PDA

View Full Version : So this doesnt get lost- one thing to remember

Coach34
11-30-2013, 12:43 PM
Look at Mullen's tenure:

Odd number seasons (09,11, 2013) when the schedule is against us- Bama and LSU home/marginal games on road- we have won 5, 6, 6

Even number seasons when schedule flips (2010, 2012)- Bama/LSU on road/marginal games at home- we have won 8 and 8 while going 4-4 in the SEC both times

Next year is even numbered season

Schedule does matter- and not just for us. But we didnt play 4 patsies in 2013 and still made a bowl. One of only 6 SEC teams to make it 4 straight bowls.

With 17 starters returning, toss-up games at home, and alot of depth- the expectations and ceiling raises for 2014. No reason at all to not be excited about it and where the program is.

HoopsDawg
11-30-2013, 01:01 PM
For sure. I love playing Bama and LSU on the road.

We have the potential for a special season next year if Mullen will make some of the changes we have discussed.

We can start with bowl practices. Go ahead and move Cox to FS. I heard Whitley will miss the bowl to recover from surgery and get ready for the combine.

Coach34
11-30-2013, 01:12 PM
I agree on Cox

SignalToNoise
11-30-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm going to sternly judge the coaching staff by next year's performance. I know some people take the stance that 6 wins and a bowl game is all it takes, but next year sets up to be a year that we can do way better than that. 9 wins is possible, but I guess that hinges on Dak staying healthy.

Coach34
11-30-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm going to sternly judge the coaching staff by next year's performance. I know some people take the stance that 6 wins and a bowl game is all it takes, but next year sets up to be a year that we can do way better than that. 9 wins is possible, but I guess that hinges on Dak staying healthy.

Williams is a solid back-up. Add in Staley or Fitz as the 3rd QB and we have good depth there.

Anything less than 8 win next year will be disappointing unless we have a crazy amount of injuries to the OL- because we have good depth everywhere else

messageboardsuperhero
11-30-2013, 01:25 PM
I expect 8 regular season wins next year- more is gravy and less is a disappointment.

SignalToNoise
11-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Y'all will have to remind me. Will Jay Hughes have any eligibility left for next year?

Coach34
11-30-2013, 01:36 PM
Y'all will have to remind me. Will Jay Hughes have any eligibility left for next year?

yes- and a full year to rehab.

Diggs
11-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Who are the other 5 teams? Just curious.

Going to take a stab: Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tenn, and USC?

Coach34
11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
Who are the other 5 teams? Just curious.

Going to take a stab: Bama, Georgia, LSU, Tenn, and USC?

Bama, LSU, A&M, SC, and Georgia

Coach 57
11-30-2013, 01:54 PM
Signal, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with you hold this next year under the microscope! I have said it ALL year if you want to judge Mullen do so this NEXT YEAR! It will be a QB that HE recruited, coached up, bred for success or failure. All these players will be HIS players! 6 yrs in he MUST perform WELL! Anything less than 8-9 wins is NOT good! So I tell you & all state fans NOW let's judge him! Let's go!

cheewgumm
11-30-2013, 02:07 PM
There has been an argument for 3 months on here that we are State and have a history of losing and should not expect more. NOW, it's ok to judge?

Do we then turn off the judging in 2015, becuase oiur schedule gets hard again?

Signal, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with you hold this next year under the microscope! I have said it ALL year if you want to judge Mullen do so this NEXT YEAR! It will be a QB that HE recruited, coached up, bred for success or failure. All these players will be HIS players! 6 yrs in he MUST perform WELL! Anything less than 8-9 wins is NOT good! So I tell you & all state fans NOW let's judge him! Let's go!

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Williams is a solid back-up. Add in Staley or Fitz as the 3rd QB and we have good depth there.

Anything less than 8 win next year will be disappointing unless we have a crazy amount of injuries to the OL- because we have good depth everywhere else

I try my best to pay no attention to recruiting until we actually have them signed but are we going to get any Juco OL? Who takes over Siddoway and Gabe's spot? Just curious what the OL will look like next year because everybody else should be back besides Tyler and Perk.

Clausell, Malone, Day, Clayborne, Robinson? Unless Beckwith keeps his spot but I can't imagine Clayborne not beating him out after another year.

RougeDawg
11-30-2013, 03:10 PM
I will admit, the last month has changed my outlook on next year. We competes and played hard for 60 minutes the last 3-5 games. We were not seeing this early in the season and that's whyost of us said a change was needed either coaching or the mentality of the team and coaches. We saw the latter and it was refreshing. The way the team never gave up over the last month, tells me a lot and all I need to know about Mullen still having the team. The team never let down, even when we missed some crucial FG's, like they had done early in the season. Maybe being young effected them early on and they learned from it. The team did some things the last 2 weeks that they haven't done in a while. Prior to last week, we were 0-33 I'm games where we were trailing going into the 4th quarter, and we won 2 in a row after trailing through 3.

Going into next year I fully expect 8 wins minimum, with an easy possibility of 9-10 wins. The toughest gAmes we have are Bama, LSU, A&M, and Auburn, 2 of which are at home. I don't expect OM to have a great season as the shine is wearing off and teams have focused out how to stop them (what I've been saying all year. Cover the flats and force them to throw downfield.) the two that are long shots are Bama and LSU. LSU becUse of our history, not their returning team. Lsu will have some key players on offense leaving.

Here's to hoping we finish out the season on a higher note, and recruiting follows suit.

Coach34
11-30-2013, 03:28 PM
I think one thing people misunderstood earlier in the year was having to play alot of young guys. Young players get confused- certain things arent 2nd nature to them- and they are hesitant. Those moments of hesitation cause them to look shitty or like they arent playing as hard as they should. The more of those reps they get and experience- less hesitation.

Our team got better all year- start to finish. That's a good sign and something to build on for next year.

RougeDawg
11-30-2013, 03:34 PM
I think one thing people misunderstood earlier in the year was having to play alot of young guys. Young players get confused- certain things arent 2nd nature to them- and they are hesitant. Those moments of hesitation cause them to look shitty or like they arent playing as hard as they should. The more of those reps they get and experience- less hesitation.

Our team got better all year- start to finish. That's a good sign and something to build on for next year.

Yes. Great sign.

What are the chances special teams are addressed? Getting a designated coach and getting a conpetent FG kicker? No way we can win double digit games next year with our current situation on special teams. They are the key to winning the games against the Bama's and Lsu's going forward. We have the offense and defense to bear anyone, but short fields and missed FG's.

Coach34
11-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Nobody knows the answer to that question right now- but hopefully Mullen is questioned on it and it gets addressed

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 03:56 PM
yes- and a full year to rehab.

Wait, I thought Hughes was a Junior this year.....will he not get a medical redshirt plus his Senior year? He should have 2 more years remaining unless I'm missing something

Coach34
11-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Wait, I thought Hughes was a Junior this year.....will he not get a medical redshirt plus his Senior year? He should have 2 more years remaining unless I'm missing something

He'll have to apply for a 6th year- but should get it if he wants it

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 04:04 PM
He'll have to apply for a 6th year- but should get it if he wants it

Ok, that's what I thought. Hopefully he does.

Sacrifice
11-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Ok this may have been discussed before but I might have missed it but Matt wells being 6'2 215lb I doubt he gets drafted as an NFL LB unless he can put on about 20-25 lbs. If he truly is our fastest player and with the depth we have at LB why not move him to safety? I think if he gets drafted that's probably where he'll play anyway..