and how he wants his catchers to receive each pitch

Agree. I was a guy that threw 80 with a very good sinker and split FB that dropped down and in to righties. So I got a shit ton of ground balls. I could 4-seam about 82 at the hands and did that at times to keep hitters honest. I gave up 2 HR's in 2 years of juco with a career ERA in the 3's. I could just pitch.(for context- that's late 80's so ease up on the comparision to today). I knew nobody was coming after me because I didnt throw hard enough to move up a level. And I couldnt hit a slider to play everyday in the SEC. But I do regret not taking that offer to walk-on at Okra U.

We need more guys that can pitch. Holcombe has alot of talent and his country ass can sling it. But Holcombe is a thrower- not a pitcher. I like the kid. But we need fewer of these of more Cade's.

Homedawg
05-08-2023, 08:35 PM

Technically speaking yes. I'm referring to leg swingers, cross body, tilted shoulders, drop and drive, any of the other hundreds of things that can cause issues. He doesn't touch em

Coach34
05-08-2023, 08:37 PM

Homedawg is an outstanding baseball mind. Not just a fan

Coach34
05-08-2023, 08:42 PM
Technically speaking yes. I'm referring to leg swingers, cross body, tilted shoulders, drop and drive, any of the other hundreds of things that can cause issues. He doesn't touch em

kinda explains our pitching recruiting while he was at State

Thompson's changing arm slots on Girodo to make a guy that couldnt get anybody out to a guy that was outstanding out of the pen is one of the greatest transformations in coaching I've seen.

DownwardDawg
05-08-2023, 08:57 PM
I wish Lemonis would figure it out. I like the dude. But I like winning more.

basedog
05-08-2023, 09:42 PM
Quote from 34
?We need more guys that can pitch. Holcombe has alot of talent and his country ass can sling it. But Holcombe is a thrower- not a pitcher. I like the kid. But we need fewer of these of more Cade's.?

34, you nailed! Cade is much better imo when he stays in low 90?s, he seems to be throwing more up in the zone, I don?t see him using his breaking ball as much either. Something changed.
JMO

Homedawg
05-08-2023, 10:28 PM
Agree. I was a guy that threw 80 with a very good sinker and split FB that dropped down and in to righties. So I got a shit ton of ground balls. I could 4-seam about 82 at the hands and did that at times to keep hitters honest. I gave up 2 HR's in 2 years of juco with a career ERA in the 3's. I could just pitch.(for context- that's late 80's so ease up on the comparision to today). I knew nobody was coming after me because I didnt throw hard enough to move up a level. And I couldnt hit a slider to play everyday in the SEC. But I do regret not taking that offer to walk-on at Okra U.

We need more guys that can pitch. Holcombe has alot of talent and his country ass can sling it. But Holcombe is a thrower- not a pitcher. I like the kid. But we need fewer of these of more Cade's.

It's the entire world of baseball and I don't like it. Obviously, our problems are worse than the rest. But how bout this stat, outside of skenes LSU's staff era in sec games was 7.15 BEFORE sundays game, one they got routed in!!! Skenes is a game changer and changed that entire team. Just think if we had him and Cade were our sat guy.... others have stated it but that stat points it out.

HoopsDawg
05-09-2023, 02:06 AM
It's the entire world of baseball and I don't like it. Obviously, our problems are worse than the rest. But how bout this stat, outside of skenes LSU's staff era in sec games was 7.15 BEFORE sundays game, one they got routed in!!! Skenes is a game changer and changed that entire team. Just think if we had him and Cade were our sat guy.... others have stated it but that stat points it out.

We are 1-7 in SEC openers so yeah Skenes would have probably saved their jobs.

shoeless joe
05-09-2023, 10:49 AM

The difference from then to today is that today you would have gone to driveline and actually threw upper 80s and maybe 90 and therefore would have never HAD to learn to pitch. You would have just been a thrower.

The mechanics of control are lost on this generation in exchange for velocity because velocity gets noticed. I?ve coached many a showcase all star that gets lots of attention but cant consistently record outs at the high school level because they?re 3-1 on every hitter and walk the bases loaded before the second out.

I?ve never been a mechanics changer myself. Although a tweak here or there can do wonders. The key to any part of the game is the mental side. I coached a grade A asshole shithead of a kid about 10+ years ago. He ended up quitting before his senior year because he refused to act like a decent human. But the son of a gun was a scrappy dirt bag of a ball player that flat understood the game. If there was an out to be made he got it. He wasn?t full of physical talent but he was as mentally sharp a ball player as I?ve coached. This is what?s missing in todays game. Players that fully pay attention and understand. All these metrics and data have taken that away and it is unfortunate.

Schultzy
05-09-2023, 10:51 AM
Seems like more hitters these days are mechanically sound to catch up to that 96mph fastball that being a pitcher is more valuable than being a thrower and was glad to see this articulated by baseball guys.

confucius say
05-09-2023, 11:01 AM
We are 1-7 in SEC openers so yeah Skenes would have probably saved their jobs.

Cade had great outings against OM and Auburn that we wasted. Solid against ark too.
Throw him on Saturday and he will get some wins.