PDA

View Full Version : is the rebel offense over?

PassInterference
11-30-2013, 01:00 AM
Hugh may have a record of winning at places he has coached, but he really doesn't have a lot experience with college football offense. He was good at AR State and he's now been at Ole Miss 2 years. They had some good stats this year, but got a lot weaker later in the season.

Looks like the SEC has their offense figured out. Mizzou defended them well and we all but shut them out. They couldn't score on Bama (cough cough we could).

Where does Hugh go now? Has he shot his wad?

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 01:06 AM
I agree, if he doesn't adapt...he is in trouble. Looks like his gimmicky shit has run it's course for the most part.

Percho
11-30-2013, 01:57 AM
Hugh may have a record of winning at places he has coached, but he really doesn't have a lot experience with college football offense. He was good at AR State and he's now been at Ole Miss 2 years. They had some good stats this year, but got a lot weaker later in the season.

Looks like the SEC has their offense figured out. Mizzou defended them well and we all but shut them out. They couldn't score on Bama (cough cough we could).

Are you talking about, "basketball on grass"?

bobcat91
11-30-2013, 02:07 AM
Split your ends wide, shoot the gaps on the run, mix come cover two with occasional man and when you stop the run, make Wallace beat you with his arm. Teams with the personnel will be able to do this. Lesser talented team wont. As with everything, it all depends on the talent. It's a gimmick offense.

justwin
11-30-2013, 02:20 AM

College fball starts and ends with the qb. Bo is ok....at best. The two they signed last year aren't sec qbs and neither is doss, their current qb commit. So, it could get really ugly really quickly in Oxford as none of those players are responding to the preachers "love".

You are fking selfish!

messageboardsuperhero
11-30-2013, 02:20 AM
They'll continue to put up big numbers against the Troys of the world, but unless Freeze can make adjustments, UM won't be able to do much against a legitimate defense. If you play a decent cover two, tackle well in space, and don't let anyone behind you, that offense suddenly goes from explosive to anemic. Freeze runs the same 10 plays every down of every game- that's just the nature of the offense, and if you can teach talented players account for those basic bread-and-butter plays, the UM offense is very very stoppable.

bulldawg28
11-30-2013, 07:13 AM
Split your ends wide, shoot the gaps on the run, mix come cover two with occasional man and when you stop the run, make Wallace beat you with his arm. Teams with the personnel will be able to do this. Lesser talented team wont. As with everything, it all depends on the talent. It's a gimmick offense.

I agree sir.

Thick
11-30-2013, 08:10 AM
College fball starts and ends with the qb. Bo is ok....at best. The two they signed last year aren't sec qbs and neither is doss, their current qb commit. So, it could get really ugly really quickly in Oxford as none of those players are responding to the preachers "love".

You are fking selfish!

What have you heard about their QB development? I know who they signed last year, but have heard nothing sense then.

Behrdawg
11-30-2013, 08:31 AM

I hate the "i said this before the season started"- but, I said this before the season started. Freeze's offense was a bit different and new last year. It was difficult to defend his offense. This year, everyone knew what to expect of the ole Rev. Look at last year's Bama game versus this years Bama game- that is a perfect example.

Pollodawg
11-30-2013, 08:51 AM
There is only so many times you can get Treadwell the screen out on the flanks before people realize what the hell you're doing. Collins must have fed the D gunpowder all last week with their turkey because not only did we know exactly what to expect, but we weren't shy about laying the lumber either.

Oh, and lol at Bo Wallace. All I heard all last season was what a great QB he was. He's a system QB. That's all he'll ever be.

Pollodawg
11-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Oh, and running RK was about the most busch league shit I have ever seen. What is this, a 2A high school football team. Jr. High?

Dawgface
11-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Oh, and running RK was about the most busch league shit I have ever seen. What is this, a 2A high school football team. Jr. High?

If I had used him it would have been a special situation. Maybe on the goal line like Chicago did with the Frig.

As far as their offense goes, I think it's like anything else thats newish, teams adjust and get used to it. The fast pace thing is OK for a change of pace, but not the entire game. IMO anyway.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Great stat to expound on this thread:

Last year, in 2012, Ole Miss averaged 28 points per game in SEC games

This year they average 22.5 points per game in SEC contests.

So they dropped 5 1/2 points per game, in SEC games, and really lost no players that contributed to that. They returned most everyone.

engie
11-30-2013, 09:33 AM
I think it was more hindered by the loss of Aaron Morris and Tunsil later on... Against decent competition, Wallace had no time = no chance to throw deep to Moncrief, which is what has carried them early on in freeze's career...Nevermind the extent that he never seemingly got his arm strength back from the injury.

Can't throw deep = don't have to respect it = more in the box = shut down the run. This is true for virtually all styles of offense

maroonmania
11-30-2013, 09:44 AM
I think it was more hindered by the loss of Aaron Morris and Tunsil later on... Against decent competition, Wallace had no time = no chance to throw deep to Moncrief, which is what has carried them early on in freeze's career...Nevermind the extent that he never seemingly got his arm strength back from the injury.

Can't throw deep = don't have to respect it = more in the box = shut down the run. This is true for virtually all styles of offense

That was the most surprising thing to me Thursday night was the OM offense NEVER taking a shot downfield. Don't know if it was because of something we were doing defensively or Wallace's noodle arm but if you don't ever throw deep then it removes a lot of the effectiveness of the constant bubble screens.

Political Hack
11-30-2013, 09:58 AM
I hate the "i said this before the season started"- but, I said this before the season started. Freeze's offense was a bit different and new last year. It was difficult to defend his offense. This year, everyone knew what to expect of the ole Rev. Look at last year's Bama game versus this years Bama game- that is a perfect example.

we both said it. I think a lot of people did. it was pretty obvious that WR screens aren't going to work against every team.

If Freeze had a power A back and a QB who could sling it, they'd be a lot better... but they don't.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2013, 10:13 AM
You just cannot consistently win in the SEC without a physical element to your offense. I don't think there has been one team in the history of the conference, that has competed for a division title with a finesse offense.

Finesse offenses have had some successful year. Like Kentucky with Mumme and OM with Freeze, those teams have never competed for a championship. Finesse offenses are just not sustainable in this conference.

PassInterference
11-30-2013, 12:13 PM
What have you heard about their QB development? I know who they signed last year, but have heard nothing sense then.

I was just about to mention their QB development. Bo just finished his 2nd year there. In year 2, he improved in protecting the football. But he didn't improve at anything else. He no better at finding receivers or throwing accurately.

PassInterference
11-30-2013, 12:14 PM

Its all they had for a power back.

SOMEBODY PLEASE POST A GIF OF CALHOUN SLINGING RN TO THE GROUND!!!!

K9 Avenger
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
We beat 'em with 2 deep safeties and a 6 man box....same thing Georgia did to shut them down last year. If they can't run against the 6 man box, they're toast. You've got an extra defender free to flow to their wide stuff and safeties over the top to shut down anything deep...of course, as others have said, you have to have the talent up front to be able to do it...and we do. Problem is, if they are able to keep buying OL as good as Laremy Tunsil,it will be much harder for anyone to be able to shut down their run with only 6 in the box.

Todd4State
11-30-2013, 01:47 PM
A big part of their gameplan is based on people not being set and out of position. That should tell you everything about it right there.

It's just too predictable for the most part. After awhile people are going to figure it out no matter how fast they run their plays. They also have zero ability to run between the tackles and that causes issues in the red zone.

Bass Chaser
11-30-2013, 02:57 PM
In watching the replay last night, one thing we did different was bring Nickoe on the blitz instead of one of our corners. That's one area we got killed last year.