PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Candidates Hot Board

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 03:07 PM
I don't think it's too early to put this up anymore. Unless Roger and JP from Angels in the Outfield become fans of our team and Al decides to grace us with is presence we are headed towards another crap season. After today we are 2-9 with 4 of those 9 being run rule losses and another would've been except it was already the 9th inning when Vandy piled it on. There's no other way to put it that Lemonis must go. He should've fired Foxhall last year but chose to stick with him and that will be what costs him his job in the end. With that being said, we can still hire a pretty good coach. Add any that you want to, but here's what I would consider the starting point of the Coaching Hot Board:

Tier 0-Home Run hires that we will not get, but you should make overtures to check interest:

1. Tim Corbin
2. Tony Vitello
3. Kevin O'Sullivan

Tier 1- Great Hires. Will be tough pulls but it could be done.

1. Elliot Avent
2. Wes Johnson
3. Brian O'Conner
4. Cliff Godwin
5. Butch Thompson

Tier 2A- Good Hires. We swing and miss on the big guns, but these guys would still be solid hires.

1. Rob Vaughn
2. Lane Burroughs
3. Jon Szefc
4. Dan Heefner
5. Erik Bakich

Tier 2B- Up and Comers. Guys we may take a chance on but could be special

1. Justin Haire
2. Jordan Bischell
3. Alex Sogard
4. Ben Orloff

Tier 3- Assistants

1. Nate Thompson
2. Christian Ostrander
3. Nate Yeskie
4. Jake Gautreau
5. Rob Childress

Tier 4- If All Goes To Hell And Everyone Uses Us For A Raise

1. Nick Mingione

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 03:19 PM
Why do you have Wes Johnson that high?

Cooterpoot
04-07-2023, 03:21 PM
You can eliminate that whole first group & all but maybe one of the second group and even he is debateable.
And Gotro? Damn dog. Just scrap most of this list and start over.

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 03:24 PM
Why do you have Wes Johnson that high?

I think Wes is that good. It's obvious ELITE pitchers want to come work under him and this team right now is an elite pitcher or two from our season being completely different. I may not agree with how Wes operates but his last 4 college staffs have been 16 Mississippi State (3.35 team ERA), 17 Arkansas (3.32 Team ERA), 18 Arkansas (3.55 team ERA), and 23 LSU (currently 3.83 Team ERA). Our last two years team ERA have been 6.07 and currently 6.52

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 03:26 PM
You can eliminate that whole first group & all but maybe one of the second group and even he is debateable.
And Gotro? Damn dog. Just scrap most of this list and start over.

I got a question, do you read? I literally said the first group would not accept, but you have to ask. The second group says they would be tough pulls. The assistant are below about 8 coaches and Gautreau whether you agree or not will be out of work about a week before he has another job as an assistant and probably will have a HC job. He isn't the problem if you haven't noticed. Although I'll give you reprieve since I have tried to blackout most of the games this year as well.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-07-2023, 03:35 PM
Butch Thompson isnt doing so well at Auburn with a .434 SEC winning percentage

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 03:48 PM

He also wasn't gifted 4 1st round players like Lemonis was his first 3 years. That program was where our program is currently, except less talent, when Butch took over.

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 03:51 PM
I think Wes is that good. It's obvious ELITE pitchers want to come work under him and this team right now is an elite pitcher or two from our season being completely different. I may not agree with how Wes operates but his last 4 college staffs have been 16 Mississippi State (3.35 team ERA), 17 Arkansas (3.32 Team ERA), 18 Arkansas (3.55 team ERA), and 23 LSU (currently 3.83 Team ERA). Our last two years team ERA have been 6.07 and currently 6.52

That's fair and he would have a good pitching coach with him too. But he also has zero head coaching experience.

If I were in Selmon's shoes (Cigar boys) I would wait and see how Lemonis does the rest of the weekend and the next two weeks. Really needs to go 6-3 against Bama, Ole Miss, and Auburn and is 1-1 as of now. If he doesn't then I think you start thinking about making a change and see how he finishes the year out. Foxhall goes no matter what.

I then would offer Vitello to make him the highest paid coach in college and see if he bites.

If he doesn't I go with Justin Haire.

Make Corey Muscara an offer to be the highest paid pitching coach in the game.

Consider keeping Gautreau on but let the new coach make the final call on that.

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2023, 03:58 PM
What happened to PreacherMatt? I thought coach speculation was his thing.

MSU is going up go Gotro and that's it. That's your new coach. Then Gotro needs to hire a PC.

Leroy Jenkins
04-07-2023, 04:05 PM
Might as well add Schlossnagle. He'll be looking for a way out soon. *

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 04:25 PM
What happened to PreacherMatt? I thought coach speculation was his thing.

MSU is going up go Gotro and that's it. That's your new coach. Then Gotro needs to hire a PC.

There were rumors at one time that Gautreau didn't want to be a head coach. That may have changed. I know Rice was interested in him.

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 04:36 PM
There were rumors at one time that Gautreau didn't want to be a head coach. That may have changed. I know Rice was interested in him.

I heard from the horses mouth he wouldn't leave for anything but an SEC or high major job. He's making as much money here as he would being a HC at everywhere but like 10-12 places.

TNDawg35
04-07-2023, 04:36 PM

He has been offered the Tulane and Rice jobs and turned both down.

The Federalist Engineer
04-07-2023, 05:30 PM
Might as well add Schlossnagle. He'll be looking for a way out soon. *

PreacherMatt and Bertstare are going to link us up with everybody even Joe Torre and Bobby Cox.

State82
04-07-2023, 05:39 PM
If that list, hypothetically, was a true offer list then you wouldn't have to go further down it than Burroughs. He would be all over that offer if he got one.

BeardoMSU
04-07-2023, 05:54 PM
PreacherMatt and Bertstare are going to link us up with everybody even Joe Torre and Bobby Cox.

Lol

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 06:06 PM
If that list, hypothetically, was a true offer list then you wouldn't have to go further down it than Burroughs. He would be all over that offer if he got one.

That's why he's quite low. He'd crawl on broken glass to Starkville. I just am not sold on Lane. He can recruit the dirtbags, but can he recruit the highly rated players as well. Because make no mistake we need a healthy mix of both to win. We can't recruit like he was when he was here from 09-12. We need to mix the 13-17 Cohen recruiting approach with the Cann approach.

Cowbell
04-07-2023, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't do a coach coaching search until I pulled Geautreau to the side and had a solid conversation with him to figure out what his thoughts are. He has been with us through all the college World Series runs, and his resume is honestly as good as anybody out there that we will have a chance at hiring. Plus, it allows us to maintain consistency with these recruits and young players.

smootness
04-07-2023, 07:52 PM

You may think he?s that good, but he wouldn?t be a tough pull. If we offered him the job, he?d for sure take it.

And we better not hire Gotro. No clue why you would do that.

KOdawg1
04-07-2023, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't do a coach coaching search until I pulled Geautreau to the side and had a solid conversation with him to figure out what his thoughts are. He has been with us through all the college World Series runs, and his resume is honestly as good as anybody out there that we will have a chance at hiring. Plus, it allows us to maintain consistency with these recruits and young players.

Nah he can go too. Clean house

Saltydog
04-07-2023, 08:24 PM

Every coach on this staff is part of the problem and that includes GoTro. Our offense ain't exactly setting the woods on fire. If the rest go he should too.

Ezsoil
04-07-2023, 08:40 PM

But he's been to Omaha twice ...isn't that the standard ?

Cowbell
04-07-2023, 09:40 PM
Nah he can go too. Clean house

Overall, he has the best track record of results of any coach we have ever had. All those CWS appearances included him.

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 09:57 PM
Every coach on this staff is part of the problem and that includes GoTro. Our offense ain't exactly setting the woods on fire. If the rest go he should too.

Our offense is fourth in the SEC in batting average and we are in the top 25 in most every offensive category.

I'm fine if he stays.

SPMT
04-07-2023, 10:05 PM
Our offense is fourth in the SEC in batting average and we are in the top 25 in most every offensive category.

I'm fine if he stays.

Yep.

CoachT14
04-08-2023, 08:25 AM

I'm fine if he stays.

Yep. Gaut can stay. Not as the head guy, but assistant.

CaptainObvious
04-08-2023, 09:50 AM
Any first or second tier Head Coach is bringing his pitching and hitting coach.

Todd4State
04-08-2023, 10:21 AM
Any first or second tier Head Coach is bringing his pitching and hitting coach.

Maybe. Lemonis didn't bring his pitching coach with him.

CaptainObvious
04-08-2023, 10:33 AM
Maybe. Lemonis didn't bring his pitching coach with him.

Todd, Notice I said 1st or 2nd tier Head Coach.
Your example doesn?t qualify. 😎

Pancho
04-08-2023, 11:17 AM
Captainobvious with the post of the day

Saltydog
04-08-2023, 12:08 PM

I'm fine if he stays.

We're also 10th in the league in runs scored in SEC games. You're not getting run ruled as much as we are if you're scoring a ton of runs..........Course with our pitching anything is possible. Team era in SEC games is 12+. About 3 points higher than the next to last team.

Cowbell
04-08-2023, 01:06 PM

I'm fine if he stays.

Thank you. I wish we could just give him the rest of the season as a chance to show when he can do. People forget what he did when we lost Cann. A lot of people probably thought the same thing when we ran Cann off but turns out the head coach was the actual problem not the assistants.

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 01:52 PM
As for throwing $ at a top name brand, known baseball HC and making him the highest paid in the nation, this is ridiculous in my opinion. We love our baseball but it is a non-revenue producing college sport and even trails college hockey in revenue production, (1. Football, 2. Men's basketball, 3. Hockey, 4. Baseball). I cannot tell you who won the NCAA Hockey NC the last couple or years or really, ever. Most of the people who follow college sports don't know or care that we won a baseball NC in 2021 or OM in 2022. Hockey and baseball are mainly loved in the North and South, respectively. Monday morning QB, but we over pay baseball coaches as does most of the SEC. We can have a very good, MSU historical type baseball program again without breaking the bank or throwing good $ after bad for a competitive coach. JMO.

sandjunky
04-08-2023, 03:06 PM
I don't think it's too early to put this up anymore. Unless Roger and JP from Angels in the Outfield become fans of our team and Al decides to grace us with is presence we are headed towards another crap season. After today we are 2-9 with 4 of those 9 being run rule losses and another would've been except it was already the 9th inning when Vandy piled it on. There's no other way to put it that Lemonis must go. He should've fired Foxhall last year but chose to stick with him and that will be what costs him his job in the end. With that being said, we can still hire a pretty good coach. Add any that you want to, but here's what I would consider the starting point of the Coaching Hot Board:

Tier 0-Home Run hires that we will not get, but you should make overtures to check interest:

1. Tim Corbin
2. Tony Vitello
3. Kevin O'Sullivan

Tier 1- Great Hires. Will be tough pulls but it could be done.

1. Elliot Avent
2. Wes Johnson
3. Brian O'Conner
4. Cliff Godwin
5. Butch Thompson

Tier 2A- Good Hires. We swing and miss on the big guns, but these guys would still be solid hires.

1. Rob Vaughn
2. Lane Burroughs
3. Jon Szefc
4. Dan Heefner
5. Erik Bakich

Tier 2B- Up and Comers. Guys we may take a chance on but could be special

1. Justin Haire
2. Jordan Bischell
3. Alex Sogard
4. Ben Orloff

Tier 3- Assistants

1. Nate Thompson
2. Christian Ostrander
3. Nate Yeskie
4. Jake Gautreau
5. Rob Childress

Tier 4- If All Goes To Hell And Everyone Uses Us For A Raise

1. Nick Mingione

Tier 0 - O?Sullivan
Tier 1 - Wes Johnson
Tier 2A - Heefner
Tier 2B - Haire
Tier 3 - Yeskie

sandjunky
04-08-2023, 03:13 PM
The social media content staff

Head Coach - Casey Smith

https://twitter.com/coachcasey13u?s=21&t=0PBbipqDqaLY2HkshEmnwQ

Pitching Coach - Ben Brewster
https://twitter.com/treadathletics?s=21&t=0PBbipqDqaLY2HkshEmnwQ

Hitting Coach - Casey Smith

https://instagram.com/outfronthitting?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Director of Player Development- Eric Sim

https://twitter.com/kingofjuco?s=21&t=0PBbipqDqaLY2HkshEmnwQ

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2023, 03:30 PM
You may think he?s that good, but he wouldn?t be a tough pull. If we offered him the job, he?d for sure take it.

And we better not hire Gotro. No clue why you would do that.

Wes would be an incredibly tough pull. He does not like Starkville and neither does his wife. I doubt we would get Wes unless we overpaid, which I am not high on doing.

CaptainObvious
04-08-2023, 04:10 PM
As for throwing $ at a top name brand, known baseball HC and making him the highest paid in the nation, this is ridiculous in my opinion. We love our baseball but it is a non-revenue producing college sport and even trails college hockey in revenue production, (1. Football, 2. Men's basketball, 3. Hockey, 4. Baseball). I cannot tell you who won the NCAA Hockey NC the last couple or years or really, ever. Most of the people who follow college sports don't know or care that we won a baseball NC in 2021 or OM in 2022. Hockey and baseball are mainly loved in the North and South, respectively. Monday morning QB, but we over pay baseball coaches as does most of the SEC. We can have a very good, MSU historical type baseball program again without breaking the bank or throwing good $ after bad for a competitive coach. JMO.

Thank you for your opinion. Why are you trolling baseball threads to share it? You don?t give a crap about the sport. Suspect you couldn?t make your 5 year old tee ball team because you kept hitting the tee instead of the ball, tried to dribble the ball in the dirt, and then kicked at it a few times but missed.

You need a hobby. Try tightroping without a net and come back and give us your opinion on how hard the ground is.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2023, 04:17 PM

We have a 65 million dollar palace to play in, we kind of have to hire an elite coach. I agree we should not break the bank unless it is for Tony Vitello, but do not hire a Tommy Raffo so we can give 250K more to football or basketball and get exactly ZERO more wins. People that think skimping money out of one program to help another is going to work are just as delusional as the ones who think everything needs to go to baseball. Vic was hemorrhaging money from 2013-2020 and we went to Omaha 3 times, went to a NY6 bowl, and went to the NCAA tourney in mens.

500K extra to hire an elite coach is money we will not even know is gone.

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 07:02 PM
Thank you for your opinion. Why are you trolling baseball threads to share it? You don?t give a crap about the sport. Suspect you couldn?t make your 5 year old tee ball team because you kept hitting the tee instead of the ball, tried to dribble the ball in the dirt, and then kicked at it a few times but missed.

You need a hobby. Try tightroping without a net and come back and give us your opinion on how hard the ground is.

MSU sports is my hobby. Have been a football season ticket holder for many decades and have been fortunate to attend many home baseball and men's basketball games these last two years. My post may have been too hard on baseball, those who support it as their #1 sports love at MSU and at other sports levels. Wasn't trying to highjack the thread on the hiring of a potential new coach if things don't turn around this year. I support all MSU sports with my attendance and donations in many different ways. Hail State! BTW, last started on a baseball team in the 7th grade in the 60's. Not gonna try that tightroping gig, but would watch it, but only if State was playing.*****

State82
04-08-2023, 08:44 PM
500K extra to hire an elite coach is money we will not even know is gone.

I'm with you on this. Go for it and spend it.

Reunion Dog
04-08-2023, 11:29 PM
Go get Campbell?s coach?. And be done with it.

Todd4State
04-09-2023, 12:42 AM

I'm not exactly sure why this opinion has come up lately on MSU message boards but someone needs to tell some assistant football coach at MSU that we can spend more money in all sports and don't have to start neglecting baseball.

Pancho
04-09-2023, 07:43 AM
Go get Campbell?s coach?. And be done with it.

If Campbells coach is "the guy", does he bring his own pitching and hitting coach?

CoachT14
04-09-2023, 11:05 AM
If Campbells coach is "the guy", does he bring his own pitching and hitting coach?

I’d imagine Tyler Shewmaker would be on a short list of assistants. He’s currently the catching coach for Vandy. He’s been that and recruiting coordinator for Haire at Campbell.

KB21
04-09-2023, 11:35 AM
I would do a pitching coach hot board instead. Go get Corey Muscara from Wake or Christian Ostrander from Southern Miss.

Pancho
04-09-2023, 11:37 AM
That's why I was asking about the Campbell HC. I have no idea who his pitching coach is or if he'd come here with him.