PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Spending

BrunswickDawg
04-05-2023, 08:45 PM
CBS has an article on P5 recruiting spending. In 2022 We are not only last in the SEC, by $100k, we were 4th from the bottom in P5.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-expenses-by-conference-sec-stands-out-as-georgia-spends-big-for-success-in-2022/

Part of me thinks "damn, we get the best bang for our buck than the majority of the P5". But another part of me thinks "how the **** to we ever win?" And yet I also think "image what we could do why just doubling our current $600k"

DEDawg
04-05-2023, 08:51 PM
For the life of me I dont understand why we shoot ourselves in the foot like this if it is true.

What ive never understood, Leach made 5M. Arnett makes 2M. We really cant find someway to take a mil of that savings and find some creative way to get it to a booster who will donate to BI? Surely we could find a way to do this through a private party.

smootness
04-05-2023, 09:04 PM
A lot of the top schools likely spend WAY more on recruiting than they really need to. And we have one of the smallest budgets in P5. So this isn?t a surprise, it?s where we are.

Cooterpoot
04-05-2023, 09:31 PM
John Cohen was a 17 tard. Between his baseball money and the athletic dept giving away $5M a year and banking $15M, he shit on football.

civildawg
04-05-2023, 09:46 PM
No reason at all to not at least spend 1-1.5 million when you are getting 50 million from the tv contract. Our athletic department should be ashamed. Hopefully that changes soon

TheLostDawg
04-05-2023, 09:53 PM
No reason at all to not at least spend 1-1.5 million when you are getting 50 million from the tv contract. Our athletic department should be ashamed. Hopefully that changes soon

Yeah hopefully our new AD is about to go to work

Dawgology
04-05-2023, 10:24 PM
SMH. Such an embarrassment

viverlibre
04-05-2023, 10:49 PM
Lots of reasons. We can recruit a ton of talent without requiring a plane ride, while every football player at Oregon requires a recruiting visit via plane. Mullen was a lazy recruiter and I don't think Leach was very enthusiastic about it either. The more we move the road, the more we will understand that Cohen was at best a D level AD.

ZedFedder
04-06-2023, 08:38 AM
That level of spending is a huge indictment on Cohen.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-06-2023, 09:41 AM
John Cohen was a 17 tard. Between his baseball money and the athletic dept giving away $5M a year and banking $15M, he shit on football.
^^^^This^^^^ but he did spend $68 Million on The Exclusive Dude Social Club.

Cooterpoot
04-06-2023, 09:55 AM
Funny how Cohen attempted to claim NIL was a problem here but he was choking the life out of everything but baseball.

gtowndawg
04-06-2023, 10:16 AM
For the past 10 years we usually shake out around #25 in the country for recruiting class rankings (more or less). It would be fascinating to see if we doubled the recruiting budget, would it help? If so, how much (a couple of spots or 6 or 7 spots)? Moving up 5 spots is probably worth it, moving up 1 spot I'm not sure. Only one way to find out though...

Homedawg
04-06-2023, 10:47 AM
CBS has an article on P5 recruiting spending. In 2022 We are not only last in the SEC, by $100k, we were 4th from the bottom in P5.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-recruiting-expenses-by-conference-sec-stands-out-as-georgia-spends-big-for-success-in-2022/

Part of me thinks "damn, we get the best bang for our buck than the majority of the P5". But another part of me thinks "how the **** to we ever win?" And yet I also think "image what we could do why just doubling our current $600k"

CML said he didn't need anymore. So, we didn't. I think you'll see a good bit more money spent on it under Arnett.

gtowndawg
04-06-2023, 11:13 AM
CML said he didn't need anymore. So, we didn't. I think you'll see a good bit more money spent on it under Arnett.

He could have upped the budget and given all recruits a free pair of cargo shorts!

R2Dawg
04-06-2023, 11:16 AM
A lot of the top schools likely spend WAY more on recruiting than they really need to. And we have one of the smallest budgets in P5. So this isn?t a surprise, it?s where we are.

This is absolutely part of it.

We are not traveling to CA or all over the country recruiting like some schools. We have a talent hotbed in our backyard.

We have still got talent in here so is it really a big problem? It ain't just as simple as those who spend the most money are only ones that win. If that were case no NFL small market teams could ever compete right?

In baseball we have the Dude, best facility and fan base in the nation, yet we stink right now. Vandy has small fan base, small facility, etc. but they get it done. TAMU in football for spending a lot of money hasn't got them anything.

NWADAWG
04-06-2023, 02:06 PM
That level of spending is a huge indictment on Cohen.

I was told on here soon after Selmon was hired that his history was in the fund raising and business side of the AD office. I hope and expect that to lead to much bigger/better/smarter distribution of money, especially to areas key to athletic success.

Come on Mr. Selmon, this is your opportunity to establish your place in State history.

Homedawg
04-06-2023, 04:41 PM
I was told on here soon after Selmon was hired that his history was in the fund raising and business side of the AD office. I hope and expect that to lead to much bigger/better/smarter distribution of money, especially to areas key to athletic success.

Come on Mr. Selmon, this is your opportunity to establish your place in State history.

Big difference fund raising at OU and here.

TheLostDawg
04-06-2023, 04:52 PM
Funny how Cohen attempted to claim NIL was a problem here but he was choking the life out of everything but baseball.

Yes his job was to get that going. Glad he's gone

TheLostDawg
04-06-2023, 04:55 PM

No not really. Fundraising I would think is the same. You just don't have a many big donors. Either way, as long as he does something that isn't detrimental then it's a positive from where Cohen left us

BeardoMSU
04-06-2023, 05:01 PM

Thats unfortunate to hear...

KOdawg1
04-06-2023, 05:22 PM
It also makes a difference if your last name is Selmon in Oklahoma.

I still like Zac though

BeardoMSU
04-06-2023, 07:54 PM
It also makes a difference if your last name is Selmon in Oklahoma.

I still like Zac though

We can only get better, tho. Cohen clearly wasn't doing anything.

Bothrops
04-06-2023, 09:29 PM

You could almost say Mississippi State recruits itself.