PDA

View Full Version : We are not lighting it up in recruiting

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 09:40 PM
I was excited to see 2 new guys.. Then I saw they were not even ranked.

Any news on these 2?

Pancho
04-17-2023, 09:42 PM
yes, was reported last week when they committed

SPMT
04-17-2023, 09:49 PM
I was excited to see 2 new guys.. Then I saw they were not even ranked.

Any news on these 2?

What sport?

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 09:56 PM
Football..

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Season/2024-Football/Commits/

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2023, 10:10 PM
Yea as I said the other day, this staff doesn't seem to have a very firm recruiting plan. These are guys we could've gotten in November if we needed. Honestly we don't need to be taking them at all. If you're taking guys like this then just focus on the portal. We'll see how it turns out and maybe they'll get it figured out but doesn't look good right now.

SPMT
04-17-2023, 10:15 PM
Yea as I said the other day, this staff doesn't seem to have a very firm recruiting plan. These are guys we could've gotten in November if we needed. Honestly we don't need to be taking them at all. If you're taking guys like this then just focus on the portal. We'll see how it turns out and maybe they'll get it figured out but doesn't look good right now.

Not totally surprising with a brand new head coach in all facets. HOWEVER, if that isn?t solved, it will be a short tenure as we all know. Hope not, of course.

Todd4State
04-17-2023, 10:31 PM
Not totally surprising with a brand new head coach in all facets. HOWEVER, if that isn?t solved, it will be a short tenure as we all know. Hope not, of course.

The whole point in hiring these guys from Mississippi was because they were supposed to immediately clean it up in recruiting.

At least that was what I was told.

I'm going to enjoy Will's last year because I think I see where this is ultimately headed after this year.

Cowbell
04-17-2023, 10:31 PM

Have you seen either of these kids play?

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 10:34 PM

I mean I understand grabbing a guy you KNOW is going to be ranked... But this seems under whelming.

msstate7
04-17-2023, 10:36 PM
I'm not a fan of taking unranked guys early, but in Mississippi, sometimes that means nothing. Wasn't Chris jones unranked?

Cooterpoot
04-17-2023, 10:37 PM
I'm going to be quiet right now. But what I'm hearing isn't good.

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 10:38 PM
I'm not a fan of taking unranked guys early, but in Mississippi, sometimes that means nothing. Wasn't Chris jones unranked?

https://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Jones-21625/high-school-34333/

5 star

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 10:39 PM
I'm going to be quiet right now. But what I'm hearing isn't good.

Not heard a thing. Just was excited to see 2 new guys and then the let down. BUT, again...... I have not seen them.

msstate7
04-17-2023, 10:40 PM

5 star

That's after he blew up. Dan took him in summer camp or something early when he was unranked

BuckyIsAB****
04-17-2023, 10:40 PM
It?s going to be ok. Arnett is not going to be out worked. He is one of us. We did let some other voices play a big role in who we hired but that is why it?s called a program. The head coach is supposed to take input from others. If he didnt no one will follow him. One person can not do it alone. We have a good staff. We are going to be fine recruiting.

Cowbell
04-17-2023, 10:43 PM
The whole point in hiring these guys from Mississippi was because they were supposed to immediately clean it up in recruiting.

I'm going to enjoy Will's last year because I think I see where this is ultimately headed after this year.

You aren't gonna immediately clean it up in recruiting in 3 months time at a non-blue blood. Ain't happening. These guys did well to finish recruiting for this past cycle and you think you guys could give them the benefit of the doubt after less than 90 days of them been together.

SPMT
04-17-2023, 10:52 PM
You aren't gonna immediately clean it up in recruiting in 3 months time at a non-blue blood. Ain't happening. These guys did well to finish recruiting for this past cycle and you think you guys could give them the benefit of the doubt after less than 90 days of them been together.

Cannot disagree.

BlackSailsDawg
04-17-2023, 11:44 PM
That's after he blew up. Dan took him in summer camp or something early when he was unranked

No.. That's his HS ranking. H was a high 4 star on ESPN and ranked the 46th best player in the nation.

247Sports had him ranked as the second-best strong-side defensive end and the 18th-best overall recruit in its composite rankings.

Quaoarsking
04-17-2023, 11:53 PM
I think many of us will remember that Jones was a 2-star for most of his HS senior season and didn't get bumped up to a 5-star until very late in the recruiting process.

Cowbell
04-18-2023, 12:04 AM
No.. That's his HS ranking. H was a high 4 star on ESPN and ranked the 46th best player in the nation.

247Sports had him ranked as the second-best strong-side defensive end and the 18th-best overall recruit in its composite rankings.

Let me speak slowly here. Rankings change. He was unranked then a 2 star when we offered him. That changed when everyone found out about him.

Cowbell
04-18-2023, 12:07 AM

Agreed. I feel confident that if we are taking kids this early, there is a reason. We have not wasted many scholarships on defense since arnette has been at the helm.

Todd4State
04-18-2023, 12:12 AM

How about unranked guys from Alabama and Louisiana?

I don't even recall Dan starting a class like this. This sincerely looks like a Croom 2005 class so far.

Moreso the issue is in state targets that have committed elsewhere. It's one thing to if they were uncommitted still- but with guys like Harrell, Daniels, and Noreel White committed to other schools that's not a good look. That's a lot of guys to try to flip.

Lord McBuckethead
04-18-2023, 12:32 AM
Not when Dan took him. He was an unranked prospect. He debut at 4* late in the summer and worked his way up to #2 DL overall by the end behind Nkimdiche.

dawgday166
04-18-2023, 01:02 AM
Too early to be worried about it. The sky ain't falling just yet.

When the class is final tho, we better end up with at least that 5* Dlineman and maybe both of the 5*s. That is unless they don't have the grades or there are character issues or something like that. Maybe also if one goes to Bama or Gawga.

We should get a minimum of 2 of the top 4 in state guys IMO cause they all play positions we typically send to the League.

SpaceBully
04-18-2023, 01:17 AM

Believe he was a 2 star for a brief period. Then jumped up to a 3 fairly quickly. Then his films started getting around to the recruiting services and he blew up all the way to a legit 5 star.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-18-2023, 04:02 AM
We have one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the group of 5. The lowest recruiting budget in the SEC excluding Vandy. Ole Miss recruiting budget is 3 times our budget. Our NIL is the lowest in the SEC and we spend the majority of our NIL keeping players on our roster.

ZedFedder
04-18-2023, 05:47 AM
I think Arnett will do well here. I think he has the right mindset, tools, and ability.

I also am very underwhelmed by the start of this class.

Both can be true.

Pancho
04-18-2023, 06:20 AM
We have one of the lowest recruiting budgets in the group of 5. The lowest recruiting budget in the SEC excluding Vandy. Ole Miss recruiting budget is 3 times our budget. Our NIL is the lowest in the SEC and we spend the majority of our NIL keeping players on our roster.

and grass is still green

KB21
04-18-2023, 06:37 AM
Recruiting would be better right now had Arnett kept most of the previous staff.

PGHBulldogBG
04-18-2023, 06:50 AM
How do people know the NIL allotments and who has more money than who? I thought those numbers were kind of kept secured up. Why would Ole Miss have 3 times the amount of NIL than State for recruiting? That doesn’t really make sense unless we truly do not have fans with the same financial success in life than Ole Miss? I mean I understand Bama, UGA, LSU, UF, Tenn, aTm and Auburn having more money, but not sure why we would be worse off than the SEC teams outside that group

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-18-2023, 07:03 AM
I questioned several of our hires. Bumphis doesn't have an impressive college coaching resume, but I was told he'll help with MS kids. Friend was hated by TN and Auburn fans, but I was told he'll recruit well in state. Hughes was kept for his in state recruiting. We rehired Peterson who has instate ties.not saying any particular hire is bad, just that it's a LOT of MS recruiting logic

Like, how much MS coverage do you need before you get diminishing returns? If a kid doesn't want to come to State, having more State coaches recruit him won't change that. If a HS has no SEC caliber players, having 2 coaches pour over their game film vs 1 won't help us.

The recruiting foundation should be MS, I 100% agree with that. We HAVE to find our diamonds in the rough and get on them before they blow up. But we also HAVE to bring intakent from out of state. And if we can't bring in out of state guys AND we can't win the top instate kids, well that's a disaster.

All that said, its too early to call the staff out. It's not looking good and many insiders are alluding to bad rumors, but let's see who signs in December before we call out anyone.

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2023, 07:13 AM
Recruiting would be better right now had Arnett kept most of the previous staff.

Sure it would be better "right now" because they had kids they had been working on. Kids have not seen what we are going to look like schematically yet. Going forward it remains to be seen.
And, with the portal, if it HS recruiting takes a cycle to get going we can always pull guys who are ready to play now.

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2023, 07:15 AM

And we will end up with a class between 20-30 per usual.

bulldogcountry1
04-18-2023, 07:17 AM
I guess the way the staff held together the recruiting class and the existing roster is already forgotten.

KOdawg1
04-18-2023, 07:30 AM
There's legit reason to be concerned. There's no reason to melt yet

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 07:45 AM

5 star

Chris Jones was unranked when we took his commitment. Nobody knew about him.

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 07:48 AM

Bc it was sooo much better at this time last year right???? Just shut up

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2023, 07:56 AM
Chris Jones was unranked when we took his commitment. Nobody knew about him.

Yeah. I think that falls into the "tell me you dont know what you are talking about without telling me you dont know what you are talking about" category.

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2023, 08:32 AM
Mayfield is a very good player on a (how to say this nicely) not good Louisiana 4A team.

1bigdawg
04-18-2023, 08:34 AM
I questioned several of our hires. Bumphis doesn't have an impressive college coaching resume, but I was told he'll help with MS kids. Friend was hated by TN and Auburn fans, but I was told he'll recruit well in state. Hughes was kept for his in state recruiting. We rehired Peterson who has instate ties.not saying any particular hire is bad, just that it's a LOT of MS recruiting logic

Like, how much MS coverage do you need before you get diminishing returns? If a kid doesn't want to come to State, having more State coaches recruit him won't change that. If a HS has no SEC caliber players, having 2 coaches pour over their game film vs 1 won't help us.

The recruiting foundation should be MS, I 100% agree with that. We HAVE to find our diamonds in the rough and get on them before they blow up. But we also HAVE to bring intakent from out of state. And if we can't bring in out of state guys AND we can't win the top instate kids, well that's a disaster.

All that said, its too early to call the staff out. It's not looking good and many insiders are alluding to bad rumors, but let's see who signs in December before we call out anyone.

Bumphis was the WR coach for the two time PAC champion. What is not impressive about that?

662dawg
04-18-2023, 08:43 AM
Imagine thinking we are just taking kids to fill spots less than a week after the spring game. Imagine being that idiotic. I wanna laugh at this foolishness but it's actually too damn sad to even muster up a giggle.

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 08:49 AM

But see that's the problem. The talking points that the media went with was that this staff was going to immediately come in and "lock down the state" because of all their recruiting connections. That was completely false and you could see it from a mile away. These guys were pushed by boosters and Brad Peterson. It's that simple. Doesn't mean their bad coaches or bad recruiters. They're not great recruiters right now, but they may be ok in time. I'm not going to judge position groups in a spring game, although they were underwhelming. The issue that most people, including myself, had was that we knew the reason this staff was hired and it wasn't what was fed to the fanbase. Just have a tad bit of honesty with things. Say we hired Will Friend because he's from Philadelphia and is career line coach in this league who's been on some good staffs. Ala Matt Luke. Just say we hired Chad Bumphis because he played here. If he was just another WR coach at Utah we wouldn't have given him a second look. Now David Turner actually has recruited good players in this state before, a couple of great players. But his best days as a position coach are well behind him. And David will keep us in the game with Beavers and Franklin. Not saying we'll get them, but he'll be able to stay around til the end.

KB21
04-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Bumphis was the WR coach for the two time PAC champion. What is not impressive about that?

He was the WRs coach for a team that was 85th and 50th in passing the past two years.

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 08:52 AM
Let me speak slowly here. Rankings change. He was unranked then a 2 star when we offered him. That changed when everyone found out about him.

Well and thanks to Dan and John we kept him hidden for as long as we did. We convinced him not to camp at multiple places that summer. I'm still not sure how they did that, but they pulled it off. If it wasn't for the MS/AL and the Under Armour AA game no one would've known about Chris.

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 08:57 AM

No s*** Sherlock. You really went out on a limb there. But you don't keep a staff for a recruiting class. Arnett didn't want to run the Pure Air Raid, which no one does, and so he moved on. He's the one making millions a year and it will be his ass we fire if his way fails. Now as I've now told you no less than 100 times in two months either get on board or get off the message boards and go support your best friend Steve Spurrier Jr at Tulsa.

BlackSailsDawg
04-18-2023, 09:00 AM

I thought we were under way building a national brand. I travel and always have something MSU related on. For the past 3 years, I had more people talk MSU Football than ever. I also felt like our skill positions were always picking up. I never had a concern with quality WRs, RB, and QBs.

It feels like somebody said, "we are going to focus on local talent and have to develop them" and we reversed our plan. Like I said, It's a wait an see.

BlackSailsDawg
04-18-2023, 09:07 AM

What did the passing game look like there? I know what I saw in the spring game was not great route running and catching. And here it is in a nut shell. Those guys are not freshmen. they are are vets.

Not being an arse, but.......

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2023, 09:08 AM
This time last year we had 3 commits who actually have now signed -
Malik Ellis (3 star); Ty Jones (3 Star), and Joseph Head (3 Star)

Y'all act like we've spent the past decade loading up on early 4 & 5 star recruits. We are exactly where we normally are this time of year. We will likely pick up 3-4 more over the next few weeks, then Summer camps start the flurry of commits.
But, I guess like clock work we have to freak out about something.

KB21
04-18-2023, 09:09 AM
What did the passing game look like there? I know what I saw in the spring game was not great route running and catching. And here it is in a nut shell. Those guys are not freshmen. they are are vets.

Not being an arse, but.......

It?s very clear to me. They hired a bunch of coaches from teams with crappy passing offenses.

PGHBulldogBG
04-18-2023, 09:13 AM
I am not saying Arnett is not the right man for the job, but I still do not like the way the search went. I felt as though we should have hired an AD prior to making a head football coaching hire. Maybe Selmon would have thought Arnett was best, but I wish the Selmon hiring would have happened before the Arnett hiring. Arnett seems to have a mindset that fits Mississippi State though and that is important. His experience is the biggest concern and his ability to manage a SEC offense. These next few years will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out.

KB21
04-18-2023, 09:14 AM
No s*** Sherlock. You really went out on a limb there. But you don't keep a staff for a recruiting class. Arnett didn't want to run the Pure Air Raid, which no one does, and so he moved on. He's the one making millions a year and it will be his ass we fire if his way fails. Now as I've now told you no less than 100 times in two months either get on board or get off the message boards and go support your best friend Steve Spurrier Jr at Tulsa.

Yeah. I know. No other Leach protege has had success with their own version of Mike?s Air Raid. I mean Sonny Dykes, Dana Holgorsen, Lincoln Riley, Kliff Kingsbury, Sonny Cumbie, Seth Littrell, Graham Harrell?..I just don?t see why anyone would want to hire a former Leach offensive assistant to implement the Air Raid.

BlackSailsDawg
04-18-2023, 09:19 AM
Arnett seems to have a mindset that fits Mississippi State though and that is important.

What does that even mean in the scheme of things?

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 09:20 AM
This thread is sad and predictable... The air raid holdouts bitching and complaining like they've done on every football thread since Barbay was announced. Now they start the threads so they can whine. How bout this, we know how you feel KB, Todd and Black Sails... your points have been noted. Now get onboard or STFU. And this is coming from a huge Leach fan.

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 09:22 AM

Y'all act like we've spent the past decade loading up on early 4 & 5 star recruits. We are exactly where we normally are this time of year. We will likely pick up 3-4 more over the next few weeks, then Summer camps start the flurry of commits.

Well said as usual. But it's only 3 or 4 air-raid babies that are freaking out.

ArrowDawg
04-18-2023, 09:24 AM

Same.

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 09:27 AM
Yeah. I know. No other Leach protege has had success with their own version of Mike?s Air Raid. I mean Sonny Dykes, Dana Holgorsen, Lincoln Riley, Kliff Kingsbury, Sonny Cumbie, Seth Littrell, Graham Harrell?..I just don?t see why anyone would want to hire a former Leach offensive assistant to implement the Air Raid.

Kliff has been fired everywhere he's ever been. Sonny Cumbie just became a HC LAST year. Littrell was just fired. Harrell has never been a HC. And I love Dana and Sonny but Sonny was fired at Cal and got beat 65-7 by the same UGA team we only got beat by 26 by.

Lincoln and Art Briles are the only ones "The Air Raid" has worked for and their best teams run it 60/40. They're nothing like Leach. Hell Dana runs it more than that.

Commercecomet24
04-18-2023, 09:28 AM
Has there ever been a year when folks weren't concerned about recruiting? I can't remember one and we always wind up with the same #20-30 ranked class. Hey at least we're consistent. The same stories, same rumors and same concerns are voiced on here every year, we could just put them on replay and it'd be the same. I used to get worked up about recruiting but I've passed that stage. Would I like us to have a top 5 class every year? You bet! But I'm also a realist. Zach is not gonna be outworked and we're going to be ok

Commercecomet24
04-18-2023, 09:30 AM

You are one of the few rational minds left on here. Great post as usual, Bruns!

Really Clark?
04-18-2023, 09:31 AM
He was the WRs coach for a team that was 85th and 50th in passing the past two years.

And they were 46th in yards per attempt, we were 111th. They were 17th in TD's passing while throwing it nearly 200 less times than we did. What was their passing efficiency ratings, since you like advanced stats as well?

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 09:34 AM

So I don't think it's the fact we only have 3 or 4 commits and if the guys we had committed were in state guys I think people would have a little more patience. But the last two commits have been OOS projects. Combine that with this being one of the best in state classes in years and making no head way in it I understand the frustration.

Really Clark?
04-18-2023, 09:36 AM
I am not saying Arnett is not the right man for the job, but I still do not like the way the search went. I felt as though we should have hired an AD prior to making a head football coaching hire. Maybe Selmon would have thought Arnett was best, but I wish the Selmon hiring would have happened before the Arnett hiring. Arnett seems to have a mindset that fits Mississippi State though and that is important. His experience is the biggest concern and his ability to manage a SEC offense. These next few years will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out.

We couldn't have for a number of reasons. Mainly the complaining about recruiting now would have been total nuclear melt down in Dec when we lost that class and scrambled to put one together for Feb. Mike's passing was tragic but it also came at a bad time as well. Secondly, Mike trusted Zach and was grooming him to take over a program, either here or hired away elsewhere if Mike was able to still coach for a number of years.

BlackSailsDawg
04-18-2023, 09:41 AM
Has there ever been a year when folks weren't concerned about recruiting? I can't remember one and we always wind up with the same #20-30 ranked class. Hey at least we're consistent. The same stories, same rumors and same concerns are voiced on here every year, we could just put them on replay and it'd be the same. I used to get worked up about recruiting but I've past that stage. Would I like us to have a top 5 class every year? You bet! But I'm also a realist. Zach is not gonna be outworked and we're going to be ok

You can have a top class by recruiting pure numbers. That does not mean recruiting well. It's not the Ranking so much as it is the skill positions needed to win. An example from last year is Michigan st who was ranked 23rd with only 16 recruits.

The difference in our recruiting lately has been at the skill positions needed.

Right now, Arkansas has more 4 star players out of the state of Mississippi than we do including a LB

BlackSailsDawg
04-18-2023, 09:44 AM
So I don't think it's the fact we only have 3 or 4 commits and if the guys we had committed were in state guys I think people would have a little more patience. But the last two commits have been OOS projects. Combine that with this being one of the best in state classes in years and making no head way in it I understand the frustration.

And we are being out recruited in the state we were told would be locked down at the expense of a broader market. Like I said.. the hawgs have taken 2 of the top 10 players in our state.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-18-2023, 09:49 AM
And they were 46th in yards per attempt, we were 111th. They were 17th in TD's passing while throwing it nearly 200 less times than we did. What was their passing efficiency ratings, since you like advanced stats as well?

I'm not who you're responding too and I'm not looking up advanced stats. BUT, I look at the fanbases reaction to loosing a coach. Are they sad, happy, or neutral? Utah fans were neutral on Bump. Hands werent great, players didn't develop, and WR recruiting was the same under him vs before. They were fine to see him go.

TN fans were happy when Friend was fired, and Auburn fans were happy when he was fired. To me that's the worst hire we made. But in my opinion we could have also done better than Bump

TrapGame
04-18-2023, 09:49 AM
I think many of us will remember that Jones was a 2-star for most of his HS senior season and didn't get bumped up to a 5-star until very late in the recruiting process.

I believe when LSU and Bama both offered his stock skyrocketed. I remember people upset we were on to this un-ranked kid but people from his area were telling us no, this kid is a beast.

Commercecomet24
04-18-2023, 09:51 AM
Long way to go until december. Lot of things can change. There is always a reason for concern in recruiting but why don't we give it a little more than April before the melt starts.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Long way to go until december. Lot of things can change. There is always a reason for concern in recruiting but why don't we give it a little more than April before the melt starts.

The board has to complain about something at all times. The baseball team won so we can't talk about that. Men's and women's basketball did good enough to get a pass on the off-season. New AD hasn't messed up yet. Keenum hasn't had a Fallwell Jr scandal. Football has no on field results to pic apart yet. Spring scrimage has already been discussed. That leaves football recruiting

It's Newtons little known 4th law on motion- "a sports board shall always find something to worry about"

Really Clark?
04-18-2023, 10:01 AM
I'm not who you're responding too and I'm not looking up advanced stats. BUT, I look at the fanbases reaction to loosing a coach. Are they sad, happy, or neutral? Utah fans were neutral on Bump. Hands werent great, players didn't develop, and WR recruiting was the same under him vs before. They were fine to see him go.

TN fans were happy when Friend was fired, and Auburn fans were happy when he was fired. To me that's the worst hire we made. But in my opinion we could have also done better than Bump

Eh, a lot of our fans hated to see Manny leave for Texas, Texas fans was glad he was fired (even though it was the program in total that was a problem), we had who didn't want Manny back then didn't want him to leave again...it's too subjective at times to me when it's really a program issue. Although Hev was a consistent albatross wherever he went...could still coach up an OL pretty dang good.

Dawgface
04-18-2023, 10:01 AM

And what good does it do to complain anyway? Unlikely coaches are looking here for advice.

Really Clark?
04-18-2023, 10:03 AM
The board has to complain about something at all times. The baseball team won so we can't talk about that. Men's and women's basketball did good enough to get a pass on the off-season. New AD hasn't messed up yet. Keenum hasn't had a Fallwell Jr scandal. Football has no on field results to pic apart yet. Spring scrimage has already been discussed. That leaves football recruiting

It's Newtons little known 4th law on motion- "a sports board shall always find something to worry about"

Haha, too true!!

Commercecomet24
04-18-2023, 10:03 AM

LOL, Yeah great post! It's like being a farmer, there's either to much rain or not enough, to much sun or not enough!

Have some rep!

Bothrops
04-18-2023, 10:26 AM
I'm not who you're responding too and I'm not looking up advanced stats. BUT, I look at the fanbases reaction to loosing a coach. Are they sad, happy, or neutral? Utah fans were neutral on Bump. Hands werent great, players didn't develop, and WR recruiting was the same under him vs before.

So, Utah goes to back to back Rose Bowls while Bump was there. Are they saying they did that inspite of a poor wr development and bad hands? They must have been truly exceptional in other areas.

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2023, 10:40 AM
LOL, Yeah great post! It's like being a farmer, there's either to much rain or not enough, to much sun or not enough!

Have some rep!

Great analogy

HancockCountyDog
04-18-2023, 11:05 AM
Looking at the roster, we are going to have to hit the portal on the OL and DL anyway. We have a bunch of covid seniors on the OL and a bunch of experience on the DL as well that will graduate. We may be saving our money for those players, because we are going to need help there.

Also, where it the harm on taking some commits on out of state kids that might blow up after the summer and we have our foot in the door. If they don't pan out, we will tell a kid to look around. There is no downside.

Goldendawg
04-18-2023, 12:19 PM

All five commits to date are offensive players also. MS class is loaded with very good defensive players. Anyone know how we stand with some of them at this point?

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 12:26 PM
All five commits to date are offensive players also. MS class is loaded with very good defensive players. Anyone know how we stand with some of them at this point?

In the game with most of them. How in the game will remain to be seen. Waller seems to be the one we are most out on. I judge this by the fact that Rosebowl and Paul Jones are both trying to diminish him. Usually an OM tactic but I guess they are trying it out for their flock now.

Goldendawg
04-18-2023, 12:36 PM
We also have a first year HC (along with DC and new to us OC). You can't tell me that is not being pointed out by Nick, Hugh, Lane, Brian Kelly, Pittman, Jimbo, and that's just the West. SEC is a meat grinder in more ways than just on the field. Work hard and get our share Hail State!

Tripp McNeely
04-18-2023, 01:23 PM

Dozier is an LB

Goldendawg
04-18-2023, 02:32 PM
Dozier is an LB

My bad. Genespage, 24/7 has him listed as ATH and I forgot article said we were recruiting him as LB.

Jarius
04-18-2023, 03:10 PM
But see that's the problem. The talking points that the media went with was that this staff was going to immediately come in and "lock down the state" because of all their recruiting connections. That was completely false and you could see it from a mile away. These guys were pushed by boosters and Brad Peterson. It's that simple. Doesn't mean their bad coaches or bad recruiters. They're not great recruiters right now, but they may be ok in time. I'm not going to judge position groups in a spring game, although they were underwhelming. The issue that most people, including myself, had was that we knew the reason this staff was hired and it wasn't what was fed to the fanbase. Just have a tad bit of honesty with things. Say we hired Will Friend because he's from Philadelphia and is career line coach in this league who's been on some good staffs. Ala Matt Luke. Just say we hired Chad Bumphis because he played here. If he was just another WR coach at Utah we wouldn't have given him a second look. Now David Turner actually has recruited good players in this state before, a couple of great players. But his best days as a position coach are well behind him. And David will keep us in the game with Beavers and Franklin. Not saying we'll get them, but he'll be able to stay around til the end.

Just an FYI, Cole Cubelic praised our OL play in the spring game on a podcast he did today and one of the announcers of the spring game called Friend one of the best OL coaches in the country.

DownwardDawg
04-18-2023, 03:13 PM
Has there ever been a year when folks weren't concerned about recruiting? I can't remember one and we always wind up with the same #20-30 ranked class. Hey at least we're consistent. The same stories, same rumors and same concerns are voiced on here every year, we could just put them on replay and it'd be the same. I used to get worked up about recruiting but I've passed that stage. Would I like us to have a top 5 class every year? You bet! But I'm also a realist. Zach is not gonna be outworked and we're going to be ok
Except for the 45th and 46th ranked recruiting classes of Dan Mullen that turned into the #1 team in the nation a few years later.

DownwardDawg
04-18-2023, 03:16 PM

Have some rep!

Ha! Awesome!

Commercecomet24
04-18-2023, 03:30 PM
Ha! Awesome!

My Papaw was a farmer and he used to say that all the time, lol! Great memories and experiences growing up with that man! He ran a large farm and was one of Joe Franks first chicken farmers. He didn't do to bad for a man who had to drop out of school as a teenager and go to work during the depression to help his family survive.

KB21
04-18-2023, 05:18 PM
It?s hard to accept the fact that we had an offensive genius who had more of an effect on how offense is played than anyone in the past 25 years, and we now have a numbskull who thinks you have to establish the running game.

Goldendawg
04-18-2023, 05:26 PM
According to article posted on sixpack today, we have signed kicker Ethan Chang from William & Mary, 18 of 24 on FG with a 2022 record of 57 yds long. Only have to get it to the opponents 40 yd line to have a chance to score , KB21!*****. Hail State!

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 05:43 PM
Speaking of numbskull, it's "affect". Surprised you didn't use "except" for accept, but you got that one right. Congrats.

Tripp McNeely
04-18-2023, 05:58 PM
Speaking of numbskull, it's "affect". Surprised you didn't use "except" for accept, but you got that one right. Congrats.

That "numbskull" was actually an academic All-American back in his playing days...he probably knows how to fix the question mark/apostrophe issue on sports message boards as well.

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 06:05 PM
That "numbskull" was actually an academic All-American back in his playing days...he probably knows how to fix the question mark/apostrophe issue on sports message boards as well.

That is annoying isn't it... I mean isn?t it. I?m such a looser.***

Tripp McNeely
04-18-2023, 07:03 PM
That is annoying isn't it... I mean isn?t it. I?m such a looser.***

How do you give somebody "rep" on the mobile site again? ****

...but seriously, how do you? ...asking for a friend

Pancho
04-18-2023, 07:08 PM
It?s hard to accept the fact that we had an offensive genius who had more of an effect on how offense is played than anyone in the past 25 years, and we now have a numbskull who thinks you have to establish the running game.

i suggest you contact CZA and dump your unlimited supply of bull shit opinion right on his head. think of the NIL monies from tickets sales to watch him beat the dawg shit out of you.

Percho
04-18-2023, 07:22 PM

Thanks for a very good post to rebutt the chicken little's.

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 07:47 PM
Thanks for a very good post to rebutt the chicken little's.

Brunswick is good for that. One of the best on this board... which is boosted because he doesn't usually join the melt on the game threads.

And I apologize... I usually laugh at when y'all engage KB/BSails because it just encourages them to keep posting the same rhetoric over and over, but here I am... lolz!

Cowbell
04-18-2023, 07:48 PM
In the game with most of them. How in the game will remain to be seen. Waller seems to be the one we are most out on. I judge this by the fact that Rosebowl and Paul Jones are both trying to diminish him. Usually an OM tactic but I guess they are trying it out for their flock now.
I thought most on this board had come to the realization that Paul and especially Rosie ain't getting no inside info anymore. Remember the OC search???

Cowbell
04-18-2023, 07:52 PM

Ok Crissy....that's enough....

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 07:58 PM
I thought most on this board had come to the realization that Paul and especially Rosie ain't getting no inside info anymore. Remember the OC search???

About as good as the "insiders" on this board. But then again, this site is free, so...

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2023, 08:06 PM

Yea Kirby established that and tanked the UGA program. He lost a game.....in two years. Also strangely enough, guess when the Leach offense worked best. This is gonna blow your mind....it was when we established the F'N RUN.

Turfdawg67
04-18-2023, 08:27 PM
Yea Kirby established that and tanked the UGA program. He lost a game.....in two years. Also strangely enough, guess when the Leach offense worked best. This is gonna blow your mind....it was when we established the F'N RUN.

Umm... are you comparing our future offensive mindset with UGA's?? Lolz... If the genius KSmart came to MSU tomorrow and brought his well bought team and well bought staff, then yeah, that'd be an equal conversation. We've been a "running" team like Bama and Georgia for much of our existence and we've won what??? But hey, I'm on board as usual... guess I'm a glutton.

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2023, 08:50 PM

And Kirby still doesn’t run enough to satisfy the UGA faithful. They all pine for the days of RTDB and having multiple 1000 yard backs.

KB21
04-18-2023, 08:56 PM
Georgia throws the ball to build a lead and runs late.

Cowbell
04-18-2023, 09:16 PM

Must be why they have Tight Ends**

KB21
04-18-2023, 09:40 PM
Those Brock Bowers types are easy to find.

99jc
04-18-2023, 10:06 PM

then go root for them you rebel cocksucking idiot!

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 10:24 PM

Bet you thought teddy knox was a great get huh??

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 10:26 PM

Look dude, nobody wanted CML to die. But his offense wasn't taking us anywhere. And he was a terrible recruiter. Fact

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 10:29 PM

Right ....

msu15
04-18-2023, 10:40 PM

I love how you totally ignored Clark proving you wrong that Utah had a better passing offense than we did.

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 10:48 PM
I love how you totally ignored Clark proving you wrong that Utah had a better passing offense than we did.

That's what he does. He talks until you have point that make him shut up and he ignores it. And I didn't even see what you were talking about but I've seen it before. Often

KB21
04-18-2023, 10:55 PM
That's what he does. He talks until you have point that make him shut up and he ignores it. And I didn't even see what you were talking about but I've seen it before. Often

I haven?t been proven wrong on anything. In fact, seeing how much this offense struggled in the spring game should send up red flags.

Mike Leach would have had this offense in the top 15-20 just like he had at both Texas Tech and Washington State. Some are going to continue to fabricate lies about his coaching like what you said above.

Go on thinking that a pro style system that force feeds the running game is better for this team.

Jarius
04-18-2023, 11:04 PM
I’ve never seen someone so upset about a team getting away from an offense that ranked near the bottom of the conference every single year we ran it at Mississippi State. This bit is getting old.

Todd4State
04-19-2023, 12:03 AM
Umm... are you comparing our future offensive mindset with UGA's?? Lolz... If the genius KSmart came to MSU tomorrow and brought his well bought team and well bought staff, then yeah, that'd be an equal conversation. We've been a "running" team like Bama and Georgia for much of our existence and we've won what??? But hey, I'm on board as usual... guess I'm a glutton.

We did try to hire Mike Bobo.**

MoreCowbell
04-19-2023, 12:28 AM

This is the real reason. It befuddles me when people act like this is not the cause of our recruitment troubles.

Pancho
04-19-2023, 06:34 AM
I still think selling tickets to raise NIL money with a KB21 vs CZA sit down would be immensely popular.

YazooDawg23
04-19-2023, 09:01 AM
I haven?t been proven wrong on anything. In fact, seeing how much this offense struggled in the spring game should send up red flags.

Mike Leach would have had this offense in the top 15-20 just like he had at both Texas Tech and Washington State. Some are going to continue to fabricate lies about his coaching like what you said above.

Go on thinking that a pro style system that force feeds the running game is better for this team.

The stats don't lie sweetheart. We will all miss Mike Leach. He invented the wheel and then everyone else went and invented cars while we were still using a cupboard wagon.

But I love how you'll use the argument that we would have been top 20 this year where that will never be provable so you'll just scream it to high heavens.

StarkVegasSteve
04-19-2023, 10:29 AM
I still think selling tickets to raise NIL money with a KB21 vs CZA sit down would be immensely popular.

I say we offer all members of all boards the opportunity to pay $50 and every donation puts KB on the hot corner and Dakota gets 5 swings at him?.oh and he has no glove. We would raise millions

Hell at this point I would make a one time donation to the BI on top of my monthly donation just so he will leave our fan base

Pancho
04-19-2023, 10:34 AM
he is a closet racist, shark weak fanboy

HancockCountyDog
04-19-2023, 10:37 AM

I mean claiming that he would have had us as a top 20 offense in the country when in 2022:

8th in the SEC in yards per game and 8th in points per game

In 2021

7th in the SEC in yards per game and 10th in points per game

in 2020

12th in the SEC in yards per game and 13th in points per game.

Claiming that he would have us 15-20 in year 4 with zero evidence at our school to prove it is kind of silly. Look you can like Coach Leach (I'm not sure of anyone that didn't like CML) and think that his offense wasn't really working. That is an ok opinion. You are not disrespecting his legacy.

To be clear MSU's defense was 5th in 2022, 4th in 2021 and 5th in 2020 in yds per game given up. It is hard to argue that Leach's offense carried the day based on stats. Its also hard to argue it if you had eyes and were objective.

KB21
04-19-2023, 10:50 AM
The stats don't lie sweetheart. We will all miss Mike Leach. He invented the wheel and then everyone else went and invented cars while we were still using a cupboard wagon.

But I love how you'll use the argument that we would have been top 20 this year where that will never be provable so you'll just scream it to high heavens.

You are right. The stats done lie. Mike took Washington State from the 108th best scoring offense in 2012 to being top 20 in three of his last four years there. In 2019, Washington State had the 11th best scoring offense in the country. He had Mississippi State on the same trend. 109th in 2020, 60 in 21, 43 in 22.

I have no doubts that had we promoted Drew or hired Ben Arbuckle that the trend would have continued. With Barbay, we will take a massive step backwards.

StarkVegasSteve
04-19-2023, 11:00 AM
You are right. The stats done lie. Mike took Washington State from the 108th best scoring offense in 2012 to being top 20 in three of his last four years there. In 2019, Washington State had the 11th best scoring offense in the country. He had Mississippi State on the same trend. 109th in 2020, 60 in 21, 43 in 22.

I have no doubts that had we promoted Drew or hired Ben Arbuckle that the trend would have continued. With Barbay, we will take a massive step backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVdybPfBag

TrapGame
04-19-2023, 11:17 AM

Dude, seriously, quit being a dick.

MoreCowbell
04-19-2023, 12:16 PM
I say we offer all members of all boards the opportunity to pay $50 and every donation puts KB on the hot corner and Dakota gets 5 swings at him?.oh and he has no glove. We would raise millions

Hell at this point I would make a one time donation to the BI on top of my monthly donation just so he will leave our fan base

Yeah, we are gonna have to be inventive/smart about how we do the NIL thing or we will be middle to lower tier SEC program in every sport

MoreCowbell
04-19-2023, 12:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTVdybPfBag

Unfortunately Leach passed. Arnett is our coach. Move on

BorneDawg
04-19-2023, 02:26 PM

You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

BorneDawg
04-19-2023, 02:29 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to StarkVegasSteve again.

Lord McBuckethead
04-20-2023, 07:44 AM
Maybe we should have kept Matt Dudek. Do we even have someone in that role?

RockyDog
04-20-2023, 11:25 AM

So Rogers and the no separation receivers were just going to magically improve from a top 75 offense to top 20 because it was Mike Leach year 4?

Really Clark?
04-20-2023, 12:15 PM
So Rogers and the no separation receivers were just going to magically improve from a top 75 offense to top 20 because it was Mike Leach year 4?

Not necessarily, it was year 5 at WSU before it jumped above around 50th. It wasn't a straight progression it was a jump after first year then 3 years of about middle little above middle nationally then a jump up to Top 20 back down to around 50th then Top 20 his last 2 years.