PDA

View Full Version : I want to clear the air.

basedog
04-24-2023, 04:22 PM
Have a friend who is a genespage subscriber. I don't read genespage first off but obviously some of you guys do and some of their posters read ED. He told me a few posters have heard rumors that parents and grandparents have stated players don't like the coaching staff. I have my opinion on the staff but I've never asked about what players think or have said about any of them. What I've posted is what I think and see, has nothing to do with any member of my family. Fact is we don't talk about MSU baseball any longer.

So if any of you genepage readers say parents or grandparents want the coaches gone it wasn't from me.

EdwardDrayton
04-24-2023, 04:26 PM
Will continue to watch baseball but baseball season is over. Nothing substantive left to comment about until the announcement is made.

Leroy Jenkins
04-24-2023, 04:30 PM
Have a friend who is a genespage subscriber. I don't read genespage first off but obviously some of you guys do and some of their posters read ED. He told me a few posters have heard rumors that parents and grandparents have stated players don't like the coaching staff. I have my opinion on the staff but I've never asked about what players think or have said about any of them. What I've posted is what I think and see, has nothing to do with any member of my family. Fact is we don't talk about MSU baseball any longer.

So if any of you genepage readers say parents or grandparents want the coaches gone it wasn't from me.

I don't think anyone here would lump you in with that crowd, base. As a matter of fact, I would say you have intentionally measured your comments in the past.

Homedawg
04-24-2023, 04:36 PM
I don't think anyone here would lump you in with that crowd, base. As a matter of fact, I would say you have intentionally measured your comments in the past.

I agree he hasn't said it. However, it was taken over there and said- paraphrasing - there's a guy on ED who is the grandfather of a starting pitcher, who said nobody likes our staff.

basedog
04-24-2023, 04:41 PM

I appreciate that! I have to watch what I say or think about certain things as players and families can have some stressful things said about players and coaches. But I have my opinion on things and ill. Say it again, it ain't the MSU Baseball tradition I know. Something ain't right, rebuild last year ok, rebuild baseball this year with battling for a Sec tourney spot, heck no!

AlSwearengen
04-24-2023, 04:44 PM

Agree. Base has made it clear that he has somewhat removed himself from the family business of baseball.

I had a gene?s page member repeat this to me about a month ago. He mentioned some names but Base?s family was not one of them. As a matter of fact, most of the names mentioned to me aren?t currently on the team.

That said, there weren?t many specifically named and if you asked me who they were, I couldn?t tell you. My memory is not great and it didn?t make a huge impression on me anyway. In other words, no huge stars like a Sims or Bednar or Small types. Someone like that and I would have remembered.

basedog
04-24-2023, 05:05 PM
I agree he hasn't said it. However, it was taken over there and said- paraphrasing - there's a guy on ED who is the grandfather of a starting pitcher, who said nobody likes our staff.

LOL, things like that only make things worse between me and family members. I can tell everyone they are very private on what goes on inside the dugout and coaches.

Todd4State
04-24-2023, 05:07 PM
I never put much stock into what "the parents" or "grand parents" say and I would never lump the opinions of one with the entire group.

I highly suspect like any baseball team there are parents that are happy and some that are upset about various things. It is what it is.

This really goes for pretty much any baseball team.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-24-2023, 05:09 PM
Their is only 6-8 SEC caliber players on the roster. There needs to be a roster and coaching purge that should have been done last year.

Commercecomet24
04-24-2023, 05:21 PM
Base, you are one of the best and your opinion is greatly respected by me. You have always stated that your thoughts were your thoughts and no one else's. People
Suck sometimes!

Cooterpoot
04-24-2023, 05:40 PM
I don't like much of this staff at this point. I don't think many fans do. Is what it is.

EdwardDrayton
04-24-2023, 05:50 PM
Knowing you here on ED, base, nothing like that would ever enter our minds and what's more, most of us a long time ago deep-sixed both the CL and GP.

MetEdDawg
04-24-2023, 05:51 PM
Their is only 6-8 SEC caliber players on the roster. There needs to be a roster and coaching purge that should have been done last year.

I guess I don't agree here. Hines, Jordan, Highfill, Ledbetter, Larry, Alford, Hancock, Clark are all SEC caliber in my opinion. Mershon is young but overall looks the part so far.

From there, Loo, Loftin, Dohm, Cade Smith, Holcombe, Nixon are SEC caliber.

That's 12 right there with a couple guys like Siary and a few others as borderline. That's why I'm frustrated with this staff. I think we absolutely have SEC talent on our team and we aren't generating wins from that.

And by staff I mean Foxhall and Lemonis. Gautreau and Cheese seem to be doing a good job. The inconsistencies I see are from pitching and overall mental approach and awareness.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-24-2023, 07:04 PM
I guess I don't agree here. Hines, Jordan, Highfill, Ledbetter, Larry, Alford, Hancock, Clark are all SEC caliber in my opinion. Mershon is young but overall looks the part so far.

From there, Loo, Loftin, Dohm, Cade Smith, Holcombe, Nixon are SEC caliber.

How many of those players you mentioned would start now for LSU, Vandy, Florida, UPIG?
Hancock LOL. Compare Hancocks SEC stats to Out of conference stats. On all of the pitchers you list, lets see how they look when we play the upper crust of the SEC.

Todd4State
04-24-2023, 07:06 PM
How many of those players you mentioned would start now for LSU, Vandy, Florida, UPIG?
Hancock LOL. Compare Hancocks SEC stats to Out of conference stats. On all of the pitchers you list, let's see how they look when we play the upper crust of the SEC.

Corbin was gushing all over Hancock in Omaha two years ago. I'd say there is a decent chance he would start for them.

gtowndawg
04-24-2023, 07:30 PM
Will continue to watch baseball but baseball season is over. Nothing substantive left to comment about until the announcement is made.

My thoughts exactly.

Coach34
04-24-2023, 07:35 PM
Hancock LOL. Compare Hancocks SEC stats to Out of conference stats. On all of the pitchers you list, lets see how they look when we play the upper crust of the SEC.

We dont lack talent. Jordan, Hines, Ledbetter, Clark, and Larry would start anywhere. Mershon is a quality freshman that would get playing time at all SEC schools. We are one of the top offenses in the country- that tells you we have SEC players. Highfill is a good freshman he just shouldnt be starting.

Loo, Loftin, Dohm, Cade, Holcombe, Nixon are for sure SEC caliber. We have a coaching problem-especially with the pitching

EdwardDrayton
04-24-2023, 07:47 PM
We dont lack talent. Jordan, Hines, Ledbetter, Clark, and Larry would start anywhere. Mershon is a quality freshman that would get playing time at all SEC schools. We are one of the top offenses in the country- that tells you we have SEC players. Highfill is a good freshman he just shouldnt be starting.

Loo, Loftin, Dohm, Cade, Holcombe, Nixon are for sure SEC caliber. We have a coaching problem-especially with the pitching

^^^^^

Fix the problem.

Leroy Jenkins
04-24-2023, 09:13 PM

That pretty much sums it up.

MrCoachKlein
04-24-2023, 09:13 PM

I don't see any reason to disagree with them.

Commercecomet24
04-24-2023, 09:32 PM

The talent is definitely there!

Homedawg
04-24-2023, 09:43 PM
LOL, things like that only make things worse between me and family members. I can tell everyone they are very private on what goes on inside the dugout and coaches.

You've been nothing but a good poster proud of his grandson. And kept private info out. I admire that.

Homedawg
04-24-2023, 09:48 PM

This is way off base.

Homedawg
04-24-2023, 09:50 PM

Well the guy here didn't say that. It was taken out of context. Now it might be true. But base didn't say it. Not once.

basedog
04-24-2023, 10:01 PM

I?ve never stated on ED any of that, pisses me off even saying you agree!,

Commercecomet24
04-24-2023, 10:04 PM

Base I hate you're having to go through something like this! You should be enjoying watching your grandson play for our Dawgs, not having to deal with this kind of nonsense!

basedog
04-24-2023, 10:04 PM
Well the guy here didn't say that. It was taken out of context. Now it might be true. But base didn't say it. Not once.

Thanks, it really pisses me off if someone thinks I talked about ANY player or family member not liking the coaches. It’s not who or what I’m about, now I have my own opinion about the situation.

basedog
04-24-2023, 10:09 PM
Base I hate you're having to go through something like this! You should be enjoying watching your grandson play for our Dawgs, not having to deal with this kind of nonsense!

I appreciate it Cc24. I knew the first time I was related it might be a bad thing. Hope others learn if they have someone involved in sports. I told my daughter from the beginning not to read message boards.

Homedawg
04-24-2023, 10:09 PM
Thanks, it really pisses me off if someone thinks I talked about ANY player or family member not liking the coaches. It’s not who or what I’m about, now I have my own opinion about the situation.

That's the problem w boards. A purple elephant turns into a yellow snake by the time it goes around the room. Just like someone who says "I heard". I heard turns into the gospel even when the poster says I don't know for a fact. Sad but true. And that's how saban has 3 houses at waverly.

The Federalist Engineer
04-24-2023, 11:08 PM
Your a class guy Base, we don't take for anything less than that.

The Federalist Engineer
04-24-2023, 11:15 PM
This is way off base.

The team is literally just a few players and management away from being a top-15 battleship.

Instead of transferring so many inconsistent "electric" arms. The staff should have signed some pitchers that just hit spots and do a remarkable job of competing. Like Beef, Houston Harding, Zach Neff, JB, Plumlee, and JP French

Also, if the roster players could just pitch to strengths, even guys like Tepper, Fristoe, Cerantola, and Caramouche would have done ok or even great for MSU.

Cooterpoot
04-24-2023, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry, our talent level is subpar. Jordan, Ledbetter, Hines, & Clark are about it in this lineup. Maybe Mershon comes on next year. Alford is ok but defense is bad. Pitching is pretty bad overall.
Look around the league and we just aren't very good talent wise. We don't have a Friday stud. Don't have middle relief outside Holcombe. Really, I trust no pitcher on this team. Not a one. Gartman is the closest to consistency we've got.
We're at the bottom defensively and in pitching. No clutch hitting. Few adjustments at the plate. Boneheaded defense. There's a reason we're near the bottom and we're preseason picked there.

MrCoachKlein
04-25-2023, 07:53 AM

I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you said it. I was just bitching about our staffs lack of success in baseball the past 2 years.

Cooterpoot
04-25-2023, 08:19 AM

Larry was hitting about .230 in league play this weekend. He cost us with boneheaded defense too. We have no depth. Loftin has yet to even really throw in the SEC and has control problems since HS. We've got a huge coaching problem on the pitching side but our pitchers aren't very good either. We've lost just about every Friday start. No quality depth in the pen and no elite starters. I've had two former players tell me the staff is quickly losing support. Neither played for Lemonis.

basedog
04-25-2023, 08:58 AM
I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you said it. I was just bitching about our staffs lack of success in baseball the past 2 years.

Gotcha, and I agree!

Coach34
04-25-2023, 09:47 AM
Larry was hitting about .230 in league play this weekend. He cost us with boneheaded defense too. We have no depth. Loftin has yet to even really throw in the SEC and has control problems since HS. We've got a huge coaching problem on the pitching side but our pitchers aren't very good either. We've lost just about every Friday start. No quality depth in the pen and no elite starters. I've had two former players tell me the staff is quickly losing support. Neither played for Lemonis.

We beat Bama on the Friday game and have lost the last 2 Friday's giving up 3 and 2 runs.
Larry had a good weekend this past one and hopefully gets adjusted. Our 2nd baseman in 2021 had to adjust as well if you recall.
Whether Loftin has thrown on the weekend or not doesnt take away from him being an SEC talent. He clearly is. Control certainly needs to improve-as with most freshman.

We arent the most talented in the SEC- but we arent bottom tier either

Cooterpoot
04-25-2023, 10:57 AM
We beat Bama on the Friday game and have lost the last 2 Friday's giving up 3 and 2 runs.
Larry had a good weekend this past one and hopefully gets adjusted. Our 2nd baseman in 2021 had to adjust as well if you recall.
Whether Loftin has thrown on the weekend or not doesnt take away from him being an SEC talent. He clearly is. Control certainly needs to improve-as with most freshman.

We arent the most talented in the SEC- but we arent bottom tier either

Like I said, we've lost almost every Friday start. We don't pitch it or hit it against the best from each team. Take your pick. That's not just coaching. You look at the top 4 teams in this conference and our talent doesn't match it. We couldn't even hit KY great. We got shit down last game against AU by a guy who they said wasn't good. Then pitching and defense was bad. It's one big cluster 17 and coaching is about 70%. But that 30% talent is a problem too. Give me a two pitch pitcher that can locate to both sides of the plate and all I've got to do is throw away and locate and we won't touch it. We sit up there on top of the plate trying to pull every damn pitch regardless of count or situation.
The whole "one game we pitch but don't hit and one game we hit but don't pitch" is a talent problem. The ridiculous inconsistency is talent. The failing to sign good players, pitch calling, poor teaching, and simply following a damn percentage without regard to a "feel for the game", Leading off Kellum Clark, is coaching. We've got a lot of problems.