TheLostDawg
04-10-2023, 10:39 PM
Sweep and the heat dies down a great deal
Win two, happy, momentum on our side
Win one, seat gets somehow hotter
We get swept, I don't see how he has a job in a few months

Todd4State
04-11-2023, 12:11 AM
Yep. Definitely could make an argument that it's bigger than last week. If he loses the Ole Miss series Lemonis's seat is going to get really hot. Among other things- our record would be 3-12 or 4-11 in the SEC. That leaves no room for error and no bragging rights.

Not to mention SBW and the fact that it is Ole Miss. On top of it- Ole Miss has struggled this year.

I think the key is they're going to have to start pitching Dohm twice a weekend. One "long" outing of 3-4 innings and then one outing for maybe an inning or so.

If we can get Nixon settled in to go along with Hunt and Holcombe we'll be in good shape.

Really would like to see Loftin work his way into the rotation soon as well and move Gartman into more of a Harding type role.

I can't remember the last time we swept Ole Miss at home though- I don't think even Jake pulled it off when he was with us. May have been 2003.

TNDawg35
04-11-2023, 05:41 AM
Yep. Definitely could make an argument that it's bigger than last week. If he loses the Ole Miss series Lemonis's seat is going to get really hot. Among other things- our record would be 3-12 or 4-11 in the SEC. That leaves no room for error and no bragging rights.

Not to mention SBW and the fact that it is Ole Miss. On top of it- Ole Miss has struggled this year.

I think the key is they're going to have to start pitching Dohm twice a weekend. One "long" outing of 3-4 innings and then one outing for maybe an inning or so.

If we can get Nixon settled in to go along with Hunt and Holcombe we'll be in good shape.

Really would like to see Loftin work his way into the rotation soon as well and move Gartman into more of a Harding type role.

I can't remember the last time we swept Ole Miss at home though- I don't think even Jake pulled it off when he was with us. May have been 2003.

I heard a stat on Loftin. If I remember correctly, the kid has pitched like 29 innings and only given up 13 hits. BUT he has waked like 28 people. If he could get control, he would be just filthy...

R2Dawg
04-11-2023, 07:20 AM

Agree.

Not sure where or how but recently, OM was like 3-15 or 3-16 against MSU. Got to be some sweeps in that stretch. I know last year 2-2.

Cowbell
04-11-2023, 10:03 AM
Losing this series will be the end for Lemonis. No way around it. The crowd alone is enough to be the difference,

Captain Falcon
04-11-2023, 10:15 AM

Last sweep for us at home was 2002. Final weekend of the season, we had to win all three to qualify for Hoover, Ole Miss just needed one win, and we came through in the clutch. Still missed the NCAAT though, that was Year 1 of Polk 2.0.

I was still school age and my dad took me and my brothers to see one of the Star Wars prequels in theaters during the Sunday afternoon game, he had a portable radio and headphones in during the whole movie. Lol.

KB21
04-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Have y'all seen the stuff about UCF and getting caught rolling bats? This is apparently their numbers before getting caught and after getting caught:
https://twitter.com/delatorre/status/1645619665366839296?s=20

StarkVegasSteve
04-11-2023, 10:53 AM
Agree.

Not sure where or how but recently, OM was like 3-15 or 3-16 against MSU. Got to be some sweeps in that stretch. I know last year 2-2.

2015- OM Sweep
2016- State 3 of 4
2017- State Sweep
2018- State 3 of 4
2019- State Sweep
2020- COVID
2021- State 3 of 4
2022- Split

So 19-9 against them since 2015. Lemonis has owned them since he has been here at 9-3. Also just to add a little factoid, we have lost one game in Oxford since 2017. We actually have a better record against them in Oxford than at home in that time span (8-1 vs 4-2)

Captain Falcon
04-11-2023, 11:06 AM
Agree.

It has gone in cycles since Bianco was hired. We owned him his first three years at OM, then he owned us for the majority of the Polk 2.0 era, then it was pretty even for most of the Cohen era, and now we haven?t lost a series to them since 2015.

KOdawg1
04-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Must win series.

No other way around it

bulldogcountry1
04-11-2023, 03:35 PM
We just don?t have enough pitching for a sweep.

Leroy Jenkins
04-11-2023, 04:27 PM
We just don?t have enough pitching for a sweep.

The good news is, neither do they. We have better arms. Unfortunately it doesn't matter when you walk 10+.

BrunswickDawg
04-12-2023, 09:55 AM
The good news is, neither do they. We have better arms. Unfortunately it doesn't matter when you walk 10+.

And they scheduled 2 mid-week games this week for some reason. Yes, one of those is Alcorn, but using 4 arms last night against Memphis may leave them thin. They are also even more susceptible to the long ball then we are.
AND their pitching stats are somewhat padded by not finishing the La Tech game and by "raining" out the USM game in Pearl.

Offshore Dawg
04-12-2023, 10:49 AM
sweep = 3 game lead. Vs. winning 2 of 3 = 1 game lead. that is why sweeps are so important for comparison totals.

Todd4State
04-12-2023, 11:39 PM
And they scheduled 2 mid-week games this week for some reason. Yes, one of those is Alcorn, but using 4 arms last night against Memphis may leave them thin. They are also even more susceptible to the long ball then we are.
AND their pitching stats are somewhat padded by not finishing the La Tech game and by "raining" out the USM game in Pearl.

Their pitching will be fine for the weekend. No different than when we have a midweek game.

TNDawg35
04-13-2023, 12:26 AM
Their pitching will be fine for the weekend. No different than when we have a midweek game.

That’s true on a reg pitching staff but both our pitching staffs suck at the moment… He’ll they had to throw the Alderman kid and now everyone is thinking he is the next Ohtani since he hit a homer and struck out a couple Alcorn State kids. It is amazing how they get so much media shit for nothing… I even saw D1 baseball mentioning Alderman tonight.

Todd4State
04-13-2023, 12:32 AM
That’s true on a reg pitching staff but both our pitching staffs suck at the moment… He’ll they had to throw the Alderman kid and now everyone is thinking he is the next Ohtani since he hit a homer and struck out a couple Alcorn State kids. It is amazing how they get so much media shit for nothing… I even saw D1 baseball mentioning Alderman tonight.

Yeah that's a bit odd. Dual position guys are not completely foreign to college baseball.

StarkVegasSteve
04-13-2023, 08:43 AM

Why would they not? They have one of the biggest college baseball fanbases. It's the same thing that happens anytime LSU, Arky, us, etc. does anything remotely impressive. Those guys jobs at the end of the day is to get clicks and so they're going to cater to the biggest fanbases.

Offshore Dawg
04-13-2023, 09:33 AM
Do we get part lll next week.

KB21
04-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Why would they not? They have one of the biggest college baseball fanbases. It's the same thing that happens anytime LSU, Arky, us, etc. does anything remotely impressive. Those guys jobs at the end of the day is to get clicks and so they're going to cater to the biggest fanbases.

Kendall Rogers has always been more partial to Ole Miss than any other program. He's either really good friends with one of their staff members or related to one of their staff members.

Leroy Jenkins
04-13-2023, 09:45 AM
Do we get part lll next week.

I hope so because it means we won.

bulldawg989
04-13-2023, 10:05 AM
I hope so because it means we won.

So winning a cripple fight magically restores confidence in Lemonis? Interesting.

R2Dawg
04-13-2023, 11:35 AM
So winning a cripple fight magically restores confidence in Lemonis? Interesting.

Yes, at least for one more week. Better than losing that cripple fight.

Leroy Jenkins
04-13-2023, 12:10 PM

No it means it's a SEC win and post-season hope is still alive. I don't give a monkeys nutsack about anything else right now other than stacking conference W's, cripple or otherwise.

StarkVegasSteve
04-13-2023, 01:22 PM
No it means it's a SEC win and post-season hope is still alive. I don't give a monkeys nutsack about anything else right now other than stacking conference W's, cripple or otherwise.

If post-season hope is the SEC tournament then yes that is still alive, if you're talking about the NCAA tournament....NO. It would take a miracle and our pitching and fielding make that impossible. You're talking having to go 8-7 in your last 15, assuming you win 2 out of 3 this weekend. That means out of @LSU, @Tennessee, @Auburn, Arkansas, and A&M you can only lose 7 games. It's not happening. And I am the eternal optimist, but we blew our postseason chances when we were swept at Kentucky and blew the Thursday night game against USCe. You give us just two more wins right now and the season is completely different.

State82
04-13-2023, 03:30 PM
If post-season hope is the SEC tournament then yes that is still alive, if you're talking about the NCAA tournament....NO. It would take a miracle and our pitching and fielding make that impossible. You're talking having to go 8-7 in your last 15, assuming you win 2 out of 3 this weekend. That means out of @LSU, @Tennessee, @Auburn, Arkansas, and A&M you can only lose 7 games. It's not happening. And I am the eternal optimist, but we blew our postseason chances when we were swept at Kentucky and blew the Thursday night game against USCe. You give us just two more wins right now and the season is completely different.

Yeah, post-season for us will be Hoover and that's it unless we win it. And the chances of that are pretty much the same as us getting to a regional as an at-large.