PDA

View Full Version : a little basketball news to get your mind off of Baseball ,,,

99jc
04-30-2023, 08:22 PM
After all the moving parts in the transfer portal, CBS Sports released an updated top 25 and 1 ranking ahead of the new season. Texas took a significant jump in the rankings, while some others fell down on the list. Here is a look at the latest top 25 and 1 from CBS.

CBS Sports Top 25 and 1 for the 2023-24 season
UConn
Purdue
Marquette
Duke
Florida Atlantic
Alabama
Kansas
Michigan State
Houston
Arkansas
Creighton
Gonzaga
Miami
Kentucky
San Diego State
Tennessee
USC
Texas A&M
Texas
UCLA
Saint Mary?s
Auburn
Baylor
Arizona
Iowa State
Mississippi State

Coach34
04-30-2023, 08:39 PM
Need a guy that can knock down some 3's. Obviously Tolu would be great to have as well but he is going to get some huge offers

msstate7
04-30-2023, 08:42 PM
Didnt someone say portal ends may 11th? Need to figure out roster

HoopsDawg
04-30-2023, 10:29 PM
Didnt someone say portal ends may 11th? Need to figure out roster

It's incredibly disappointing we haven't brought in a single portal guy for a visit

msstate7
05-01-2023, 07:10 AM
It's incredibly disappointing we haven't brought in a single portal guy for a visit

Looks like we running it back, and jans is betting on his recruiting class. Hopefully he's right

KentuckyDawg13
05-01-2023, 07:20 AM
Is DJ Jeffries coming back? Article mentions Tolu too.

Pretty amazing to go from where they were to pre-season (almost) rankings (26).

Also, very disappointing we didn't get one portal transfer.

NCMSTFAN
05-01-2023, 08:47 AM
Yes the portal closes May 11th, we currently have 2 available spots, maybe more depending on what Tolu does. There were rumors that McNair might leave also depending on Tolu's decision so we may have anywhere from 2 to 4 spots open.

Alot of the guys we were recruiting out of the portal chose other schools. Getting Hubbard helps but it's always hard relying on a Freshman. We really need a couple scorers/shooters, we struggled alot offensively. Maybe the JUCO guys help out but it's hard relying on that too. With so many people in the portal I don't know why Jans struggles to get a solid portal guy

Tater
05-01-2023, 10:16 AM

I mean I feel like this is false. Don't we have someone lined up for a visit as well. Like from WVU (name is escaping me). We just haven't closed the deal on one.

trob115
05-01-2023, 10:46 AM
Last day to enter the portal is the 11th. We can add anyone in the portal until last day of add/drop in the fall semester.

We are on a couple guys. Patience patience patience.

If you want to see more traction on the transfers, up your NIL contributions. Jans biggest piece is getting Tolu back. He's also eating up about 60% of our NIL budget. Nothing official yet, but he is leaning towards returning. DJ is also expected back.

HoopsDawg
05-01-2023, 01:39 PM
I mean I feel like this is false. Don't we have someone lined up for a visit as well. Like from WVU (name is escaping me). We just haven't closed the deal on one.

Not false. I'll try not to take offense

Tater
05-01-2023, 02:19 PM
Not false. I'll try not to take offense

Name I heard was passed second hand and I never investigated that it was a women's player. "Darian" (Darrione) Rogers. But we do have Jimmy Bell from WVU lined up for a visit.

NCMSTFAN
05-01-2023, 07:39 PM
Roger's will be a really nice pickup if Purcell can seal the deal. He already got a transfer PG out of the portal who averaged 21 ppg and 6 assist at a Big East school, Seton Hall. He will field a good product on the womens side no doubt.

Jimmy Bell is a solid backup Center for Jans if he gets him but he averaged 5 ppg and 5 rpg at WVU.. not really what we need right now. We badly need proven scoring, especially on the perimeter. Who is our current go-to perimeter guy? We need an Iverson molinar, Q. Weatherspoon, DJ Stewart type perimeter player.

Coach34
05-01-2023, 08:07 PM
We need a guy that can make an open look from 3. We couldnt do that this past season. Shit, our season ended on an open look from 3

HoopsDawg
05-01-2023, 08:11 PM
We need a guy that can make an open look from 3. We couldnt do that this past season. Shit, our season ended on an open look from 3

To me, it's crazy that we haven't locked up a shooter yet. Dead last in the country in 3 point FG %

Ari Gold
05-01-2023, 10:17 PM

Who says we haven’t ? And who says Jans hasn’t been into multiple living rooms of portal guys

msu15
05-01-2023, 10:18 PM
To me, it's crazy that we haven't locked up a shooter yet. Dead last in the country in 3 point FG %

And it wasn't like we took bad shots either. Most of those misses our guy was screaming open.

HoopsDawg
05-01-2023, 10:51 PM
Who says we haven’t ? And who says Jans hasn’t been into multiple living rooms of portal guys

I'm not sure what you mean. Just looking at the facts as of today. So far, 0 portal players have signed or visited.

Pancho
05-02-2023, 06:35 AM
And you in fact have said evidence that Jans hasn't a portal guy visit? Has Jans not gone and met face to face with any portal guys either?

NCMSTFAN
05-02-2023, 07:21 AM
Whether we've had any portal guys visit or not, as of now we don't have a committment from anyone. I've seen several names of players we are after, alot of them have since committed elsewhere. I just hope we get a proven guy or two from a high major program or a very successful mid major. I know Jans loves defense but we need some guys who can also put the ball through the net at a consistent basis also

HoopsDawg
05-02-2023, 10:54 AM
And you in fact have said evidence that Jans hasn't a portal guy visit? Has Jans not gone and met face to face with any portal guys either?

We have reached out to numerous players. No takers yet. I feel confident we sign 2 portal guys. I don't feel confident that they will be high end scorers.

msstate7
05-02-2023, 11:23 AM
We have reached out to numerous players. No takers yet. I feel confident we sign 2 portal guys. I don't feel confident that they will be high end scorers.

I don't think they have to be big time scorers. Just need 2 guys that can hit in the vicinity of 40% from 3.

NCMSTFAN
05-02-2023, 02:16 PM

I agree with this, but I hope I'm wrong.. we need go to perimeter guys especially

NCMSTFAN
05-02-2023, 02:21 PM
I don't think they have to be big time scorers. Just need 2 guys that can hit in the vicinity of 40% from 3.

We need a guy or two that we can put the ball in his hands at any point in the game and know he will go get us a bucket or get fouled and make his free throws. We didn't have that guy last year and that's why we struggled so much on Offense.

As good as we were defensively we were just as bad offensively. We only had one guy to average double figures in points, we were the worse team in College basketball from the 3 point line, we were a bad free throw shooting team and we only averaged 65 ppg which was the lowest since 2014 led by Rick Ray with a team with very little talent. We need scorers in a bad way.

RockyDog
05-03-2023, 08:58 AM

There were 40 guys that shot 40% or better last season and 22 of them were seniors. Doesn't look like too big of a list. The leading shooter was from UNO and there's another guy from North Alabama. Just throw a small bag at them and see if their game translates to SEC competition.

msstate7
05-03-2023, 09:10 AM
There were 40 guys that shot 40% or better last season and 22 of them were seniors. Doesn't look like too big of a list. The leading shooter was from UNO and there's another guy from North Alabama. Just throw a small bag at them and see if their game translates to SEC competition.

Vicinity = 35+