PDA

View Full Version : What I see.

basedog
04-21-2023, 09:07 PM
MSU, Missouri and Old Dixie playing for12th place to make Sec tourney. Let?s just say, this sucks.

We make crazy or awful decisions on what to do with pitching and hitting during the games. Why we weren?t bunting in late inning with Hancock, and lord knows not pinch hitting in a few spots tonight.

Auburn is not a good team but neither are we. We had our chances tonight but lack of clutch hitting was a huge problem with Sec high strikeout tonight. Damn!

We shouldn?t be in this situation after winning a Natty, the no sec or NCAA tourney and a very good chance of not happening again.

GolfDawg
04-21-2023, 09:10 PM
It?s tough to watch. Especially with how well Cade threw tonight.

CaptainObvious
04-21-2023, 09:19 PM
It will be the same next year. It will be 3 straight years of less than mediocrity. We cannot rely on 4 sophomores and 4 freshmen and 1 junior starting next year . Just can?t. Maybe we can get Samford full team to transfer in.

Coach34
04-21-2023, 09:55 PM
Look- Auburn's pitcher was on tonight. So was Cade. It was a Friday night SEC pitching duel.

Our PH'ing choices can certainly be questioned. Hugesak not getting an AB is baffling. But in the end- Auburn bunted, we caught the foul ball- but couldnt throw it all the way to 2nd base to get a runner trying to steal a base on us. We turned a bunt out into a 2 base reward. That cant happen in a close game. Our 3-hole- Hines- cant wear the Golden Sombrero. Cost us offensively. Some of our hitters have to learn that oppo center field exists and is the place that decides if they are a pro hitter or not

Got to win Sat/Sun now. No choice if we want to make the NCAA's

basedog
04-21-2023, 10:12 PM
Look- Auburn's pitcher was on tonight. So was Cade. It was a Friday night SEC pitching duel.

Our PH'ing choices can certainly be questioned. Hugesak not getting an AB is baffling. But in the end- Auburn bunted, we caught the foul ball- but couldnt throw it all the way to 2nd base to get a runner trying to steal a base on us. We turned a bunt out into a 2 base reward. That cant happen in a close game. Our 3-hole- Hines- cant wear the Golden Sombrero. Cost us offensively. Some of our hitters have to learn that oppo center field exists and is the place that decides if they are a pro hitter or not

Got to win Sat/Sun now. No choice if we want to make the NCAA's

I get and understand it was a pitchers dual. But our our on the field decisions is baffling. We shouldn’t be in this situation, losing is losing and we’ve done enough of this in Sec play last year and half. Our plate displine was bad, like you stated go to opposite field instead of trying to pull pitches.

Goldendawg
04-21-2023, 10:24 PM
Read free 24/7 Q & A postgame interview with Coach Lemonis. Part of it: Doesn't know what was different about our strikeouts tonight and says we are in love with home run ball on offense. Is it not his job at $1.3 mil or so at this point to know and to teach his players to hit for contact or to the opposite field at times?

Todd4State
04-21-2023, 10:30 PM
Read free 24/7 Q & A postgame interview with Coach Lemonis. Part of it: Doesn't know what was different about our strikeouts tonight and says we are in love with home run ball on offense. Is it not his job at $1.3 mil or so at this point to know and to teach his players to hit for contact or to the opposite field at times?

That's on Gautreau. He needs to call a brief meeting in the dugout and tell them to just put the ball in play and take good at bats.

That ballpark is a notorious hitters park like Kentucky. That's probably part of the reason our guys were over swinging at everything.

Also this is a huge series for Auburn. They're trying to build themselves into a SEC powerhouse and they want to be us.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2023, 10:35 PM
Games like this happen sometimes when pitchers are on. It ain't easy hitting this stuff. We are the hardest team to k and are in top 3 in walks so our plate discipline is fine. The problem is we've dug ourselves such a hole that every game we don't win is huge. If our record was better games like this wouldn't hurt as bad. Pitchers have great games sometimes and hitters have great games sometimes. Hunter and Dakota been carrying us lately so it's really hard to fault them, sometimes others have to pickup the slack. On the plus side our pitching has been stout the last 3 weeks. Gotta win next 2 for sure

CaptainObvious
04-21-2023, 10:42 PM
If this team couldn?t win with that performance by Cade and Dohm, I sure don?t see them winning the next 2. I do expect a split. But that isn?t good enough. Coming out of Auburn 1-2 is a death knell to tourney hopes. They are the weakest team left on our schedule.

basedog
04-21-2023, 10:58 PM
Games like this happen sometimes when pitchers are on. It ain't easy hitting this stuff. We are the hardest team to k and are in top 3 in walks so our plate discipline is fine. The problem is we've dug ourselves such a hole that every game we don't win is huge. If our record was better games like this wouldn't hurt as bad. Pitchers have great games sometimes and hitters have great games sometimes. Hunter and Dakota been carrying us lately so it's really hard to fault them, sometimes others have to pickup the slack. On the plus side our pitching has been stout the last 3 weeks. Gotta win next 2 for sure

Well you know more than I on coaching baseball. But when pitchers are dealing, every base runner is important. In saying this sometimes you have to play small ball, putting the ball in play such as punting, hitting to the opposite side or just choke up and put the ball in play. 14 strikeouts was amazing but awful.

But as Ron Polk use to say “That’s Baseball”. Something ain’t right with what I’m seeing CC24, it starts at the top.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2023, 11:49 PM
Well you know more than I on coaching baseball. But when pitchers are dealing, every base runner is important. In saying this sometimes you have to play small ball, putting the ball in play such as punting, hitting to the opposite side or just choke up and put the ball in play. 14 strikeouts was amazing but awful.

But as Ron Polk use to say ?That?s Baseball?. Something ain?t right with what I?m seeing CC24, it starts at the top.

There was some odd happening tonight. I was screaming at him to bunt Hancock(and I hate bunting) but I knew what was about to happen. Luke hits so many balls to ss a dp was almost a forgone conclusion. Pinch hitting for Highfill with downs when Ross has potential to run into one. Also if we tie or take the lead who catches? You move Hancock behind the plate and Hines go first you lose the dh. I suppose you could put siebert at first in that situation but that's not a good place to be either. Also if you're gonna pinch hit with the tying run on why not use Hujsak? Just some really odd decisions, but hey they don't ask me. Cade looked awesome! Let's hope we win then next two but geez we should've found a way in this one.

basedog
04-22-2023, 05:19 AM
There was some odd happening tonight. I was screaming at him to bunt Hancock(and I hate bunting) but I knew what was about to happen. Luke hits so many balls to ss a dp was almost a forgone conclusion. Pinch hitting for Highfill with downs when Ross has potential to run into one. Also if we tie or take the lead who catches? You move Hancock behind the plate and Hines go first you lose the dh. I suppose you could put siebert at first in that situation but that's not a good place to be either. Also if you're gonna pinch hit with the tying run on why not use Hujsak? Just some really odd decisions, but hey they don't ask me. Cade looked awesome! Let's hope we win then next two but geez we should've found a way in this one.

I really like your inside take on baseball. I keep saying this, but something is wrong with our program. We shouldn't be in tied in next to last place with Missouri. Watching our program being destroyed is like watching Msu football back in the late 60's. When you build a $65 million dollar stadium and have the largest crowd attendance records and don't make the tourneys says I'm right.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-22-2023, 07:53 AM
We bunted when we shouldnt have around 4th-5th inning and did not bunt when we should have and The Walking Double Play Hancock does what he does.

Pinto
04-22-2023, 08:56 AM
Why is Hancock still in the lineup? We gain nothing by playing him. Play for next year and get guys experience.

tcdog70
04-22-2023, 09:36 AM
At one time we were running with success. We have speed but don’t use it, I would like to use Clark against righties and Chance against lefties. Why with Hancock do we not hit and run? The loss tonight is on Hines, He has to make contact. Scoring one run just sucks. We would have been better off if Ross doesn’t catch the pop up . So MSU to make a great play then hit the runner for a two base advance.

Captain Falcon
04-22-2023, 10:21 AM
Just one of those nights. Cap tip to Auburn?s pitchers, they executed very well and made us uncomfortable. It wasn?t a case where we beat ourself in the usual ways, we just got beat.

The magic number for SEC wins is 8, you need 8 more from this point on. Most straight forward path is to win tomorrow and Sunday and cut that number to 6. I will not be shocked if we do win the next two, but we need to keep pitching at a high level and for our bats to be much better the next two days.

You are not necessarily dead if you lose the series this weekend but it would be getting late early for sure. Making the NCAAT would then require some 2018 style Herculean efforts against really good teams.

Commercecomet24
04-22-2023, 04:10 PM
I really like your inside take on baseball. I keep saying this, but something is wrong with our program. We shouldn't be in tied in next to last place with Missouri. Watching our program being destroyed is like watching Msu football back in the late 60's. When you build a $65 million dollar stadium and have the largest crowd attendance records and don't make the tourneys says I'm right.

Im dumbfounded sometimes. We have talent and there's no way we should be in this big of a hole. I get physically ill sometimes watching because I know we should be better. Let's hope we find a way to get to postseason and maybe get things righted again. Gonna take some big stones from everyone involved with the program!