PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas is out recruiting MSU in our own state!

BlackSailsDawg
04-28-2023, 09:26 PM
That's friggin embarrassing. How does ARKANSAS get 2 top 10 players? Ok, one is listed as 12 currently but he is a 4 star and will be top 10.

The point is that Bama and others will raid that top 10 too. For me, that's not acceptable when you sell us on locking down this state and the reason for those hires.

CaptainObvious
04-28-2023, 09:56 PM
Somebody has to be at the bottom pushing up the rest of the league in Academics and Athletics I guess that will be us.

BlackSailsDawg
04-28-2023, 10:01 PM
There are no words for this frick up!

DownwardDawg
04-28-2023, 10:17 PM
It's called NIL. The days of us getting the best in state recruits are over.

99jc
04-28-2023, 10:20 PM
every one of you shut the 17 up you are just spoiled.***

StarkVegasSteve
04-28-2023, 11:37 PM
It's called NIL. The days of us getting the best in state recruits are over.

No it is called all those recruiters that everyone thought we hired are not actually good recruiters. They are actually average at everything. Maybe Arnett will figure that out and get rid of them.

BlackSailsDawg
04-29-2023, 12:34 AM
I can not fathom who thought this was the way! If we are changing styles, fine. But put the money into the staff. We are allow Sam friggin PITTBOSS to beat us in our OWN state..

Bama, Auburn, UGA.. OUR own back yard... 4 star RB from West Point to FLORIDA!!! Now PITTBOSS!!! That's down right embarrassing.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2023, 02:06 AM
EL OH EL

SpaceBully
04-29-2023, 04:04 AM
I can not fathom who thought this was the way! If we are changing styles, fine. But put the money into the staff. We are allow Sam friggin PITTBOSS to beat us in our OWN state..

Bama, Auburn, UGA.. OUR own back yard... 4 star RB from West Point to FLORIDA!!! Now PITTBOSS!!! That's down right embarrassing.

Well, dangit.....let's just go over to Arkansas and get a couple of their top ten players. That'll show them.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2023, 08:01 AM
$$$

So simple

Leeshouldveflanked
04-29-2023, 08:10 AM
Its still April, but Cohen and Leach not embracing NIL really put us way behind.

Really Clark?
04-29-2023, 09:06 AM
Follow the money, who has it and who don't. We are playing catch up. BTW, you are insinuating they are just beating out us, that's incorrect thinking. These other teams are beating out both us and UM, who claim to have competitive NIL to the league. It's not a MSU issue

DownwardDawg
04-29-2023, 10:01 AM
Follow the money, who has it and who don't. We are playing catch up. BTW, you are insinuating they are just beating out us, that's incorrect thinking. These other teams are beating out both us and UM, who claim to have competitive NIL to the league. It's not a MSU issue

People that don't like the coaching staff are going to blame the coaching staff. It doesn't matter if we had Leach, Mullen, JWS, etc...... NIL has changed everything. Arnette can compete with any other coach if he has the funds to do so. If not, we ain't getting those 4 star defensive linemen from Mississippi that we always have gotten.

Coach34
04-29-2023, 10:22 AM
Been saying NIL was going to start rearing its ugly head- well, here it is. EVERY prospect now expects to get paid. EVERY one of them

662dawg
04-29-2023, 10:23 AM
I can't believe a bunch of grown men are melting down over recruiting... IN APRIL 🤣 & over a 6' 190 linebacker 😂 he is a good athlete though but geez guys it's APRIL. We are going to finish between 20 & 30 in recruiting this year just like every other year. We to through this EVERY YEAR.

Leroy Jenkins
04-29-2023, 11:16 AM
Holla at me when they sign. This class will be between 25-35 just like it has been for the last 4 coaches.

Dawgface
04-29-2023, 11:20 AM
The wishbone offense won?t attract good players.

Cowbell
04-29-2023, 11:22 AM
Holla at me when they sign. This class will be between 25-35 just like it has been for the last 4 coaches.

Yep. And half of those will enter the portal before they ever play.

Cowbell
04-29-2023, 11:23 AM
I have a feeling we are going to spend more time in the portal this year due to losing so many upperclassman. And I don't have one problem with it.

maroonmania
04-29-2023, 11:36 AM
Been saying NIL was going to start rearing its ugly head- well, here it is. EVERY prospect now expects to get paid. EVERY one of them

Yep, every prospect, every current player already on the roster and every player in the transfer portal. And they expect to renegotiate every year. College sports is a total chaotic shitshow.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-29-2023, 11:45 AM
Very frustrating time to be a mississippi state fan....

Starting to feel like "the old days" again. I should probably be the good parent and push my kids towards my wife's alma mater rather than mine. They'll thank me one day.

DownwardDawg
04-29-2023, 12:11 PM
They have ruined college sports.

EdwardDrayton
04-29-2023, 12:56 PM
We sold all the mobile homes to go to Omaha. We po'.

BlackSailsDawg
04-29-2023, 01:04 PM

I don't care about ole miss. They are not the stick by which we should measure

Really Clark?
04-29-2023, 01:11 PM
I don't care about ole miss. They are not the stick by which we should measure

Of course you don't, it disrupts your agenda that it's only a MSU problem with our staff so you can complain instead looking at the answer to the problem...NIL.

RezDog7
04-29-2023, 01:26 PM
What recruit did we lose that I'm supposed to be upset about?

Lord McBuckethead
04-29-2023, 04:23 PM

Absolutely. Wouldn?t you?

Offshore Dawg
04-29-2023, 04:29 PM
Can't compete with that Walmart money.

maroonmania
04-29-2023, 04:31 PM
Seriously, can't Brandon Walker buy us a guy from West Point?

Offshore Dawg
04-29-2023, 04:41 PM
State will still get the leftovers due to lack of NIL funds.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-29-2023, 04:47 PM
I can tell you who's not buying a player....my family.

I'm small potatoes though. But the same story is coming from a friend of mine's family (Godparents to my daughter, so legitimate close friends, not cousins aunts coworkers pet groomer), and they are not small potatoes, I'd guess top 5-10 families as far as donations go, and they laughed at me when I asked about NIL. If it's up to alumni to move the needle, we're in for a bumpy road.

Really Clark?
04-29-2023, 04:54 PM
Absolutely. Wouldn?t you?

The disconnect is that NIL was to allow the individual players to market themselves to make money. It's not a pay to sign scheme, even though it's what many said was it would evolve too. And it has. Either that has to be stopped or regulated in some way or nobody can complain about signing classes of their favorite team. Because it strictly will be based on how much you can afford.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2023, 05:09 PM
The disconnect is that NIL was to allow the individual players to market themselves to make money. It's not a pay to sign scheme, even though it's what many said was it would evolve too. And it has. Either that has to be stopped or regulated in some way or nobody can complain about signing classes of their favorite team. Because it strictly will be based on how much you can afford.

This 100%!

DownwardDawg
04-29-2023, 05:13 PM
Of course you don't, it disrupts your agenda that it's only a MSU problem with our staff so you can complain instead looking at the answer to the problem...NIL.

You nailed this one. 100%

KB21
04-30-2023, 12:34 AM
That's friggin embarrassing. How does ARKANSAS get 2 top 10 players? Ok, one is listed as 12 currently but he is a 4 star and will be top 10.

The point is that Bama and others will raid that top 10 too. For me, that's not acceptable when you sell us on locking down this state and the reason for those hires.

The excuses will be rolling in. I haven?t read the thread, but I imagine someone has tried to blame this on Mike Leach. You won?t see them admit that Arnett screwed up by not retaining most of the previous staff.

Todd4State
04-30-2023, 01:10 AM
The excuses will be rolling in. I haven?t read the thread, but I imagine someone has tried to blame this on Mike Leach. You won?t see them admit that Arnett screwed up by not retaining most of the previous staff.

It is a bit surprising to me that we've started off this slowly in recruiting.

Tony Hughes is good. Bumphis I thought would be better than he has although I figured he would be overrated like T-Buck was. Friend has been around. I'm not sure about Schmidt. Turner has a good history and he seems to come through at the end. He's definitely earned the right for me to be patient with him. Brock is pretty good. McBath is good. Both Leach guys ironically. Don't know enough about Dehurst to form an opinion. Mele was OK.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-30-2023, 07:55 AM
The frustrations with college football in general has me leaning towards more excitement with the saints than state. Never been that way before.

WPS
04-30-2023, 08:46 AM
Marcus Woodson.

Arkansas dramatically improved the defensive recruiting staff over the offseason. Odom just wasn?t a very good recruiter.

That said, even I?m surprised at the success we?ve had in Mississippi and I?m still skeptical if we?ll be able to hold on to them the whole way.

SilentSteel16
04-30-2023, 09:18 AM
I can tell you who's not buying a player....my family.

I'm small potatoes though. But the same story is coming from a friend of mine's family (Godparents to my daughter, so legitimate close friends, not cousins aunts coworkers pet groomer), and they are not small potatoes, I'd guess top 5-10 families as far as donations go, and they laughed at me when I asked about NIL. If it's up to alumni to move the needle, we're in for a bumpy road.

Very true, I know personally a guy who dumps well over a million a year into State and he told me to my face “if it gets sent to a player he will withdraw it.” And yes his name is on a building on campus.

662dawg
04-30-2023, 11:25 AM
What recruit did we lose that I'm supposed to be upset about?

Julius Pope, a 6'0 190(very generous measurements) linebacker from South Panola. Good athlete, but is a linebacker in college. Can't play safety in the SEC.

DownwardDawg
04-30-2023, 11:31 AM
Very true, I know personally a guy who dumps well over a million a year into State and he told me to my face “if it gets sent to a player he will withdraw it.” And yes his name is on a building on campus.

All of us GenX'rs, the ones donating most of the money, are fast losing interest in college sports because of NIL and transfer portal. The only hope I see, is that I know 100% that this isn't sustainable, so when it all crashes down, it will be re-configured in a way that draws people back. Which would mean more competitive.

DEDawg
04-30-2023, 11:36 AM
I can't believe a bunch of grown men are melting down over recruiting... IN APRIL 🤣 & over a 6' 190 linebacker 😂 he is a good athlete though but geez guys it's APRIL. We are going to finish between 20 & 30 in recruiting this year just like every other year. We to through this EVERY YEAR.

I cant believe a grown man is using laughing emojis, yet here we are

msu15
04-30-2023, 12:03 PM
All of us GenX'rs, the ones donating most of the money, are fast losing interest in college sports because of NIL and transfer portal. The only hope I see, is that I know 100% that this isn't sustainable, so when it all crashes down, it will be re-configured in a way that draws people back. Which would mean more competitive.

Us and Ole Miss could also merge. That'd help tremendously.

Goldendawg
04-30-2023, 01:31 PM
It is a bit surprising to me that we've started off this slowly in recruiting.

Tony Hughes is good. Bumphis I thought would be better than he has although I figured he would be overrated like T-Buck was. Friend has been around. I'm not sure about Schmidt. Turner has a good history and he seems to come through at the end. He's definitely earned the right for me to be patient with him. Brock is pretty good. McBath is good. Both Leach guys ironically. Don't know enough about Dehurst to form an opinion. Mele was OK.

Friend of mine with some connections told me that a person here in MS sports (didn't give his name) has somehow/somewhat reached the level of an "advisor" in these current recruiting times (NIL, etc) to many players' families and has been advising most top MS players to go out of state.

Goldendawg
04-30-2023, 01:40 PM

Got to happen. Even NFL and other sports have team salary caps/contracts and this is now nearing minor league pro sports.

bulldawg28
04-30-2023, 01:41 PM
Friend of mine with some connections told me that a person here in MS sports (didn't give his name) has somehow/somewhat reached the level of an "advisor" in these current recruiting times (NIL, etc) to many players' families and has been advising most top MS players to go out of state.

I've heard of a guy that this is happening with. I informed him to cut ties with that relationship.

662dawg
04-30-2023, 01:51 PM
I cant believe a grown man is using laughing emojis, yet here we are

So resort to insults instead the rebuttal? First signs of a coward with no argument.

SpaceBully
04-30-2023, 02:48 PM

That's probably when the SuperDuper Football Conference will come into it's own. Whether MSU will be a part of it remains to be seen. Not too optimistic at this point, but we'll just have to wait and see how it pans out. If MSU didn't make the SuperDuper conference, I would still support MSU and buy tickets like I have always. There'll be a lot of good competitive teams that won't make it also.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-30-2023, 03:24 PM
This is where it's headed.

Geographic location means nothing to conferences anymore, and all be big names but like 4-5 are now concentrated in just 2 conferences. I think at some point they'll split off from the NCAA and form their own "minor league" or "division 1+" so they can keep the TV money and not be subject to poor schools having a say in how they do things.

Now, will the SEC drag schools like State along with them? Or will they replace us with a more "valuble" program like FSU? Imo it depends on whether they want a punching bag or not. I will NOT watch State sports if we are just going to be the easy W for big programs that spend 3x what we do.

The schools that are left behind will be Utah, Texas Tech, Virginia, etc. I could see them come together and say "enough with this pay for play big TV deal bullshit" and go back to regional conferences with actual "student" requirements on the "student athlete". Basically what FCS is now compared to us.

To me, THAT is a college team. This Portal hired gun BS is just making our university into a minor league.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2023, 03:25 PM

I guess I still don't understand why some of our fans don't understand this.

We've known this was coming. It's here. Give money to the Bulldog Initiative if you want to do something. But folks have to realize coaches aren't the primary factor in recruiting anymore. We will get kids if we pay them more. The limiting factor in recruiting is money.

Folks can get pissed off, blame the staff and watch us get worse or they can get pissed off and start donating more. What's not going to happen is getting pissed, doing nithing, and expecting us to get better.

schddog72
04-30-2023, 04:43 PM

We've known this was coming. It's here. Give money to the Bulldog Initiative if you want to do something. But folks have to realize coaches aren't the primary factor in recruiting anymore. We will get kids if we pay them more. The limiting factor in recruiting is money.

Folks can get pissed off, blame the staff and watch us get worse or they can get pissed off and start donating more. What's not going to happen is getting pissed, doing nithing, and expecting us to get better.

Nailed it!!

DEDawg
04-30-2023, 05:19 PM
So resort to insults instead the rebuttal? First signs of a coward with no argument.

Not an insult. Just an observation.

662dawg
04-30-2023, 05:59 PM
Not an insult. Just an observation.

Gotcha. My observation stands as well.

Commercecomet24
04-30-2023, 06:17 PM

This! It's all about who can offer the most money now. A kid can love State and another school can offer twice or three times as much. What would you do? It doesn't matter how good a recruiter or salesman you are if your offer ain't better you ain't closing the deal.

Homedawg
04-30-2023, 06:24 PM

Leach is a reason we are behind. Like it or not. He didn't like it nor do I. But unfortunately, that's where we play. And bc if nil we are going to fall farther behind. But you will say that it's be bc we run the ball too much.

DownwardDawg
04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Leach is a reason we are behind. Like it or not. He didn't like it nor do I. But unfortunately, that's where we play. And bc if nil we are going to fall farther behind. But you will say that it's be bc we run the ball too much.
Lol. 100%!
KB will be the one person thinking our coaching staff sucks at recruiting when we are getting out spent by all other SEC teams.

Commercecomet24
04-30-2023, 06:46 PM
Lol. 100%!
KB will be the one person thinking our coaching staff sucks at recruiting when we are getting out spent by all other SEC teams.

Yep and I think we all know the old saying "Money talks and bs walks" and that's what college sports is now.

Coach34
04-30-2023, 07:13 PM
Im just ready for the Fall when we win at least 8 as we did last year and the offense is ranked higher than it was in 2022.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Very true, I know personally a guy who dumps well over a million a year into State and he told me to my face ?if it gets sent to a player he will withdraw it.? And yes his name is on a building on campus.

Most Mississippi families operate with a blue collar budget. They?re not just going to blindly give away significant amounts of money with zero knowledge of how/where it?s used.

We all see where this is going. And it's nowhere beneficial for a school like Mississippi State.

We're tiny in comparison to a lot of schools. Think Purdue, Minnesota, Baylor, Pitt. We're bottom of the SEC, and that's not very advantageous for us in ?pay to play/play to win? times.

There's very little statistical chance of us being able to even come close to the larger schools. We just don?t have the numbers and that means we don't have the donors/money. I'll continue buying my club level tickets until it becomes unbearable, and that takes a lot less for me than it does my father.

It seems as if this is the beginning of the end of Mississippi state football. We?re so far behind it almost makes sense to just blow up football and focus on baseball/basketball.

I hope I'm wrong.

R2Dawg
04-30-2023, 07:32 PM

The ballon will burst at some point. Yes it will appear a few get ahead but it will not last. The economy will not support every team doing it on a large scale. Who knows how it will fall out for conferences.

This will correct, it is coming. Look how the pay the hot coach all the money has worked out. Hasn't got TX, Neb or ND or whoever back to the top has it.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-30-2023, 07:43 PM
The ballon will burst at some point. Yes it will appear a few get ahead but it will not last. The economy will not support every team doing it on a large scale. Who knows how it will fall out for conferences.

This will correct, it is coming. Look how the pay the hot coach all the money has worked out. Hasn't got TX, Neb or ND or whoever back to the top has it.

Agreed, but at what point will it be when that bubble burst? How many teams will fall by the wayside before something happens to change things?

I'm of the belief at this point in time that the bus can't be turned around. I miss the paper bags and envelopes.

Coach34
04-30-2023, 07:46 PM
But at what point? It may take 10 years and thats an eternity for us to drop to the bottom

Coach34
04-30-2023, 07:49 PM
and like everything else- once something is in place- its hard to make changes.

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-30-2023, 07:54 PM
They won't turn this thing around for quite some time. I'm not even sure they care to turn it around.

Homedawg
04-30-2023, 09:47 PM

There's a lot of truth to this. The balloon will pop. In descending order. With us being one of the first to go... And finally for all. Can't sustain itself. And for those saying it's happened forever, yes. But not to this degree.

KB21
04-30-2023, 09:56 PM

There it is. The Leach haters will always blame him and fabricate things in an attempt to make Mike look bad.

Coach34
04-30-2023, 10:15 PM
There it is. The Leach haters will always blame him and fabricate things in an attempt to make Mike look bad.

And the Leach lovers will defend him in spite of the truth. So here we are

SpaceBully
04-30-2023, 11:31 PM

That has already been tried and it failed miserably.

SpaceBully
04-30-2023, 11:38 PM

"Between 1900 and 1930, the Mississippi Legislature introduced bills aiming to relocate, close, or merge the university with Mississippi State University. All such legislation failed. In 1928, then-Gov. Theodore Bilbo proposed to move Ole Miss and Mississippi State universities to 100 acres once occupied by the state insane asylum in Jackson. However, this proposal was not implemented. So, there has been no merger between Ole Miss and Mississippi State University."

Todd4State
04-30-2023, 11:56 PM

"Between 1900 and 1930, the Mississippi Legislature introduced bills aiming to relocate, close, or merge the university with Mississippi State University. All such legislation failed. In 1928, then-Gov. Theodore Bilbo proposed to move Ole Miss and Mississippi State universities to 100 acres once occupied by the state insane asylum in Jackson. However, this proposal was not implemented. So, there has been no merger between Ole Miss and Mississippi State University."

That's interesting. That's where UMC is now.

CaptainObvious
05-01-2023, 12:23 AM
That's interesting. That's where UMC is now.

And where Ole Miss money resides.

TorpedoIPA
05-01-2023, 06:28 AM
And the Leach lovers will defend him in spite of the truth. So here we are

I believe Leach and his system gave MSU a chance with his unconventional approach and an offense that could rely on less than all star players. The Leach experiment was starting to work as we saw with 9 games won in 2022. At Texas Tech and Washington State it took 3 or 4 years to get it really going. Some of you are too impatient.

But anyway, good luck trying to slug it out in the trenches with Alabama, Georgia and even Texas A&M with 3 star players.

msu15
05-01-2023, 07:06 AM
I believe Leach and his system gave MSU a chance with his unconventional approach and an offense that could rely on less than all star players. The Leach experiment was starting to work as we saw with 9 games won in 2022. At Texas Tech and Washington State it took 3 or 4 years to get it really going. Some of you are too impatient.

But anyway, good luck trying to slug it out in the trenches with Alabama, Georgia and even Texas A&M with 3 star players.
That has zero to do with the original point that was made about Leach not caring about NIL.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-01-2023, 07:57 AM
And where Ole Miss money resides.

A lot of it anyway. My father used to donate to UMMC, until we got towed in oxford at an egg bowl when I was probably 8. Never gave them another dollar. First memory of hearing profanity him.

Really Clark?
05-01-2023, 08:00 AM

What has any of that have to do with NIL and recruiting?

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-01-2023, 08:07 AM

You mention economy like this is a business thing bound by profit and math. It isn't.

NIL and college athletics are about rich people trying to gain bragging rights over their rich buddies. It's a hobby to them, a luxury for their own entertainment. It has nothing to do with getting their NIL contributions back via marketing from the players. It's about winning games. It's about bragging to friends "you see that DT that made the game saving stuff at the goaline? He's only here because I paid for him" and feeling like they are important.

Basically, this will only stop getting worse if the boosters at A&M, UGA, LSU etc decide they'd rather loose than pay more. It will only "correct" -as you say- if they decide they've been paying too much already and lower their NIL contributions.

We are priced out of the market. Always have been honestly- its not like we were winning many recruiting battles for 5 star kids as it was, and the results on the field proved we were out of any NC potential because of it. NIL just allows boosters to use their money more effectively and thus puts even more teams over us in the pecking order. But we were never truly in the same league as Bama or Clemson or OSU due to the NCAA not enforcing rules

KB21
05-01-2023, 08:21 AM

Unfortunately, they decided to go with an offensive style that requires elite talent or a significant talent advantage to be successful. So, they will have to pick up the recruiting.

BorneDawg
05-01-2023, 09:05 AM
Got to happen. Even NFL and other sports have team salary caps/contracts and this is now nearing minor league pro sports.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goldendawg again. Still wont let me rep you .......

PMDawg
05-01-2023, 09:48 AM

This is true for me. Maybe it's because I'm a little older now, maybe it's because of how they've changed the sports, maybe it was Covid, maybe it's the interjection of social issues and politics into sports, or maybe it's all of the above. But, I literally barely even care anymore. I used to donate as much as I could toward the BDC. I used to go to every home game and at least a couple of away games a year. I used to go to a lot of basketball and baseball games. Everything I missed, I watched live (if it was available), or at the very least DVR'd it and watched it ASAP. I have been to one live MSU sporting event since 2019. I donate nothing anymore, and have no plans to change that. I just can't get emotionally or monetarily involved the way I used to anymore.

And it's not just MSU sports or even college sports. I used to count down the days until football season. Like, when July rolled around, I felt like it was close and started getting antsy. During the entire football season, I would watch any game playing on Thursday night. College, NFL, or both. Saturday morning, I was usually driving to an MSU game. The Saturdays I didn't go to a State game, I would get up early, start the grill, and put something on. Then I would wait for Gameday to come on. I would watch the entire show. I would turn on 3 or 4 different games at a time and watch all day while I cooked, hung out with family and friends, etc. We would cook, eat, and watch football until bedtime. Sunday, I would watch 3 or 4 NFL games. I had fantasy football teams out the wazoo. I started playing DFS when that came out. It was literally my entire weekend during the Fall for so many years. Then, obviously, I would watch Monday night football.

Now? I couldn't tell you the last NFL game I even turned on. Is Gameday still on the air? Most Saturdays, I go fishing with my son or my BIL. I usually don't turn on a single game, except ours. I'm actually fine missing our game about half the time. Sometimes, I will DVR our game, but I have multiple games on my DVR that I never even watched. I still like for us to win. I'll follow along on my phone some while I'm doing other stuff. But I just don't care 1% of what I used to.

Long story short? I will never give $1 towards NIL. Am I a bad fan? I guess so. I'm sure a lot of people will write me off as a "fan" at all after reading this. All you younger guys will have to carry the torch for your time now. I did my part, but it's in the past now. Family, life, circumstances, the state of the game, etc. have changed me. I'm sure it will happen to most over time. Personally, I feel like my priorities used to be out of place, and now I'm in a healthier spot in that regard. But to each his own.

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2023, 10:19 AM
State and OM will never merge. OM will try to bury State before that happens. Anyways...

Our best chance is for Alabama, Oh St etc to question why they are sharing TV revenue with a conference. They form their own tv contracts and go out on their own, or their own league. That will leave the rest of us to stay around and hopefully then the ncaa has the politic clout to go back to amateurism.

Because let's be real, the real market value for 90% of these players is what boosters will play for their flesh/service. Like a prostitute. They aren't getting Bryce Young deals and 100% of them are not out of high school. So, let the "Blue bloods" have their recruiting bidding wars to set their tv stage. I'll be happy on the moral lower stage.

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2023, 10:24 AM
Btw, we will see if OM has deep pockets this recruiting cycle. The Lake Commorant DL likes them but he is getting a lot of "love" from UT, Bama, UGA and others.

KB21
05-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Justin Brown in the portal.

gtowndawg
05-01-2023, 11:34 AM

Dang, I didn't realize it was actually discussed at some point.

DownwardDawg
05-01-2023, 12:39 PM
This is true for me. Maybe it's because I'm a little older now, maybe it's because of how they've changed the sports, maybe it was Covid, maybe it's the interjection of social issues and politics into sports, or maybe it's all of the above. But, I literally barely even care anymore. I used to donate as much as I could toward the BDC. I used to go to every home game and at least a couple of away games a year. I used to go to a lot of basketball and baseball games. Everything I missed, I watched live (if it was available), or at the very least DVR'd it and watched it ASAP. I have been to one live MSU sporting event since 2019. I donate nothing anymore, and have no plans to change that. I just can't get emotionally or monetarily involved the way I used to anymore.

And it's not just MSU sports or even college sports. I used to count down the days until football season. Like, when July rolled around, I felt like it was close and started getting antsy. During the entire football season, I would watch any game playing on Thursday night. College, NFL, or both. Saturday morning, I was usually driving to an MSU game. The Saturdays I didn't go to a State game, I would get up early, start the grill, and put something on. Then I would wait for Gameday to come on. I would watch the entire show. I would turn on 3 or 4 different games at a time and watch all day while I cooked, hung out with family and friends, etc. We would cook, eat, and watch football until bedtime. Sunday, I would watch 3 or 4 NFL games. I had fantasy football teams out the wazoo. I started playing DFS when that came out. It was literally my entire weekend during the Fall for so many years. Then, obviously, I would watch Monday night football.

Now? I couldn't tell you the last NFL game I even turned on. Is Gameday still on the air? Most Saturdays, I go fishing with my son or my BIL. I usually don't turn on a single game, except ours. I'm actually fine missing our game about half the time. Sometimes, I will DVR our game, but I have multiple games on my DVR that I never even watched. I still like for us to win. I'll follow along on my phone some while I'm doing other stuff. But I just don't care 1% of what I used to.

Long story short? I will never give $1 towards NIL. Am I a bad fan? I guess so. I'm sure a lot of people will write me off as a "fan" at all after reading this. All you younger guys will have to carry the torch for your time now. I did my part, but it's in the past now. Family, life, circumstances, the state of the game, etc. have changed me. I'm sure it will happen to most over time. Personally, I feel like my priorities used to be out of place, and now I'm in a healthier spot in that regard. But to each his own.

This year I chose to increase my donations to St Jude and MD Anderson. NIL will never get a penny of my money.

Ari Gold
05-01-2023, 10:25 PM
The 4th highest paid person in the Arkansas football staff / roster is KJ Jefferson
Says all you need to know

And it?s May 1 , the best thing for everyone to do is not worry About high school recruiting until about a week before signing day ...

TorpedoIPA
05-02-2023, 04:43 AM
What has any of that have to do with NIL and recruiting?

In the NIL Era, where MSU is at a distinct disadvantage, it seems to me that we should look for an unconventional approach, like Leach advocated, that may help us compete.

Of course I am as interested as anyone in seeing how it works out.

Pancho
05-02-2023, 06:57 AM
Btw, we will see if OM has deep pockets this recruiting cycle. The Lake Commorant DL likes them but he is getting a lot of "love" from UT, Bama, UGA and others.

He's a 3 years and straight to the NFL guy and will go to the highest bidder. a really high bidder

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-02-2023, 07:12 AM
He's a 3 years and straight to the NFL guy and will go to the highest bidder. a really high bidder

OM has a tendency to take those "sure things" and run them into the ground occasionally...

DownwardDawg
05-02-2023, 07:23 AM
The 4th highest paid person in the Arkansas football staff / roster is KJ Jefferson
Says all you need to know

And it?s May 1 , the best thing for everyone to do is not worry About high school recruiting until about a week before signing day ...

This

Jarius
05-02-2023, 09:02 AM
No it is called all those recruiters that everyone thought we hired are not actually good recruiters. They are actually average at everything. Maybe Arnett will figure that out and get rid of them.

Our NIL is the overwhelming problem with our recruiting. Anyone with any sort of connection will tell you that. You are barking up the wrong tree.

Jarius
05-02-2023, 09:06 AM
Marcus Woodson.

Arkansas dramatically improved the defensive recruiting staff over the offseason. Odom just wasn?t a very good recruiter.

That said, even I?m surprised at the success we?ve had in Mississippi and I?m still skeptical if we?ll be able to hold on to them the whole way.

Marcus Woodson has zero to do with a MS kid going to Arkansas. We have a group of recruiters on our staff that have been solid for a very long time and they didn't all of a sudden just forget how to recruit. It's NIL.

Jarius
05-02-2023, 09:10 AM

Leach was winning with defense here. His offense was getting worse, not better.

Really Clark?
05-02-2023, 09:23 AM
In the NIL Era, where MSU is at a distinct disadvantage, it seems to me that we should look for an unconventional approach, like Leach advocated, that may help us compete.

Of course I am as interested as anyone in seeing how it works out.

I mean Mike was an unconventional person and ran his offense like nobody does or would do. When he passed away, that went out the window. We could go triple option, that's unconventional in todays game. It's all a moot point, we will probably recruit around the same as always because that's our budget, IF we catch up some with NIL. What we run is irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things in recruiting, it's about the money and NIL.

Cooterpoot
05-02-2023, 10:18 AM
Our NIL is the overwhelming problem with our recruiting. Anyone with any sort of connection will tell you that. You are barking up the wrong tree.

This^^^
Football NIL is the single greatest problem in MSU athletics. State fans completely fail to support football. All they care about is grilling in the LFL.

Percho
05-02-2023, 04:57 PM

We need to get Roy D Mercer to give him a call!

Offshore Dawg
05-02-2023, 05:09 PM
This^^^
Football NIL is the single greatest problem in MSU athletics. State fans completely fail to support football. All they care about is grilling in the LFL.

Fat boys got to eat and drink.

Maroonthirteen
05-03-2023, 07:08 AM
This^^^

...and I really don't blame anyone individually for that. It's a just a numbers issue and a lack of commercial support. Which both stems from history and being located in a rural area with no big businesses.

BeardoMSU
05-03-2023, 07:18 AM
This^^^

If they are expecting fans to make our NIL competitive, then we really are ****ed. It absolutely must be the big money donors and corporate sponsorship that moves the needle.

Maroonthirteen
05-03-2023, 09:05 AM
If they are expecting fans to make our NIL competitive, then we really are ****ed. It absolutely must be the big money donors and corporate sponsorship that moves the needle.

I'm afraid corporate sponsorship is our issue.

maroonmania
05-03-2023, 09:35 AM
This^^^

Well apparently that's not helping either as currently our baseball team is significantly worse than our football team.

maroonmania
05-03-2023, 09:42 AM
...and I really don't blame anyone individually for that. It's a just a numbers issue and a lack of commercial support. Which both stems from history and being located in a rural area with no big businesses.

Exactly, a high percentage of our best paid graduates don't even live close enough to the school after graduation to really stay engaged with our sports programs. This is due to a lack of technical jobs within the state combined with not having a medical school or law school. Only way we will ever get back in the game will be if athletic budget funds can be used to pay players at some point.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-03-2023, 09:55 AM

Exactly. A lot of our fans don't get it. The "rich people" out in the LFL grilling out may not be poor, bit they are NOT rich. They are far closer to the trailer park than they are an actual big time booster. Bama boosters went "let's give Bryce young a million dollars this season" before he ever played a snap for them. That is money. Other programs have guys that can donate 3, 5, 10 million without noticing any money missing. We have guys that make $180k and then this board criticises them for not "doing enough". Jerry Jones alone could make Arky better funded than State. Auburn has the Yella wood guy who can drop 20m without noticing. This board doesn't understand the scale of wealth disparity that were up against

maroonmania
05-03-2023, 10:06 AM
Exactly. A lot of our fans don't get it. The "rich people" out in the LFL grilling out may not be poor, bit they are NOT rich. They are far closer to the trailer park than they are an actual big time booster. Bama boosters went "let's give Bryce young a million dollars this season" before he ever played a snap for them. That is money. Other programs have guys that can donate 3, 5, 10 million without noticing any money missing. We have guys that make $180k and then this board criticises them for not "doing enough". Jerry Jones alone could make Arky better funded than State. Auburn has the Yella wood guy who can drop 20m without noticing. This board doesn't understand the scale of wealth disparity that were up against

Seriously, the only folks that I know of that are MSU people that actually might care enough to help and make a difference are former players. But I have no idea if the likes of Dak, Fletcher, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, Slay and on and on that have huge contracts in the NFL have any willingness to help us with our NIL problem or not?

StarkVegasSteve
05-03-2023, 10:17 AM

It's not just this board. It's 95% of the fan base.

StarkVegasSteve
05-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Seriously, the only folks that I know of that are MSU people that actually might care enough to help and make a difference are former players. But I have no idea if the likes of Dak, Fletcher, Chris Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, Slay and on and on that have huge contracts in the NFL have any willingness to help us with our NIL problem or not?

They're willing to help. They just have to have an actual plan together that will help. These guys want to know their money is going to something worthwhile and not something thrown together in 5 minutes like The Legacy Group. A couple of those guys you mentioned already donate to NIL.

Jarius
05-03-2023, 01:44 PM

This is the correct answer. A bunch of guys making 80K a year aren't going to move the needle. We need our boosters that can give 100 million to the school to be convinced that NIL is where we need their money at currently, and that is why we hired Selmon. I hope he can get it done. If he can't we are in trouble.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2023, 05:33 PM
This is only the beginning of the fall of college football. You think it's bad in year two of this NIL BS, just wait... next stop, a player's union. Enjoy the next 2-3 years.

It's over Johnny. - Colonel Troutman

BeardoMSU
05-03-2023, 06:16 PM

Nice.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2023, 06:29 PM
Nice.

I knew you'd like that...

https://i.postimg.cc/LsMwGbvP/2-C2-DAF0-C-8-CEB-4-E2-F-BE3-C-874-FD731768-B.gif

TorpedoIPA
05-04-2023, 05:16 AM
This is the correct answer. A bunch of guys making 80K a year aren't going to move the needle. We need our boosters that can give 100 million to the school to be convinced that NIL is where we need their money at currently, and that is why we hired Selmon. I hope he can get it done. If he can't we are in trouble.

Some believe the primary reason for the student debt crisis and the high cost of secondary education is that we threw so much money at it.

Wouldn't greed prevail and the situation get worse the more money funneled into NIL ? Perhaps the smart play is not to play.

99jc
05-04-2023, 06:55 AM

We have mattress Mack.

Jarius
05-04-2023, 08:57 AM
Some believe the primary reason for the student debt crisis and the high cost of secondary education is that we threw so much money at it.

Wouldn't greed prevail and the situation get worse the more money funneled into NIL ? Perhaps the smart play is not to play.

If you want to win football games, not playing the NIL game is not an option. The only way your way would work is if everyone played it, and good luck with that.

DownwardDawg
05-04-2023, 09:58 AM
This is only the beginning of the fall of college football. You think it's bad in year two of this NIL BS, just wait... next stop, a player's union. Enjoy the next 2-3 years.

Absolutely. It's over. Just a matter of time. And it will not take long.

TheLostDawg
05-04-2023, 05:12 PM
I'm about like others. If it was more organized I'd be happy giving more. However I'm really just paying some kid to come play here when I could use that money instead to go to either my kids school, donate that money to children's on MS, etc. I think athletes should have spending money because it's a job. I pay a lot for season tickets in multiple sports. I don't see why the schools can't pay these kids some. However the ncaa has screwed this all up and it's just the top schools pay the best players to come. I mean when a women's basketball player has enough money/ gifted a Mercedes, come on. I'm about to stop watching sports. We can't match these big schools. We have a lot of wealthy alumni but not not like these other schools and when you have all the doctors and lawyers, even though they didn't go to ole miss but for professional school going to Oxford and sending their money to their nil, just makes it that much harder.

It's really sad. Keenum hopefully sees this and is pushing his friends in high places to do something.

CaptainObvious
05-04-2023, 05:25 PM

OVER! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

bulldawg28
05-04-2023, 09:09 PM
Absolutely. It's over. Just a matter of time. And it will not take long.

It's not over.

Bdawg
05-04-2023, 09:35 PM
I'm about like others. If it was more organized I'd be happy giving more. However I'm really just paying some kid to come play here when I could use that money instead to go to either my kids school, donate that money to children's on MS, etc. I think athletes should have spending money because it's a job. I pay a lot for season tickets in multiple sports. I don't see why the schools can't pay these kids some. However the ncaa has screwed this all up and it's just the top schools pay the best players to come. I mean when a women's basketball player has enough money/ gifted a Mercedes, come on. I'm about to stop watching sports. We can't match these big schools. We have a lot of wealthy alumni but not not like these other schools and when you have all the doctors and lawyers, even though they didn't go to ole miss but for professional school going to Oxford and sending their money to their nil, just makes it that much harder.

It's really sad. Keenum hopefully sees this and is pushing his friends in high places to do something.

They really need to get this straightened out to save the sport. In the beginning, none of this was supposed to be for recruiting and was supposed to be a violation if it was. But now it?s mostly what?s it?s used for, recruiting, and in our case it seems we have to use it to retain players so they don?t get poached. This crap is just totally out of control. There was nothing wrong with players making some money on NIL if it was only Name, Image, and Likeness. But like we all new would happen, it?s the Wild West and big money wins again. And the other big problem is the transfer portal. Who wants to pay a kid a lot of money to sign with you only to possibly see him hit the portal later for more money. Just sitting here watching the sport I love fall to pieces right before my eyes!

oldjoedawg
05-04-2023, 10:02 PM

You speak to, and for, more folks than you likely realize. I'm in my 80s and will not spend my time watching all of the 'garbage' that is supposed to pass as 'news' these days. So, sports has been my outlet/entertainment to keep me from dealing with angst regarding the condition of this old world and what my grandchildren will face. Now, sports is slowly being 'taken away' due to all the changes coming to fruition...makes me sad. Appreciate your comments.

R2Dawg
05-06-2023, 07:27 AM
Well apparently that's not helping either as currently our baseball team is significantly worse than our football team.

Yeah that NIL money we spent in baseball is bringing in the wins this year. If you don't invest wisely, NIL is only a waste and does nothing. Every player don't typically get NIL money, anywhere. You pick and choose your Bryce Young. So far most schools are pretty stupid with it. What did UF get with Richardson? Nothing.

Offshore Dawg
05-06-2023, 07:41 AM
We have mattress Mack.

Not really, don't think he cares.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-06-2023, 11:06 AM
They're willing to help. They just have to have an actual plan together that will help. These guys want to know their money is going to something worthwhile and not something thrown together in 5 minutes like The Legacy Group. A couple of those guys you mentioned already donate to NIL.

SOME are willing to help, a lot are not. One major donor told me he won't give another dollar to anything NIL related because "it's a waste of money," and I agree. Nobody knows what or where their dollars are going, and honestly, my limited funds are not going to be donated to some random NIL deal...

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-06-2023, 11:09 AM
Not really, don't think he cares.

Yeah, he's not a state fan....he's a money fan and an astros fan.

Such a small percentage of state graduates are at a level to make donations that make a difference. We would need to have massive participation from the middle class of graduates, which we don't have and won't have.

Bothrops
05-06-2023, 08:23 PM

I wouldn't bet on it.

Bothrops
05-06-2023, 08:46 PM
It's not over.

I don't believe they have any desire to change it up. That's why they've changed it to the way it is. The system wants the middle and lower tier programs to essentially disintegrate. They want an orbit of blueblood brands playing each other every week. Most TV viewers, maximum exposure, biggest NIL budgets, biggest alumni bases, outrageous contracts...biggest and most everything.

StarkVegasSteve
05-06-2023, 08:55 PM
SOME are willing to help, a lot are not. One major donor told me he won't give another dollar to anything NIL related because "it's a waste of money," and I agree. Nobody knows what or where their dollars are going, and honestly, my limited funds are not going to be donated to some random NIL deal...

Then do not ever complain if we lose a game, recruit, coach, etc. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. You have chosen the former and that is completely within your rights. It is your money and you can spend it however you see fit.

Maroonthirteen
05-07-2023, 08:03 AM
I don't believe they have any desire to change it up. That's why they've changed it to the way it is. The system wants the middle and lower tier programs to essentially disintegrate. They want an orbit of blueblood brands playing each other every week. Most TV viewers, maximum exposure, biggest NIL budgets, biggest alumni bases, outrageous contracts...biggest and most everything.

I agree, mostly. The decision makers of college football don't care about the middle of the pack P5s and G5s. It is all about TV ratings and TV contracts.

I don't believe the decision makers and TV purposely want the middle-lower schools to go away. I think the ncaa and school presidents and etc see the current situation....
1. The players are getting paid.
2. TV contracts are going up.
3. Alabama OHSt USC are still doing just fine and have No problems with nil.

Therefore it is a good situation for those With power.

The only way out of this situation for middle P5s and G5s is for Alabama Oh St USC etc to get greedy and ask for their own individual tv contracts. Then the conferences lose the money and disband and a great reset occurs. Hopefully all that happens with the next round of tv negotiations.

BlackSailsDawg
05-07-2023, 10:54 AM

Alot of people feel that way.

For me, I would rather my dollars go to something that will help a lot of people, NOT purchase a kid to win a game. It's a line to far for me. For example, we gave a scholarship. Another, was to elderly help.

I want MSU to succeed. I do. But at what "cost" is literally the question now.

BlackSailsDawg
05-07-2023, 10:57 AM
Then do not ever complain if we lose a game, recruit, coach, etc. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. You have chosen the former and that is completely within your rights. It is your money and you can spend it however you see fit.

I will. I have earned that right. The solution is to change it. It's not your "either or" framing.

BlackSailsDawg
05-07-2023, 10:58 AM
I agree, mostly. The decision makers of college football don't care about the middle of the pack P5s and G5s. It is all about TV ratings and TV contracts.

I don't believe the decision makers and TV purposely want the middle-lower schools to go away. I think the ncaa and school presidents and etc see the current situation....
1. The players are getting paid.
2. TV contracts are going up.
3. Alabama OHSt USC are still doing just fine and have No problems with nil.

Therefore it is a good situation for those With power.

The only way out of this situation for middle P5s and G5s is for Alabama Oh St USC etc to get greedy and ask for their own individual tv contracts. Then the conferences lose the money and disband and a great reset occurs. Hopefully all that happens with the next round of tv negotiations.

Or people demand change by not going with NIL. It will force a reset.

Really Clark?
05-07-2023, 11:10 AM
Or people demand change by not going with NIL. It will force a reset.

That's just not a reality. Too many people are more than willing to pay players and courts have upheld that monies generated are too much to ignore players being able to make money on their NIL.

DownwardDawg
05-07-2023, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't bet on it.

Which part?

BlackSailsDawg
05-07-2023, 11:33 AM
That's just not a reality. Too many people are more than willing to pay players and courts have upheld that monies generated are too much to ignore players being able to make money on their NIL.

I get it. The reality has shifted. The college sports world is in need of a reset. That's not going to happen either. It will begin to see viewership drop off.

Coach34
05-07-2023, 11:40 AM

This is correct. The genie is out of the bottle now. This is what college sports are now. Adapt or die

Offshore Dawg
05-07-2023, 01:29 PM

No, you are allowing Wal-Mart money to beat you !

StarkVegasSteve
05-07-2023, 01:35 PM
I will. I have earned that right. The solution is to change it. It's not your "either or" framing.

How have you earned that right? You are doing nothing to address the situation and you could. The cat is out of the bag with NIL. It is NEVER going back. And hell, everyone needs to stop acting like paying players was not going on long before NIL.

BlackSailsDawg
05-07-2023, 03:06 PM
No, you are allowing Wal-Mart money to beat you !

Wal-Mart. Jb Hunt. Tyson....etc etc

BlackSailsDawg
05-07-2023, 03:10 PM
How have you earned that right? You are doing nothing to address the situation and you could. The cat is out of the bag with NIL. It is NEVER going back. And hell, everyone needs to stop acting like paying players was not going on long before NIL.

Gave my money! That's how. No sir. The amount that is now going out the door and windows is no where near the same or our recruiting would not be suffering.

Jarius
05-07-2023, 04:03 PM

You have earned the right to complain about the system. If you are not giving to NIL, you certainly have not earned the right to criticize our coaching staff and recruiting efforts.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-07-2023, 07:19 PM

You're exactly right. I spend enough money with Mississippi State, and don't care to spend anymore. I've been through enough to "qualify" myself as a fan with emotional investment. My immediately family has 7 degrees from Mississippi State, we own real estate there, still have family that live there. We've done plenty.

They seem to consistently have a knack at pissing away opportunities, so I feel as if my earned money is better spent elsewhere.

But for what it's worth, we're not giving money to my wife's alma mater (USC) either. We're an "equal opportunity non-NIL-donator"

Bdawg
05-07-2023, 09:47 PM

Paying players is true. But there was no portal back then. The transfer portal screws things up to me. Who wants to pay a player only to possibly watch him leave the next year for another big pay day. If players want to be paid, then maybe they should sign contracts. If they leave early, they only get paid for time served. Just spitballing but something needs to be done. I only think the portal is good for guys who can’t see the field and just looking for another opportunity.

Jarius
05-08-2023, 05:14 PM
Paying players is true. But there was no portal back then. The transfer portal screws things up to me. Who wants to pay a player only to possibly watch him leave the next year for another big pay day. If players want to be paid, then maybe they should sign contracts. If they leave early, they only get paid for time served. Just spitballing but something needs to be done. I only think the portal is good for guys who can’t see the field and just looking for another opportunity.

There is no doubt that something needs to be done. The 1 year sit out rule should be reinstated and the portal issue would go away. That being said, we have to play the NIL game to be semi competitive in the mean time. There’s just no way around it.

StarkVegasSteve
05-08-2023, 05:38 PM
The portal is fine too. It is the one time free transfer rule that screws everything up.

Bothrops
05-08-2023, 08:21 PM
The portal is fine too. It is the one time free transfer rule that screws everything up.

The portal would be better if it had caps that were standard in different sports.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-09-2023, 08:08 AM
If you make them sit a year upon transfer, it would slow things down a lot.

Bdawg
05-10-2023, 08:37 AM

This is basically what I’m talking about. It would help a good bit. A kid may still sit a year with the amount of money being put out there. Would like for them to have to pay some money back if they leave too!

RockyDog
05-10-2023, 12:05 PM

Did YOU pay Dak, or Josh Robinson, or Preston Smith? I bet your were screaming just like everybody else when Georgia Tech was pushing our shit in.

Don't give us that crap that you aren't a real fan if you aren't contributing to NIL. Those 60,000 in the stands, those hundreds of thousands of eyeballs, those kids buying jerseys are ALL fans and help the team in a variety of ways and have just as much right to support, bitch, complain or whatever else they want to do as much as the guy that was slipping hundreds to Doug Buckles.

Jarius
05-10-2023, 01:30 PM
Did YOU pay Dak, or Josh Robinson, or Preston Smith? I bet your were screaming just like everybody else when Georgia Tech was pushing our shit in.

Don't give us that crap that you aren't a real fan if you aren't contributing to NIL. Those 60,000 in the stands, those hundreds of thousands of eyeballs, those kids buying jerseys are ALL fans and help the team in a variety of ways and have just as much right to support, bitch, complain or whatever else they want to do as much as the guy that was slipping hundreds to Doug Buckles.

This is America. Of course they have the right. They look like a complete jackass when they willingly turn their nose up at the best possible way to help the program and then bitch at the coach for not getting good players, but yea, they have the right. And in 2014 it was against the rules and a lot of people didn't want to take the chance of being sloppy and hurting the program or getting their name in the paper and losing their job. That's not the case any more. Apples to oranges comparison.