PDA

View Full Version : Coach Polk's Statue Unveiling Today at 3:00. Future Recognition for Dan?

Goldendawg
04-14-2023, 01:48 PM
After many years, issues of the past solved , and Coach Polk gets well deserved recognition. How many years will it take for Dan to be invited back for some type recognition, if ever? ( I'm not ready yet)? Hail State!

BrunswickDawg
04-14-2023, 02:01 PM
Short of Dan being there when we retire #15, he shouldn't be recognized for much of anything. He didn't win any titles. He didn't get us in any playoff's.
Unless he gives a big $ donation and gets his name on something there isn't a whole lot to commemorate.

And I'm not saying this to be an anti-Dan dick. But, look at the groups we bring out for commemoration - the CWS teams, the '98 SEC W Title team, the winningest coach in program history, players/coaches inducted into the MSU HOF or Rings of Honor.
Does Dan end up in the MSU HOF one day? Probably when he's for sure done with coaching. But outside of that, I don't see much else.

DownwardDawg
04-14-2023, 02:01 PM
Dan ain't getting recognition. He couldn't wait to get away from State.

BHildreth3
04-14-2023, 02:08 PM
After many years, issues of the past solved , and Coach Polk gets well deserved recognition. How many years will it take for Dan to be invited back for some type recognition, ( I'm not ready yet)? Hail State!

This is stupid. Dan doesn't deserve recognition like that. Yes, he helped us win, but that's it.

parabrave
04-14-2023, 02:21 PM
Dan gets his name in the ring of honor. Dak also.

gtowndawg
04-14-2023, 02:26 PM

No inside info but my gut tells me Dak will make a sizable donation one day (indoor facility?) and get a statue of his own (plus ring of honor).

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2023, 02:49 PM
No inside info but my gut tells me Dak will make a sizable donation one day (indoor facility?) and get a statue of his own (plus ring of honor).

There's a better chance of Dan doing that than Dak. Now, Jeffrey, Montez, Slay, and Cox......they'll stroke the check for that. They've already tried.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2023, 02:54 PM
Also on Dan, I understand people are still pissed at the way he left. Why? I have no clue. The guy gave us 9 years of stability, exposure, and respect. But just like another coach that some still revere, he didn't get along with Cohen. Shocker there. Dan Mullen is second best MSU coach in the modern era. He took us where no other coach could, to number 1. He saw something in a player that no one else did, and people want to build a statue of that player. I'm not saying build a Dan a statue, but acknowledge that the memories he gave us we couldn't pay him back in 10 lifetimes.

sleepy dawg
04-14-2023, 02:59 PM
Dan will go down as one of the great MSU coaches. He won a lot of games and was here for 9 seasons. He doesn't deserve a statue though, but he does deserve a lot of credit for rejuvenating a program that looked dead in the water when he came to us. He brought football fan support to an all time high and we haven't reached the same since. There's a lot to be thankful for when it comes to Dan... but still not statue worthy.

Captain Falcon
04-14-2023, 03:04 PM
I am open to mending the fences with Mullen, but a statue will never happen. Jack Cristil should be the first statue commissioned for football.

parabrave
04-14-2023, 05:00 PM
Face it Statues are for Coaches who win Championships, and Heisman Trophy winners. Everyone else gets their name on the stadium. Remember we have DD Lewis Jim Webb and Walt Harris who had really good College and NFL Careers as well as Sweat, Smith, Slay, Simmons and Grant.

EdwardDrayton
04-14-2023, 05:01 PM
Short of Dan being there when we retire #15, he shouldn't be recognized for much of anything. He didn't win any titles. He didn't get us in any playoff's.
Unless he gives a big $ donation and gets his name on something there isn't a whole lot to commemorate.

And I'm not saying this to be an anti-Dan dick. But, look at the groups we bring out for commemoration - the CWS teams, the '98 SEC W Title team, the winningest coach in program history, players/coaches inducted into the MSU HOF or Rings of Honor.
Does Dan end up in the MSU HOF one day? Probably when he's for sure done with coaching. But outside of that, I don't see much else.

Well I will be the anti- dick. Donnie Mullins does not deserve anything else from us.

Liverpooldawg
04-14-2023, 05:45 PM

Yes to both.

Cowbell
04-14-2023, 05:59 PM
Well I will be the anti- dick. Donnie Mullins does not deserve anything else from us.

This.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2023, 06:03 PM

Why the hate for him? I am genuinely curious. The guy gave us 9 great years with countless moments and countless players we will never forget.

Cooterpoot
04-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Face it Statues are for Coaches who win Championships, and Heisman Trophy winners. Everyone else gets their name on the stadium. Remember we have DD Lewis Jim Webb and Walt Harris who had really good College and NFL Careers as well as Sweat, Smith, Slay, Simmons and Grant.

Lemons won a championship and will never have a statue any damn where.

EdwardDrayton
04-14-2023, 10:01 PM
Why the hate for him? I am genuinely curious. The guy gave us 9 great years with countless moments and countless players we will never forget.

No hate SVS. He was well compensated for the job he did and there's nothing deserving beyond that. He chose not to conduct himself as a Forever Dawg.

EdwardDrayton
04-14-2023, 10:39 PM
Lemons won a championship and will never have a statue any damn where.

The asterisk is did he win a championship with a team he put together.

Dawgface
04-15-2023, 10:29 AM
If Dan gets a statue it should be one of him on the phone talking to his agent.

smootness
04-15-2023, 10:33 AM

He is our winningest coach in the modern era, both in conference and overall. :shrug:

AROB44
04-15-2023, 04:39 PM
"He didn't win any titles. He didn't get us in any playoff's."

Other than JWS winning the SEC West, no other coach has done the above either. I just don't understand the everlasting hatred of Mullen. I just know he has been the best football coach in since I enrolled at MSU in 1961. I really enjoyed his tenure.....didn't like how it ended, but I don't have bad feelings for him.

dawgman
04-15-2023, 08:03 PM

Jackie Parker and Joe Fortunato should not be forgotten

Lord McBuckethead
04-16-2023, 12:38 AM

Simply put, his shopping for a better job screwed us multiple times. End of 2015 and 2018 in particular. AJ Brown should have been a dawg but he couldn?t find the time to make him a priority.