PDA

View Full Version : Oswalt

Randolph Dupree
05-03-2023, 06:32 PM
I don't know how to link tweets but anybody see Roy Oswalt's tweet? 👀

BeardoMSU
05-03-2023, 06:34 PM
This one?

https://twitter.com/royoswalt44net/status/1653857225729884160?t=ByMkS_7wuYW13VSQwk-R_A&s=19

TNDawg35
05-03-2023, 06:54 PM
Seems like a lot of smoke… Wonder if they are giving him an audition or is this a “we just need someone to help us finish the year out and call pitches thing…”

Randolph Dupree
05-03-2023, 07:11 PM
This one?

https://twitter.com/royoswalt44net/status/1653857225729884160?t=ByMkS_7wuYW13VSQwk-R_A&s=19
That's it. No idea how to do that. Thank you!

Randolph Dupree
05-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Seems like a lot of smoke… Wonder if they are giving him an audition or is this a “we just need someone to help us finish the year out and call pitches thing…”

IF it amounts to anything I would assume it's an interim.

viverlibre
05-03-2023, 07:35 PM
On this board, I suggested him several weeks ago and was immediately shouted down by someone who posted we'd never get him off the bar stool at one of his restaurants.

Lord McBuckethead
05-03-2023, 07:46 PM
Dude was a great pitcher that was in the game for a long time. I am sure he can teach our dudes to have a killer instinct and call pitches. Hell, I can also do that.

SaintDawg
05-03-2023, 08:26 PM
On this board, I suggested him several weeks ago and was immediately shouted down by someone who posted we'd never get him off the bar stool at one of his restaurants.

Same here. Looks like we aint as dumb as we were told. LOL

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-03-2023, 08:33 PM
I don't know anything about Oswalts personal life, but he grew up and still is a State fan, chooses to like in Starkville, and is retired.

I never thought it was a dumb idea that he'd volunteer 2 months of his time to be our intern PC. Why not? Why wouldn't he do it? Man's been retired for 10 years maybe getting "back in the game" with a short term no strings attached local gig is what he wants

basedog
05-03-2023, 08:48 PM
I could be all in with Him. I hope that is a real tweet and it’s a hint what he might do.

Homedawg
05-03-2023, 09:22 PM
I think Roy is jerking some chains....

parabrave
05-03-2023, 09:44 PM
What about Gary Rath? At least he does have JC coaching experience!

Homedawg
05-03-2023, 09:53 PM
What about Gary Rath? At least he does have JC coaching experience!

Let's be honest an interim doesn't do anything. He can't change mechanics, etc etc. this staff has been terrible. We aren't going to a regional. It really doesn't matter. Rath was an all time bulldog on the mound!!! Incredible competitor!!

ZedFedder
05-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Robbie seems to think it has legs.

Todd4State
05-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Robbie seems to think it has legs.

If he wants to do it as an interim why not?

Not sure I want him to be the full time pitching coach though because of the recruiting angle- no idea if he would or could be good at that or not.

viverlibre
05-04-2023, 08:03 AM
Bo Bounds just emphatically said Oswalt will not be the pitching coach and that Oswalt was going to the Kentucky Derby.

TheLostDawg
05-04-2023, 08:10 AM
If he wants to do it as an interim why not?

Not sure I want him to be the full time pitching coach though because of the recruiting angle- no idea if he would or could be good at that or not.

Because I have no idea. To bring in someone temporary until the season ends to call pitches/ go through the motions in practice, how bad of an idea would that be? Yall always say once the season starts there isn't much change in things anyway

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2023, 08:18 AM
Bo Bounds just emphatically said Oswalt will not be the pitching coach and that Oswalt was going to the Kentucky Derby.

Sounds like he's a done deal then! Welcome Roy!

viverlibre
05-04-2023, 08:20 AM
Sounds like he's a done deal then! Welcome Roy!

haha!!!

basedog
05-04-2023, 08:31 AM
Bert Stare says hello**

KB21
05-04-2023, 08:34 AM
https://cdispatch.com/sports/2020-02-12/talented-newcomers-roy-oswalts-pitching-expertise-have-starkville-academy-baseball-feeling-confident/

Rook said Oswalt helped him finally find his change-up and command all his pitches, and other Starkville Academy players found the former Houston Astros starter similarly helpful.

?Every time you pitch, he teaches you something new,? senior Michael Winfield said. ?He?s definitely helped me with my velocity and even my spin rate and just grips on any pitch. His knowledge is unlike anybody?s I?ve ever seen.?

Oswalt said that his goal is to teach the Volunteers? staff how to pitch deep into a game while minimizing their pitch count.

?If they can do that, we?re gonna win a whole lot of ballgames,? Oswalt said. ?That?s how I had success in the big leagues: getting deep into games, winning the games late, and that?s what I?m trying to teach these guys.?

KB21
05-04-2023, 08:40 AM
Butch did this at Auburn when he brought Tim Hudson on board. Their pitching was very effective under Tim as well.

StarkVegasSteve
05-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Roy is not an option nor was he ever an option. We were never bringing in an interim. Roy probably tweeted that out to rile up some of the fans. He is not dumb and he can read Twitter and the message boards. He knows people were throwing it out there so why not have a little fun with it. This is not opinion either. It is fact. Steve just cleared it up as well.

Roy would be a great option if he actually wanted to put forth the time. However, he does not.

Leroy Jenkins
05-04-2023, 10:47 AM
He must have changed his mind because he said he would do it (about a year ago), maybe he wasn't serious.

Homedawg
05-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Roy is not an option nor was he ever an option. We were never bringing in an interim. Roy probably tweeted that out to rile up some of the fans. He is not dumb and he can read Twitter and the message boards. He knows people were throwing it out there so why not have a little fun with it. This is not opinion either. It is fact. Steve just cleared it up as well.

Roy would be a great option if he actually wanted to put forth the time. However, he does not.

This. He was jerking chains and got a kick out of it.

WSOPdawg
05-04-2023, 12:07 PM
https://cdispatch.com/sports/2020-02-12/talented-newcomers-roy-oswalts-pitching-expertise-have-starkville-academy-baseball-feeling-confident/

Rook said Oswalt helped him finally find his change-up and command all his pitches, and other Starkville Academy players found the former Houston Astros starter similarly helpful.

?Every time you pitch, he teaches you something new,? senior Michael Winfield said. ?He?s definitely helped me with my velocity and even my spin rate and just grips on any pitch. His knowledge is unlike anybody?s I?ve ever seen.?

Oswalt said that his goal is to teach the Volunteers? staff how to pitch deep into a game while minimizing their pitch count.

?If they can do that, we?re gonna win a whole lot of ballgames,? Oswalt said. ?That?s how I had success in the big leagues: getting deep into games, winning the games late, and that?s what I?m trying to teach these guys.?

This exactly opposite of Foxhall's philosophy that really taxes the bullpen with "lesser" arms and talent... you're SPers are your better pitchers for a reason so why not get them deeper into the game? I would love for Roy to spend time with our guys.

StarkVegasSteve
05-04-2023, 12:42 PM
Roy would do it if it was on his terms. The problem is that his terms is one or two days a week for an hour or two and you have to work around his schedule. That is one of the reasons why it did not work out at Starkville Academy.

viverlibre
05-04-2023, 01:43 PM
Roy would do it if it was on his terms. The problem is that his terms is one or two days a week for an hour or two and you have to work around his schedule. That is one of the reasons why it did not work out at Starkville Academy.

Maybe he can be a consultant? I can't remember the term that Saban uses for "off the field" coaches, but they have a ton.

Leroy Jenkins
05-04-2023, 01:45 PM
Analyst

Homedawg
05-04-2023, 01:50 PM

this

StarkVegasSteve
05-04-2023, 03:54 PM
Maybe he can be a consultant? I can't remember the term that Saban uses for "off the field" coaches, but they have a ton.

Well there is also some smoke that he may be taking over at Starkville Academy. I do not see it because of the time commitment but Roy has done crazier things so I would not put it past him.

KOdawg1
05-04-2023, 05:40 PM
I can understand Lemonis not wanting to bring him in.

If we improve even slightly (which it's hard to get much worse), there will be massive pressure to hire him full time, and that's just a head ache he'd rather not deal with.

Same reason you won't see Jay Powell brought in.

sandjunky
05-05-2023, 06:36 AM
Well there is also some smoke that he may be taking over at Starkville Academy. I do not see it because of the time commitment but Roy has done crazier things so I would not put it past him.

Where is Berkery going?

SPMT
05-05-2023, 06:57 AM

I can?t see that

Homedawg
05-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Where is Berkery going?

Rumored to not be back

StarkVegasSteve
05-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Where is Berkery going?

They brought Berkerey in to try and unseat Magnolia Heights and now they realized that they are a killing machine at the moment and no one can beat them. I think they have lost like 8 games the last two years.

tcdog70
05-06-2023, 09:38 PM
Got to have a degree..

Leroy Jenkins
05-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Got to have a degree..

...to be employed as a coach, yes. He doesn't need to be employed by the school to work with guys.