PDA

View Full Version : Wallen and Hardy in Oxford

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2023, 12:38 PM
Heard from people who went and have seen videos. It looked absolutely incredible. No clue how to start the process but we need to get these kinds of things to Starkville ASAP. Hardy in DWS would sell out tomorrow. Wallen could play in the middle of Hwy 12 and it would draw 100K. He is on a Garth Brooks level right now.

SteelCurtain74
04-23-2023, 12:45 PM
Wife and daughter went to it last night and said it was incredible. Not a current country music guy other than a few songs from Stapleton and Church so I wasn't aware how popular Wallen was. Apparently he is Garth level right now.

Saw Dave Matthews with Jason Mraz and Robert Earl Keen several years ago at Vanderbilt's football stadium. Thought then it would be cool to get that at Davis Wade.

Maroonthirteen
04-23-2023, 12:53 PM
Who was responsible for the concerts at the Hump in the 70s and 80s? Music maker?

Anyways, Garth Brooks and Bon Jovi (during the height of Slippery when Wet) played as well as others.

Cloak
04-23-2023, 12:55 PM
Heard from people who went and have seen videos. It looked absolutely incredible. No clue how to start the process but we need to get these kinds of things to Starkville ASAP. Hardy in DWS would sell out tomorrow. Wallen could play in the middle of Hwy 12 and it would draw 100K. He is on a Garth Brooks level right now.

A mid level guy in Wallen and a low level guy in Hardy. Woaahhhh so crazy. Get out of here lol

Coach34
04-23-2023, 12:56 PM
What positions do they play?

Homedawg
04-23-2023, 12:56 PM
Wallen isn't mid level. Way above that

Cloak
04-23-2023, 12:58 PM

You're wrong. He's a mid level artist at the moment in the industry

Homedawg
04-23-2023, 12:59 PM

Cool.

Homedawg
04-23-2023, 01:00 PM

Most mid level artist sell out a football stadium in Mississippi back to back nights.

WinningIsRelentless
04-23-2023, 01:01 PM
A mid level guy in Wallen and a low level guy in Hardy. Woaahhhh so crazy. Get out of here lol

You need to check those facts. Wallen is one of the top touring acts right now.

Cloak
04-23-2023, 01:03 PM
Most mid level artist sell out a football stadium in Mississippi back to back nights.

He's definitely a higher tier country singer at the moment, but to compare him to Garth is insane

Really Clark?
04-23-2023, 01:08 PM

I'm not a Wallen or a big country person but he was declared the hottest country artists this year and stacking up #1 ones like crazy. Overtaking records and consecutive streaks. This tour has already sold out a bunch of locations and saw 850,000 tickets already sold. He is on top right now, not mid level.

Homedawg
04-23-2023, 01:18 PM
He's definitely a higher tier country singer at the moment, but to compare him to Garth is insane
I missed it where I said that....

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2023, 01:22 PM
Wallen is the 800 lb gorilla in the room at the moment. There is absolutely no denying it. His concerts sell out in minutes and every female from 18-49 obsesses over him.

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2023, 01:23 PM
I missed it where I said that....

I think he was referring to me saying it.

Homedawg
04-23-2023, 01:32 PM
I think he was referring to me saying it.

I get that. But he is the one who called him mid level artist. Then backtracked. After calling me wrong. Which clearly I'm not

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2023, 01:58 PM
I get that. But he is the one who called him mid level artist. Then backtracked. After calling me wrong. Which clearly I'm not

You are not. Morgan is one of the top artists in the world at the moment. He is on the heater of a lifetime. I wish we would have lobbied for something like this. Him and Hardy with Ernest in Davis Wade would have been absolutely legendary. And that is honestly the worst part because with Michael we actually have an in with the hottest musical act on the planet and our administration will not use it to our advantage.

Saltydog
04-23-2023, 02:04 PM
Who was responsible for the concerts at the Hump in the 70s and 80s? Music maker?

Anyways, Garth Brooks and Bon Jovi (during the height of Slippery when Wet) played as well as others.

Yes, it was Music Maker Productions.? Saw many a concert at the Hump.....

viverlibre
04-23-2023, 02:13 PM

into the 90s too, saw Garth Brooks in 92 or 93.

msudawg1200
04-23-2023, 02:37 PM
When I first looked I thought it said Walley, and I was like"Damn, he's in the portal now and headed to the shitbirds". Then I clicked and was relieved.

RockyDog
04-23-2023, 03:14 PM

He is a top level racist

Leeshouldveflanked
04-23-2023, 03:14 PM
95k tickets sold for two shows at average price of $300 is pretty high level for a weekend of work.
Ole Miss was charging $70 for a parking pass I suspect a good amount of NIL $ was made this weekend.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-23-2023, 03:15 PM
He is a top level racist
Go woke go broke.

AlSwearengen
04-23-2023, 03:59 PM
Wallen and Hardy are buddies. Hardy is a State fan, yet they are doing this stuff in oxford. Olemiss and oxford run lap after lap around State and Starkville when it comes to this type stuff.

SailingDawg
04-23-2023, 04:27 PM

Oh he?s top level. Once the n word quote was leaked he shot to the top, especially in Oxford.

SailingDawg
04-23-2023, 04:28 PM

Also, I don?t think Davis Wade would allow people on their turf. It would destroy it.

LC Dawg
04-23-2023, 04:34 PM
Also, I don?t think Davis Wade would allow people on their turf. It would destroy it.

Did you see the spring game?

LC Dawg
04-23-2023, 04:45 PM
Wallen is not and never will be close to Garth in talent but there's no argument that he's crazy popular right now. Oxford/Ole Miss is head and shoulders over Starkville/State in events like this. I'm sure the Oxford locals didn't want that much white trash*** in their town this weekend but the powers that be know the benefits of doing it. Even though Starkville is better there still would be incessant bitching if something like this was even discussed.
The Double Decker lineup next weekend is better than anything Starkville has done in years.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-23-2023, 04:52 PM
$70 parking passes and $15 alcoholic beverages like they had last night would buy a lot of turf. Also I doubt seriously it would damage it much if at all as a lot of stadiums with grass fields do concerts. You would have 4-5 months to get the turf back in shape.

SailingDawg
04-23-2023, 06:01 PM
Did you see the spring game?

It?s always like that in the spring. They?re not preparing it for game day the entire year.

DownwardDawg
04-23-2023, 06:07 PM
He is a top level racist

Anyone that believes this just believes what the news they watch tells them to believe. The only time I've ever had to address that same slur in my line of work as a Team Leader was a young black man on my team said it to his white buddy that showed up on crew change. I calmly discussed it with both of them then let it go. I'm a GenX'r. We're smarter and tougher than than crap.

LC Dawg
04-23-2023, 06:17 PM
It?s always like that in the spring. They?re not preparing it for game day the entire year.

That's my point. I don't see how they couldn't have a concert in the spring because of the turf. Ole Miss has a grass field too.

Biguglyjoe
04-23-2023, 06:41 PM
Wife and daughter went to it last night and said it was incredible. Not a current country music guy other than a few songs from Stapleton and Church so I wasn't aware how popular Wallen was. Apparently he is Garth level right now.

Saw Dave Matthews with Jason Mraz and Robert Earl Keen several years ago at Vanderbilt's football stadium. Thought then it would be cool to get that at Davis Wade.
The real measuring stick is how well he stacks up against Chris Gaines.

Vandownbytheriver
04-23-2023, 07:05 PM
Anyone that believes this just believes what the news they watch tells them to believe. The only time I've ever had to address that same slur in my line of work as a Team Leader was a young black man on my team said it to his white buddy that showed up on crew change. I calmly discussed it with both of them then let it go. I'm a GenX'r. We're smarter and tougher than than crap.

He's not a racist, he's just a dumbass. He made several very dumb decisions around that same timeframe. He went from being relatively unknown to one of the most popular acts in America almost overnight and didn't realize that came with heightened scrutiny and cameras looking for him to mess up. He didn't get caught screaming racial slurs at minorities, he got caught being a drunk moron who already had pissed off neighbors wanting to get his ass out of their neighborhood. With that being said, you can't say that word no matter the circumstances. If you do and get caught, that's your stupidity and you deserve the consequences.

Rawdawg
04-23-2023, 07:33 PM
I had a buddy go yesterday and one there tonight. Both said it?s been wild as hell up there. The bars are slammed packed and people are everywhere

DownwardDawg
04-23-2023, 07:35 PM
He's not a racist, he's just a dumbass. He made several very dumb decisions around that same timeframe. He went from being relatively unknown to one of the most popular acts in America almost overnight and didn't realize that came with heightened scrutiny and cameras looking for him to mess up. He didn't get caught screaming racial slurs at minorities, he got caught being a drunk moron who already had pissed off neighbors wanting to get his ass out of their neighborhood. With that being said, you can't say that word no matter the circumstances. If you do and get caught, that's your stupidity and you deserve the consequences.

He's 100% a dumbass. His label is huge. Big Loud. Hardy wrote Sand in My Boots and helped write all the others.

Jarius
04-23-2023, 07:42 PM

Well everyone else in the conference did. It looked like shit and was embarrassing.

Pancho
04-23-2023, 07:42 PM
he a very rich fella and seem like a normal country boy

LC Dawg
04-23-2023, 07:55 PM
Well everyone else in the conference did. It looked like shit and was embarrassing.

Yep. I had some Ole Miss and LSU coworkers texting me pictures of it to give me a hard time. I responded with the Iverson "We talking about practice" gif but it did look like shit.

Maroonthirteen
04-23-2023, 08:30 PM
State fam... come get your boy. He killing it up here.

Hardy rocked!

Maroonthirteen
04-23-2023, 09:06 PM
Welp what a dud the second act was. Wallen didn't perform. Canceled the show after Hardy finished. Pathetic.

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2023, 09:23 PM
There are more than a few people pissed at how the cancellation was handled. But I mean if the guy has no voice there really is not anything else he can do.

Homedawg
04-23-2023, 09:25 PM
There are more than a few people pissed at how the cancellation was handled. But I mean if the guy has no voice there really is not anything else he can do.

Lots of rumors that it didn't have anything to do w his voice.

Vandownbytheriver
04-23-2023, 09:29 PM
I had a couple of tickets for the show tonight and sold them to someone else because I knew how bad it was going to be with everything they had going on in Oxford this weekend. There was way too much going on already in Oxford this weekend to add two concerts of that size. Very poor planning by the folks in charge of their event management.

RockyDog
04-23-2023, 09:30 PM
Guess Morgan Racist got too rowdy last night. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Turfdawg67
04-23-2023, 10:14 PM
He's 100% a dumbass. His label is huge. Big Loud. Hardy wrote Sand in My Boots and helped write all the others.

Except for his breakout and probably biggest hit, 'Cover Me Up'. Written by the great Jason Isbell. Their careers should be reversed, but I'm sure Isbell is happy being one of the best singer/song writers of our generation... as I'm sure Wallen is happy being a really good singer.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-23-2023, 10:26 PM
Probably Hotty Tottyd a little too much last nite

DownwardDawg
04-23-2023, 10:27 PM
Lots of rumors that it didn't have anything to do w his voice.

Well dang!! What is it?!?!?

DownwardDawg
04-23-2023, 10:31 PM
Except for his breakout and probably biggest hit, 'Cover Me Up'. Written by the great Jason Isbell. Their careers should be reversed, but I'm sure Isbell is happy being one of the best singer/song writers of our generation... as I'm sure Wallen is happy being a really good singer.

Yeah. I shouldn't have said "all". Hardy certainly didn't write all of them but he's a writer for Big Loud. The label pretty much gives Wallen his songs. He's a dang good talent though. One of the biggest stars today whether you like him or not. Daddy's buying $300 concert tickets for their wives and daughters.

parabrave
04-23-2023, 10:32 PM

Billy Joel, Peter Frampton, Kansas Buffett and this was just in 79.

https://ia800604.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/4/items/reveille761980miss/reveille761980miss_jp2.zip&file=reveille761980miss_jp2/reveille761980miss_0286.jp2&id=reveille761980miss&scale=4&rotate=0

starkvegasdawg
04-23-2023, 10:40 PM
Well dang!! What is it?!?!?

I've heard lost his voice and I've heard to hungover from the night before. Also heard he just up and left like a fart in the wind. Your guess is as good as mine what the truth is.

DownwardDawg
04-24-2023, 07:21 AM
I've heard lost his voice and I've heard to hungover from the night before. Also heard he just up and left like a fart in the wind. Your guess is as good as mine what the truth is.

I found out this morning. Not a good look for him but very predictable.

SPMT
04-24-2023, 07:46 AM

Right?! If the guy is sick or has vocal issues, there?s no need for him to risk the long term for one show.

Didn?t he plays Saturday night already?

DownwardDawg
04-24-2023, 09:43 AM
Right?! If the guy is sick or has vocal issues, there?s no need for him to risk the long term for one show.

Didn?t he plays Saturday night already?

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with his voice. But that's what the official story will always be.

Thick
04-24-2023, 10:01 AM
So what ?unofficially? happened then?

Leeshouldveflanked
04-24-2023, 10:06 AM
Ole Miss lost the party 🤷

PMDawg
04-24-2023, 10:07 AM
Wallen is the 800 lb gorilla in the room at the moment. There is absolutely no denying it. His concerts sell out in minutes and every female from 18-49 obsesses over him.

Maybe I should be embarrassed, but I'm actually pretty proud. I have no idea who Wallen or Hardy are. And no, I'm not old.

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2023, 10:28 AM
So what ?unofficially? happened then?

There are rumors that he had a massive hangover. No one will ever be able to confirm those though. The one or two people I know who would have any inside knowledge of it said he did lose his voice but that he and his management could have handled it better. Now I also think he probably had a hell of a hangover as well. Oxford was packed to the gills this weekend. He was in a lose/lose situation though.

Also there is a picture that is going around on social media showing him passed out on a couch and people are saying it was him. It is not. It is from 2020. I know exactly where it was taken.

Tater
04-24-2023, 10:48 AM
Morgan Wallen just faked a voice injury to cover for his hangover. But hey, that stadium should be used to faking injuries.

Besides, Ole Miss is used to spending large sums of money for no return in that football stadium.

This post brought to you by Robert Nkemdiche.

BrunswickDawg
04-24-2023, 11:02 AM
Morgan Wallen just faked a voice injury to cover for his hangover. But hey, that stadium should be used to faking injuries.

Besides, Ole Miss is used to spending large sums of money for no return in that football stadium.

Bravo. Have some Rep.

TrapGame
04-24-2023, 11:20 AM

And it's not the first-time people have left that stadium disappointed.

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2023, 11:40 AM
I can go ahead and tell you that someone is going to file a lawsuit out of this. Those personal injury attorneys are already salivating at the thought on this one. Emotional trauma, emotional distress, etc. And they will win.

Leroy Jenkins
04-24-2023, 12:20 PM
Welp what a dud the second act was. Wallen didn't perform. Canceled the show after Hardy finished. Pathetic.

Are you saying they lost the party?

RockyDog
04-24-2023, 01:47 PM
I can go ahead and tell you that someone is going to file a lawsuit out of this. Those personal injury attorneys are already salivating at the thought on this one. Emotional trauma, emotional distress, etc. And they will win.

Some lawyer from Ridgeland is already on it according to the Clarion Liar

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2023, 02:09 PM
Some lawyer from Ridgeland is already on it according to the Clarion Liar

I knew it was a matter of time. Did not think it would be that quick though. I mean it honestly is an easy win for the atty. you know his label is never going to let it go to discovery so it is just a settlement payout and move on. Because whether he was drunk or not his label will not wanting it to even remotely look like it was anything other than he lost his voice.

msudawglb
04-24-2023, 04:27 PM
I heard that the ticket costs were refunded.

BrunswickDawg
04-24-2023, 05:05 PM
I knew it was a matter of time. Did not think it would be that quick though. I mean it honestly is an easy win for the atty. you know his label is never going to let it go to discovery so it is just a settlement payout and move on. Because whether he was drunk or not his label will not wanting it to even remotely look like it was anything other than he lost his voice.

There is usually a disclaimer on the ticket or on the website at time of purchase about cancellations - no attorney will win that if it's actually a thing and not the OP just poking the Bears for their history of litigious stupidity.

BuckyIsAB****
04-24-2023, 05:51 PM
Hearsay is Wallen was at Kiffins house the night before with some social media influencers. Picture is going around of him and its pretty funny

mparkerfd20
04-24-2023, 06:10 PM
Watching all the housewife Karen's take up for his drunken no-show has definitely been entertaining today.

RocketDawg
04-24-2023, 06:52 PM
Maybe I should be embarrassed, but I'm actually pretty proud. I have no idea who Wallen or Hardy are. And no, I'm not old.

Me either except for the being old part. Had to google Wallen's name; still no idea who Hardy is.

StarkVegasSteve
04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Hearsay is Wallen was at Kiffins house the night before with some social media influencers. Picture is going around of him and its pretty funny

That's an old photo of him. It was taken in 2020 after the Bama incident

TrapGame
04-24-2023, 08:10 PM
Me either except for the being old part. Had to google Wallen's name; still no idea who Hardy is.

Hardy is from Philadelphia, MS. He went to college at Middle Tennessee majoring in music production. He wrote songs for some pretty big names in Nashville before putting out his own album. He blends a lot of rock concepts with some outlaw country sounds. I prefer old country like Cash, Waylon, Merle and Willie. That's what I grew up on. But, Hardy has won me over to the newer country sound. His current album The Mockingbird & The Crow is really good.

Saltydog
04-24-2023, 09:31 PM

Fellas, fellas you have it all wrong. Wallen went to Oxford and hated it so much he entered the transfer portal....

DownwardDawg
04-24-2023, 10:09 PM
Hardy is from Philadelphia, MS. He went to college at Middle Tennessee majoring in music production. He wrote songs for some pretty big names in Nashville before putting out his own album. He blends a lot of rock concepts with some outlaw country sounds. I prefer old country like Cash, Waylon, Merle and Willie. That's what I grew up on. But, Hardy has won me over to the newer country sound. His current album The Mockingbird & The Crow is really good.

And he's with Big Loud. Same label as Wallen. He wrote Sand in My boots for Wallen. Craig Wiseman from Hattiesburg is the label owner.

DownwardDawg
04-24-2023, 10:10 PM

No. Doesn't mean you're old. Just obviously not a country music fan. I wouldn't listen to much country either if it weren't for my son.

DownwardDawg
04-24-2023, 10:11 PM
Fellas, fellas you have it all wrong. Wallen went to Oxford and hated it so much he entered the transfer portal....

Very nice

Mjoelner34
04-25-2023, 10:17 AM
Never heard of either one of them but I find it funny that the group up north who claims to value "culture over agriculture" were stepping all over themselves to go to a concert where I heard the lyrics "I'm rednecker than you" playing during the radio advertisements for tickets.

parabrave
04-25-2023, 10:26 AM
Check out Matt Mitchells newest Short. It's digs at the VH Fiasco/

TrapGame
04-25-2023, 10:30 AM
Never heard of either one of them but I find it funny that the group up north who claims to value "culture over agriculture" were stepping all over themselves to go to a concert where I heard the lyrics "I'm rednecker than you" playing during the radio advertisements for tickets.

Yep, my failed half semester at ole miss when I was 18 and stupid in the fall of '89 included a Thursday night concert by the Indigo Girls in The Grove. There's no way in the bowels of hell they would have had a country artist on campus at point in time. It was all alt rock, folk rock groups. REM had played The Grove the year before.

parabrave
04-25-2023, 10:30 AM

PM the last great country song was about Luckenbach Texas with Willie Waylon and the boys/

TheLostDawg
04-26-2023, 05:31 PM

Well when Strickland was here you had Sugarland at DWS. I think there was a stink after by Mullen that our field was messed up afterwards so they didn't do it again. I could have bad information on this as well as a bad memory. I know that it isn't AD job to get bands but I am sure they play a part in having people make sbw a top shelf weekend. I feel that the past ten years has been coasting in a lot of ways. I remember in 06/07 bulldog bash being top shelf. Multiple stages with fairly big name bands every direction. Not sure what happened after that. Seems every since they get some mediocre band that was popular 20 years plus before. Not sure if it's the budget or what. Could be wrong. Maybe it's gotten better recently and I just don't know

StarkVegasSteve
04-27-2023, 06:45 AM
Well when Strickland was here you had Sugarland at DWS. I think there was a stink after by Mullen that our field was messed up afterwards so they didn't do it again. I could have bad information on this as well as a bad memory. I know that it isn't AD job to get bands but I am sure they play a part in having people make sbw a top shelf weekend. I feel that the past ten years has been coasting in a lot of ways. I remember in 06/07 bulldog bash being top shelf. Multiple stages with fairly big name bands every direction. Not sure what happened after that. Seems every since they get some mediocre band that was popular 20 years plus before. Not sure if it's the budget or what. Could be wrong. Maybe it's gotten better recently and I just don't know

Music Maker and the City co-ruined Bulldog Bash. Now they do it on away weekends and although some of the acts are big, had HARDY a couple of years ago and I believe Ernest is the plan this year, they ruined it by not having it on the big weekends.

The Sugarland thing at DWS was a mess. The weather was bad, Mullen was pissed, and they didn't market the concert very well. I also don't think they let anyone on the field. I will say, however, that the Brett Eldredge concert was a lot better production and was actually marketed. We just need to keep up doing things like that and maybe in 2-3 years we'll be able to draw someone like a Wallen

TheLostDawg
04-27-2023, 07:27 AM
Music Maker and the City co-ruined Bulldog Bash. Now they do it on away weekends and although some of the acts are big, had HARDY a couple of years ago and I believe Ernest is the plan this year, they ruined it by not having it on the big weekends.

The Sugarland thing at DWS was a mess. The weather was bad, Mullen was pissed, and they didn't market the concert very well. I also don't think they let anyone on the field. I will say, however, that the Brett Eldredge concert was a lot better production and was actually marketed. We just need to keep up doing things like that and maybe in 2-3 years we'll be able to draw someone like a Wallen

100% let people on the field

TheLostDawg
04-27-2023, 07:29 AM
And social media wasn't to the extent that it is today either. 20k plus people not necessarily a failure.
However they just stopped doing things of that nature instead of capitalizing on it.

TheLostDawg
04-27-2023, 07:35 AM
On the other hand you're right about bulldog bash. You can't do it on a bad weekend in the fall. Spring weekend is different as there isn't as much going on and people aren't going to different already a couple times each month already. Whoever made that on an away weekend is ignorant