PDA

View Full Version : Candidate list

AlSwearengen
04-30-2023, 12:09 PM
I think it is getting pretty close to an appropriate time to start a legitimate list of realistic candidates. At this point, the only possible reason Lemonis survives are the optics of firing a coach that won a title 2 years ago and the recruiting classes he has lined up. We will see what happens but people are pretty salty and I don?t see a positive end to the season coming.

That said, who is on the list of realistic candidates?

Pancho
04-30-2023, 12:26 PM
Butch

viverlibre
04-30-2023, 12:49 PM
I think he's back, especially if he fires Fox.

basedog
04-30-2023, 12:56 PM

Only way I could see him leaving Auburn would be him not liking Cohen. There is absolutely no reason we can't hire a good Coach. It could be an assistant or lower division school, but we have everything needed to get a good one.

Coach34
04-30-2023, 01:12 PM

Agree

somebodyshotmypaw
04-30-2023, 01:26 PM

I think next season is Lemonis, GoTro, Cheese, and a new pitching coach.

viverlibre
04-30-2023, 01:31 PM

Yuup

WinningIsRelentless
04-30-2023, 01:47 PM
Jay Powell had a great post of Twitter yesterday about todays pitching coaches.

Offshore Dawg
04-30-2023, 02:23 PM
Have any of you checked with the new AD and told him what you think he should do.

Leroy Jenkins
04-30-2023, 02:45 PM
Have any of you checked with the new AD and told him what you think he should do.

Well, since he works for us.... I don't see why not.

BeardoMSU
04-30-2023, 04:05 PM

I'm ok with that, as long it's a totally different pitching philosophy than what we have.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-30-2023, 04:14 PM
I'm ok with that, as long it's a totally different pitching philosophy than what we have.

I'm not. Firing Fox fixes the pitching, but that's it. The leagues worst defense? Lemo and GoTro. Not pursuing a transfer catcher because Hancock could handle it? Lemo and Cheese. A team culture that laid down and died at the end of last season (what was it, 14 straight SEC loses?)? Lemo. A team that laid down and died this weekend, even letting Hines get tackled without a fight? Lemo.

Fix the pitching coach and we may be good enough to make a Regional, but I don't think we can build a Omaha caliber team with this culture and non pitching flaws.

PGHBulldogBG
04-30-2023, 04:18 PM
Lemo returning and Foxhall getting fired is my prediction. I’m not sure I feel that is the best way to go, but I think that is how it will play out. My concern is the ability for Lemonis to find a quality pitching coach when his leash will be shorter than pretty much any coach in the conference. I don’t have any type of TV streaming or packages outside of YouTube TV so I rarely watch baseball games. A big concern I have seen fans on here say is that players and laughing and smiling in games we have big leads. That to me is even a bigger concern than Lemons w/l record this year. It shows signs of Moorheadish behavior. Once that starts, it’s hard to repair and if this truly is happening Lemonis needs to go ASAP

schddog72
04-30-2023, 04:27 PM

I don't see how this is acceptable to anyone!! Lemonis will not, I repeat NOT, be able to attract interest from and hire a quality pitching coach when Lemo has the guillotine hanging over his neck and waiting to drop after one more sub-par season. Thinking a change of just the pitching coach will fix MSU baseball is sheer folly!! This will carry over into recruiting as well - whether HS or transfer portal. A lame-duck coach will not be able to recruit either playing talent or quality assistant coaches. It's just like a football coach working on a 1-yr. contract; he's a short-timer and everyone out there knows it. It's time for a new baseball regime at MSU!!

WinningIsRelentless
04-30-2023, 04:39 PM
I don't see how this is acceptable to anyone!! Lemonis will not, I repeat NOT, be able to attract interest from and hire a quality pitching coach when Lemo has the guillotine hanging over his neck and waiting to drop after one more sub-par season. Thinking a change of just the pitching coach will fix MSU baseball is sheer folly!! This will carry over into recruiting as well - whether HS or transfer portal. A lame-duck coach will not be able to recruit either playing talent or quality assistant coaches. It's just like a football coach working on a 1-yr. contract; he's a short-timer and everyone out there knows it. It's time for a new baseball regime at MSU!!

Yes he will. It might cost us a two or three year contract. But what we pay our baseball assistants is top 10 in the country.

Dawgface
04-30-2023, 04:48 PM

And he will probably improve a tad over this year. Meaning he gets even another year and we're stuck with crap baseball for 4 straight years.

msudawg1200
04-30-2023, 05:06 PM

But what pitching coach would come here, as it most likely could be a lame duck situation?

basedog
04-30-2023, 05:18 PM
Don't look now but Ole Dixie and Missouri are one game back from us. Not getting in Sec Tourney may cost Lemonis his job this year. Oh how times have changed. I can't recall being in the bottom two years straight, matter of fact I can't recall finishing at the bottom but maybe in RP 2 era.

BuckyIsAB****
04-30-2023, 05:35 PM
You cannot keep this staff if you miss Hoover. Simple as that.

basedog
04-30-2023, 05:36 PM
Missouri plays Ole Dixie next weekend. We got Arkansas. Who wins 2 games next weekend besides Arkansas.

Quaoarsking
04-30-2023, 05:44 PM
Does anyone think that Lemonis is ever going to get us back into being a national title contender?

I wouldn't be shocked if we made the Tournament next year since most SEC do, but does anyone think that we'll get back to the point under Lemonis where we're hosting Regionals more often than a random fluke year and getting to Omaha with a realistic shot to win it all?

If you do think he can do that, then it would make sense to give him another year. I myself do not have any faith that that can happen. It's not just that our pitching sucks. We are fundamentally weak (not weak-minded or weak-hearted, just weak at fundamentals) and are less than the sum of our parts. That's a huge red flag to me that the coaching is the problem, and that's why I support firing Lemonis, even though I still love the guy for what he accomplished here.

The worst case scenario is that we keep Lemonis, we have another losing SEC record in 2024 but sneak into a Regional anyway (which we do not win), and maybe that happens again in 2025, but a bunch of our fans think that just making the Regionals are enough and there is less momentum to get rid of him in 2025 than there is today, and we just sink into merely being a mediocre baseball program that makes Regionals more often than not simply because SEC teams have good RPIs usually.

Pancho
04-30-2023, 07:26 PM
The SEC is only getting more competitive with TX and OK soon joining. His lackadazicle approach to managing a team will secure us as bottom feeders in the league.

Coach34
04-30-2023, 07:37 PM
But what pitching coach would come here, as it most likely could be a lame duck situation?

One that makes alot less than we would pay and would get a 2 year contract when most get a 1 year deal. A coach could make here in two years what it would take 8 years or more at other schools

99jc
04-30-2023, 08:12 PM

yes, i sent him an email when we lost 15 sec in a row. he replied.!

Coach34
04-30-2023, 08:14 PM

You guys got to understand- Coastal Carolina- ranked 6th in the country currently- has a pitching coach that probably makes 1/5 of what Fox makes.

Commercecomet24
04-30-2023, 08:25 PM
You guys got to understand- Coastal Carolina- ranked 6th in the country currently- has a pitching coach that probably makes 1/5 of what Fox makes.

Not only way more money but coaches at this level have supreme confidence in their ability and they will come in believing they can improve things, and it's a chance to coach at an sec program.

Cooterpoot
04-30-2023, 08:25 PM
If we finish last (and we have a great shot at that), the whole staff is gone. If we finish like we did last season, the whole staff is gone. There's no reason to keep any of them anyway, but I could see us keeping Lemonis if we don't finish last and miss Hoover.

Coach34
04-30-2023, 08:27 PM
Starkville High's football coach likely makes as much or more than Cheese does

SPMT
04-30-2023, 08:38 PM
One that makes alot less than we would pay and would get a 2 year contract when most get a 1 year deal. A coach could make here in two years what it would take 8 years or more at other schools

If we can?t find a good one we aren?t trying.

C34 is on the game! We act like we have to get the Yankees pitching coach when win reality if the HC gives two shits, he will find a good one that wants to get paid.

basedog
04-30-2023, 08:41 PM
Not only way more money but coaches at this level have supreme confidence in their ability and they will come in believing they can improve things, and it's a chance to coach at an sec program.

There are more than 300 baseball head coaches. Probably 1500 assistants, in saying this there are many coaches with goals and a chance to prove themselves. To think we can’t do better is foolish thinking. It’s about getting right guy that is hard.

SPMT
04-30-2023, 08:41 PM
I'm not. Firing Fox fixes the pitching, but that's it. The leagues worst defense? Lemo and GoTro. Not pursuing a transfer catcher because Hancock could handle it? Lemo and Cheese. A team culture that laid down and died at the end of last season (what was it, 14 straight SEC loses?)? Lemo. A team that laid down and died this weekend, even letting Hines get tackled without a fight? Lemo.

Fix the pitching coach and we may be good enough to make a Regional, but I don't think we can build a Omaha caliber team with this culture and non pitching flaws.

Yeah, we really need to clean house but we won?t. So, next step is fix the worst of the town or at areas.

CaptainObvious
04-30-2023, 09:18 PM
Yeah, we really need to clean house but we won?t. So, next step is fix the worst of the town or at areas.

This is the answer. We need to make Starkville into Fayetteville, Knoxville, Palo Alto, Nashville, or the Southwestern Corner of Baton Rouge? When do we get started? I got a hammer and a saw.

CaptainObvious
04-30-2023, 09:30 PM
I think I am about to throw up in my mouth if we keep anyone on this staff, especially Lemonis.

Commercecomet24
04-30-2023, 09:47 PM
There are more than 300 baseball head coaches. Probably 1500 assistants, in saying this there are many coaches with goals and a chance to prove themselves. To think we can’t do better is foolish thinking. It’s about getting right guy that is hard.

No doubt about it.

Homedawg
04-30-2023, 09:56 PM
We have a big buyout of staff if we can them all. Maybe we do. Not saying that's any reason to keep lem. Fox is gone. But as I've said before someone has to cut a check. And w nil, we need those w checkbooks to give to that. Anyway, Houston, we have a problem. And there is a money problem. I'm sure I'm gonna get blitzed w we have a 100 mil budget yada yada yada. Those that say that have no clue and don't know how it works.

SpaceBully
04-30-2023, 10:11 PM
Yes he will. It might cost us a two or three year contract. But what we pay our baseball assistants is top 10 in the country.

Speaking of contracts.....is Lemon in the 2nd year of his new contract that started in 2022?

Cowbell
04-30-2023, 11:11 PM
We have a big buyout of staff if we can them all. Maybe we do. Not saying that's any reason to keep lem. Fox is gone. But as I've said before someone has to cut a check. And w nil, we need those w checkbooks to give to that. Anyway, Houston, we have a problem. And there is a money problem. I'm sure I'm gonna get blitzed w we have a 100 mil budget yada yada yada. Those that say that have no clue and don't know how it works.

So you're saying to hope we keep getting run-ruled so people put their money where their mouth is...

Todd4State
04-30-2023, 11:50 PM
Does anyone think that Lemonis is ever going to get us back into being a national title contender?

I wouldn't be shocked if we made the Tournament next year since most SEC do, but does anyone think that we'll get back to the point under Lemonis where we're hosting Regionals more often than a random fluke year and getting to Omaha with a realistic shot to win it all?

If you do think he can do that, then it would make sense to give him another year. I myself do not have any faith that that can happen. It's not just that our pitching sucks. We are fundamentally weak (not weak-minded or weak-hearted, just weak at fundamentals) and are less than the sum of our parts. That's a huge red flag to me that the coaching is the problem, and that's why I support firing Lemonis, even though I still love the guy for what he accomplished here.

The worst case scenario is that we keep Lemonis, we have another losing SEC record in 2024 but sneak into a Regional anyway (which we do not win), and maybe that happens again in 2025, but a bunch of our fans think that just making the Regionals are enough and there is less momentum to get rid of him in 2025 than there is today, and we just sink into merely being a mediocre baseball program that makes Regionals more often than not simply because SEC teams have good RPIs usually.

With a different pitching coach? Potentially. By my count I see eight games that we should have won with even halfway competent just pitching staff management alone.

Record wise that would put us about where Arkansas is right now.

I'm actually impressed we have a winning record with a staff ERA getting close to 7.

Todd4State
04-30-2023, 11:54 PM
So you're saying to hope we keep getting run-ruled so people put their money where their mouth is...

I think he's saying hope we pull it together enough to keep Lemonis because that is what is in our best interest as a program. But if he tanks and loses out we'll do whatever we have to do but it's going to be very costly.

And the people that we're going to need money from for buyouts and getting a new staff in here are in a perfect world needed to use that money on NIL for better players.

The Federalist Engineer
05-01-2023, 12:50 AM
Jay Powell had a great post of Twitter yesterday about todays pitching coaches.

"Nah just throw it harder that works. After spending 3 weeks in the cape cod league this summer I see the problem. These kids have zero guidance in college. No can teaches pitch to contact, most of them throw 96 but throw 78% sliders. It?s mind numbing"

"Pitching to miss barrels leads to high intensity high pitch count outings, low innings = blow outs. You see a kid on twitter repost making a hitter look stupid on a swing but gives up 5 in 2 innings. We are putting importance on the wrong thing."

That second tweet was Jackson Fristoe. Give up 3 runs, walk 2, but strike the last guy out. Fist Pump.

But Bucket Boy has been watching all this too. I don't buy the National Championship immunity we toss around. The Yankees would fire a coach if he won the 2021 series but only won 60 games in the next two seasons. Gone.

basedog
05-01-2023, 07:18 AM
"Nah just throw it harder that works. After spending 3 weeks in the cape cod league this summer I see the problem. These kids have zero guidance in college. No can teaches pitch to contact, most of them throw 96 but throw 78% sliders. It?s mind numbing"

"Pitching to miss barrels leads to high intensity high pitch count outings, low innings = blow outs. You see a kid on twitter repost making a hitter look stupid on a swing but gives up 5 in 2 innings. We are putting importance on the wrong thing."

That second tweet was Jackson Fristoe. Give up 3 runs, walk 2, but strike the last guy out. Fist Pump.

But Bucket Boy has been watching all this too. I don't buy the National Championship immunity we toss around. The Yankees would fire a coach if he won the 2021 series but only won 60 games in the next two seasons. Gone.

Jay Powell was on target in my book.

TNDawg35
05-01-2023, 08:00 AM
Y’all wait til we go to LSU. They may hit 10 homers a game and score 20 against us… good part is we will only need pitching and 7 inning games the way they hit…

If I was Lemonis, I would throw Gartman/Lo against Skenes and then throw Cade against their Sunday guy. After Skenes, their pitching is very thin…