PDA

View Full Version : NIL

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2023, 05:59 PM
I hate it as much as anyone and I know some will roll their eyes at this but, we have had some programs really tampering and taking some swings at our guys again. More money than even sounds believable. Idk what the solution is but we have all allowed it. This is not what they said it was.

If you can join Bulldog Initiative do it. I will never talk down to anyone who doesnt bc I more than understand. Whether it?s necessary or you just dont want to give up your money I get it either way.

But dont let anyone fool you, we are having to fend off some big swings. 4 million was an offer here recently. Some of our leaders have turned it down bc it was the right thing and some have made us up the ante. I would never want to coach big time college football ever at this point.

EdwardDrayton
04-24-2023, 06:11 PM
It's not strictly NIL across the land and it happened quickly. So much has become pay for play. I give my bit only because it's the hand we've been dealt. Don't like it, don't agree with it but it is what it is until someone intervenes and restores control of college athletics.

And I will add to the bit I'm giving just as soon as we deal with matters at hand within our own program.

MetEdDawg
04-24-2023, 06:36 PM
Our fan base is going to have to adjust expectations if we can't fundraise tens of millions of dollars for NIL. That's what it's going to take to stay where we are. We are going to be organ donors to the rich teams that can afford our players, especially the ones that can plug and play and we won't be able to consistently secure top high school talent without NIL.

I think we will see a regression back to averaging classes between 30-35 soon. We play SEC ball and put kids in the NFL, but cash is king and kids are going to be paid a lot of money to make bad decisions.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-24-2023, 06:46 PM
I will be pleasantly surprised if Tolu is on our roster Sept 1

RezDog7
04-24-2023, 07:38 PM

This is why I won't be putting any money in. If I pay some player to stay and he still walks. Nah, not for me. I also won't complain when we suck. I'll just go fishing.

Coach34
04-24-2023, 07:46 PM

yeah he is gonna get some big offers

Cowbell
04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
I hate it as much as anyone and I know some will roll their eyes at this but, we have had some programs really tampering and taking some swings at our guys again. More money than even sounds believable. Idk what the solution is but we have all allowed it. This is not what they said it was.

If you can join Bulldog Initiative do it. I will never talk down to anyone who doesnt bc I more than understand. Whether it?s necessary or you just dont want to give up your money I get it either way.

But dont let anyone fool you, we are having to fend off some big swings. 4 million was an offer here recently. Some of our leaders have turned it down bc it was the right thing and some have made us up the ante. I would never want to coach big time college football ever at this point.

I know the player... Who made the offer base?

WSOPdawg
04-24-2023, 08:58 PM

Sorry guys, but if one of our players can get $4 million from another team, then they would be foolish to not accept. I know my maroon-n-white blooded self would be gone yesterday. Additionally, if NIL is trending that way at an exponential rate, it's over for us until sanity returns. But I'm not begrudging anyone for not accepting $4 mil.

MrCoachKlein
04-24-2023, 09:09 PM
Sorry guys, but if one of our players can get $4 million from another team, then they would be foolish to not accept. I know my maroon-n-white blooded self would be gone yesterday. Additionally, if NIL is trending that way at an exponential rate, it's over for us until sanity returns. But I'm not begrudging anyone for not accepting $4 mil.

Generational $ if managed correctly. I love MSU athletics but if I have cash at the end of the month it's going to sponsor a kid that can't eat at night.

Cooterpoot
04-24-2023, 11:50 PM
Ain't nobody getting $4MM. Tulu will be here too. And just joining BI isn't good enough. You have to earmark it to football. Stop pissing away money on baseball.

SilentSteel16
04-25-2023, 05:35 AM
Generational $ if managed correctly. I love MSU athletics but if I have cash at the end of the month it's going to sponsor a kid that can't eat at night.

Amen !! Won’t nor will I join BI, for those of you that do good on you. Compassion International is a wonderful organization and have recently picked up our second child, the first one just graduated the program and going to Nursing school.

Paying college players is a personal choice not an obligation, win or lose Hail State, my saturdays and weekends are not wrecked or made by 20 year old “student” athletes. Good on them for maximizing while they can. The days of old are over as is Amateur Athletics

Leeshouldveflanked
04-25-2023, 05:50 AM
Stop pissing away money on baseball.

Amen.

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 06:04 AM
Ain't nobody getting $4MM. Tulu will be here too. And just joining BI isn't good enough. You have to earmark it to football. Stop pissing away money on baseball.

Wellllll

confucius say
04-25-2023, 11:36 AM
And next time y'all want to bang on will, feel free to do so but know that he turned down nearly 10 times what he is getting to stay.

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 11:46 AM
And next time y'all want to bang on will, feel free to do so but know that he turned down nearly 10 times what he is getting to stay.

Bang bang

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 11:48 AM
I know the player... Who made the offer base?

A Florida school

bulldawg28
04-25-2023, 01:04 PM

If true Will should have left for his payday. He's not an NFL quarterback who will be drafted unless something changes tremendously this year.

HancockCountyDog
04-25-2023, 01:13 PM
If true Will should have left for his payday. He's not an NFL quarterback who will be drafted unless something changes tremendously this year.

I hate to agree with you, but if he is getting 150K to stay here and someone offered him 1.5 million or more to play QB in the SEC, as much as it makes me appreciate his love for MSU, i have to question the decision making.

Even after taxes you are talking about close to a million dollars, for someone whos is 21 years old which if properly managed can create generational wealth for him and his family.

I hope it all works out for him.

Jarius
04-25-2023, 02:21 PM

The common fan is doing what they can do, for the most part in my opinion. We need our big boosters to step up and play ball the way they are in basketball and baseball. We can get on here and make the little guy feel like they need to choose between paying the mortgage or keeping a DT, or the people who can donate a couple hundred thousand / millions without blinking an eye can do what other schools big boys are doing. I'm not directing this at you, particularly.

CaptainObvious
04-25-2023, 03:49 PM
Until State drops down to 1AA I?ll start going to more high school games on Friday nights. No way a school with no Law School or Medical School sitting in one of the most rural parts of the state in the poorest state in the country can play the game at that level. One our biggest donors in history just gave $100 Million to the Institution and as far as we know 0 is earmarked for athletics.

If we cannot get Simmons, Jones, Prescott, Slay, Smith, Papelbon, Renfroe, Graveman, etc?. To give large sums of money for MSU athletics, how can we get accountants, bankers, school teachers, social workers, programmers, farmers and agronomists to give to athletics?

viverlibre
04-25-2023, 04:10 PM

Alex, I'll take things that never happened for $500.

I know some idiots tried to start a rumor the barn offered him a big NIL deal, but he's the opposite of what Freeze needs in a QB. I could certainly see Saban or Jimbo taking Will as an insurance policy, but I doubt he'd be offered 7 figures either place. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and think he'll do better than expected next season, but there's a reason no one outside the MSU family talks about him despite being a record setting QB.

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 07:32 PM
The common fan is doing what they can do, for the most part in my opinion. We need our big boosters to step up and play ball the way they are in basketball and baseball. We can get on here and make the little guy feel like they need to choose between paying the mortgage or keeping a DT, or the people who can donate a couple hundred thousand / millions without blinking an eye can do what other schools big boys are doing. I'm not directing this at you, particularly.

No I agree. The money it takes to be a cigar boy is far above my means. But that is who it is going to take

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 07:34 PM

I know some idiots tried to start a rumor the barn offered him a big NIL deal, but he's the opposite of what Freeze needs in a QB. I could certainly see Saban or Jimbo taking Will as an insurance policy, but I doubt he'd be offered 7 figures either place. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid and think he'll do better than expected next season, but there's a reason no one outside the MSU family talks about him despite being a record setting QB.

What is talking out my ass on a message board?

It was no rumor. And its not a rumor now

viverlibre
04-25-2023, 09:16 PM
What is talking out my ass on a message board?

It was no rumor. And its not a rumor now

Ok, a seasoned coach in a new job, high-pressure job, who has made his fame with QBs who can use their feet to extend plays and take deep shots is going to change his entire philosophy (that has been proven to work)? Not to mention he used the aforementioned QB play to beat Saban twice (back to back). Read that out loud and you'll see how silly it sounds.

MrCoachKlein
04-25-2023, 09:24 PM
Compassion International is a wonderful organization and have recently picked up our second child, the first one just graduated the program and going to Nursing school.

That's awesome. God is good, all the time.

YazooDawg23
04-25-2023, 09:44 PM
Tulu or Tolu?

Homedawg
04-25-2023, 10:06 PM
Nobody we have has been offered 4 million or even close to my knowledge. But as I said months ago we had way more money thrown at a certain player. A number we can never match. Our nil is being handled as well as it can considering funds in place. Amazing would be a better word. Long term, if you want to win better pony up. Or we are toast in football

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 10:38 PM
Ok, a seasoned coach in a new job, high-pressure job, who has made his fame with QBs who can use their feet to extend plays and take deep shots is going to change his entire philosophy (that has been proven to work)? Not to mention he used the aforementioned QB play to beat Saban twice (back to back). Read that out loud and you'll see how silly it sounds.

Man. Idk what to tell you. I am sorry you don?t Iike it and it challenges your beliefs but yes, it happened. And one school has tampered with him twice. He is not the only one. You acting like Will cant hold a candle to Bo Wallace is just as silly as what you are spinning. He will never ever be good enough for some of you. But the facts are the facts

BuckyIsAB****
04-25-2023, 10:39 PM
Nobody we have has been offered 4 million or even close to my knowledge. But as I said months ago we had way more money thrown at a certain player. A number we can never match. Our nil is being handled as well as it can considering funds in place. Amazing would be a better word. Long term, if you want to win better pony up. Or we are toast in football

It is what it is. I did not mean to blow any minds or tip over the apple cart

Really Clark?
04-25-2023, 10:39 PM

You are clueless about what's going with NIL deals.

Jarius
04-25-2023, 10:53 PM

Money is no object to a lot of these schools. Will is an average player in this league, but he is an upgrade to Auburn’s quarterback room so that’s why they were willing to spend the money on him. Average is better than the complete trash that they currently have, so they will do what it takes financially to get the best available prospect to them. It’s all relative to what else is available for you to get. It’s economics. Quarterbacks are in high demand and SEC caliber ones are almost nonexistent. If you find a competent one when your current roster doesn’t have one and your alumni has a shit ton of money, you end up with average players getting big time money offers.

viverlibre
04-26-2023, 07:18 AM
Man. Idk what to tell you. I am sorry you don?t Iike it and it challenges your beliefs but yes, it happened. And one school has tampered with him twice. He is not the only one. You acting like Will cant hold a candle to Bo Wallace is just as silly as what you are spinning. He will never ever be good enough for some of you. But the facts are the facts

It has nothing to do with him being better or worse, it's that he doesn't fit their scheme, in fact he's the polar opposite of what Freezus does with QBs.

viverlibre
04-26-2023, 07:20 AM
Money is no object to a lot of these schools. Will is an average player in this league, but he is an upgrade to Auburn’s quarterback room so that’s why they were willing to spend the money on him. Average is better than the complete trash that they currently have, so they will do what it takes financially to get the best available prospect to them. It’s all relative to what else is available for you to get. It’s economics. Quarterbacks are in high demand and SEC caliber ones are almost nonexistent. If you find a competent one when your current roster doesn’t have one and your alumni has a shit ton of money, you end up with average players getting big time money offers.

Why not go after Spencer Sanders or a ton of other QBs that fit Hugh's scheme?

Pancho
04-26-2023, 07:25 AM
they did offer Sanders but he was swept away by the sissy blue shirts up north.

viverlibre
04-26-2023, 07:40 AM
they did offer Sanders but he was swept away by the sissy blue shirts up north.

I'll admit I can't remember seeing Sanders play. Is he not as good as folks say? Him going to OM, who already had an established starter, for his final year, seems like a dumb choice. I certainly don't blame Lane for getting him, it was a good move.

Lord McBuckethead
04-26-2023, 09:12 AM

I hate what it has become, and it has tainted all of college sports, but it is fair to allow anyone to make money if they can. I 100% do not agree with not paying college athletes as it was basically a forced labor situation in football in particular. Baseball, you could go pro if you wanted out of high school, but if you enrolled you were a slave basically for 3 years. Basketball forcing people to go to college is dumb as well. Football, there is not minor league system in place therefore players were basically forced to play for free.

Any student on campus can earn any money they want as long as it is made in a legal manner. WE are 100% in a capitalist system now with college athletes and guess what, we do not have Elon Musk's checkbook. So.... we are going to lose out on anyone worth having eventually. aTm and Bama have $1,500 to each one of our single dollars. That is the way it is, and it is going to get worse each and every year.

Really Clark?
04-26-2023, 09:24 AM
I hate what it has become, and it has tainted all of college sports, but it is fair to allow anyone to make money if they can. I 100% do not agree with not paying college athletes as it was basically a forced labor situation in football in particular. Baseball, you could go pro if you wanted out of high school, but if you enrolled you were a slave basically for 3 years. Basketball forcing people to go to college is dumb as well. Football, there is not minor league system in place therefore players were basically forced to play for free.

Any student on campus can earn any money they want as long as it is made in a legal manner. WE are 100% in a capitalist system now with college athletes and guess what, we do not have Elon Musk's checkbook. So.... we are going to lose out on anyone worth having eventually. aTm and Bama have $1,500 to each one of our single dollars. That is the way it is, and it is going to get worse each and every year.

I can agree with part of what you are saying and the debate about making money while in college as a student athlete but forced labor and slave? That's an inappropriate comparison to real forced labor and slavery. Not one player has ever been forced to play a sport, sign a scholarship and work toward a college degree. That has a huge value to the individual and for future generations if they take advantage. That's a net positive in a persons life.

Extendedcab
04-26-2023, 09:47 AM

Really, forced labor? Are we back to that argument again? Like they are not getting paid with FREE education, FREE ROOM and FREE BOARD and TONS of FREE Tutoring? They are paid in intangibles, something at their age I would have given a right nut for.

You are missing the whole point with college athletics in that they are or were amateurs, now they are not! That is what has ruined college sports! They approach the game differently as they are only worried about their future status in the draft and not about their college team and how to help them - it is a team sport and they don't play like it. They are starting to act like the spoiled brats of the NBA - that is why I quit watching them years ago! I am afraid college sports will be next!

The only solution is to create a semi-pro league separate from the university so student athletes can actually be students and the pro-minded go pro right out of high school. But wait - next the high schoolers will want to get paid as well - so where does this madness stop - pee wee level or travel ball? Why discriminate if you pay "college students" then why not pay any and all other kind or level of student as well?

Jarius
04-26-2023, 10:45 AM

Spencer Sanders had the most interceptions in the country last year and that was playing in the big 12. Is he really very good? Also, Michael Borkey went on Hadad’s show yesterday and said Sanders had grade issues and didn’t have very many options in the portal so that could be why Auburn didn’t offer him.

confucius say
04-26-2023, 11:23 AM

See I disagree with that. The common fans aren't doing anything. We have 15k bulldog club members giving at least $100 a year.
But we only have 1500 bulldog initiative members.

We should have 15k bulldog initiative members giving at least $10 a month. That's 1.8 million yearly and would do absolute wonders.

confucius say
04-26-2023, 11:34 AM

There are only a handful of schools sanders could go to and be academically eligible, per Michael Borkey. If he can get his academics in order this semester and summer, I doubt he will be at OM in august.

confucius say
04-26-2023, 11:36 AM

Nobody said he was offered 7 figures. I said he was offered close to 10 times what he is getting here.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2023, 11:37 AM
We're about to do some things with NIL. I expect it to fire up this summer probably. You're going to see what having a legitimate AD can do. It won't fix everything, because we don't have the base to compete with the top 6 in the SEC but we we'll be much better.

Cooterpoot
04-26-2023, 11:39 AM
Anyone that believes our guys are turning down millions of guaranteed dollars are fools. That's not happening. And honestly, it's not happening close to as much as some of you think across the college landscape.
NIL is like your pecker. You can claim you've got 12 inches. But you don't.

Extendedcab
04-26-2023, 12:32 PM
See I disagree with that. The common fans aren't doing anything. We have 15k bulldog club members giving at least $100 a year.
But we only have 1500 bulldog initiative members.

We should have 15k bulldog initiative members giving at least $10 a month. That's 1.8 million yearly and would do absolute wonders.

I think the "common fan" is turned off by NIL and the current state of college athletics. Greed has overcome common sense and the original intent of an extra curricular activity - sports. I am including coaches here as well. For a coach to make $$M per year is out the the norm of the student body and the alumni in general to support - the common fan! Coaches are not solving world hunger or inventing a cure for cancer or some other benefit to humanity but they make many times more in salary and other perks than the people who do. This is insane!

Homedawg
04-26-2023, 12:48 PM
I think the "common fan" is turned off by NIL and the current state of college athletics. Greed has overcome common sense and the original intent of an extra curricular activity - sports. I am including coaches here as well. For a coach to make $$M per year is out the the norm of the student body and the alumni in general to support - the common fan! Coaches are not solving world hunger or inventing a cure for cancer or some other benefit to humanity but they make many times more in salary and other perks than the people who do. This is insane!

And the common worker has more job stability than a coach too. Not saying they aren't over paid. Some are. But Nick saban dang sure isn't. What he's brought to bama and T town is immeasurable

BuckyIsAB****
04-26-2023, 12:54 PM
They were already getting paid. There was no free labor. This is all political at the end of the day

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-26-2023, 08:35 PM
I find it ironic how the ssme southern conservatives who support the free market turn around and say that these kids shouldn't have the right to get paid.

I also find it interesting that these same arguments for why they WERE being paid before NIL also justify slavery. Saying "what do you mean athletes weren't being paid?? They get free food, free tuition, free room, and they get extra tutoring to get the grades high enough to go out on the field" sound a LOT like "What do you mean my slave isn't being paid?? I feed him, clothe him, and have him sleep under a roof. If he dislocated a shoulder I have a Dr reset it so he can get back to work"

At the end of the day, you have the right to accept the job you want. If someone offered you more money to do the same thing, you'd take it. But you want to say these college kids don't get that same right?

Where's the outrage at coaches? You know, the grown men who have already made millions? They ditch teams without warning to go from making $6m a year to $10m. That's OK, but the idea of a college football player being paid to play football is wrong because they were already being "paid enough" via scholarship? Get outa here you hypocritical slave driver

Really Clark?
04-26-2023, 08:53 PM
I find it ironic how the ssme southern conservatives who support the free market turn around and say that these kids shouldn't have the right to get paid.

I also find it interesting that these same arguments for why they WERE being paid before NIL also justify slavery. Saying "what do you mean athletes weren't being paid?? They get free food, free tuition, free room, and they get extra tutoring to get the grades high enough to go out on the field" sound a LOT like "What do you mean my slave isn't being paid?? I feed him, clothe him, and have him sleep under a roof. If he dislocated a shoulder I have a Dr reset it so he can get back to work"

At the end of the day, you have the right to accept the job you want. If someone offered you more money to do the same thing, you'd take it. But you want to say these college kids don't get that same right?

Where's the outrage at coaches? You know, the grown men who have already made millions? They ditch teams without warning to go from making $6m a year to $10m. That's OK, but the idea of a college football player being paid to play football is wrong because they were already being "paid enough" via scholarship? Get outa here you hypocritical slave driver

Slaves have no choice. Being a student athlete with the opportunity to earn a degree that betters themselves and their future generations is so vastly different. Honestly to use that word to talk about student athletes of which many of us on here were by choice and love of a sport, it's truly abhorrent to say that we were treated like slaves when actual slavery and forced labor occurs.

And I took what he meant about being paid before NIL, because we know this was happening anyway, under the table monies have been given to players for years. The amounts are different but some were making the same prior to and the start of the NIL.

Just disgusting you think this is anywhere close to slavery when players choose to play a sport they love and compare it real slavery. Abhorrent

msu15
04-26-2023, 09:36 PM

There's no way we had a guy turn down $4,000,000. Unless someone like Crumedy makes a jump this year, we don't have a dude on the roster that's portal eligible this spring that's going to see that type of money at the next level.

RockyDog
04-26-2023, 10:40 PM

You just took the idiot crown off of KBs head, did a backflip, donned a robe, did a Ric Flair woooooooo, paraded around the room and said that damn crown is mine to never be taken away. Congrats!!!!

RezDog7
04-26-2023, 11:27 PM

I don't care if kids get paid to play. I just understand asking fans to pay for it. I don't pay NFL player salaries. Where is all that tv money the school gets. What about all the ticket and merch money. Use that. I will watch but I'm not interested in paying. And no, I won't complain when we suck. Hell, we've always sucked.

MBDawg601
04-27-2023, 12:05 AM

You do know that these players are students first and foremost.... right?

BuckyIsAB****
04-27-2023, 06:07 AM
Man

BuckyIsAB****
04-27-2023, 06:08 AM
There's no way we had a guy turn down $4,000,000. Unless someone like Crumedy makes a jump this year, we don't have a dude on the roster that's portal eligible this spring that's going to see that type of money at the next level.

Wellllll

RiverCityDawg
04-27-2023, 07:12 AM

This is the most ignorant load of horse shit I've read on here in a while, and that's saying something.

College football players, especially in the SEC, are treated like kings. They willingly signed up for this. Like, mama crying on signing day over how great this is, signed up for it. They weren't ripped from their homes, put on a boat and forced to work for nothing. They get a MUCH better package that 90% of people attending college.

And also, the bit about southern conservatives being hypocritical about the free market is the weakest talking point that keeps getting repeated. You can be for capitalism and also think that free market principles don't make the best most competitive sports environment. No other successful sports leagues have a wide open market with no restrictions, no contracts, leave any time you want, go directly to the competition whenever, etc. And oh by the way, the fans are directly responsible for the compensation. It's a ridiculous set up and there's a reason it's not like this anywhere else.

confucius say
04-27-2023, 07:35 AM
This is the most ignorant load of horse shit I've read on here in a while, and that's saying something.

College football players, especially in the SEC, are treated like kings. They willingly signed up for this. Like, mama crying on signing day over how great this is, signed up for it. They weren't ripped from their homes, put on a boat and forced to work for nothing. They get a MUCH better package that 90% of people attending college.

And also, the bit about southern conservatives being hypocritical about the free market is the weakest talking point that keeps getting repeated. You can be for capitalism and also think that free market principles don't make the best most competitive sports environment. No other successful sports leagues have a wide open market with no restrictions, no contracts, leave any time you want, go directly to the competition whenever, etc. And oh by the way, the fans are directly responsible for the compensation. It's a ridiculous set up and there's a reason it's not like this anywhere else.

Correct. The last thing 99% of college athletes want is to be employees in a free market system. Don't take my word for it, they testified about it two weeks ago before Congress. I wouldn't have wanted that either.

viverlibre
04-27-2023, 08:00 AM

Of course not, no idea why that poster is so tied to that narrative. NIL deals for the most part aren't near as big as some fans think.

As of January 24, 2023, Arch (the highest profile recruit ever with a golden name) only has a $3.7 mil deal and Caleb Williams, reigning Heisman at a blue blood, has a $3.2 mil deal, no other football player has a deal over $2 mil.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-27-2023, 11:10 AM
I love how all criticisms of what I said are based on misreading it.

I never said playing football is the same as slavery. I said the talking points used to defend the pre NIL system also apply to slavery. Which is true

And regarding making a "competitive sports league", the pros do have salary caps BUT they do not tell players "you can't sign advertising deals or make money outside of this contract". That is what pre NIL was; "you will not earn a cent that doesn't come from this scholarship". Before signing g his new contract Dak made like 95% of his money from advertising deals that college players couldn't sign till NIL.

Again, telling someone they aren't allowed to make money is anti free market, anti personal freedom, and hypocritical since we would never want such rules applied to ourselves.

Extendedcab
04-27-2023, 02:25 PM
I love how all criticisms of what I said are based on misreading it.

I never said playing football is the same as slavery. I said the talking points used to defend the pre NIL system also apply to slavery. Which is true

And regarding making a "competitive sports league", the pros do have salary caps BUT they do not tell players "you can't sign advertising deals or make money outside of this contract". That is what pre NIL was; "you will not earn a cent that doesn't come from this scholarship". Before signing g his new contract Dak made like 95% of his money from advertising deals that college players couldn't sign till NIL.

Again, telling someone they aren't allowed to make money is anti free market, anti personal freedom, and hypocritical since we would never want such rules applied to ourselves.

Wow, you are still missing the whole point of college. The only reason reason colleges existed in the first place was to get a higher level of education over and above that which is obtainable in high school. It was a means of educating the populace so they could innovate and make the human condition better - to solve problems. Sports was merely an after school or extra curricular activity that provided a range of activities organized outside of the regular school day, curriculum or course intended to meet learners' interests.

Note first you had to be a student in good standing - have a C level grade point average or you did not qualify to participate.

Initially there were no scholarships, students played for the fun of it. Scholarships came about to help college athletes who demonstrate outstanding academic and athletic achievement a means to pursue additional educational opportunities .

The intent was never to be a semipro or farm league for the pros. This is what is turning the average fan off of college sports.

Now the focus is not about education but about how do I train and prep to be a pro athlete. This is not the place of a university, its place was and still should be, education - training the mind!

You make it sound like student athletes are not getting paid when in fact, if they take advantage of a FREE education and FREE Room and Free Board, yes they are getting paid. When I attended MSU in the 1970s, I worked for the university on a research project, 1/2 time - 20 hours/week, and I did not get the benefits that student athletes get. I earned minimum wage ($2.50/hr) and that was it! I did not complain, nor did my coworkers, that we were underpaid and we wanted more money or a full ride scholarship since the university was making good money off of our research! We were glad we could contribute and we were proud of the work we did!

Today, with college athletics, it is pure greed as they smell money and they want their perceived share! Universities are today in a business they were never intended to be in. Athletes who want to go pro need to skip college, even though I think it is dumb to do so, and go directly to pros and take their chances - even though at 18 years old they do not, for the most part, have the physical skills or game intelligence of older athletes that are pros.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-27-2023, 02:55 PM
Wow, you are still missing the whole point of college. The only reason reason colleges existed in the first place was to get a higher level of education over and above that which is obtainable in high school. It was a means of educating the populace so they could innovate and make the human condition better - to solve problems. Sports was merely an after school or extra curricular activity that provided a range of activities organized outside of the regular school day, curriculum or course intended to meet learners' interests.

Note first you had to be a student in good standing - have a C level grade point average or you did not qualify to participate.

Initially there were no scholarships, students played for the fun of it. Scholarships came about to help college athletes who demonstrate outstanding academic and athletic achievement a means to pursue additional educational opportunities .

The intent was never to be a semipro or farm league for the pros. This is what is turning the average fan off of college sports.

Now the focus is not about education but about how do I train and prep to be a pro athlete. This is not the place of a university, its place was and still should be, education - training the mind!

You make it sound like student athletes are not getting paid when in fact, if they take advantage of a FREE education and FREE Room and Free Board, yes they are getting paid. When I attended MSU in the 1970s, I worked for the university on a research project, 1/2 time - 20 hours/week, and I did not get the benefits that student athletes get. I earned minimum wage ($2.50/hr) and that was it! I did not complain, nor did my coworkers, that we were underpaid and we wanted more money or a full ride scholarship since the university was making good money off of our research! We were glad we could contribute and we were proud of the work we did!

Today, with college athletics, it is pure greed as they smell money and they want their perceived share! Universities are today in a business they were never intended to be in. Athletes who want to go pro need to skip college, even though I think it is dumb to do so, and go directly to pros and take their chances - even though at 18 years old they do not, for the most part, have the physical skills or game intelligence of older athletes that are pros.

I think it's needlessly restrictive to say college can only be ONE thing. For some, college is a way to explore and expand their minds- pure academic interests. For some, it's a way to make more money- they don't care about learning, they want the degree for a job. For some, it's a way to party and delay becoming an adult.

I'd say athletes fall into the 2nd group. They're there for money. But not the money from a degree, rather the money they hope to get in the pros. I don't see the moral difference between "I should go to college so I can get a better job" and "I should go to college so the NFL will draft me". Neither is interested in anything but selfish monetary gain.

And why should getting money be delayed till after college? If a company wants to hire me my Sr year while I finish classes, great! And if the BI wants to pay me NIL while I play a sport, great! Neither are immoral.

If you want college to be about pure academics, then we should do away will all team sports and just let the do pickup or intramural.

Saltydog
04-27-2023, 03:06 PM

EFF that shit. We are NEVER going to compete with the upper echelon of the SEC in football. Ain't happening, period, end of story. We at least have a fighting chance in baseball.

MBDawg601
04-27-2023, 03:50 PM
I think it's needlessly restrictive to say college can only be ONE thing. For some, college is a way to explore and expand their minds- pure academic interests. For some, it's a way to make more money- they don't care about learning, they want the degree for a job. For some, it's a way to party and delay becoming an adult.

I'd say athletes fall into the 2nd group. They're there for money. But not the money from a degree, rather the money they hope to get in the pros. I don't see the moral difference between "I should go to college so I can get a better job" and "I should go to college so the NFL will draft me". Neither is interested in anything but selfish monetary gain.

And why should getting money be delayed till after college? If a company wants to hire me my Sr year while I finish classes, great! And if the BI wants to pay me NIL while I play a sport, great! Neither are immoral.

If you want college to be about pure academics, then we should do away will all team sports and just let the do pickup or intramural.

If they do not want to attend college for a degree and attend purely to gain exposure in sports, then why should the universities have to pay them for this? They can skip college and try to goto open training camps in 3 years after highschool if that's the case.

The universities spend a lot of money feeding, clothing and developing these young players so that they have a shot in the NFL. Without the training and tv exposure they recieve through playing for these universities, a shot at the pros is very limited. That is worth a whole hell of a lot more than they realize.