PDA

View Full Version : Mike Leach

Lord McBuckethead
05-05-2023, 08:24 PM
Just saw my signed football on my shelf. Kind of miss that guy.

bobcat91
05-05-2023, 08:48 PM
Mississippi State was a better program for him being our HC. We can discuss his offense, etc, but what he brought us was a lot of attention and good will. He was a much loved guy.

Homedawg
05-05-2023, 09:03 PM
Mississippi State was a better program for him being our HC. We can discuss his offense, etc, but what he brought us was a lot of attention and good will. He was a much loved guy.

Glad we had him

Skydawg1
05-05-2023, 09:04 PM
And such a damn good Football coach. FG kicking aside, all 3 phases of the game were solid.

Cooterpoot
05-05-2023, 09:23 PM
Shit

SpaceBully
05-05-2023, 09:31 PM
Where is Mike's final resting place? I never heard. Cody, Wyoming?

Coach34
05-05-2023, 09:59 PM
Leach was a good football coach and by and large- a good dude.

ZedFedder
05-05-2023, 10:12 PM
I was frustrated with the offense sometimes, but there is no doubt the man knew how to run a program. I think Arnett will keep it going.

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2023, 10:27 PM
Glad he went out a winner.

R2Dawg
05-06-2023, 07:15 AM
X&Os aside, Leach brought stability back and restored the locker room that we had lost under Moorhead. Leach kept us from returning to the cellar where we were headed previously.

Dawgface
05-06-2023, 07:46 AM
Where is Mike's final resting place? I never heard. Cody, Wyoming?

I wondered about that. I bet he would have preferred to scatter his ashes in the Key West area.

BrunswickDawg
05-06-2023, 09:01 AM
I'm just sad that so many (yes I know message boards aren't the whole fan base) didn't seem to enjoy it. Throwing out a nutty COVID season Leach was 16-10 and 8-8 in the SEC. We won 9 games this year and if you read a lot of message boards you'd think we were Tech and Ten. Outside of Jackie, Leach is the coach I have enjoyed the most and felt like he understood MSU and actually wanted to be in Starkville. I hope ZA can continue to build on that.

State82
05-06-2023, 09:19 AM
Mississippi State was a better program for him being our HC.

Absolutely true.

Quaoarsking
05-06-2023, 09:40 AM
I don't think I enjoyed being a Mississippi State fan, day-in day-out, more in any 3-year stretch than I did during Leach's tenure here.

Yes, there were high highs under Mullen and Sherill too, but I'm talking about the midweeks and offseason too.

RiverCityDawg
05-06-2023, 12:13 PM
I wondered about that. I bet he would have preferred to scatter his ashes in the Key West area.

I bet Leach would have said "Why would I care, I'll be dead."

Glad we got to be part of his legacy and he part of ours.

EdwardDrayton
05-06-2023, 05:04 PM

+1. More than a little MBH

EdwardDrayton
05-06-2023, 05:08 PM

Yes. He went out one of us and proud he is a part of our legacy. Miss him. All Dawg, Forever Dawg.

EdwardDrayton
05-06-2023, 05:09 PM
I don't think I enjoyed being a Mississippi State fan, day-in day-out, more in any 3-year stretch than I did during Leach's tenure here.

Yes, there were high highs under Mullen and Sherill too, but I'm talking about the midweeks and offseason too.

Without a doubt Q. Wish we'd had more time with him.

EdwardDrayton
05-06-2023, 05:12 PM
Glad he went out a winner.

Think he would consider it the perfect ending.

R2Dawg
05-06-2023, 09:08 PM

Not sure how close you followed but mid 96 to early 2001 was as good a stretch ever in Bulldog history. We even had Thrusday night ESPN guys talking about MSU and a NC. Seems like 50 years ago.

Todd4State
05-06-2023, 11:51 PM
I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive but it's a real tragedy for us because he passed away right when he got everything in place for one of his random out of nowhere 11 win seasons.

If there is any justice in the world we'll go 11-1 next year.

I felt like last year we really got stable as a program for the first time since Dan left and then Mike passes away.

To me, he is one of the most innovative football minds of all time. Up there with Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, June Jones, and Emory Bellard. We're very fortunate he was with us for part of his career.

Todd4State
05-06-2023, 11:54 PM
Not sure how close you followed but mid 96 to early 2001 was as good a stretch ever in Bulldog history. We even had Thrusday night ESPN guys talking about MSU and a NC. Seems like 50 years ago.

Yeah. I always hear our fans talk about how great 2014 was. That was basically every year from 1998-2000. And really you know 1996 we beat Alabama that won the SEC West that year and the Egg Bowl, 1997 was the worst year in that era and we still beat SEC West Champ Auburn that year and then 1998 and 1999 were the pinnacle. So many memorable games. And then 2000 we beat Auburn and Florida that both won the division that year and the Snow Bowl. 2010 and 2022 were pretty good years and even though a lot of our fans run the team down because of Croom 2007 was a good year too.

From like 1994-2000 we beat every team in the SEC except for Georgia.

parabrave
05-07-2023, 01:02 AM
Yeah. I always hear our fans talk about how great 2014 was. That was basically every year from 1998-2000. And really you know 1996 we beat Alabama that won the SEC West that year and the Egg Bowl, 1997 was the worst year in that era and we still beat SEC West Champ Auburn that year and then 1998 and 1999 were the pinnacle. So many memorable games. And then 2000 we beat Auburn and Florida that both won the division that year and the Snow Bowl. 2010 and 2022 were pretty good years and even though a lot of our fans run the team down because of Croom 2007 was a good year too.

From the What would've been Dept, If Sleepy hadn't got hurt we would've won the SEC that year.

Todd4State
05-07-2023, 01:06 AM
From the What would've been Dept, If Sleepy hadn't got hurt we would've won the SEC that year.

True. In 1992. Greg Plump was pretty awful. We beat Florida in 1992 as well when they won the SEC East.

We've had way too many "what would have been's" in MSU football.

parabrave
05-07-2023, 01:15 AM
True. In 1992. Greg Plump was pretty awful. We beat Florida in 1992 as well when they won the SEC East.

We've had way too many "what would have been's" in MSU football.

And we had Michael Davis.

R2Dawg
05-07-2023, 08:30 AM

Yep, I just moved to Alabama in 96 and it was sweet. MSU became the most hated team in SECW because we beat everyone. No we didn't win every game but we could have. We didn't lay many eggs in that stretch (except LSU in 98, still don't know where that game came from but we still won SECW). We also just beat people up. No one wanted to play MSU Jackie back then.

Captain Falcon
05-08-2023, 03:33 PM
I received a copy of Swing Your Sword for Christmas in 2021, life happened and I never got around to reading it. Shortly after Leach passed away, I picked it up and for the first time realized it was a signed copy, something I never realized before. I cried my eyes out for about 10 minutes. Never once met the guy but felt like I lost a friend. I admired so much about that man.

I was in Jordan Hare Stadium for the comeback from down 28-3 in 2021. That game and the 2014 game in Tiger Stadium are 1A and 1B at the top of my list for favorite games I have attended. Also helps that I found out I was going to be a dad just days before that Auburn game, so I technically count that as the first game I went to with my daughter.

confucius say
05-08-2023, 04:11 PM
I hope this doesn't come across as insensitive but it's a real tragedy for us because he passed away right when he got everything in place for one of his random out of nowhere 11 win seasons.

If there is any justice in the world we'll go 11-1 next year.

I felt like last year we really got stable as a program for the first time since Dan left and then Mike passes away.

To me, he is one of the most innovative football minds of all time. Up there with Bill Walsh, Don Coryell, June Jones, and Emory Bellard. We're very fortunate he was with us for part of his career.

He should be in the college football hall of fame. That he won't be because of .10 win percentage shy of 60% is stupid. They guy never coached at anything close to a blue blood.

smootness
05-08-2023, 06:32 PM
Yeah. I always hear our fans talk about how great 2014 was. That was basically every year from 1998-2000.

Well that's not true at all. That was a super fun, great stretch, no doubt. And '99 was a blast for sure. But nothing compares to 2014. It's not the final result, it was the unbelievable 3-week ride to #1 and then staying there at the top of college football for over a month. We've never had a stretch like that in the history of the program, and it will probably take a long, long time before we experience it again.

Captain Falcon
05-08-2023, 06:38 PM
Well that's not true at all. That was a super fun, great stretch, no doubt. And '99 was a blast for sure. But nothing compares to 2014. It's not the final result, it was the unbelievable 3-week ride to #1 and then staying there at the top of college football for over a month. We've never had a stretch like that in the history of the program, and it will probably take a long, long time before we experience it again.

The difference for me is that in 2014 we won 10 games in a year where the entire SEC West was in a bowl game, whereas our run in the late 90?s came when the West was historically weak and our East crossover games in ?98 and ?99 were EXTREMELY favorable.

R2Dawg
05-08-2023, 07:49 PM

For the short burst of 2/3 of football season, no doubt 2014 wins it but for a sustainted 4-5 years, late 90s is unmatched.

R2Dawg
05-08-2023, 07:53 PM
The difference for me is that in 2014 we won 10 games in a year where the entire SEC West was in a bowl game, whereas our run in the late 90?s came when the West was historically weak and our East crossover games in ?98 and ?99 were EXTREMELY favorable.

14 was great no doubt but it you want to play the spin game.

Yeah and everybody gets a bowl these days compared to 90s. That don't mean a lot. TAMU that year was over rated as usual. Bama was down that year in 14 as well. LSU was not as good that year either. Auburn was pretty good but that about it.

98 we took the NC UT to task in SECCG. We were legit. If JJ hadn't been hurt, who knows. Poor ole MSU fans always say rest of SEC was down when we win.

Lord McBuckethead
05-08-2023, 08:26 PM
Surely they are going to change that rule. Dude would be first ballot.

Coach34
05-08-2023, 09:01 PM
98 was incredible- we returned a punt in the 4th Q to lead the undefeated #1 team in the country with 13 mins left in the game. Millions were worried we would change the entire bowl match-ups. Tenn fans were losing their mind. They thought it would be an easy 17+ point win

2014's loss to Bama ended any end of season drama .

DownwardDawg
05-08-2023, 10:49 PM

Yeah and everybody gets a bowl these days compared to 90s. That don't mean a lot. TAMU that year was over rated as usual. Bama was down that year in 14 as well. LSU was not as good that year either. Auburn was pretty good but that about it.

98 we took the NC UT to task in SECCG. We were legit. If JJ hadn't been hurt, who knows. Poor ole MSU fans always say rest of SEC was down when we win.

I'll never ever forget those years.

Todd4State
05-08-2023, 11:26 PM

I think 1980 where we beat Miami on the road, Auburn, #1 Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss was comparable.

1999 was a better overall season than 2014. Would have been an 11-2 season if we had played 12 games that year.

Captain Falcon
05-09-2023, 09:56 AM

I just think you have to acknowledge that the schedule benefited us greatly in 98 and 99. Avoiding UT/UF/UGA in the regular season both years was a massive break. And South Carolina was dreadful at the time, even worse than Vandy who was also bad, and we got to play both of them both years. Auburn and LSU were also sub .500 teams in 98 and 99.

Those years were still great, but 2014 at its peaked is unmatched in my opinion. That mid season stretch from the LSU game through the Bama game was surreal in terms of what we accomplished and just seeing us at No. 1 in the polls for over a month.

Captain Falcon
05-09-2023, 09:59 AM
98 was incredible- we returned a punt in the 4th Q to lead the undefeated #1 team in the country with 13 mins left in the game. Millions were worried we would change the entire bowl match-ups. Tenn fans were losing their mind. They thought it would be an easy 17+ point win

2014's loss to Bama ended any end of season drama .

We were still in the Top 4 of the Playoff rankings until the Egg Bowl. I think we would have eventually gotten leapfrogged by Ohio State and felt like we got screwed, but that is just speculation, and the entire regular season had massive stakes.

Coach34
05-09-2023, 10:15 AM
We were still in the Top 4 of the Playoff rankings until the Egg Bowl. I think we would have eventually gotten leapfrogged by Ohio State and felt like we got screwed, but that is just speculation, and the entire regular season had massive stakes.

I hear ya but we were 13 minutes away from the Sugar Bowl and an SEC title in 1998. The entire sportsworld was watching that game and it affected multiple teams and their bowl destinations

Todd referenced 1980- that was very comparable to 2014 in that we kept winning and were in the running for the Sugar Bowl into mid-November. Georgia's miracle play to beat Florida and then their win over Auburn the next week eliminated us right before the last game of the season.

gtowndawg
05-09-2023, 11:12 AM

He was a good captain.

smootness
05-09-2023, 12:32 PM
From a pure excitement/attention/fun standpoint, nothing comes close to 2014. Being #1 and the center of the college football universe for over a month is something no other year can come close to matching.

State82
05-09-2023, 03:57 PM
From a pure excitement/attention/fun standpoint, nothing comes close to 2014. Being #1 and the center of the college football universe for over a month is something no other year can come close to matching.

And it gave us something that will forevermore be etched in college football history and will be a tough trivia question for most any diehard college fan except us: Which team was No. 1 in the very first CFP poll?