PDA

View Full Version : nick mangione

TheLostDawg
04-02-2023, 05:51 PM
That is all

StarkVegasSteve
04-02-2023, 05:57 PM
It is Nick Mingione. That is all. And we are not hiring him.

Thick
04-02-2023, 06:43 PM
Not getting it?

Homedawg
04-02-2023, 06:45 PM
No. Capital N O.... he shouldn't even be in the conversation. Period.

BeardoMSU
04-02-2023, 06:49 PM
It is Nick Mingione. That is all. And we are not hiring him.

https://y.yarn.co/750e9a72-4969-4aeb-8548-c0d18f42e529_text.gif

Pancho
04-02-2023, 08:10 PM
He'd be a total step up in every area compared to what we are dealing with now.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-02-2023, 08:20 PM
MSU can do lots better since Cohen isn?t here anymore.

Bothrops
04-02-2023, 08:31 PM
He wouldn't win to our expectations. He's been at Kentucky for a while. Our next coach needs to be a guy who's won all the marbles at least a couple of times, or he will fail our fans.

Todd4State
04-02-2023, 08:33 PM
He wouldn't win to our expectations. He's been at Kentucky for a while. Our next coach needs to be a guy who's won all the marbles at least a couple of times, or he will fail our fans.

Not sure that coach realistically exists because you just described Tim Corbin.

Quaoarsking
04-02-2023, 09:05 PM
Not sure that coach realistically exists because you just described Tim Corbin.

I hope we put together a huge package and offer him. I don't think he'll take it, but we should give him the hard-sell just to see if he'll consider it.

Todd4State
04-02-2023, 09:07 PM
I hope we put together a huge package and offer him. I don't think he'll take it, but we should give him the hard-sell just to see if he'll consider it.

I think we'll go after big names. Not sure that we'll land one or if that is even the best thing for us.

AlSwearengen
04-02-2023, 09:09 PM
I’m thinking our best path is a young coach that has won at multiple places, each one being a step up from the previous. There have been a few mentioned here previously.

As far as Mingione goes, I’m a little surprised he is still there. I don’t think they have done much until now.

Quaoarsking
04-02-2023, 09:12 PM
We should try to do what LSU did in women's basketball. Hire an established legend with multiple titles to replicate the success at their old job.

If we can't make it happen, fine, but we should try that first.

Patrick Tibbons
04-02-2023, 09:21 PM
We should try to do what LSU did in women's basketball. Hire an established legend with multiple titles to replicate the success at their old job.

If we are going to throw out unrealistic names, then Corbin would be further down on the list due to the built in advantages that he has had during his tenure at Vandy that he would not have at State.

StarkVegasSteve
04-02-2023, 09:21 PM

Ok so when that does not happen, just go get Haire or Jordan Bischell and just end the stupidity that will ensue the second our job comes open.

TALL DAWG
04-02-2023, 09:45 PM
If I?m the UK Coach, I?m moving on to a place where the fans actually support their baseball team. What a joke UKs fans are for a team who is playing well.
#ReallyBad

Cowbell
04-02-2023, 09:49 PM
He'd be a total step up in every area compared to what we are dealing with now.

So would anyone on this board

KB21
04-02-2023, 10:39 PM
Ok so when that does not happen, just go get Haire or Jordan Bischell and just end the stupidity that will ensue the second our job comes open.

Jordan Bischel is an excellent coach.

KB21
04-02-2023, 11:03 PM
Pat Hallmark is another name that is a rising star.

Todd4State
04-02-2023, 11:35 PM

But again- outside of Corbin, Paul Manieri, and maybe Pat Casey who fits that description? Brian O'Connor at Virginia?

Here's the thing about college baseball we all need to understand as MSU fans- the SEC has been dominating the national landscape. Since 2017 it has basically been been the SEC winning National Championships except for Arkansas literally dropping the ball against Oregon State. It has been MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Florida playing for or winning the National Championship. Not to mention Tennessee emerging recently with Vitello.

So if we're looking for a National Championship in their background coach- most of those are sitting SEC coaches. We have Lemonis. Does anyone really want Bianco or Van Horn? Jay Johnson is a no. Corbin has turned us down twice. Maybe O'Sullivan unless his life has settled down.

Now if we want to throw 2 million at Vitello and then 1 million at Muscara from Wake Forest as our pitching coach- I'm all for that. That would be best case scenario. I don't think that scenario is likely though. And Vitello is going to have his eye on the Texas job. Which is going to open up soon when Pierce retires.

So, IMO the best thing for us is to try to find a coach that "fits" us still go get Muscara and go from there. And IMO that's Justin Haire. He has an offense that is built off of power and speed like our offense was under Cohen and etc. from 2016-2021. We're going to be getting a new pitching coach anyway. Muscara is one of the best. They have a lab at Wake Forest except he actually understands how to use it. Haire I don't believe has a hitting coach- that keeps the door open for Gautreau if we want to keep him. Which would help with recruiting and continuity. Or if we want to go in another direction and hire someone else with scouting ties that's fine too- whatever.

Haire is also a guy that would appeal to the Everett Kennard clan with his religious background. He would fit in well in Starkville better than Vitello. Although with Vitello we wouldn't have fans complaining about him not arguing with umpires.

TNDawg35
04-03-2023, 12:03 AM
But again- outside of Corbin, Paul Manieri, and maybe Pat Casey who fits that description? Brian O'Connor at Virginia?

Here's the thing about college baseball we all need to understand as MSU fans- the SEC has been dominating the national landscape. Since 2017 it has basically been been the SEC winning National Championships except for Arkansas literally dropping the ball against Oregon State. It has been MSU, Ole Miss, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, and Florida playing for or winning the National Championship. Not to mention Tennessee emerging recently with Vitello.

So if we're looking for a National Championship in their background coach- most of those are sitting SEC coaches. We have Lemonis. Does anyone really want Bianco or Van Horn? Jay Johnson is a no. Corbin has turned us down twice. Maybe O'Sullivan unless his life has settled down.

Now if we want to throw 2 million at Vitello and then 1 million at Muscara from Wake Forest as our pitching coach- I'm all for that. That would be best case scenario. I don't think that scenario is likely though. And Vitello is going to have his eye on the Texas job. Which is going to open up soon when Pierce retires.

So, IMO the best thing for us is to try to find a coach that "fits" us still go get Muscara and go from there. And IMO that's Justin Haire. He has an offense that is built off of power and speed like our offense was under Cohen and etc. from 2016-2021. We're going to be getting a new pitching coach anyway. Muscara is one of the best. They have a lab at Wake Forest except he actually understands how to use it. Haire I don't believe has a hitting coach- that keeps the door open for Gautreau if we want to keep him. Which would help with recruiting and continuity. Or if we want to go in another direction and hire someone else with scouting ties that's fine too- whatever.

Haire is also a guy that would appeal to the Everett Kennard clan with his religious background. He would fit in well in Starkville better than Vitello. Although with Vitello we wouldn't have fans complaining about him not arguing with umpires.

If Lemonis goes, Gotro should go also. Start fresh. If Gotro stays, give him the head job and go get the Wake Forrest PC.

In my opinion tho, clean house and start fresh, but Im gonna warn yall, it aint gonna happen. We are gonna fire Foxhall and then go get a PC.

The Federalist Engineer
04-03-2023, 01:17 AM
If Lemonis goes, Gotro should go also. Start fresh. If Gotro stays, give him the head job and go get the Wake Forrest PC.

In my opinion tho, clean house and start fresh, but Im gonna warn yall, it aint gonna happen. We are gonna fire Foxhall and then go get a PC.

The MSU thing to do is to hire Gotro. Then he can hire the staff around him. You don't need Vitello money to do this. Then you still have continuity to the Championship and the Greatest Generation.

Or the new Cannizarro/Vitello, rising star, Nate Thompson of Arkansas. Since he has no Head Coach experience, you also don't need Vitello money to pull him in. Then give him the money to get a top-PC.

StarkVegasSteve
04-03-2023, 06:51 AM
The MSU thing to do is to hire Gotro. Then he can hire the staff around him. You don't need Vitello money to do this. Then you still have continuity to the Championship and the Greatest Generation.

Or the new Cannizarro/Vitello, rising star, Nate Thompson of Arkansas. Since he has no Head Coach experience, you also don't need Vitello money to pull him in. Then give him the money to get a top-PC.

We do not need to hire Gotro, Geauxtreaux, or GAUTREAU. We need to start fresh with a new staff. Thank this staff for their service, pay their buyouts, and send them on their way. At this point I am done trashing them. It is what it is and everyone can see the writing on the wall but we will wait til the end of the season to move on.

Todd4State
04-03-2023, 08:52 AM

Depends on if we make the regionals or not.

If we don't I think Lemonis will be gone.

So he needs to find 12 more SEC wins to have a chance. And even then that may not be enough to get in.

Extendedcab
04-03-2023, 09:06 AM
Depends on if we make the regionals or not.

If we don't I think Lemonis will be gone.

So he needs to find 12 more SEC wins to have a chance. And even then that may not be enough to get in.

What are the odds of us making the Regionals? I think it is very small given the course of the season to date.

KB21
04-03-2023, 09:12 AM
The last time a sitting SEC head coach went from one SEC team to the other? 2008 when Mississippi State hired John Cohen away from Kentucky. I say that to point out that it is not often that you see a head coach in baseball at an SEC program, or another top team from another conference, make a move.

So, the pie in the sky list of Dan McDonnell, Tony Vitello, Jim Schlossnagle, Brian O'Connor...etc, isn't likely to happen. The more likely candidate list will consist of Justin Haire, Lane Burroughs, Jordan Bischell, Dan Heefner, Matt Deggs, and Pat Hallmark.

HancockCountyDog
04-03-2023, 09:38 AM
There are going to be some big name coaches very interested in our job because we can put some NIL money on the table for transfers. There are only a handful of teams out there willing to put NIL money into baseball, we are one of them.

Teams like Vandy and Louisville aren't spending on NIL.

DownwardDawg
04-03-2023, 09:50 AM

Please explain this "greatest generation" comment.

Todd4State
04-03-2023, 09:55 AM
There are going to be some big name coaches very interested in our job because we can put some NIL money on the table for transfers. There are only a handful of teams out there willing to put NIL money into baseball, we are one of them.

Teams like Vandy and Louisville aren't spending on NIL.

We have a lot of resources coaches would kill for.

KB21
04-03-2023, 10:12 AM
Need to get a NIL deal for at least $1 million for Mikhai Grant.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-03-2023, 10:30 AM
NIL? You people thing WE have good NIL for baseball??

I thought this was covered already. We lost on top Portal targets due to money. LSU meanwhile went out and bought multiple top players (Tommy Tanks, Skenes, etc).

Do other fanbases care as much as we do about baseball? No. But are they willing to throw money at the university? Yes. Are they willing to dump money into baseball if they think it'll win? Yes (see TN building a 60m stadium).

Think about regular people incomes. Let's say you make 45k and you care a LOT about cars. You can't save for a down payment so you rent, barely scrape by. You put 4k a year into your 2004 Miata to make it as fast as possible but there no other funds available. Your neighbor makes 220k and doesn't really care about cars. BUT, he's already got the house, a boat, and a nice truck, and on a whim he got a new Corvette. He will now smoke you in any race, all as an afterthought of a way to use his money. This is using our NIL to keep Hancock vs LSU going out and buying Skenes even though they care more about football.

It does not matter that we care more about baseball than our neighbors, their "afterthought" money is more than we're spending. That's what matters, $$$, and our NIL for baseball is not good enough to entice a coach imo

Pancho
04-03-2023, 10:37 AM
Then find a HC who can develop talent because the one we have now cannot do it.

StarkVegasSteve
04-03-2023, 10:46 AM
NIL? You people thing WE have good NIL for baseball??

I thought this was covered already. We lost on top Portal targets due to money. LSU meanwhile went out and bought multiple top players (Tommy Tanks, Skenes, etc).

Do other fanbases care as much as we do about baseball? No. But are they willing to throw money at the university? Yes. Are they willing to dump money into baseball if they think it'll win? Yes (see TN building a 60m stadium).

Think about regular people incomes. Let's say you make 45k and you care a LOT about cars. You can't save for a down payment so you rent, barely scrape by. You put 4k a year into your 2004 Miata to make it as fast as possible but there no other funds available. Your neighbor makes 220k and doesn't really care about cars. BUT, he's already got the house, a boat, and a nice truck, and on a whim he got a new Corvette. He will now smoke you in any race, all as an afterthought of a way to use his money. This is using our NIL to keep Hancock vs LSU going out and buying Skenes even though they care more about football.

It does not matter that we care more about baseball than our neighbors, their "afterthought" money is more than we're spending. That's what matters, $$$, and our NIL for baseball is not good enough to entice a coach imo

I have seen this come up time and time again and for some reason I keep having to tell people, WE DID NOT LOSE OUT ON SKENES OR HURD BECAUSE OF NIL. Our package was similar to LSU, they just wanted to pitch for Wes. We were never even seriously in the discussion for White as most thought he was a lock to go to a Florida school. LSU kind of materialized out of thin air.

StarkVegasSteve
04-03-2023, 10:49 AM

We have all the bells and whistles, but we also have expectations that are extremely high. If you are a guy like McDonnell, who we are not getting btw, why would you come to State where getting to Omaha is the expectation when you can stay at Louisville making 1 mil+ with comparable talent and not near the expectations. With NIL and recruiting year round coaches are going to want to eliminate any stress they can in their life.

Cooterpoot
04-03-2023, 10:51 AM
That is all

It's a huge ass HELL NO!

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-03-2023, 10:57 AM
I have seen this come up time and time again and for some reason I keep having to tell people, WE DID NOT LOSE OUT ON SKENES OR HURD BECAUSE OF NIL. Our package was similar to LSU, they just wanted to pitch for Wes. We were never even seriously in the discussion for White as most thought he was a lock to go to a Florida school. LSU kind of materialized out of thin air.

"Out of thin air" lol, it was money. The others were too we'd just rather believe it had nothing to do woth money.

A&M was spending 10+m on NIL before we even had the BI set up. Other fanbases used NIL as soon as they legally could meanwhile we have nothing until a fan does it himself after a year. No, I do not believe we're contributing enough to NIL to stand out in baseball. Prove me wrong.

StarkVegasSteve
04-03-2023, 11:17 AM
"Out of thin air" lol, it was money. The others were too we'd just rather believe it had nothing to do woth money.

A&M was spending 10+m on NIL before we even had the BI set up. Other fanbases used NIL as soon as they legally could meanwhile we have nothing until a fan does it himself after a year. No, I do not believe we're contributing enough to NIL to stand out in baseball. Prove me wrong.

You are probably right on Tommy, but I have spoken with people who know what our offer was and what LSU offered. We were ahead on one and right there on the other, they just simply wanted to play for Wes over Foxhall….probably smart on their part.

Goldendawg
04-03-2023, 11:58 AM

Throw $2 mil at Vitello and another mil at a pitching coach? Monday morning QB, but Lemonis at about $1.25 per year and his staff are highly overpaid the last season and this one to date.Basball lost $1.3 mil last year. I want to win again, but I doubt that money is no object when it comes to our program.

sandjunky
04-03-2023, 12:10 PM
For development, I?d go after Heefner, but I don?t see him moving with his son playing for him and another about to be in college I think

So, go get Wes Johnson for HC and let him choose his staff including S&C

We need elite arms and he gets you elite arms

There are many hitting coaches that can are out that there that could do well - UTSA guy comes to mind among others

sandjunky
04-03-2023, 12:19 PM
If you really get into development go after Coach Casey Smith, then go hire Ben Brewster (Tread Athletics) for pitching and Tanner Stokey (Driveline) for hitting then bring in Zach Dechant (TCU) or Eric Cressey for S&C

LC Dawg
04-03-2023, 12:36 PM

That was said last time we were hiring too. Hopefully Selmon can sell that better than Cohen.

StarkVegasSteve
04-03-2023, 12:59 PM
That was said last time we were hiring too. Hopefully Selmon can sell that better than Cohen.

Cohen can get a lot more people to pick up the phone. Selmon is going to have to learn fast. Cohen knew the tradition of the program and the passion of the fan base, which I think contributed in him running his mouth about hiring a guy with CWS experience. Selmon has never been at a place that prides baseball even close to the level we do. It will be interesting to see the interest he is able to generate and who can get in front of to sell the program.

Todd4State
04-03-2023, 01:52 PM

The difference is Cohen was hellbent on getting a big name.

The resources matter more to a guy at a mid major.

Cooterpoot
04-03-2023, 01:55 PM
Cohen can get a lot more people to pick up the phone. Selmon is going to have to learn fast. Cohen knew the tradition of the program and the passion of the fan base, which I think contributed in him running his mouth about hiring a guy with CWS experience. Selmon has never been at a place that prides baseball even close to the level we do. It will be interesting to see the interest he is able to generate and who can get in front of to sell the program.

Could he? Because he didn't. He wanted to keep some control of the program himself. People didn't want to work for him. He screwed up that search at Schlossnagle. He never got farther than his buddy Dan.

basedog
04-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Seems to me Nick has done ok at Ky, They not caring about baseball or close to cracking the top 10. I have no idea if he is considering a good coach except he is looking good right now.

Goldendawg
04-03-2023, 02:54 PM

And Cohen ended up with Lemonis who was probably recommended by one of his potential "big name" hires that turned us down.

confucius say
04-03-2023, 05:25 PM

Correct

confucius say
04-03-2023, 05:29 PM

I agree on the picking up the phone part. But he's also a condescending prick who not everybody wants to work for, especially in baseball.

Pancho
04-03-2023, 05:33 PM
I think Selmon is very capable of understanding the magnitude of the situation. We are better off already with him as AD.

Homedawg
04-03-2023, 06:38 PM
The difference is Cohen was hellbent on getting a big name.

The resources matter more to a guy at a mid major.

I think it will be even tougher to hire a big name game or a guy w a good job now. Firing a guy two years removed from a championship makes it tougher. Not saying that should be the reason to keep him. But some of these names thrown around, Corbin, tadlock etc, um no chance.

Homedawg
04-03-2023, 06:39 PM
Seems to me Nick has done ok at Ky, They not caring about baseball or close to cracking the top 10. I have no idea if he is considering a good coach except he is looking good right now.

Long way to go in the year. He's had one good year there prior to this year. I don't want him. Don't like him. Borderline can't stand him. No thanks.

Homedawg
04-03-2023, 06:41 PM
Need to get a NIL deal for at least $1 million for Mikhai Grant.

Hahahahahahhhahaha. We don't even have that for football. Much less one baseball player.

KOdawg1
04-03-2023, 06:42 PM
I think Dan Heefner at DBU should get a call.

Justin Haire and Matt Deggs are some other realistic names

Homedawg
04-03-2023, 06:58 PM

Those are quality names. And realistic

sandjunky
04-03-2023, 07:44 PM

While I?d love to have Heefner, he?s not coming

His oldest son Luke (?21) plays for him and his next oldest (?23) is committed there - I believe he also has a class of 25 and 27 sons as well

msudawg1200
04-03-2023, 07:51 PM

His oldest son Luke (?21) plays for him and his next oldest (?23) is committed there - I believe he also has a class of 25 and 27 sons as well

Well, can his sons not play here?

Goldendawg
04-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Long way to go in the year. He's had one good year there prior to this year. I don't want him. Don't like him. Borderline can't stand him. No thanks.

Kentucky, vandy, and SC have the best conference records in the East. Common denominator, they have all played us and won 8 of 9.

SPMT
04-03-2023, 08:12 PM
I think it will be even tougher to hire a big name game or a guy w a good job now. Firing a guy two years removed from a championship makes it tougher. Not saying that should be the reason to keep him. But some of these names thrown around, Corbin, tadlock etc, um no chance.

My logical side feels the same.

My emotional, fan side says we will pull a skip bertman.

SPMT
04-03-2023, 08:14 PM

What?s the scoop on this?

RocketDawg
04-03-2023, 08:32 PM
Had to google Nick Mingione to see who he is. I'd heard the name but had no idea where he coached. He makes "only" $575K at UK so worth a shot if he's good. Pretty sure we pay Lemonis more than that.

Interesting that he went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He must be pretty sharp.

Cowbell
04-03-2023, 09:58 PM

Portal

Pancho
04-03-2023, 10:50 PM
No doubt he and staff would run rings around the output that we have currently.

Todd4State
04-03-2023, 11:37 PM

I agree. I think that's the reality we're in right now.

It also depends on how we finish this year. Two straight losing seasons here makes it somewhat understandable if I was an outside candidate.

Plus baseball coaches are not "grass is greener" type guys a lot of times. Sometimes a guy like Dan Heefner would just rather stay somewhere that they know they are happy and they're not going to get fired. They don't necessarily want to deal with MSU's pressure.

Todd4State
04-03-2023, 11:39 PM
What?s the scoop on this?

A lot of MSU people didn't like him. More of a personality thing. He's not really considered a great coach either- more of a recruiter than anything.

Had to google Nick Mingione to see who he is. I'd heard the name but had no idea where he coached. He makes "only" $575K at UK so worth a shot if he's good. Pretty sure we pay Lemonis more than that.

Interesting that he went to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. He must be pretty sharp.

Not surprised that Cohen hired an astronaught to be on our coaching staff.**

TheLostDawg
04-04-2023, 08:34 AM

I disagree. It's not like lemon isn't doing well. We are not even making the SEC Tournament. Big difference. On top of that two not bad but terrible years in a row.

Renardo Sidney
04-04-2023, 08:53 AM
-

Renardo Sidney
04-04-2023, 08:56 AM
-

KB21
04-04-2023, 08:58 AM
What about Rob Childress? He won 66% of his games over 16 years with Texas A&M. He took them to Omaha twice. He won the SEC tournament in 2016. He has a history of developing elite pitchers.

CoachT14
04-04-2023, 09:59 AM
What about Rob Childress? He won 66% of his games over 16 years with Texas A&M. He took them to Omaha twice. He won the SEC tournament in 2016. He has a history of developing elite pitchers.

As pitching coach? Sure. As the head guy? Big time no. He has no ability to develop the offensive side of the ball. His teams the last 5 or so years would've been really really good if he had actual tried to hire decent hitting coaches who could develop.