Why?

Asked for min mark that you clearly posted

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 10:35 PM
Asked for min mark that you clearly posted

LOL!! I thought you meant the thread.

Todd4State
04-18-2023, 12:22 AM
Pretty fair analysis. The offense was pretty sloppy now that I have had a chance to watch some of it.

ArrowDawg
04-18-2023, 09:10 AM
Pretty fair analysis. The offense was pretty sloppy now that I have had a chance to watch some of it.

It was, and ball security is a concern.

BlackSailsDawg
04-18-2023, 09:27 AM
It was, and ball security is a concern.

As is route running. It was not good.

viverlibre
04-18-2023, 09:31 AM
Cole is one of the few college analysts who really puts the work in and studies film. He actually gets too in depth for me, he can break down the three team long snapper for Vandy.

Bothrops
04-18-2023, 10:01 AM
I'm concerned the offense is going to take a while. Like several games into the season before execution is good enough to get things moving along. A lot of work to do with limited time.

662dawg
04-18-2023, 10:02 AM
Yea we should definitely freak out that a true freshman running back that's supposed to still be in high school mishandled a pitch & that our veteran Rogers kinda pitched a hand off into Pitman's chest instead of sticking it in there. All during a spring game learning a new offense. It's definitely time to freak out***

Fwiw it was said that Pitman has fumbled TWICE in his High School/Juco career COMBINED. TWICE. TWO TIMES.

And btw if he didn't notice the much improved footwork of Will Rogers then he wasn't being objective at all.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-18-2023, 10:13 AM
I'm not worried about fumbles, that can be cleaned up pretty easily.

I don't get the route running issue though. We had 3 seasons of 2 WR coaches and 40+ passes a game and a HC that based his offense on WR-QB consistency. How did we forget how to run routes in 1 off-season? There no route in Barbays offense that calls for fundamentally different footwork than Leaches. Are the WRs no sure what routes they're running? I could see how that would lead to non confident cuts. Did we spend so much time learning to beat zone that we never learned to run a crisp man to man route? Or is it that Bumphis isn't good?

It's odd to me. I won't worry till we're sloppy in a real game though. Lot of practice to go

Tbonewannabe
04-18-2023, 10:29 AM
His analysis of us starts at 28:10

662dawg
04-18-2023, 10:36 AM

I don't get the route running issue though. We had 3 seasons of 2 WR coaches and 40+ passes a game and a HC that based his offense on WR-QB consistency. How did we forget how to run routes in 1 off-season? There no route in Barbays offense that calls for fundamentally different footwork than Leaches. Are the WRs no sure what routes they're running? I could see how that would lead to non confident cuts. Did we spend so much time learning to beat zone that we never learned to run a crisp man to man route? Or is it that Bumphis isn't good?

It's odd to me. I won't worry till we're sloppy in a real game though. Lot of practice to go

Our route running hasn't been very good the last 3 years. This isn't a new problem. Maybe Bump can fix this but he's gonna need a little time.

Goldendawg
04-18-2023, 11:56 AM

I would think that running most routes to open space in the air raid is much different than running a specific route on a specific play. Probably slower developing routes rather than get it out asap. He did mention this is a new concept for Will also.

Irondawg
04-18-2023, 10:04 PM
I?m more concerned about our qb situation behind Will. Wright throws a terrible ball and Parsons I?m told will redshirt as he recovers from an injury.

Do we try to dip into the portal for another qb?

Todd4State
04-19-2023, 12:18 AM
I would think that running most routes to open space in the air raid is much different than running a specific route on a specific play. Probably slower developing routes rather than get it out asap. He did mention this is a new concept for Will also.

I would imagine most offenses/plays have progression reads where the receiver can adjust based on coverage.

There certainly are man on man yes/no reads in some plays. They're different than most of what we were doing but they're not infallible especially if we're going up against a more talented team.

When you have guys running deeper routes then the QB has to wait for the receivers to get downfield. It just requires time for the receivers to get downfield. Think about it- let's assume a receiver runs a 4.5 40. The QB is going to have to wait at least 3 seconds for the receiver to get to a spot where he can throw it accurately down field 40 yards and that's probably best case scenario. Maybe four because the receiver is going to have to contend with the corner and maybe a safety.

Todd4State
04-19-2023, 12:19 AM
I?m more concerned about our qb situation behind Will. Wright throws a terrible ball and Parsons I?m told will redshirt as he recovers from an injury.

Do we try to dip into the portal for another qb?

I think we should. I'd probably target Ty Simpson from Alabama and promise him the job next year.