PDA

View Full Version : If you're willing to help

starkvegasdawg
04-02-2023, 10:08 PM
If not allowed then please delete.

The following originated from a DM I received on SPS saying I should set up a donation drive for medical supplies after the long track tornado on 3/24. Below is the post I made there, but I wanted to share here, too.

A few days after the long track supercell that produced the tornadoes that affected Rolling Fork and so many areas in MS, another poster on here (he may say who he is or remain anonymous) DM'ed me regarding setting up a fundraiser to gather emergency response supplies for members of my chase team to carry when we are out. It was a gut wrenching feeling hearing the first responders there yelling if anybody had supplies as thru were either out or never had them as we all tried to do what we could until more help arrived. The injuries I saw there to small children were more than I can think about. So out of his DM this came about.

I made it clear to the poster and DawgStudent I did not want to receive any money. I wanted this completely above board with no hint of me or my team trying to do anything underhanded. The Amazon gift registry was what was proposed where those that want to can purchase items on the list and they are shipped to me. I will then divide those items up among our most active chasers for them to carry when out. What I am asking for are supplies most often used on mass casualty events such as this.

As I told the person who mentioned this to me, I hate asking people to spend their money. I know how things are tight for a lot of people. But if any of you feel compelled to help I assure you this will only be used to help render aid in storm damaged areas. We're not stocking a personal medical stash for ourselves. So with that, the link is below and thank you.

Storm Chasing Medical Supploes - Amazon Gift List - https://www.amazon.com/registries/gl/guest-view/2YE5UODDFYYCF

starkvegasdawg
04-03-2023, 12:13 PM
A huge thanks you to all that have contributed. As of right now, the list has been bought out. I had someone from SPS ask if I needed additional quantities from what was listed and it would certainly be nice as these items are going to be split between 4-5 people. I'm going to take a look at things and probably adjust as needed so if anybody still wants to help they can.

For all those that have already contributed, your generosity is appreciated more than you will ever know.

Commercecomet24
04-03-2023, 12:15 PM
A worthy cause, SVD! Keep up the great work!

ScoobaDawg
04-03-2023, 02:31 PM
Good job SVD

starkvegasdawg
04-03-2023, 05:47 PM
So far the support has been overwhelming. I started my list out small not wanting to look greedy and it was bought out in a matter of a few hours. I have since expanded the list a couple of times and it's now been bought out and then some. I can't begin to thank all of you enough. That feeling of helplessness I had hearing first responders yelling for supplies as they tried to help people was horrible. Thanks to your support our team can help keep that from happening in future events. Y'all have come through like true bulldogs. The next scene we are on there won't be any taking kids out on pieces of debris because nobody has any stretchers. Graphic open wounds can now be covered with sterile dressings helping to prevent dirt and grime entering the body. Y'all are helping save lives no doubt about it because when you do this long enough, there will be more scenes like this again in the future. So thank you again.

starkvegasdawg
04-03-2023, 06:48 PM
On SPS I was asked if I would accept Amazon gift cards instead of items since so many had been purchased. My reply was that I was hesitant to receive cash or similar donations as I wanted to avoid any hint of impropriety. I didn't want anybody to think I was receiving cash and then going to look T new trucks instead of what I said I was gong to do. However, the night I was in Silver City assisting the fireman with that little girl he was wishing he had an AED. Those are very expensive, but if anybody wants to do a gift card I will earmark 100% of those funds towards an AED.