PDA

View Full Version : Path to a Regional

GolfDawg
03-29-2023, 12:59 PM
As unlikely as it may be, I think this is what has to happen for us to have any hope of making the postseason:

2 wins vs USC. This will be hard, but may be possible with Loftin in the rotation plus some guys having some good outings (Holcombe, KC, Nixon back, Cade?). The question is can the coaches figure out how to make reasonable pitching moves and can the infield play defense? Yet to be seen. We are due for a good series though.

Sweep Alabama. Not easy, but we will have to sweep somebody, and they?re probably our best shot left on the schedule.

Win 2/3 against Ole Miss. If we take care of USC and Bama as I?ve outlined, I actually like our chances of this because we will finally believe in ourselves. I also won?t be against our complete ownership of Ole Miss until that streak ends.

That gets us to 7-8. Then we have to go .500 the rest of the year which is a tall order in of itself. But hey, baseball is a weird sport. Could happen! Hail State.

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2023, 01:17 PM
You actually beat me to posting this. I got to thinking about it late last night after the game as I was packing to head to Houston for the Final Four. If we were to suspend reality and say that a miracle that would make 2018 look like a nice winning streak is even possible I believe this would be the path.

USCe- We have to sweep. You could survive with 2/3 but would need to steal a win somewhere else.
@Bama- 2/3. Would love a sweep but I will never predict a road sweep in this conference. They are reeling from a hot start and we need to take advantage of that.
Ole Miss- Gotta sweep. 2/3 at the worst.
This is where it starts getting dicey and miracles need to happen:
@Auburn- You gotta have 2/3 because of what is coming up.
@Tennessee- You have to find a way to get 1. 1/3 would be a victory and probably makes up for not sweeping either OM or USCe.
Arky- A VERY tall task but you need to get 2/3 because of the behemoth waiting the next week.
@LSU- We will get swept. There is no way around it. Getting 1/3 would be a miracle in itself.
A&M- Again I feel like a broken record, but you need 2/3 and really need a sweep.

So all that gives you a best case miracle happened and Chris Lemonis needs a statue record of 15-15 which would be 15-9 in our last 24. Realistically we need 13-17 or 14-16 overall record to feel like we have a chance. It is a razor thin margin and I do not believe it will happen. But I am a Mississippi State fan so I have found those razor thin margins for years. We have done it once, 2018.

msugolf
03-29-2023, 01:23 PM
As unlikely as it may be, I think this is what has to happen for us to have any hope of making the postseason:

2 wins vs USC. This will be hard, but may be possible with Loftin in the rotation plus some guys having some good outings (Holcombe, KC, Nixon back, Cade?). The question is can the coaches figure out how to make reasonable pitching moves and can the infield play defense? Yet to be seen. We are due for a good series though.

Sweep Alabama. Not easy, but we will have to sweep somebody, and they?re probably our best shot left on the schedule.

Win 2/3 against Ole Miss. If we take care of USC and Bama as I?ve outlined, I actually like our chances of this because we will finally believe in ourselves. I also won?t be against our complete ownership of Ole Miss until that streak ends.

That gets us to 7-8. Then we have to go .500 the rest of the year which is a tall order in of itself. But hey, baseball is a weird sport. Could happen! Hail State.

Google maps is your best bet. They can tell you the path to all 16 locations?even if you decided to bike or walk to them.

Leroy Jenkins
03-29-2023, 01:34 PM
https://media.tenor.com/oyjFHu-E5yAAAAAd/jim-mora-mora.gif

SPMT
03-29-2023, 02:09 PM
You actually beat me to posting this. I got to thinking about it late last night after the game as I was packing to head to Houston for the Final Four. If we were to suspend reality and say that a miracle that would make 2018 look like a nice winning streak is even possible I believe this would be the path.

USCe- We have to sweep. You could survive with 2/3 but would need to steal a win somewhere else.
@Bama- 2/3. Would love a sweep but I will never predict a road sweep in this conference. They are reeling from a hot start and we need to take advantage of that.
Ole Miss- Gotta sweep. 2/3 at the worst.
This is where it starts getting dicey and miracles need to happen:
@Auburn- You gotta have 2/3 because of what is coming up.
@Tennessee- You have to find a way to get 1. 1/3 would be a victory and probably makes up for not sweeping either OM or USCe.
Arky- A VERY tall task but you need to get 2/3 because of the behemoth waiting the next week.
@LSU- We will get swept. There is no way around it. Getting 1/3 would be a miracle in itself.
A&M- Again I feel like a broken record, but you need 2/3 and really need a sweep.

So all that gives you a best case miracle happened and Chris Lemonis needs a statue record of 15-15 which would be 15-9 in our last 24. Realistically we need 13-17 or 14-16 overall record to feel like we have a chance. It is a razor thin margin and I do not believe it will happen. But I am a Mississippi State fan so I have found those razor thin margins for years. We have done it once, 2018.

Barring a freakish turnaround in just days, I don?t see us winning any agains USCe.

We just don?t have ?it?. ?It? can happen but I?ve seen nothing since last year that would show me it is possible.

starkvegasdawg
03-29-2023, 02:10 PM
I have to admire your optimism.

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2023, 02:13 PM
I have to admire your optimism.

It's the only thing you can have in these situations. We can be optimistic that a miracle could happen, but also optimistic to know that if things continue down this path then we'll have a new staff in 2024.

R2Dawg
03-29-2023, 02:36 PM

Whew, that lot of ifs but I admire your optimism.

We should be maybe 3-3 to be in mix for regional after 6 SEC games so we are 3 in hole. That ain't that bad but how we are 0-6 is what knocks our legs from under us. Losing Cade, KC, Pico and Nixion were big losses early when we had a young inexperienced group but still no excuse.

The Federalist Engineer
03-29-2023, 02:36 PM

Man, you beat me to this meme.

I will try to be faster when someone starts talking about "Hosting" a regional

basedog
03-29-2023, 02:38 PM
I hate to say but it's iffy we break the streak this weekend. I'd also wager all my vCash we want sweep anyone and I'd say the odds are against winning a series. I sure hope I'm wrong.

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2023, 02:47 PM
I hate to say but it's iffy we break the streak this weekend. I'd also wager all my vCash we want sweep anyone and I'd say the odds are against winning a series. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Yea like I said, I don't see. But if you're going to do it, then that's the path.

State82
03-29-2023, 03:21 PM
Pretty sure this thread was meant to be titled "Path to Hoover". Which is also pretty laughable.

bulldawg989
03-29-2023, 03:28 PM

Yeah I started off admiring your wildly unfounded optimism but have since realized that your delusion should be met with pity. I get it, I used to believe in Santa Clause...

TNDawg35
03-29-2023, 06:31 PM
There is a better chance we get swept against USCe than us winning 2/3. They are really good and are mashing homers. They lead the conference right now… Yall still remember we have no pitching. They are going to go in dry on us this wknd…

SpaceWranglerDawg
03-29-2023, 06:41 PM
Lol....this team isn't going to a regional. This team likely isn't going to Hoover.

If you honestly think we have a path to a regional based off what we've seen, the maroon colored glasses are working as intended.

The Federalist Engineer
03-29-2023, 07:04 PM
I'll say this most of Cohens teams were iffy to Hoover. He had some good teams too. But only won 20 games on one occasion. We also hated Cohen too, he was the meddler. The IB that fumed but was pretty much just ok. Without looking Manieri probably had a 800 record on Cohen.

I recall a 5-10 start to a season and then he went 11-4 on the flip side. Cohen had 4 losing SEC seasons in his 8 years as coach.

What could work in MSU favor in 2023 is that people are going to get tired of beating them. So they may catch someone napping. I am thinking MSU wins 3 series this year. Just need to stop getting swept.

SPMT
03-29-2023, 07:06 PM
There is a better chance we get swept against USCe than us winning 2/3. They are really good and are mashing homers. They lead the conference right now? Yall still remember we have no pitching. They are going to go in dry on us this wknd?

What I feel as well. They are going in on us with no lube and it will look similar to Vandy.

Todd4State
03-29-2023, 07:27 PM
The real question is does a winning season with no postseason keep Lemonis in place.

GolfDawg
03-29-2023, 07:29 PM
Yeah I started off admiring your wildly unfounded optimism but have since realized that your delusion should be met with pity. I get it, I used to believe in Santa Clause...

I never said I thought it would have, actually said I thought it was very unlikely. I was just laying out what needed to happen.

SpaceWranglerDawg
03-29-2023, 07:32 PM
The real question is does a winning season with no postseason keep Lemonis in place.

I don't see any way on earth Lemonis pulls out a winning season, no matter how you look at it. Unless there's drastic improvement over the course of an extremely short period of time, I'm not sure we win more than one series.

TNDawg35
03-29-2023, 07:35 PM

Winning seasons don’t mean shit if you aren’t in the tournament. We aren’t Southern Miss or someone. We should be in contention for a National seed/host every single year. We shouldn’t even be having this conversation about being in the tourney.

Now to answer your question, I don’t think we fire him even if we miss. I think we clean house with Foxhall and maybe even Gotro. I think Lemonis will be held one more year, whether we like it or not. (For reference, I would prolly fire him, but I also would have fired Foxhall Monday morning.)

magrooder
03-29-2023, 07:40 PM

He might get to stay in that scenario, but some staff changes would probably be required for him to stay.

DownwardDawg
03-29-2023, 08:16 PM

Perfect. This team ain't going to the SEC tournament.

maroonmania
03-29-2023, 10:01 PM

Whatever you are smoking, pass it over man. I mean you do realize we are giving up 15 freakin' runs per game in the SEC so far? Meanwhile, we've yet to score over 7 runs in an SEC game. The only way we will go to a regional is if our players buy tickets to one.

Homedawg
03-29-2023, 10:15 PM

I'll agree we won't sweep a sole. But we will win a series. But this team isn't making post season unless something happens real good real fast. Just no positive mojo to righten the ship.

The Federalist Engineer
03-29-2023, 10:55 PM

I think MSU wins a game this weekend, maybe two.

The gamecocks have a better record than they are really playing. They have 3 one-run-game wins in the SEC. Sure, they deserved to win. But Vandy is a machine compared to South Carolina.

Not saying MSU will dominate and win. Just think MSU can win a game and SC will not scare the Bulldogs this week.

Hunt looks better, Nixon is back, Cijnije has two SEC starts, Holcombe won't get a Mound visit, Gartman is now a one-cycle-picter, Yntema experiment is over, Dohm back to the pen, the freshmen have collegiate experience to work with.

If Lemons and Foxy don't throw Yntema, Stinnett, Hardin, or Davis, that's 10 to 16 runs that South Carolina won't score.

Also, you have Hujsak starting now, Mershon gives MSU an extra quality AB when he PH for Foysthe, Hines is swatting, Clark is hitting, and Highfill is due 8 cheap hits for the bad luck last week. Maybe Dakota Jordan is settled and learned something from Goat. Bryce Chance is getting better and better too.

Todd4State
03-29-2023, 11:10 PM
I think MSU wins a game this weekend, maybe two.

The gamecocks have a better record than they are really playing. They have 3 one-run-game wins in the SEC. Sure, they deserved to win. But Vandy is a machine compared to South Carolina.

Not saying MSU will dominate and win. Just think MSU can win a game and SC will not scare the Bulldogs this week.

Hunt looks better, Nixon is back, Cijnije has two SEC starts, Holcombe won't get a Mound visit, Gartman is now a one-cycle-picter, Yntema experiment is over, Dohm back to the pen, the freshmen have collegiate experience to work with.

If Lemons and Foxy don't throw Yntema, Stinnett, Hardin, or Davis, that's 10 to 16 runs that South Carolina won't score.

Also, you have Hujsak starting now, Mershon gives MSU an extra quality AB when he PH for Foysthe, Hines is swatting, Clark is hitting, and Highfill is due 8 cheap hits for the bad luck last week. Maybe Dakota Jordan is settled and learned something from Goat. Bryce Chance is getting better and better too.

Managing the staff better needs to happen.

We assume Loftin is starting- and he may. But he also might pitch in relief. We're a better team with Dohm in the bullpen.

We need to start Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe.

Dohm, Gartman, Hunt, and Nixon need to be our main relief guys.

If we get Cade Smith back we can move Holcombe back to the bullpen.

The Federalist Engineer
03-30-2023, 01:16 AM
Managing the staff better needs to happen.

We assume Loftin is starting- and he may. But he also might pitch in relief. We're a better team with Dohm in the bullpen.

We need to start Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe.

Dohm, Gartman, Hunt, and Nixon need to be our main relief guys.

If we get Cade Smith back we can move Holcombe back to the bullpen.

Doing smart things can possibly get MSU to double digit wins in the SEC. Then MSU can avoid a scandalously bad SEC record and the AD can strike like lightning with a new staff in May and keep the 2024 recruiting in decent shape.

Pancho
03-30-2023, 05:59 AM
Looks like Dohm is starting on saturday.

Lord McBuckethead
03-30-2023, 07:10 AM
Might as well say, win every game we play. About as likely as getting one win this weekend.

Lord McBuckethead
03-30-2023, 07:12 AM
Lol....this team isn't going to a regional. This team likely isn't going to Hoover.

If you honestly think we have a path to a regional based off what we've seen, the maroon colored glasses are working as intended.

I mean, there is a path, we just are not going to do it. But if we did, that is what we need to do our better.

PGHBulldogBG
03-30-2023, 07:21 AM
As frustrating as this team has been, I might want to see what Lemonis does with a new pitching coach before we officially pull the plug on him. I wish we had got rid of Foxhall before SEC play started. Lemonis not making that decision may be the reason he ends up getting fired. We need to win series against Ole Miss, aTm and Alabama to avoid a disaster record. The numbers don’t show it, but I think we can win those 3 series along with pulling out a game against Ark and Auburn and USCe. If he can do that give him 1 more year with full staff changes. If not, he probably has to go

Duckdog
03-30-2023, 10:01 AM

Im guessing you didn't watch Tuesday nights game "bruh, we suck"

Offshore Dawg
03-30-2023, 10:18 AM
You might want to start with just getting into the SEC tournament.

State82
03-30-2023, 10:30 AM
You might want to start with just getting into the SEC tournament.

That should be foremost in their minds at this point because that will be a monumental task. With 24 conference games left we would need to be about .500 in those remaining games to make Hoover. That ain't happening.

Dawgface
03-30-2023, 10:55 AM

That?s always a good one.

A more achievable goal is to figure out a way to avoid finishing dead last.

gtowndawg
03-30-2023, 01:50 PM
I wonder if Vandy football fans have this discussion (path to a bowl) when they are 1-5? Or do they just accept fate at that point?

Captain Falcon
03-30-2023, 02:11 PM
Gonna have to go 14-10 the rest of the way in league play. Best chance to make a dent in that is the next four weekends, but even then you are gonna need some wins in May when the schedule is brutal. Probably need two wins this weekend to even begin thinking about making a Regional.

What saved us in 2018 was that we somehow went 9-1 against the three best teams in the league (Florida, Ole Miss, Arkansas). Going to require some more out of nowhere good weekends for this team to make a turnaround.

maroonmania
03-30-2023, 08:59 PM
Gonna have to go 14-10 the rest of the way in league play. Best chance to make a dent in that is the next four weekends, but even then you are gonna need some wins in May when the schedule is brutal. Probably need two wins this weekend to even begin thinking about making a Regional.

What saved us in 2018 was that we somehow went 9-1 against the three best teams in the league (Florida, Ole Miss, Arkansas). Going to require some more out of nowhere good weekends for this team to make a turnaround.

Make that 14-9 now.

msstate7
03-30-2023, 09:10 PM
I wonder if Vandy football fans have this discussion (path to a bowl) when they are 1-5? Or do they just accept fate at that point?

Lemonis has turned us into vandy football.

sandjunky
03-31-2023, 05:59 AM
I'll say this most of Cohens teams were iffy to Hoover. He had some good teams too. But only won 20 games on one occasion. We also hated Cohen too, he was the meddler. The IB that fumed but was pretty much just ok. Without looking Manieri probably had a 800 record on Cohen.

I recall a 5-10 start to a season and then he went 11-4 on the flip side. Cohen had 4 losing SEC seasons in his 8 years as coach.

What could work in MSU favor in 2023 is that people are going to get tired of beating them. So they may catch someone napping. I am thinking MSU wins 3 series this year. Just need to stop getting swept.

Make that 14-9 now.

Not happening

Mjoelner34
03-31-2023, 07:16 AM
Our path to a regional is currently sitting in someone else's dugout.

MaroonFlounder
03-31-2023, 07:32 AM
What is the path to the SEC tournament?

We won't be there for the 2nd year in a row.

TNDawg35
03-31-2023, 07:33 AM
What is the path to the SEC tournament?

We won't be there for the 2nd year in a row.

Depends on how bad Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and UGA are…

Jack Lambert
03-31-2023, 07:55 AM
We need to find a path to the SEC tournament first. The secret to that is not lose a home series and not get swept on the road or at home. We behind the 8 ball.

Saltydog
03-31-2023, 10:14 AM
Wow, we have some extremely optimistic fans.....Honestly, I can't believe anyone is even remotely discussing anything of this nature.......The train is off the tracks and there's only one thing that might possibly get this thing turned around next year and that's another coach......

The Federalist Engineer
03-31-2023, 11:54 AM
Not happening

I'll say this. If MSU can win at least Sunday vs the #9 team in the Nation and then sweep Alabama. This season becomes interesting again.

None of these boys are losers and I see grit since last Sunday, maybe we get the next great leader from these hard times.

Ari Gold
03-31-2023, 02:00 PM
Regional ??.
Im sure this thread is littered with this same response

I will be surprised if we make Hoover , hell I just want to win a game then try and win a series ..
This team isnt making a regional