PDA

View Full Version : Just passed the Ron Polk statue being moved to campus.

Mjoelner34
04-05-2023, 04:11 PM

Lord McBuckethead
04-05-2023, 05:13 PM
I hope it is bigger than Saban?s.

TheLostDawg
04-05-2023, 07:04 PM
What's wild is Lemonis goes from state to shown the door. Makes me sick he didn't make any changes this past off-season

Leeshouldveflanked
04-05-2023, 07:20 PM
I hope it is bigger than Saban?s.
Gosh Polk must have won a lot of Nattys!

Lord McBuckethead
04-06-2023, 06:49 AM
Gosh Polk must have won a lot of Nattys!

He grew the game Bro. He grew the game.

parabrave
04-06-2023, 08:03 AM
Put it right next to the area where Bednars and Sims Statues go.

StarkVegasSteve
04-06-2023, 11:25 AM
Put it right next to the area where Bednars and Sims Statues go.

We need to go ahead and quit after Polk, even though I know for a fact a Mangum statue is already planned. Not everyone needs a freaking statue. Hell two years ago everyone wanted a Lemonis statue and now we're about to fire him.

parabrave
04-06-2023, 12:01 PM
Bednar and Sims get the statues instead of Lemonis. Jake can get a brick along with Rooker, Holder, Frazier and Hunter and all the other greats

StarkVegasSteve
04-06-2023, 12:17 PM
I don't want to give anyone else statues personally but at least with Jake you could argue he was here all 4 years. Sims was here basically a year with injury and COVID factored in and Bednar was here a year with COVID factored in. But Jake is getting one and no other statues are planned for the foreseeable future. Polk's and Jake's have been planned since Rusty finished the Will and Rafael statues.

parabrave
04-06-2023, 12:19 PM
There would be no CWS without Bednar and Sims. This is a statue celebrating MSU only ever Natty.

Homedawg
04-06-2023, 12:25 PM
There would be no CWS without Bednar and Sims. This is a statue celebrating MSU only ever Natty.

So we gonna put a statue up for all of the guys that there would be no natty without? Does Kellum get one too? TA......Leggett?

parabrave
04-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Well we could put a statue or art piece of a pile of brass with a bunch of legs sticking out but we would not have won without Bednar, 18 innings in the series, 2-0 record, and Sims 10IP 1 win and 2 saves.

StarkVegasSteve
04-06-2023, 01:15 PM
So we gonna put a statue up for all of the guys that there would be no natty without? Does Kellum get one too? TA......Leggett?

That's the problem I have with it. I mean where does it stop? Because if you give one to Bednar and Sims you most assuredly have to give one to Allen and Jordan and once you do that there's about 5 other players I could say deserve one as well. I mean do we give one to Tanner Leggett? Brayland Skinner? Houston Harding? What about Preston Johnson?

Pinto
04-06-2023, 01:36 PM
Only other player to me is Rooker and that?s due to the triple crown.

Lord McBuckethead
04-06-2023, 01:41 PM

Rooker deserves one for the triple crown.
Jake deserves one for the hits record.
Jarvis deserves one for setting the NCAA blocks record.
There should be a bronze relief of every player that played a pitch in the national championship season. They could be all in one national champion area. And every coach.

Lemonis doesn?t deserve a statue. If he can build another team and get to a few Omahas, maybe. I say he gets a bronze relief only for now.

StarkVegasSteve
04-06-2023, 02:21 PM

Rooker has a nice area dedicated to him in the Triple Crown Club. That's more than enough.

Extendedcab
04-06-2023, 02:22 PM
There should be a bronze relief of every player that played a pitch in the national championship season. They could be all in one national champion area. And every coach.

Lemonis doesn?t deserve a statue. If he can build another team and get to a few Omahas, maybe. I say he gets a bronze relief only for now.

We, the fans, are the ones that need relief! *****

StarkVegasSteve
04-06-2023, 02:24 PM

Can we stop mentioning the National Championship? It happened and it's over. Move on. That's one of the reasons we've sucked for the last 14 months. Everybody blew baseballs dick for a year and wanted to trot them out at every damn game and the give them the keys to the city. No wonder our players got soft.

KentuckyDawg13
04-06-2023, 03:04 PM
No mention of sporting figures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue

Feel free to edit.

Goldendawg
04-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Can we stop mentioning the National Championship? It happened and it's over. Move on. That's one of the reasons we've sucked for the last 14 months. Everybody blew baseballs dick for a year and wanted to trot them out at every damn game and the give them the keys to the city. No wonder our players got soft.

Must spread rep around before giving it to Vegas again.

Bothrops
04-06-2023, 09:24 PM
The next statue should be of Jack Cristal. The next major football project should be named in honor of Leach.

Todd4State
04-06-2023, 11:07 PM
As far as statues go we have to be careful or Dudy Noble is going to look like a cemetery or an art museum.

Clark and Palmeiro- appropriate. They transcended college baseball and helped make MSU baseball national.

Ron Polk- appropriate. The man transformed SEC baseball.

Jake Mangum- ehhh...I like Jake and I get that he is the SEC hits leader. But not sure that he did enough in his career to have a major transcendent impact on college baseball like the above.

Tanner Allen- Same as Jake. I think he hit the biggest home run in MSU history against Virginia. Not sure we climb through the loser's bracket if he doesn't hit that bomb. But again- not sure that he is a player that transcends the game like Polk and Clark and Palmeiro.

The Polk circle is for players like Mangum and TA...and MacNamee and Rowdey and etc.

Cool Papa Bell is recognized well. He's a MLB HOF player that used to work at MSU.

Willie Mitchell should have a statue or something memorializing him. He was the first Mississippian to play in MLB and he played at MSU. A mural like we did with Cool Papa Bell would be fine.

SpaceBully
04-06-2023, 11:39 PM
Yep, Ron is the father of College Baseball. Skip Bertman is the Godfather.

TNDawg35
04-07-2023, 02:54 AM
As far as statues go we have to be careful or Dudy Noble is going to look like a cemetery or an art museum.

Clark and Palmeiro- appropriate. They transcended college baseball and helped make MSU baseball national.

Ron Polk- appropriate. The man transformed SEC baseball.

Jake Mangum- ehhh...I like Jake and I get that he is the SEC hits leader. But not sure that he did enough in his career to have a major transcendent impact on college baseball like the above.

Tanner Allen- Same as Jake. I think he hit the biggest home run in MSU history against Virginia. Not sure we climb through the loser's bracket if he doesn't hit that bomb. But again- not sure that he is a player that transcends the game like Polk and Clark and Palmeiro.

The Polk circle is for players like Mangum and TA...and MacNamee and Rowdey and etc.

Cool Papa Bell is recognized well. He's a MLB HOF player that used to work at MSU.

Willie Mitchell should have a statue or something memorializing him. He was the first Mississippian to play in MLB and he played at MSU. A mural like we did with Cool Papa Bell would be fine.

Allen is a no. He didn’t break any records or anything. He was just a really really good ball player

Does LSU have a Furnis statue? If they do, then build the Mangum. He is the all time hits leader for the SEC. At worse retire his number like LSU does.

TheLostDawg
04-07-2023, 08:40 AM

This

Homedawg
04-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Statues are for one of a kinds. We should stop after Polk. The ring of honor is where the rest of the others mentioned will be. Except MacNamee. He was a good player. Not ring of honor worthy. There are literally hundreds of players w better numbers than he put up.

Mjoelner34
04-07-2023, 10:22 AM
Statues are for one of a kinds. We should stop after Polk. The ring of honor is where the rest of the others mentioned will be. Except MacNamee. He was a good player. Not ring of honor worthy. There are literally hundreds of players w better numbers than he put up.

^^^THIS^^^

State82
04-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Now if they want to drop six figures+ per year into the Bulldog Initiative then maybe we could consider something.

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 11:26 AM

I agree but Jake is getting one. I do not think he deserves it, but he is getting it. It is already in the planning. I hope we stop after that.

TheLostDawg
04-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Now if they want to drop six figures+ per year into the Bulldog Initiative then maybe we could consider something.

+++

Yeah yall are right. A mural would be good if they set ncaa records. Now on the other hand, I'd probably say Dak gets a statue later

R2Dawg
04-07-2023, 11:37 AM
The next statue should be of Jack Cristal. The next major football project should be named in honor of Leach.

Agree Jack is an icon and legend. He should have something somewhere.

No disrespect but Leach for what reason? Doesn't even sniff a statue. There are a ton of football legends way ahead of him.

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 01:01 PM
Dak is probably the only other statue we need to commission. I mean all the growth in Starkville is due to Dan and Dak. His impact went far beyond the campus.

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 03:09 PM

I'm fine with MacNamee being in the Ring of Honor. He hit some of the biggest or most remembered home runs in school history. Florida State, Vanderbilt, and Stanford.

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 03:09 PM

No disrespect but Leach for what reason? Doesn't even sniff a statue. There are a ton of football legends way ahead of him.

I mean- Shira has his name on a building

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 03:13 PM
Allen is a no. He didn’t break any records or anything. He was just a really really good ball player

Does LSU have a Furnis statue? If they do, then build the Mangum. He is the all time hits leader for the SEC. At worse retire his number like LSU does.

Allow me to rant on retired numbers in general. Why do teams retire numbers of players? If I play for the Yankees and I wear number 4 is anyone going to forget Lou Gehrig? Put great players with their names and numbers on the ballpark so they can be recognized and keep their numbers in circulation.

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Allow me to rant on retired numbers in general. Why do teams retire numbers of players? If I play for the Yankees and I wear number 4 is anyone going to forget Lou Gehrig? Put great players with their names and numbers on the ballpark so they can be recognized and keep their numbers in circulation.

I've never understood retiring numbers. We act like if someone else wore 2 for the New York Yankees that people would forget 2 was Derek Jeter. I mean Jack Harris and Jake Weir were 15 for us last year, but when I saw a 15 jersey I sure as hell wasn't thinking they were supporting those two.

Todd4State
04-07-2023, 03:45 PM
I've never understood retiring numbers. We act like if someone else wore 2 for the New York Yankees that people would forget 2 was Derek Jeter. I mean Jack Harris and Jake Weir were 15 for us last year, but when I saw a 15 jersey I sure as hell wasn't thinking they were supporting those two.

Exactly!

Homedawg
04-07-2023, 04:39 PM
I'm fine with MacNamee being in the Ring of Honor. He hit some of the biggest or most remembered home runs in school history. Florida State, Vanderbilt, and Stanford.

He has some big hit. But he's not a ring of honor player. If he is, so are a 1000 others.

Homedawg
04-07-2023, 04:40 PM

Agree.

StarkVegasSteve
04-07-2023, 04:44 PM
He has some big hit. But he's not a ring of honor player. If he is, so are a 1000 others.

Macnamee is probably the one I'm most torn on whether we'd induct him into the ring of honor. He had some massive hits for us and single almost single handedly put us in the 18 CWS, but at the same time he's a career .287 hitter with 18 career HRs. Luckily there will need to be a lot more former players put in before we even face that decision.

Bothrops
04-08-2023, 03:53 AM

As a tribute to a legendary figure, innovator, and coach. It's not like he wasnt our coach when he died. It's easily worth naming something in his honor. Not a statue, but a building, a structure, a memorial......something.

Really Clark?
04-08-2023, 05:15 AM
The Leach Beach (sand pit) always keep it be part of our training and put a memorial there for Coach Leach. That was something he brought here and Coach I think would like that type of tribute for him. Raise a pirate flag for him at the stadium. Those type of things I think would mean more to Coach Leach's family.

Jarius
04-08-2023, 10:53 AM
I wish we would spend as much time trying to upgrade the actually money-making sport on campus as we do a niche sport that 12 teams in the country care about and loses money every single year. We are playing in a palace of a baseball field while we have an open end zone (1 of 3 in our conference) and don’t have an IPF for football. The amount of money we have spent and continue to spend on baseball is ridiculous.

Homedawg
04-08-2023, 11:18 AM
I wish we would spend as much time trying to upgrade the actually money-making sport on campus as we do a niche sport that 12 teams in the country care about and loses money every single year. We are playing in a palace of a baseball field while we have an open end zone (1 of 3 in our conference) and don’t have an IPF for football. The amount of money we have spent and continue to spend on baseball is ridiculous.

We don't fill up the football stadium we have now. I get the point of wanting to close it in and make it look better. But we still won't fill it up consistently, if ever. As for IPF, you can thank CML for not only not prioritizing it, he didn't even want one. It's coming just bc everyone else has one.

R2Dawg
04-08-2023, 12:37 PM
I mean- Shira has his name on a building

Names on buildings and stuff usually have to do with donation sizes too. Was Davis Wade a legendary icon?

R2Dawg
04-08-2023, 12:40 PM
As a tribute to a legendary figure, innovator, and coach. It's not like he wasnt our coach when he died. It's easily worth naming something in his honor. Not a statue, but a building, a structure, a memorial......something.

It would have to be something small IMO. He only coached here 3 years. We didn't do anything special in 3 years.

Jackie should have one way before Leach. Winningest coach at MSU, won SECW, JWS won a NC in his coaching career. If a statue went up of Leach it should be Texas Tech not MSU.

Jarius
04-08-2023, 12:43 PM
We don't fill up the football stadium we have now. I get the point of wanting to close it in and make it look better. But we still won't fill it up consistently, if ever. As for IPF, you can thank CML for not only not prioritizing it, he didn't even want one. It's coming just bc everyone else has one.

Yea, which is why we should close it in, chairback a large portion of the stadium, and decrease capacity while making it look better. And no, we can’t thank Leach for not having an IPF. We can thank our Ad who didn’t care about anything except baseball for it. He was here before Leach and didn’t make it a priority but we damn sure prioritized a 60 million dollar baseball stadium for a sport that doesn’t even make money. Hopefully our new AD realizes how stupid that mindset truly is.

Homedawg
04-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Yea, which is why we should close it in, chairback a large portion of the stadium, and decrease capacity while making it look better. And no, we can’t thank Leach for not having an IPF. We can thank our Ad who didn’t care about anything except baseball for it. He was here before Leach and didn’t make it a priority but we damn sure prioritized a 60 million dollar baseball stadium for a sport that doesn’t even make money. Hopefully our new AD realizes how stupid that mindset truly is.

And won a natty in it. And it was stricklin, not cohen, who got the baseball stadium started.

Jarius
04-08-2023, 01:53 PM
And won a natty in it. And it was stricklin, not cohen, who got the baseball stadium started.

More people watch infomercials at 3 am than watched us win a national title. It’s embarrassing that our football stadium is in the shape it’s in and we don’t have an IPF, but we have the baseball facilities that we have. We have had people running the show with priorities way out of line.

Jarius
04-08-2023, 01:56 PM

If we can have 17 baseball statues, surely someone as accomplished as Mike Leach can get something in his honor. I won’t hold my breath though.

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 01:57 PM

You keep adding statues and it begins to lose meaning and look like bama's fake claimed titles or multiple banners hung by OM.

Homedawg
04-08-2023, 02:02 PM
If we can have 17 baseball statues, surely someone as accomplished as Mike Leach can get something in his honor. I won’t hold my breath though.

He coached here 3 years. If he gets a statue, what the hell do Mullen and Jackie get???

Homedawg
04-08-2023, 02:03 PM
More people watch infomercials at 3 am than watched us win a national title. It’s embarrassing that our football stadium is in the shape it’s in and we don’t have an IPF, but we have the baseball facilities that we have. We have had people running the show with priorities way out of line.

Cool

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 02:06 PM

We used to have a glass display of Keffer McGee's "retired" #21 jersey and Rodney Stowers's #98 (not retired) with other of their memorabilia in the old home locker room under the Seal bldg. Where is that now? Is it still on display?

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 02:10 PM
I agree but Jake is getting one. I do not think he deserves it, but he is getting it. It is already in the planning. I hope we stop after that.

Hope Farm Bureau is helping fund it, along with a big NIL deal!****

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 02:13 PM

Ashamed I have to ask as a 50 year plus season ticket owner, but isn't Jack on the DWS Ring of Honor?

Jarius
04-08-2023, 02:21 PM
He coached here 3 years. If he gets a statue, what the hell do Mullen and Jackie get???

I would give him some sort of memorial on campus simply because of his career accomplishments prior to MSU and the fact that he died while being our football coach and because of the lasting impact his offense has had on the game of football at all levels. I would love for Jackie and Dan to get something as well. Maybe not a statue, but something. Dak should already have a statue.

Todd4State
04-08-2023, 02:25 PM

Jackie and Dan should be in the Ring of Honor at a Davis Wade. Surprised Jackie hasn't happened yet. Leach probably should be there too.

Goldendawg
I would give him some sort of memorial on campus simply because of his career accomplishments prior to MSU and the fact that he died while being our football coach and because of the lasting impact his offense has had on the game of football at all levels. I would love for Jackie and Dan to get something as well. Maybe not a statue, but something. Dak should already have a statue.

I would give you rep for about 4 of these posts if I could.

Todd4State
We used to have a glass display of Keefer Magee's "retired" #21 jersey and Rodney Stowers's #98 (not retired) with other of their memorabilia in the old home locker room under the Seal bldg. Where is that now? Is it still on display?

No idea.

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 02:27 PM
Jackie and Dan should be in the Ring of Honor at a Davis Wade. Surprised Jackie hasn't happened yet. Leach probably should be there too.

Jackie, yes. Still too soon for Dan? Took a long time for bad blood with Polk to go away, Dan in a similar boat with me.

Todd4State
04-08-2023, 02:37 PM
Jackie, yes. Still too soon for Dan? Took a long time for bad blood with Polk to go away, Dan in a similar boat with me.

Maybe too soon for Dan but he will be up there one day.

R2Dawg
04-08-2023, 03:19 PM
Ashamed I have to ask as a 50 year plus season ticket owner, but isn't Jack on the DWS Ring of Honor?

Yeah Jack is on the ring of honor

R2Dawg
04-08-2023, 03:21 PM

Jackie should be there. Given more time, maybe Dan makes it but way too soon for him.

I don't think Leach belongs. No disrespect but that is for those that are legends in MSU not just their careers. Leach only had 3 years at MSU just not enough time or accomplishments.

Bothrops
04-08-2023, 10:38 PM
It would have to be something small IMO. He only coached here 3 years. We didn't do anything special in 3 years.

Jackie should have one way before Leach. Winningest coach at MSU, won SECW, JWS won a NC in his coaching career. If a statue went up of Leach it should be Texas Tech not MSU.

Who mentioned erecting a statue of Leach? I just think we should do something. Jackie Sherrill was one of our best and most beloved coaches, but was not the winningest coach in MSU history. If a statue of Jackie ever goes up it would likely be at Pitt.

R2Dawg
04-09-2023, 08:02 AM
Who mentioned erecting a statue of Leach? I just think we should do something. Jackie Sherrill was one of our best and most beloved coaches, but was not the winningest coach in MSU history. If a statue of Jackie ever goes up it would likely be at Pitt.

Read the thread and you'll see the topic of erecting a statue of Leach and I didn't bring it up.

Jackie is the winningest coach in MSU history at 75 wins I believe. Dan could have been but was job shopping on many losses. Pitt might be OK. Jackie is one of our most beloved coaches period and he loves MSU.

Bothrops
04-10-2023, 05:24 PM
Read the thread and you'll see the topic of erecting a statue of Leach and I didn't bring it up.

Jackie is the winningest coach in MSU history at 75 wins I believe. Dan could have been but was job shopping on many losses. Pitt might be OK. Jackie is one of our most beloved coaches period and he loves MSU.

No one brought up building a statue of Leach. You made that connection. Jackie won 75 games and also lost 75 games. Allyn McKeen had the best record of any coach here by far.

R2Dawg
04-10-2023, 06:40 PM
No one brought up building a statue of Leach. You made that connection. Jackie won 75 games and also lost 75 games. Allyn McKeen had the best record of any coach here by far.

Sorry You are correct on that part, you said football project. I got on the statue topic I guess because that was the topic of the thread. Another hijacked thread.

So why does he need a name on next football project?

Jackie is the winningest coach - number of wins. That is what they go by when winningest. CZA is 1-0 so he has the highest winning %. So what on %, they go by most wins. Jackie is it. You are wrong there.

The Federalist Engineer
04-10-2023, 10:08 PM
For a storied program, statues are too individualistic. I would salute the greats with a relief plaque that adds a 5 new players, every year. Like the statue below without Bobby Moore on top.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02077/mooregeoffpugh_2077351i.jpg

Or even cooler. Do what Brazil does in their Museu de futebol. They have too many legends and greats to honor just a few. They have a hologram room. You walk the room, with players continuously changing. With crowd noise and vintage radio broadcast. It's really awesome.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/13/e5/80/13e580acca89c66b107e7541744dc28b--setembro-nesta.jpg