PDA

View Full Version : Read a stat that we are 14-1 if we walk less than 5

Tbonewannabe
04-09-2023, 10:19 PM
Just goes to show that walks are what starts the snowball typically for this team. I would say nimbling at the strike zone is killing us but so is errors.

parabrave
04-09-2023, 10:21 PM
THat would be a record for any team with less the 5 walks per game. But remember we plunk about 4 per loss also.

KB21
04-09-2023, 10:25 PM
It seems like the majority of our defensive miscues and wild pitches come after walks as well.

We clearly have an inability to get young talented arms to take that next step.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2023, 10:28 PM
Between walks, hbps and errors we are giving 10+ runners a game and that's not counting hits!

Leroy Jenkins
04-10-2023, 07:27 AM
Just goes to show that walks are what starts the snowball typically for this team. I would say nimbling at the strike zone is killing us but so is errors.

We aren't missing because we are nibbling. We are missing the whole zone.

basedog
04-10-2023, 07:48 AM
Fundamentals = Coaching

In ANY sport you can learn a lot about coaching with lack of fundamentals. It's the way things are now days; seems more and more teams don't work on the simple things needed.

Homedawg
04-10-2023, 07:56 AM
Fundamentals = Coaching

In ANY sport you can learn a lot about coaching with lack of fundamentals. It's the way things are now days; seems more and more teams don't work on the simple things needed.
While I won't argue about fundamentals and coaching. Most of the time they equate. However, the two forshyrhe made, the drop/miss of a throw that went into cf, and a ground ball that a 7 year old weren't due to that. Lack of concentration? Something. But any 10u that doesn't get coached at all can make those 2 plays.

basedog
04-10-2023, 08:29 AM
While I won't argue about fundamentals and coaching. Most of the time they equate. However, the two forshyrhe made, the drop/miss of a throw that went into cf, and a ground ball that a 7 year old weren't due to that. Lack of concentration? Something. But any 10u that doesn't get coached at all can make those 2 plays.

I agree but its the little things, in baseball, kids seem to spend more time in the "hitting cage" than fielding grounders and catching pop ups. Pitchers work on breaking balls more than throwig fastball and locations.

Btw, kinda off the subject but watching the masters I heard an interesting conversation about Tiger Woods and all his injuries during his career. Talk was weight training and bulking up while folks like others such as Phil Mickelson have more of a "natural body" with less injuries. I found some of this talk interesting as now days weight training is stressed a lot more than in say my day.

BrunswickDawg
04-10-2023, 08:48 AM
I agree but its the little things, in baseball, kids seem to spend more time in the "hitting cage" than fielding grounders and catching pop ups. Pitchers work on breaking balls more than throwig fastball and locations.

Btw, kinda off the subject but watching the masters I heard an interesting conversation about Tiger Woods and all his injuries during his career. Talk was weight training and bulking up while folks like others such as Phil Mickelson have more of a "natural body" with less injuries. I found some of this talk interesting as now days weight training is stressed a lot more than in say my day.

Golf and baseball are sports where weight training helps but it has to be done correctly. "Bulk" should not be the goal. Training that focuses on flexibility, stamina, resiliency and core strength will help tremendously in both sports as well as focusing on correct mechanics.

The recent "Facing Nolan" documentary on Netfilx does a good job of showing Ryan's approach and is a great example of the above.

SPMT
04-10-2023, 12:04 PM

I can agree with kids being in the cage more, however, there are very few places and conducive weather to do infield in off season. Pretty easy these days to find an indoor cage.

So, most of us make do with fielding drills inside.

Regarding kids focusing on curveballs?.I have not seen that to be true at all. Every kid we Ed played with or trained with has had fastball emphasized repeatedly. Breaking balls are usually an afterthought. This is for 12-15 year olds.

SPMT
04-10-2023, 12:08 PM
Golf and baseball are sports where weight training helps but it has to be done correctly. "Bulk" should not be the goal. Training that focuses on flexibility, stamina, resiliency and core strength will help tremendously in both sports as well as focusing on correct mechanics.

The recent "Facing Nolan" documentary on Netfilx does a good job of showing Ryan's approach and is a great example of the above.

Train like an athlete. Train to be generally stronger and more resilient. That?s it. ZERO need for bodybuilding or that type methodology, in fact that muscle head type training is a detriment to sports in almost all cases, except super thin ore weak athletes.

Get stronger in a squat, deadlift, press, China, rows. No need to go super heavy either and no need to rep out to failure.

Pinto
04-10-2023, 03:17 PM
I don?t understand this current thought either. I understand getting a fastball count and driving the fastball but all they teach is hunt fastball.

My kids high school team BPs fastballs at 92 off a machine 3/4 of the way to the mound. Fastest kid they faced or will face all year topped out at 88. Why?

Every team they face knows all they do is hit fastballs and look fastball. So they throw junk ballers who top out in the low 70s and wipe them out.

Makes no sense.

I can agree with kids being in the cage more, however, there are very few places and conducive weather to do infield in off season. Pretty easy these days to find an indoor cage.

So, most of us make do with fielding drills inside.

Regarding kids focusing on curveballs?.I have not seen that to be true at all. Every kid we Ed played with or trained with has had fastball emphasized repeatedly. Breaking balls are usually an afterthought. This is for 12-15 year olds.

SPMT
04-10-2023, 03:55 PM
I don?t understand this current thought either. I understand getting a fastball count and driving the fastball but all they teach is hunt fastball.

My kids high school team BPs fastballs at 92 off a machine 3/4 of the way to the mound. Fastest kid they faced or will face all year topped out at 88. Why?

Every team they face knows all they do is hit fastballs and look fastball. So they throw junk ballers who top out in the low 70s and wipe them out.

Makes no sense.

Well, I was referring to kids pitching and the vast majority are focusing on fastball bullpens with breaking as an afterthought. This is for 12-15 year old range.

Bp for breaking balls, I haven?t figured out. Pitching machines largely suck from the hat I?ve been around and coaches throwing them?..there?s very little to at to simulate.

I personally think the majority of bp should be refinement of the swing, hitting the ball where it is thrown. Mix in a little two strike but not too much that they start swinging at crap pitches early in at bat.

Most people are not accurate enough and don?t throw hard enough from full distance to throw a Bp. So, what most people do is shorten the distance but throw hard. This mimics similar velocity. But throwing breakers when close is kind of a waste except I do it in order to give them a chance to see speed change difference.

But again, BP in my mind is refinement of technique, timing and hitting hard to all fields. It will never be just like a game.

Leroy Jenkins
04-10-2023, 08:03 PM
If the object of the game was to bounce a 58' slider, we'd be in Omaha.