PDA

View Full Version : How many should we get at Auburn......

SpaceBully
04-16-2023, 08:32 PM
Of course, I hope we sweep, but Auburn, in my mind is a lot like Ole Miss. I really hope we can at least get 2, but playing at their house will be tougher. Got to make hay while we can, cause it gets much more difficult in the near future.

Homedawg
04-16-2023, 08:37 PM
Hope to get two. This is a tough league. Never ever easy.

MetEdDawg
04-16-2023, 08:37 PM
We have to have 2. No other choice if we want a realistic shot at 14 conference wins. Need 9 over our last 15 conference games. That starts with at least 2 in Auburn.

Realistically in our last 5 series to get to 9 more wins we need 2 from Auburn, 2 from Tennessee, then have to find 5 against LSU, Arkansas, and TAMU. Tough ask for sure but there's hope.

PGHBulldogBG
04-16-2023, 09:15 PM
Need 3 if we want a chance. After Auburn we have at best a 3-6 stretch with lsu UT and Ark. 8-10 then got to get to 11-16 and then sweep aTm. It’s our only chance for post season to get to 14-16 in this league

BeardoMSU
04-16-2023, 09:36 PM
We have to have 2. No other choice if we want a realistic shot at 14 conference wins. Need 9 over our last 15 conference games. That starts with at least 2 in Auburn.

Realistically in our last 5 series to get to 9 more wins we need 2 from Auburn, 2 from Tennessee, then have to find 5 against LSU, Arkansas, and TAMU. Tough ask for sure but there's hope.

We really dug a hole...

basedog
04-16-2023, 09:41 PM
The Auburn series will be very competitive series. I just hope we play our best ball, I think Auburn is better than last place Ole Dixie squad.
Their ace has been out and I’m hoping he will be this weekend.

StarkVegasSteve
04-16-2023, 09:43 PM
We really dug a hole...

Yep. The Friday night loss at UK, the Thursday night loss to USCe, and Friday against OM. You flip the results on those games and our season is looking COMPLETELY different. We go from talking about what we have to do to have a chance to make the tournament to figuring out what we have to do to host.

Also this weekend proved what I have said since the new stadium was built. It is different. Our goal every year at minimum needs to be find a way to host. Because we will at minimum be in a super almost every year. Our stadium is the toughest to play at in college baseball if you are the visiting team. The noise level is something no one can replicate outside of Omaha.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-16-2023, 09:44 PM
Need 3 if we want a chance. After Auburn we have at best a 3-6 stretch with lsu UT and Ark. 8-10 then got to get to 11-16 and then sweep aTm. It’s our only chance for post season to get to 14-16 in this league

I don’t think we absolutely have to have 14 league wins to make the postseason. Our RPI can be high with 12 or 13 wins. As of right now, Missouri, Tennessee, and us are all on pace for only 10 SEC wins. All three of us are currently in the top 25 in RPI.

AlSwearengen
04-16-2023, 09:49 PM
I can’t see us getting to 13 wins. Our best hope is to make it to Hoover and then win our way in there. We are showing signs of life and getting some pitchers back helps but the hole is too deep and the league and schedule are brutal.

Quaoarsking
04-16-2023, 10:44 PM

Tennessee is 5-10 just like us. I wouldn't lump them in with Arkansas and LSU.

Commercecomet24
04-16-2023, 11:05 PM

Yeah people are going off what ut did last year. They're not the same team this year and have been struggling mightily if you've watched them play.

Todd4State
04-17-2023, 12:13 AM
With it being on the road- we need to get 2/3. Of course this will be a big series for Auburn with Butch and Cohen.

They're still building their program back into what it used to be.

Their ballpark is a launching pad. Dakota and Hines are going to have fun this weekend.

Same fear as always with Foxhall and his poor pitching staff management which is why we're on the bubble and not talking about hosting a regional right now. It's pretty amazing we're where we are right now with a team ERA over 6.

Todd4State
04-17-2023, 12:17 AM
I can’t see us getting to 13 wins. Our best hope is to make it to Hoover and then win our way in there. We are showing signs of life and getting some pitchers back helps but the hole is too deep and the league and schedule are brutal.

It's going to be tough to go 8-7. But it's doable. And I think 12 gets us in so really 7-8.

Auburn and Tennessee are on the road which makes it tougher. Arkansas is going to play us hard in Starkville because they hate our ass. I think we win the series over A&M. LSU is tough as well and that will be in Baton Rouge although we seem to play them pretty well there.

somebodyshotmypaw
04-17-2023, 06:39 AM

Tennessee is 5-13 in Q1 and Q2 games. We are 12-13.

mparkerfd20
04-17-2023, 11:22 AM
I don't think the bar is as high as previous seasons to get in NCAA tournament. I may be wrong but hope not. There is a log jam of 5-6 win SEC teams right now. I think making it to Hoover with a high RPI can get us in the big field as a 2 or at worst 3 seed. We are currently 9th in the SEC which is safely in Hoover. Things can quickly change, however. If by some chance 11 or 12 SEC wins gets into Hoover with a <30 RPI I think you have a good chance to get into NCAA field especially with a win or 2 in the SEC tournament.

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2023, 01:14 AM
Of course, I hope we sweep, but Auburn, in my mind is a lot like Ole Miss. I really hope we can at least get 2, but playing at their house will be tougher. Got to make hay while we can, cause it gets much more difficult in the near future.

Need 2 wins.

Or you need 2 from Tennessee, LSU or Arkansas. It's just math at this point.

At Auburn 7-11 (+2)
At Tennessee 8-13 (+1)
Arkansas 9-15 (+1)
At LSU 9-18 (0)
Texas A&M 11-19 (+2)

11 wins gets Hoover, 9th or 10th place in the Conference and a regional. So not getting 2 Vs Auburn means must getting those wins Vs Tenn, Ark, or LSU

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2023, 01:16 AM
Tennessee is 5-13 in Q1 and Q2 games. We are 12-13.

Tennessee is not a machine this year. I got MSU winning 1 game.

Really Clark?
04-18-2023, 06:42 AM
Need 2 wins.

Or you need 2 from Tennessee, LSU or Arkansas. It's just math at this point.

At Auburn 7-11 (+2)
At Tennessee 8-13 (+1)
Arkansas 9-15 (+1)
At LSU 9-18 (0)
Texas A&M 11-19 (+2)

11 wins gets Hoover, 9th or 10th place in the Conference and a regional. So not getting 2 Vs Auburn means must getting those wins Vs Tenn, Ark, or LSU

I don't think 11 wins is enough to make a regional.

KOdawg1
04-18-2023, 07:31 AM
We need to sweep to feel good about the postseason.

But it's on the road in the SEC so that'll be difficult. Have to take 2 out of 3 though

Leroy Jenkins
04-18-2023, 08:19 AM
We are better than AU in nearly every offensive and pitching category, and they walk nearly as many people as we have........ Defensively? woof.

https://assets.espn.go.com/sec/baseball/2023/lgteams.htm

BrunswickDawg
04-18-2023, 08:28 AM
We need to sweep to feel good about the postseason.

But it's on the road in the SEC so that'll be difficult. Have to take 2 out of 3 though

2 of 3 is definitely doable, even a sweep. Auburn just isn't an intimidating place to play. In our last 3 trips there we are 7-2. In the Butch Thompson era overall we are 12-6 with only 2 series losses. we even took 2 of 3 against last year's CWS team.

viverlibre
04-18-2023, 08:32 AM
We need to take two from the barn and and T5-7, one each from Corndogs, UT and Ark and win a game or two in the SEC tourney and we are a regional road team. The path is clear and very obtainable.

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2023, 11:11 AM
I don't think 11 wins is enough to make a regional.

If the season ended today. Would Tennessee be in or out? They only have 5 wins.

I think the SEC gets a minimum of 10 teams. The top 10 RPIs get in, is my view. That seems to hold historically.

Not a lot of great records after the top-6 SEC teams.

By RPI
7- Alabama 6-9
8- Tennessee 5-10
9- Miss State 5-10
10- Missouri 5-10
11- UGA 4-11
12- Auburn 5-10
13- TAMMies 7-8

DawgFromOxford
04-18-2023, 11:31 AM
Find a way to win 3 series and not get swept in the other 2. Simple as that

Really Clark?
04-18-2023, 11:34 AM
If the season ended today. Would Tennessee be in or out? They only have 5 wins.

I think the SEC gets a minimum of 10 teams. The top 10 RPIs get in, is my view. That seems to hold historically.

Not a lot of great records after the top-6 SEC teams.

By RPI
7- Alabama 6-9
8- Tennessee 5-10
9- Miss State 5-10
10- Missouri 5-10
11- UGA 4-11
12- Auburn 5-10
13- TAMMies 7-8

How many 11 win teams have gotten into regional play from the SEC?

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2023, 03:08 PM
How many 11 win teams have gotten into regional play from the SEC?

Never before is the answer. But also, the SEC has never had so few teams with good-decent records.

That makes this season different, due to good RPIs and poor records.

I don't see MSU getting 13 wins and could easily win just 10 SEC games. I think 10 wins is too low for a regional, for sure.

The final series versus the Tammies will be huge. Two schools fighting for the post season and maybe two coaches fighting for their careers.

viverlibre
04-18-2023, 03:29 PM
Never before is the answer. But also, the SEC has never had so few teams with good-decent records.

That makes this season different, due to good RPIs and poor records.

I don't see MSU getting 13 wins and could easily win just 10 SEC games. I think 10 wins is too low for a regional, for sure.

The final series versus the Tammies will be huge. Two schools fighting for the post season and maybe two coaches fighting for their careers.

I think Lemon juice has solidified his future for next season.

Captain Falcon
04-18-2023, 03:29 PM
Gotta have two, all three would be awesome. We are going to have to over-perform expectations at least one weekend before it?s over, that means either sweeping somebody or winning a series we aren?t expecting to.

Auburn is the worst SEC team we will play the rest of the year and we have fared well in that park over the years. 10-2 in that stadium since 2014. Need to do it again this weekend. I expect us to hit their pitching pretty well, but they are a solid hitting team too, so we can?t give them a bunch of freebies.

The Federalist Engineer
04-18-2023, 04:38 PM
Gotta have two, all three would be awesome. We are going to have to over-perform expectations at least one weekend before it?s over, that means either sweeping somebody or winning a series we aren?t expecting to.

Auburn is the worst SEC team we will play the rest of the year and we have fared well in that park over the years. 10-2 in that stadium since 2014. Need to do it again this weekend. I expect us to hit their pitching pretty well, but they are a solid hitting team too, so we can?t give them a bunch of freebies.

Would be nice to win 2 on Tennessee. UT ends the season with a 9 hard games and they would not consider MSU hard: Vandy, MSU, UGA, UK, and USCe. They are planning on 8 wins. Finish 13-17 unless MSU makes them 11-19. MSU could be their trap series.

Lots will happen in the month of April and May. Someone big is going to be swept, like Uk falling apart would not be good for MSU.

Alabama has: Mizzou, LSU, Vandy, Tam, OM. That's 6 wins to 12-18 but if they lose the Mizzou series, they are in trouble

Auburn has: MSU, USCe, LSU, OM, Mizzou. Seems like the easiest schedule for the bottom dwellers. They are thinking 7 wins to 12-18. That depends on 2 from MSU.

TAM has: uK, Ark, UF, Alabama, and MSU. That 6 wins to 13-17. They need 2 from MSU. In the final series, MSU could enter 9-18 and TAM 10-17. That would be a wild weekend. But they will probably be 11-16 heading into vegas.

bulldogcountry1
04-18-2023, 07:42 PM
The bigger question I have is how many LH starters do we face the rest of the year?

State82
04-18-2023, 08:19 PM

There is a good chance 10 will not get us to Hoover. It didn't last year for Mizzou.

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 08:31 PM
The bigger question I have is how many LH starters do we face the rest of the year?

Last I looked our avg agaisnt lhp was higher than rhp.

Captain Falcon
04-18-2023, 08:57 PM
Would be nice to win 2 on Tennessee. UT ends the season with a 9 hard games and they would not consider MSU hard: Vandy, MSU, UGA, UK, and USCe. They are planning on 8 wins. Finish 13-17 unless MSU makes them 11-19. MSU could be their trap series.

Lots will happen in the month of April and May. Someone big is going to be swept, like Uk falling apart would not be good for MSU.

Alabama has: Mizzou, LSU, Vandy, Tam, OM. That's 6 wins to 12-18 but if they lose the Mizzou series, they are in trouble

Auburn has: MSU, USCe, LSU, OM, Mizzou. Seems like the easiest schedule for the bottom dwellers. They are thinking 7 wins to 12-18. That depends on 2 from MSU.

TAM has: uK, Ark, UF, Alabama, and MSU. That 6 wins to 13-17. They need 2 from MSU. In the final series, MSU could enter 9-18 and TAM 10-17. That would be a wild weekend. But they will probably be 11-16 heading into vegas.

What concerns me about Tennessee is that they are a wounded animal, and they still have to play Vandy this weekend, so who knows how desperate they will be when we come to town. They have underperformed but this is still a very talented team with Dollander, Burns, and Beam to contend with. They are not what they were offensively last year, but they?re not bad.

Certainly have to start with beating Auburn, though.

Homedawg
04-18-2023, 10:19 PM
What concerns me about Tennessee is that they are a wounded animal, and they still have to play Vandy this weekend, so who knows how desperate they will be when we come to town. They have underperformed but this is still a very talented team with Dollander, Burns, and Beam to contend with. They are not what they were offensively last year, but they?re not bad.

Certainly have to start with beating Auburn, though.
Baseball isn't a game of emotion as a rule. The ones that get wound up, usually fail. I get tickled by saying we aren't playing w emotion. Hell, it's hard to show emotion when you're down 7-0 or 9-2. Emotion is shown is baseball after a big play defensively, when the game is close. Or after a big hit. Our opportunities have been limited. But anyhow, emotion is overplayed...... the whole point is three are talented, the wounded animal part is meh.

Commercecomet24
04-18-2023, 10:59 PM
Baseball isn't a game of emotion as a rule. The ones that get wound up, usually fail. I get tickled by saying we aren't playing w emotion. Hell, it's hard to show emotion when you're down 7-0 or 9-2. Emotion is shown is baseball after a big play defensively, when the game is close. Or after a big hit. Our opportunities have been limited. But anyhow, emotion is overplayed...... the whole point is three are talented, the wounded animal part is meh.

100% right on all!

Todd4State
04-19-2023, 12:05 AM

I think that's what happened to us against Ole Miss on Friday and it caused us to be too aggressive and overswing.

maroonmania
04-19-2023, 07:02 AM
We need to sweep but I don't think that is very realistic on the road. We just aren't good enough to expect that right now. We were very fortunate to win 2 of 3 from a last place OM team at home. We pulled the Sat game out of the fire and who knows what happens Sun if Mershon doesn't pull off that double play in the 7th. We really have to get 2 this weekend though to keep postseason hope alive.

Captain Falcon
04-19-2023, 10:37 AM

That?s a fair point, I guess my thinking is more along the lines of they are too talented, especially on the mound, to suck all season, and you worry that the turnaround starts when or just before we come to town.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2023, 10:53 AM
I think that's what happened to us against Ole Miss on Friday and it caused us to be too aggressive and overswing.

Yeah we seemed to be a little to amped up. I know this is gonna sound strange but baseball and boxing(if you've ever boxed you know what i mean) are quite similar. If you let your emotions control you, you will lose consistently. Showing emotion after something good happens and playing with emotion are 2 different things. Baseball is more cerebral, like chess and you have to think clearly in order to be succesful and playing with your emotions on your sleeve will cause you to fail more often than not. Now celebrating a great defensive play, a big clutch hit or big strikeout is awesome! I played hard and coached hard and was very intense, but that has to be balanced with keeping a cool head under pressure. jmo

Leroy Jenkins
04-20-2023, 06:54 AM

AU will probably go L-L-L this weekend. That's what Gautreau said he was preparing for.