PDA

View Full Version : Think about it...

BeastMan
11-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Earlier in the year folks were all frustrated b/c we were seeing what we perceive as a "down year". MSU about to be in it's 4th straight bowl game and with what we have returning and next year's schedule, 5 straight is likely. I won't speculate past that. MSU, as a program, is now at the point where a "down year" is a lower tier bowl. Never in our history gentlemen.

My expectations and theory is that MSU needs to scratch and claw and win 6-7 regular season games a year and stay within "striking distance". Every few years (4-5) when the stars align, may that be scheduling, a really good player, or other top teams being "down", MSU can jump up and get 8-10 regular season wins. Hope that is good enough to get you to Atlanta. It really looks like Mullen has MSU at the point where he can hold that 6-7 baseline. If you are a rational football fan that understands MSU's history and the landscape of the SEC, there is no way that shouldn't excite you.

CooterDavenport
11-30-2013, 12:01 PM
I agree with all that. But your subject line makes me want to post this:

http://youtu.be/EmLHOGT0v4c

PassInterference
11-30-2013, 12:08 PM
6 wins should be our floor. I am happy with how the team finally came together at the end of the season. Wish we'd have won a couple more of course.

I don't think the stars have to align for us to win 8-10. Especially 8. We won't win 8 every year, but we can on a reasonably regular basis.

I do think the stars need to align for us to win the SEC West.

maroonmania
11-30-2013, 12:20 PM
6 wins should be our floor. I am happy with how the team finally came together at the end of the season. Wish we'd have won a couple more of course.

I don't think the stars have to align for us to win 8-10. Especially 8. We won't win 8 every year, but we can on a reasonably regular basis.

I do think the stars need to align for us to win the SEC West.

Exactly, would hope 7-8 could be the norm with 9 to 10 being the good years. Heck, we could have had 7 even with this "down" year if we hadn't scheduled a Top 10 BCS school OOC.

BeastMan
11-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Exactly, would hope 7-8 could be the norm with 9 to 10 being the good years. Heck, we could have had 7 even with this "down" year if we hadn't scheduled a Top 10 BCS school OOC.

The line b/t 6-8 is razor thin. If we make 1 more play we beat Auburn. Play with a pulse vs OSU or play a lesser OOC opponent and we're at 8 this year. Ultimately what I'm saying is 6 or 7 being the baseline and we look to be there now since we're doing it consistently. Get a few breaks and get to 8,9,10. That's really all you can hope for. Use Auburn as an opposite measuring stick. They are 10-1 but have gotten more than a few breaks. They could easily be 7-3 and maybe even 6-4 right now if they had bad luck. Regardless, they have gotten some bounces and now have a chance to get to Atlanta. That's really all you can hope for in the SEC west.

maroonmania
11-30-2013, 12:31 PM
The line b/t 6-8 is razor thin. If we make 1 more play we beat Auburn. Play with a pulse vs OSU or play a lesser OOC opponent and we're at 8 this year. Ultimately what I'm saying is 6 or 7 being the baseline and we look to be there now since we're doing it consistently. Get a few breaks and get to 8,9,10. That's really all you can hope for. Use Auburn as an opposite measuring stick. They are 10-1 but have gotten more than a few breaks. They could easily be 7-3 and maybe even 6-4 right now if they had bad luck. Regardless, they have gotten some bounces and now have a chance to get to Atlanta. That's really all you can hope for in the SEC west.

I'll disagree just a little in that this year was a TRUE 6 win year. Yes we lost the Auburn game at the end but my word, we had a 1 point win, a 6 point win, and TWO OT wins. I think we had a lot more good breaks this year than bad when it came to close games and were probably much closer to going 4-8 than 8-4.

Bubb Rubb
11-30-2013, 12:53 PM
I'll disagree just a little in that this year was a TRUE 6 win year. Yes we lost the Auburn game at the end but my word, we had a 1 point win, a 6 point win, and TWO OT wins. I think we had a lot more good breaks this year than bad when it came to close games and were probably much closer to going 4-8 than 8-4.

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about the Egg Bowl win, and I'm very proud of the fact that this year's senior class will have gone to four straight bowls. But that said, I'm still disappointed in the season. We should've beaten Auburn. We should've been better against OSU. We had chances against Alabama, LSU, and South Carolina but didn't take advantage of them. I've never been on the fire Dan bandwagon; I'm a supporter for the most part. But we have GOT to get better in some key areas...we need to be more aggressive with our playcalling, we need to be able to convert in the kicking game, we need to play with that "relentless effort" he's always talking about. I've always said that it's less about the record and more about how we looked in those games, and we looked really bad at times this year. While I think we can win 8 games next year, we are going to have to fix some of these things to make that happen.

maroonmania
11-30-2013, 01:24 PM
I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic about the Egg Bowl win, and I'm very proud of the fact that this year's senior class will have gone to four straight bowls. But that said, I'm still disappointed in the season. We should've beaten Auburn. We should've been better against OSU. We had chances against Alabama, LSU, and South Carolina but didn't take advantage of them. I've never been on the fire Dan bandwagon; I'm a supporter for the most part. But we have GOT to get better in some key areas...we need to be more aggressive with our playcalling, we need to be able to convert in the kicking game, we need to play with that "relentless effort" he's always talking about. I've always said that it's less about the record and more about how we looked in those games, and we looked really bad at times this year. While I think we can win 8 games next year, we are going to have to fix some of these things to make that happen.

OK, I'm with you on what you are saying but don't see how that disagrees in any way with my post you quoted. No doubt that this year we were, for the most part, closer to losing to a bad team than we were to beating any really good teams.