PDA

View Full Version : We started the season

Cowbell
04-29-2023, 03:23 PM
Without enough SEC arms. In the portal era, that should never ever ever happen here again. Almost every non-conference team we have played has pitchers that we could steal that would be better than what we have in the bullpen and several better than our starters.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-29-2023, 03:35 PM
Without enough SEC arms. In the portal era, that should never ever ever happen here again. Almost every non-conference team we have played has pitchers that we could steal that would be better than what we have in the bullpen and several better than our starters.

Our issue is definitely pitching. Is it recruiting and evaluation? Or do we recruit and evaluate well, then screw them up when they arrive?

State82
04-29-2023, 03:48 PM
That may very well be the case. However, look who is managing those arms. I think there in lies the answer.

parabrave
04-29-2023, 03:50 PM
Have we set the record for being run ruled??

Cowbell
04-29-2023, 03:53 PM
Our issue is definitely pitching. Is it recruiting and evaluation? Or do we recruit and evaluate well, then screw them up when they arrive?

Both. We didn't have enough good arms to start with. And we didn't improve the ones we had.

Cowbell
04-29-2023, 04:06 PM
That may very well be the case. However, look who is managing those arms. I think there in lies the answer.

It's part of the answer. But the head coach should've known we didn't have enough SEC caliber arms going into the freaking season.

State82
04-29-2023, 04:10 PM
It's part of the answer. But the head coach should've known we didn't have enough SEC caliber arms going into the freaking season.
Yes, it ultimately falls on his doorstep for sure.

And the reason the entire bunch needs to clean out their offices.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-29-2023, 04:52 PM
It's pitching. We will have plenty of great bats drafted this year. The pitching falls at the feet of Foxhall, and he should be the one responsible for it.

maroonmania
04-29-2023, 07:27 PM
It's pitching. We will have plenty of great bats drafted this year. The pitching falls at the feet of Foxhall, and he should be the one responsible for it.

In baseball pitching should always be priority one, so I don't agree that all the blame goes to Foxhall when Lemonis is supposedly over the whole program.

Cowbell
04-29-2023, 08:37 PM
In baseball pitching should always be priority one, so I don't agree that all the blame goes to Foxhall when Lemonis is supposedly over the whole program.

Correct. I guess we should not blame Zach if our offense sucks this year**

HoopsDawg
04-29-2023, 09:17 PM

Combination of evaluation, recruiting, and development. This really started with Lemonis signing classes a few years ago and we are paying this price now.

jcpeewee
04-29-2023, 09:32 PM
Combination of evaluation, recruiting, and development. This really started with Lemonis signing classes a few years ago and we are paying this price now.

�� this right here is the correct answer.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2023, 09:45 PM
We're too predictable in our pitching approach. If I'm an opposing hitting coach here's my scouting report on us: they pitch away with everything, fastball and off speed, don't have to worry with getting beat by an inside fastball because they never throw one and if they do it's a mistake. Take away the outer half and if it's spinning let it go, hunt fastball. If they get ahead in the count they nibble even further away so if it's spinning let it go because it won't be a strike, hunt fastball. You only have to worry about protecting the outer half.

If I'm a hitter and only have to worry about covering half the plate you're screwed as a pitcher. I don't care how good your stuff is if you're as predictable as we are you're gonna get hit eventually, part of the reason our starters don't go deep. Our pitch selection and pitch calling is not good. Teams sit on our stuff because they know what's coming. Heck I watch it every game and if I get it I guarantee sec hitting coaches get it. We have to many good arms that are getting hit because of our predictability and also the reason we walk so many

SPMT
04-29-2023, 10:32 PM
We're too predictable in our pitching approach. If I'm an opposing hitting coach here's my scouting report on us: they pitch away with everything, fastball and off speed, don't have to worry with getting beat by an inside fastball because they never throw one and if they do it's a mistake. Take away the outer half and if it's spinning let it go, hunt fastball. If they get ahead in the count they nibble even further away so if it's spinning let it go because it won't be a strike, hunt fastball. You only have to worry about protecting the outer half.

If I'm a hitter and only have to worry about covering half the plate you're screwed as a pitcher. I don't care how good your stuff is if you're as predictable as we are you're gonna get hit eventually, part of the reason our starters don't go deep. Our pitch selection and pitch calling is not good. Teams sit on our stuff because they know what's coming. Heck I watch it every game and if I get it I guarantee sec hitting coaches get it. We have to many good arms that are getting hit because of our predictability and also the reason we walk so many

That is sad. Like you say if you get it and the rear of us get it??you know paid coaches are locked in.

Possible fix though. Possible easy fix.

Todd4State
04-29-2023, 11:53 PM

I think it's development that's the issue.

Todd4State
04-29-2023, 11:55 PM

It's so painful to watch.

It's like we don't even try to have scouting reports on people.

Commercecomet24
04-30-2023, 12:10 AM
It's so painful to watch.

It's like we don't even try to have scouting reports on people.

Painful is exactly the right word.

You're right, we pitch every hitter the same way regardless, it's way to predictable

Todd4State
04-30-2023, 01:29 AM

His mistake was not firing Foxhall. The issues we're having now are the same ones we had last year. Lemonis is at practice and should be keeping tabs of that. And I know that Lemonis is not a pitching guy but there are some very obvious issues I can see from the stands that are very basic.

Rawdawg
04-30-2023, 07:20 AM
I think it's development that's the issue.

It?s a case by case issue. Which imo makes it worse. For example we were the only school to offer Yntema. Tyson Hardin was signed because his trainer went to the citadel with Fox. Then you have guys like Parker Stinett and KC Hunt who have been what they are since they arrived. If Lemonis is back I really really hope he has a massive overhaul of the pitching staff.