PDA

View Full Version : Is today THE DAY for Lemonis?

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2023, 10:52 AM
I'll get others thoughts but I really believe it is. If he loses today I don't believe anything he could do from here on out, short of going on the run of all runs, would save his job.

Tater
04-15-2023, 11:13 AM
For how the Mississippi State money operates, it is. We kept Moorhead an extra month because of an Egg Bowl win.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2023, 11:20 AM
For how the Mississippi State money operates, it is. We kept Moorhead an extra month because of an Egg Bowl win.

Yea I still think needs to go at the end of the season if we miss the tournament. But you are correct, if we win this series that'll be enough for most people to keep him an additional year.

R2Dawg
04-15-2023, 11:23 AM
Yea I still think needs to go at the end of the season if we miss the tournament. But you are correct, if we win this series that'll be enough for most people to keep him an additional year.

Missing post season two years in a row is worse than losing a series to OM once in 5 years but if he can't beat this OM team then stick a fork in him.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2023, 11:28 AM
Missing post season two years in a row is worse than losing a series to OM once in 5 years but if he can't beat this OM team then stick a fork in him.

Exactly. Also, our hopes of even making the SEC tournament take a MASSIVE hit if he loses today. That would put us coming out of this weekend at no better than 4-11 in conference play. Meaning we would probably need to get at minimum 6-7 more SEC wins to get to Hoover and I don't see that happening in our last 15.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-15-2023, 11:40 AM
He has to win series and make it to Hoover to keep his job. Too much money is spent on Baseball for mediocre results.

EdwardDrayton
04-15-2023, 12:49 PM
I'll get others thoughts but I really believe it is. If he loses today I don't believe anything he could do from here on out, short of going on the run of all runs, would save his job.

Agree

Leroy Jenkins
04-15-2023, 01:42 PM
He has to win series and make it to Hoover to keep his job. Too much money is spent on Baseball for mediocre results.

Mediocre? Mediocre would be a huge improvement right now.

CaptainObvious
04-15-2023, 01:43 PM
Notice that in Selmon?s interview by Hutson Mason, baseball was the last thing he brought up. And of course he tried to put a positive spin in it by saying there is time to get it together this year. But his positives were definitely in the lesser spring sports of golf, softball, etc?

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2023, 01:44 PM

Settling for this series win and making it to Hoover as reasons to keep Lemonis is accepting mediocrity but I have zero doubts that is exactly what we would do if he does that.

EdwardDrayton
04-15-2023, 01:53 PM
Notice that in Selmon?s interview by Hutson Mason, baseball was the last thing he brought up. And of course he tried to put a positive spin in it by saying there is time to get it together this year. But his positives were definitely in the lesser spring sports of golf, softball, etc?

Thought Zac handled that very deftly. Clearly he is not satisfied with baseball results given the measured few words he gave to it at the end.

Cowbell
04-15-2023, 02:12 PM
Mershon starting at 2nd? I would have taken lane out before Larry.

KOdawg1
04-15-2023, 02:19 PM
Mershon in for Larry instead of Lane is a decision that makes me wonder if Lemonis actually wants to get fired. Incredibly stupid.

The Federalist Engineer
04-15-2023, 02:20 PM

I get the sentiment here, but there is no "the day" for a baseball coach in season.

Being 3-12 or 4-11 at the end of this weekend is the real and only crisis.

MSU will suck for 10 years if this situation is not fixed soon. But unless the big Donors agree, Lemons will ride MSU into hell and get paid all the way.

For regular fans, got to face facts, MSU baseball has a non trivial probability of catastrophic regression. It's not guaranteed that the next coach won't suck too.

At least we don't have the tired Al Bundy "thunder and lighting" loser stigma anymore. We have the winning nostalgia of Tanner Allen's tomahawk versus Virginia and Bednar Ninja performance in the Championship.

State82
04-15-2023, 02:24 PM
Absolutely. Right now mediocre would be a breath of fresh air.

maroonmania
04-15-2023, 02:28 PM

Even a tennis mention trumped baseball.

Cowbell
04-15-2023, 02:30 PM
Even a tennis mention trumped baseball.

He is getting an education in the sport of baseball right now.

State82
04-15-2023, 02:31 PM
Mershon in for Larry instead of Lane is a decision that makes me wonder if Lemonis actually wants to get fired. Incredibly stupid.
He certainly appears to be playing Russian Roulette with getting fired.

maroonmania
04-15-2023, 02:33 PM

^^^This. If Lemonis was giving us mediocre results his job wouldn't be in jeopardy. Mediocre would be more like being 5th to 9th in the SEC. Missing the SEC tournament 2 years in a row is nowhere near mediocre.

msstate7
04-15-2023, 02:59 PM
Apparently lane is the only acceptable defender we have at SS. That's the only explanation, and it's piss poor roster building

msstate7
04-15-2023, 03:05 PM
Lane and Mershon are a disaster. Error and couldn't turn a hs level dp

State82
04-15-2023, 03:07 PM
Meaning we would probably need to get at minimum 6-7 more SEC wins to get to Hoover and I don't see that happening in our last 15.

10 wins did not make Hoover last year so you have to count on needing 11. Better be at 5 wins after tomorrow or we are done.

WSOPdawg
04-15-2023, 03:10 PM
10 wins did not make Hoover last year so you have to count on needing 11. Better be at 5 wins after tomorrow or we are done.

Yeah, we really need to find a 5 out of 6 streak soon to make up some SEC ground b/c the back end of our schedule is loaded big time.

Cowbell
04-15-2023, 03:12 PM
Apparently lane is the only acceptable defender we have at SS. That's the only explanation, and it's piss poor roster building

Especially considering he nearly averages an error/game.

Cowbell
04-15-2023, 03:15 PM
How are you guys watching? It's not on the apps yet?

msstate7
04-15-2023, 03:20 PM
How are you guys watching? It's not on the apps yet?

It's on ESPN app and on secn now

Cowbell
04-15-2023, 03:25 PM
You have to pull lane.

MoreCowbell
04-15-2023, 06:06 PM

This reply is obviously after the win but I mean the guy obviously can manage, he won almost a perfectly managed CWS. Talent is the problem. Money is the problem. We wanna be those guys on the block in baseball? Pony tf up. Specifically pitchers, they dictate everything.

That is just how it works this day and age.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2023, 06:18 PM
This reply is obviously after the win but I mean the guy obviously can manage, he won almost a perfectly managed CWS. Talent is the problem. Money is the problem. We wanna be those guys on the block in baseball? Pony tf up. Specifically pitchers, they dictate everything.

He started Lane Forsythe today. I'm going to continue to doubt his ability to "manage".

bulldawg989
04-15-2023, 06:37 PM

If you think Lemonis can manage I'm quite sure you don't know what the 17 you're talking about. Not only can he not manage a lineup or substitutions, he can't recruit...we have a huge talent gap at almost every position, especially pitching and he hand picked the pitching coach. The only thing Lemonis can manage is sitting his fat, worthless ass on a 17n bucket.

The crowd this weekend should tell you its bigger than Lemonis, unfortunately he doesn't get it, he has a dream job and he is 17ing it in the ass...he needs to hit hwy 82 and not look back.

schddog72
04-15-2023, 07:12 PM
Mershon starting at 2nd? I would have taken lane out before Larry.

This totally!! Forsythe is an absolute error machine. I mean, how is there even a decision here? Forsythe - 4 errors all last year; 14 YTD, one in each of the first two innings. I'd have to keep Larry in at 2B and move Mershon to SS.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2023, 08:26 PM
This totally!! Forsythe is an absolute error machine. I mean, how is there even a decision here? Forsythe - 4 errors all last year; 14 YTD, one in each of the first two innings. I'd have to keep Larry in at 2B and move Mershon to SS.

Well Lemonis cleared that up postgame. Larry had migraines and they didn't think he'd be able to go. That's why Mershon was at 2B. I imagine Mershon will be at SS tomorrow with Larry at 2B.

And you know I do feel bad for Forsythe because I think he's better than this fielding wise. It sucks to hear that his family was given hell today and his sister was crying in the stadium because people were booing Lane and saying some pretty nasty stuff. It's the side a lot of us, including myself, don't think about at all. And it's tough because this is a results business and we have a crazy fan base. It gets nasty. But at the same time that's why people want to play here. Because we are insane and our fanbase does care more than 99.5% of fanbases.

Todd4State
04-15-2023, 09:55 PM
Well Lemonis cleared that up postgame. Larry had migraines and they didn't think he'd be able to go. That's why Mershon was at 2B. I imagine Mershon will be at SS tomorrow with Larry at 2B.

And you know I do feel bad for Forsythe because I think he's better than this fielding wise. It sucks to hear that his family was given hell today and his sister was crying in the stadium because people were booing Lane and saying some pretty nasty stuff. It's the side a lot of us, including myself, don't think about at all. And it's tough because this is a results business and we have a crazy fan base. It gets nasty. But at the same time that's why people want to play here. Because we are insane and our fanbase does care more than 99.5% of fanbases.

I've had family in this game at the SEC level and higher. They've been booed before. They were applauded more.

As a family member you have to accept that fans are going to do what they do good or bad and not take it personally right or wrong.

This is a sport you either execute or you don't and if you don't you might hear it.

The higher up your family goes in this sport the more likely something like that is going to happen but it's a double edged sword because yes you may get criticized more but you also get more glory when something is good.

I guarantee you that when Forsythe graduates more fans will remember the good than the bad.

Todd4State
04-15-2023, 10:01 PM
With Lemonis- this is a results oriented business and he's either going to win enough or he isn't and he'll be fired.

I'm not sure that how he does against Ole Miss is going to be the final nail in the coffin or not although winning certainly helps and even if he loses tomorrow we still have the Governor's Cup where he can potentially salvage a split on the season.

If we have a losing season again- he's toast.

If we have a winning season and miss the postseason I'm not sure what happens other than Foxhall being fired.

Beating Ole Miss is only a small part of the equation. Although more big picture he needs to beat them because we need all the SEC wins we can get and they're one of the worst SEC teams on our schedule left. And of course winning the Governor's Cup won't help with that part of the big picture.

Homedawg
04-15-2023, 10:19 PM
I've had family in this game at the SEC level and higher. They've been booed before. They were applauded more.

As a family member you have to accept that fans are going to do what they do good or bad and not take it personally right or wrong.

This is a sport you either execute or you don't and if you don't you might hear it.

The higher up your family goes in this sport the more likely something like that is going to happen but it's a double edged sword because yes you may get criticized more but you also get more glory when something is good.

I guarantee you that when Forsythe graduates more fans will remember the good than the bad.
I get you point. But, this isn't pro ball. Booing a college kid is crap. Short of him dogging it and not giving an effort. He's struggling. It's in his head big time. After the throwing error he was shuffling 3,4 times before throwing. That's mental. One shuffle is getting your feet under you when you have time, multiple is oh crap I gotta throw it. And he had two more not so good throws.... back to the booing. The ones booing have no clue. Never played last little league and are just clueless. This isn't yankee stadium don't boo. Just not right.

MoreCowbell
04-16-2023, 06:38 AM
He started Lane Forsythe today. I'm going to continue to doubt his ability to "manage".

Who was our #1 in nation fielding shortstop when we won it all

R2Dawg
04-16-2023, 07:17 AM
I get you point. But, this isn't pro ball. Booing a college kid is crap. Short of him dogging it and not giving an effort. He's struggling. It's in his head big time. After the throwing error he was shuffling 3,4 times before throwing. That's mental. One shuffle is getting your feet under you when you have time, multiple is oh crap I gotta throw it. And he had two more not so good throws.... back to the booing. The ones booing have no clue. Never played last little league and are just clueless. This isn't yankee stadium don't boo. Just not right.

I agree, we should never boo our players. Never have and never liked it when I heard any fans do it.

The problem is, this isn't just a college sport anymore. NIL has destroyed that. Expect more of this though going forward. The once pure sport of college sports is gone. The love of money is the root of all evil. You'll see more disrespect and more selfish actions by players and fans alike. As a whole, cheering for your team and your guys because they wear maroon days are over. Wait another generation of this and you will not recognize it compared to preNIL days.

maroonmania
04-16-2023, 07:42 AM
With Lemonis- this is a results oriented business and he's either going to win enough or he isn't and he'll be fired.

I'm not sure that how he does against Ole Miss is going to be the final nail in the coffin or not although winning certainly helps and even if he loses tomorrow we still have the Governor's Cup where he can potentially salvage a split on the season.

If we have a losing season again- he's toast.

If we have a winning season and miss the postseason I'm not sure what happens other than Foxhall being fired.

Beating Ole Miss is only a small part of the equation. Although more big picture he needs to beat them because we need all the SEC wins we can get and they're one of the worst SEC teams on our schedule left. And of course winning the Governor's Cup won't help with that part of the big picture.

Yes, beating Ole Miss is only a small part of things. Looking at the bigger picture though, struggling this much to split the first 2 games at home against the only team lower than us in the SEC standings does not bode well for what is upcoming though.

DownwardDawg
04-16-2023, 08:32 AM
Today is the day......again.

KOdawg1
04-16-2023, 08:58 AM
Today is the day......again.

It's gonna be this day every day for the next couple of weeks lol

Homedawg
04-16-2023, 09:02 AM

Yep. We don't have to run the table, but our margin for error is gone. Have to win series. Today is that chance.

Schultzy
04-16-2023, 09:06 AM
1. Only a dumbass boos a player or even agrees with it.

2. Until we get A LOT more NIL money available it doesn’t matter who the coach is.

Really Clark?
04-16-2023, 09:58 AM

We are living Groundhog Day for the rest of the season.

Todd4State
04-16-2023, 10:30 AM

Yeah booing isn't right. I honestly don't think I've done it myself personally. Even to MLB players.

Unfortunately we can't control those that do and telling them to shut up or reason with them usually just makes things uncomfortable for everyone trying to enjoy the game.

EdwardDrayton
04-16-2023, 10:30 AM
We are living Groundhog Day for the rest of the season.

<and they laughed, sadly>'

Commercecomet24
04-16-2023, 10:45 AM

100%!

StarkVegasSteve
04-16-2023, 11:53 AM
I am not advocating one way or the other for booing players. If you buy the ticket then it is well within your right to do it. I just think if you are going to do it have some awareness of where you are sitting. Probably need to steer clear of it if you are sitting near all the player parents, who are usually pretty easy to spot.

State82
04-16-2023, 01:25 PM
Players are off limits. Million dollar coaches are a different matter. Not for booing but they are open game for criticism.