PDA

View Full Version : Portal Targets/Jans

SteelCurtain74
03-29-2023, 05:11 AM
I haven't heard who Jans may be looking at in the portal for next year but I would suggest looking at Jamarion Sharp from Western Kentucky. He's 7'5" and appears to be pretty athletic for his size.

https://youtu.be/RuQaOwbrLWc

TNDawg35
03-29-2023, 05:38 AM
Per Twitter, we have contacted a shit ton of people. Don’t know much about them, but there is a guy who puts who has been in contact either certain recruits and we have literally been on every list.

I do remember the kid from Arizona State off hand.

ZedFedder
03-29-2023, 06:48 AM
We are in the top 10 for BJ Mack. We have had an in home with him.

PGHBulldogBG
03-29-2023, 07:48 AM
Mack is probably going to Michigan, but he would be a nice addition if we can sway him away from Ann Arbor

Count Istvan Teleky
03-29-2023, 08:09 AM
I haven't heard who Jans may be looking at in the portal for next year but I would suggest looking at Jamarion Sharp from Western Kentucky. He's 7'5" and appears to be pretty athletic for his size.

https://youtu.be/RuQaOwbrLWc

Oquendo from Georgia. The guy can score.

SteelCurtain74
03-29-2023, 08:22 AM
Oquendo from Georgia. The guy can score.

He's also entered his name in the NBA draft. If he stays in school he would be another one I would like to get in addition to the Withers kid from Louisville.

gtowndawg
03-29-2023, 08:33 AM
I think we feel good about the Florida transfer Kowacie Reeves Jr

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2023, 08:37 AM
I think we feel good about the Florida transfer Kowacie Reeves Jr

Really good. Not sure what to think about him. He is a younger DJ with a little more athleticism but a worse 3 pt shooter.

NCMSTFAN
03-29-2023, 08:39 AM
I've seen a bunch of portal targets we are after on facebook and twitter. If Jans can get a couple scorers/shooters we are going to be good next year

ZedFedder
03-29-2023, 09:31 AM
I didn?t know we were on Reeves that hard. That is good to hear. He definitely has huge potential. He doesn?t address the shooting need, but he would be a defensive menace in Jans?s defense.

gtowndawg
03-29-2023, 09:48 AM
Really good. Not sure what to think about him. He is a younger DJ with a little more athleticism but a worse 3 pt shooter.

Totally agree. I'd rather focus on more natural scorers but supposedly North Carolina is in on him as well. If true, there must be more to his game than I realize.

ZedFedder
03-29-2023, 11:27 AM
Have we lost anyone to the portal?

Goldendawg
03-29-2023, 11:39 AM
Can we get Cam Carter back? Seriously, was he determined to leave or did we not want to keep him?

Thick
03-29-2023, 12:50 PM
I look at possible fits differently. If you can fill it up, and play defense that?s great. If you can fill it up, and willing to play defense that?s good. If you can?t fill it up, but plays defense that?s ok, but that?s not what we need. We need scorers that are at least coachable defenders. Just my opinion.

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2023, 02:07 PM
Can we get Cam Carter back? Seriously, was he determined to leave or did we not want to keep him?

No. He was only hear because of Howland and Ziegler. They are gone and so is he.

StarkVegasSteve
03-29-2023, 02:08 PM
Totally agree. I'd rather focus on more natural scorers but supposedly North Carolina is in on him as well. If true, there must be more to his game than I realize.

Programs are recruiting him because his potential is through the roof, which it is. However, we've been stung too much by potential the last couple of years in another sport...........

SailingDawg
03-29-2023, 08:33 PM
Are we sure Tolu is returning?

gtowndawg
03-30-2023, 08:45 AM
Are we sure Tolu is returning?

Sounds like he's going to get his draft grade from the NBA then decide. Probably a smart move just to see where he stands.

smootness
03-30-2023, 08:49 AM
Sounds like he's going to get his draft grade from the NBA then decide. Probably a smart move just to see where he stands.

If his determination is based on his NBA grade, I would think he's almost certainly coming back. Because he won't get drafted. My concern was more overseas or just not wanting to play college ball anymore. If his decision is NBA vs. college, then he'll be back.

gtowndawg
03-30-2023, 09:20 AM
If his determination is based on his NBA grade, I would think he's almost certainly coming back. Because he won't get drafted. My concern was more overseas or just not wanting to play college ball anymore. If his decision is NBA vs. college, then he'll be back.

I agree, a good NBA draft grade is implausible. I imagine this will come down to an agreeable NIL deal on both sides, otherwise it's overseas for Tolu.

Johnson85
03-30-2023, 11:08 AM
Programs are recruiting him because his potential is through the roof, which it is. However, we've been stung too much by potential the last couple of years in another sport...........

I don't think we're going to see a lot of people waste their potential under Jans. They may transfer out because they don't like how hard they are required to play, but they won't just come in and not improve. Now that said, some people are just not scorers and I don't think Jans is going to perform any real magic with them. But the type of improvement that Moore had this year is likely. Better playing and decision making, even if the actual shooting doesn't improve that much.

KB21
03-31-2023, 12:35 PM
Need to get a big NIL deal together to get Javian McCollum from Siena to come to Starkville.

https://twitter.com/javian_0/status/1641836223277744130?s=20

KB21
03-31-2023, 12:37 PM
https://twitter.com/Kjpistons/status/1634602830458679300?s=20

SteelCurtain74
03-31-2023, 12:40 PM
I saw something today that said there are over 1,000 players in the portal. That's crazy.

NCMSTFAN
03-31-2023, 02:28 PM
There are tons of really good guards in the portal already. Jans has to go get a couple, I've been saying it for years now you win college basketball with good guard play. Go look at the remaining tourney teams, all of them have explosive scoring guard play. Heck FAU has about 6 or 7 good guards that contribute and that's what got them to the elite 8.

SteelCurtain74
04-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Bumping this as BJ Mack has narrowed it down to his top 5 and unfortunately we didn't make the cut.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-basketball/bj-mack-wofford-hoops-transfer-includes-4-sec-teams-on-top-5-list/

ZedFedder
04-04-2023, 05:34 PM
Bumping this as BJ Mack has narrowed it down to his top 5 and unfortunately we didn't make the cut.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/college-basketball/bj-mack-wofford-hoops-transfer-includes-4-sec-teams-on-top-5-list/

Thanks for the update.

Goldendawg
04-04-2023, 05:42 PM
I don't think we're going to see a lot of people waste their potential under Jans. They may transfer out because they don't like how hard they are required to play, but they won't just come in and not improve. Now that said, some people are just not scorers and I don't think Jans is going to perform any real magic with them. But the type of improvement that Moore had this year is likely. Better playing and decision making, even if the actual shooting doesn't improve that much.

Yep. Don't play D, you won't see the floor under Jans. Any word on Murphy and Russell? How about Cam, DJ, Shaq, and Will?

schddog72
04-04-2023, 06:48 PM
No. He was only hear because of Howland and Ziegler. They are gone and so is he.

Was he "here", or can he "hear"?

StarkVegasSteve
04-04-2023, 08:29 PM
Was he "here", or can he "hear"?

He cannot hear that we would like him to come back. Sad really.

SteelCurtain74
04-07-2023, 06:24 PM
Some of you mentioned Reeves from Florida was looking at us. Just saw he is going to Georgia Tech to play for Stoudemire.

msstate7
04-07-2023, 08:02 PM
Some of you mentioned Reeves from Florida was looking at us. Just saw he is going to Georgia Tech to play for Stoudemire.

If we lost to GT, ouch

KOdawg1
04-07-2023, 08:15 PM
If we lost to GT, ouch

I don't think we were ready to take him. Waiting to see what DJ does

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 11:45 AM
If we lost to GT, ouch

We've already missed on a few players who had us in their top 5 to 10.. Jans is a heck of a coach, especially defensively but that doesn't appeal to alot of kids who want to run up and down the court and score and I think that may be part of the reason Jans has struggled in recruiting so far.

MetEdDawg
04-08-2023, 11:58 AM
We've already missed on a few players who had us in their top 5 to 10.. Jans is a heck of a coach, especially defensively but that doesn't appeal to alot of kids who want to run up and down the court and score and I think that may be part of the reason Jans has struggled in recruiting so far.

Yeah that Hubbard kid we got that scored the most points ever in the history of the state of Mississippi really didn't like Jans philosophy on basketball.

ZedFedder
04-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Yeah that Hubbard kid we got that scored the most points ever in the history of the state of Mississippi really didn't like Jans philosophy on basketball.

I?m a huge fan of Jans, but the only reason he chose State was because Kermit was fired. He chose them, we just got lucky

MetEdDawg
04-08-2023, 02:33 PM
I?m a huge fan of Jans, but the only reason he chose State was because Kermit was fired. He chose them, we just got lucky

But he also chose Kermit and had an established relationship with them well before Jans came to campus.

So sure Kermit getting fired helped, but had Jans been at MSU 2-3 years and had a chance to develop that relationship longer term, can we say he would t have initially committed to MSU? No way.

Plus he didn't have to commit to Jans. He could have committed somewhere else. But he didn't.

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 02:39 PM
Jans may have been late to the portal last season, but please improve over Horton and Reed at "shooting" guard.

Rawdawg
04-08-2023, 03:49 PM
We?re not adding as many in the portal as most think.

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 03:54 PM

Hubbard initially committed to Ole Miss with Jans at State, he wants to play at a hometown school. Good get by Jans nonetheless but AGAIN, Jans has struggled and missed out on alot of portal guys, even last year. I stand by my statement, Jans is a heck of a coach especially defensively but his recruiting so far has been bad other than Hubbard.

He will have to step that area up for us, it's just the truth! Fans are just afraid of reality and the truth and what I'm saying is the truth

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 03:55 PM
We?re not adding as many in the portal as most think.

How many spots are currently open?

msstate7
04-08-2023, 03:59 PM
Do we expect tolu and DJ back?

DJ and cam seem redundant to me

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 04:02 PM
Do we expect tolu and DJ back?

DJ and cam seem redundant to me

We need scoring... I'd love for Tolu to return but wouldn't be mad to see some move on with all due respect to them

msstate7
04-08-2023, 04:14 PM
We need scoring... I'd love for Tolu to return but wouldn't be mad to see some move on with all due respect to them

I would like...

Davis
Moore
Scorer (maybe it's fort or Hubbard)
Cam
Tolu

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 04:36 PM
I would like...

Davis
Moore
Scorer (maybe it's fort or Hubbard)
Cam
Tolu

I like it, but I would add one more scorer to that lineup and take out Davis:

Scorer from the portal or Hubbard (if he's ready)
Moore
Scorer from the portal
Cam
Tolu

That gives us 3 scorers and good defense

Leeshouldveflanked
04-08-2023, 04:43 PM
How many spots are currently open?
Almost all of them.

msstate7
04-08-2023, 04:43 PM
I like it, but I would add one more scorer to that lineup and take out Davis:

Scorer from the portal or Hubbard (if he's ready)
Moore
Scorer from the portal
Cam
Tolu

That gives us 3 scorers and good defense

I like Davis more than most. I thought he came on down the stretch. Last 10 games...

10.4 ppg
3.4 asp
1.7 steals/game

That's certainly not great, but pretty damn solid.

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2023, 04:46 PM
I want DJ and Shak to come back more than anyone else. They can actually shoot. Jans unlocked something in them. I would also take Tolu because I saw what a matchup nightmare Sanogo was in the tourney. The rest are expendable.

msstate7
04-08-2023, 04:52 PM
I want DJ and Shak to come back more than anyone else. They can actually shoot. Jans unlocked something in them. I would also take Tolu because I saw what a matchup nightmare Sanogo was in the tourney. The rest are expendable.

I like DJ's defense, but he had his worst offensive season this past year

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 04:56 PM
I like Davis more than most. I thought he came on down the stretch. Last 10 games...

10.4 ppg
3.4 asp
1.7 steals/game

I wasn't a huge fan of Davis to be honest but he did have moments. I wouldn't mind keeping him but I think he should come off the bench

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 04:57 PM

DJ has great mechanics, his shot just doesn't fall for whatever reason. I want Shak back too, he tough

ZedFedder
04-08-2023, 05:28 PM
DJ has great mechanics, his shot just doesn't fall for whatever reason. I want Shak back too, he tough

His shooting elbow sticks out. He also has a low release point. It makes him inconsistent.

msstate7
04-08-2023, 05:41 PM
I wasn't a huge fan of Davis to be honest but he did have moments. I wouldn't mind keeping him but I think he should come off the bench

I think he starts, and Hubbard is the 6th man off the bench to give us more driving ability at guard (fingers crossed)

Goldendawg
04-08-2023, 05:51 PM
If Tolo and a couple more of the "Howland" starters leave, we will see quickly how Jans recruits or portal guys can play in the SEC in the 2023/2024 season. We need much better than those we got in the last portal.

msstate7
04-08-2023, 06:08 PM
If Tolo and a couple more of the "Howland" starters leave, we will see quickly how Jans recruits or portal guys can play in the SEC in the 2023/2024 season. We need much better than those we got in the last portal.

I can't wait to see the 2 juco guys he's signed. We'll see if he can evaluate on these guys. With the portal, there's no reason to reach on juco/HS guys, so I'm assuming jans really likes these guys

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 06:21 PM
I can't wait to see the 2 juco guys he's signed. We'll see if he can evaluate on these guys. With the portal, there's no reason to reach on juco/HS guys, so I'm assuming jans really likes these guys

Exactly, unless both the JUCO guys are can't miss I just don't see a reason to recruit JUCO players to the SEC as heavy as Jans does with the portal the way it is... Jans said it before that he likes to recruit JUCO players, he did it alot at NMSU.

NCMSTFAN
04-08-2023, 06:27 PM

I was curious to see where these two JUCO guys are ranked nationally on the JUCO level and they are both top 10 players so Jans may have done good there, I guess we will have to see if it translates to the SEC

https://theresourcenexus.com/juco/

ZedFedder
04-08-2023, 06:28 PM
I think Fort is about to be legit.

msstate7
04-08-2023, 06:47 PM
I think Fort is about to be legit.

Let's dream on it...

Davis/Hubbard
Moore
Fort
Cam
Tolu

If fort is a legit scorer, that's a nice lineup

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2023, 07:18 PM
Let's dream on it...

Davis/Hubbard
Moore
Fort
Cam
Tolu

If fort is a legit scorer, that's a nice lineup

Or a better lineup:

Rams
Moore
Fort
DJ
Tolu

2nd Group

Hubbard
Jones
Transfer
Cam
Mcnair/Transfer

msstate7
04-08-2023, 07:20 PM
Or a better lineup:

Rams
Moore
Fort
DJ
Tolu

2nd Group

Hubbard
Jones
Transfer
Cam
Mcnair/Transfer

I'm fine with dj being back. I just don't want dj and cam on court together unless we playing D for a big stop

StarkVegasSteve
04-08-2023, 07:21 PM
I'm fine with dj being back. I just don't want dj and cam on court together unless we playing D for a big stop

Agreed. They don't need to sniff the floor at the same time much less be on it together.

Thick
04-08-2023, 08:44 PM

10.4 ppg
3.4 asp
1.7 steals/game

I agree with you!

Rawdawg
04-09-2023, 09:22 AM
Hamilton has already entered the portal and I don?t expect Russell and McNair back but I expect Davis, Tolu, Shak, DJ, Cam, and Jones back. Stevenson and Reed don?t have any eligibility left. We?ve signed 5 guys so that puts us at 11 scholarships. 2 portal additions is all the scholarships we have.

msstate7
04-09-2023, 10:22 AM
Speaking of jones... I actually think he could have some serious helium going into next season.

msstate7
04-10-2023, 06:35 PM
OM pulled a 4-star transfer today. Anyone that doesn't think beard is gonna be a problem is fooling themself

Cowbell
04-10-2023, 07:04 PM
OM pulled a 4-star transfer today. Anyone that doesn't think beard is gonna be a problem is fooling themself

I'm glad they hired him because he is an easy guy to not like

msstate7
04-10-2023, 07:07 PM

Haha, that's true

msugolf
04-10-2023, 07:13 PM

Likewise. I?m sure he will win but I really dont care tbh. Everyone in the country will ridicule and hate them for having Beard as a HC and that will drive OM fans crazy, especially since their self worth is solely dependent on what other people think of them

EdwardDrayton
04-10-2023, 07:21 PM

A Tale of Two Chris's. I'm bettin' on the one we have.

msstate7
04-10-2023, 07:35 PM
A Tale of Two Chris's. I'm bettin' on the one we have.

Both are good. I'm betting on the one that gets the most talent... hopefully that's jans

Quaoarsking
04-10-2023, 07:47 PM

He may win in the short term, but a guy who leaves bruises and bite marks all over his girlfriend is unlikely to be mentally stable enough to stay out of trouble longterm.

EdwardDrayton
04-10-2023, 07:49 PM
He may win in the short term, but a guy who leaves bruises and bite marks all over his girlfriend is unlikely to be mentally stable enough to stay out of trouble longterm.

^^^^^^^

msstate7
04-10-2023, 07:54 PM

I expect him to win at OM while cleaning up reputation, and then move to a bigger program

EdwardDrayton
04-10-2023, 08:00 PM
I expect him to win at OM while cleaning up reputation, and then move to a bigger program

That would make a nice Hallmark movie. :)

NCMSTFAN
04-11-2023, 12:33 PM

Oh Beard is definitely going to make Ole Miss a better basketball program, I watched some of his Texas Tech teams and they were good. The guy can coach and recruit no matter how people feel about him.

NCMSTFAN
04-11-2023, 12:35 PM
Ummm, Jans had some off the court issues involving woman himself so we can't really judge Beard too much. They both can coach, I think Beard can recruit a little better as of now.

Lord McBuckethead
04-11-2023, 01:39 PM
Bring Stansbury home and give him a duffle bag.

SteelCurtain74
04-11-2023, 02:12 PM
Ummm, Jans had some off the court issues involving woman himself so we can't really judge Beard too much. They both can coach, I think Beard can recruit a little better as of now.

Umm, yes we can most certainly judge Beard. Hubbard apparently judged the situation and said "No Thanks ". To even consider comparing Jans' transgressions with Beard's is laughable. Not to mention Jans' incident happened in 2015 and he wasn't immediately offered a Power 5 job. He had to work his way back to that opportunity. Jans has shown contrition and has not had another issue since. Beard, on the other hand, gets the immediate opportunity to make millions all the while being an example and leader of young men. Hell of an example to put in front of these kids. Let's see how that plays out.

StarkVegasSteve
04-11-2023, 02:36 PM

Jans grabbed a girl's ass when he was drunk at a bar. Beard beat his fiancee's ass. They're not remotely the same situation.

EdwardDrayton
04-11-2023, 04:16 PM
Jans grabbed a girl's ass when he was drunk at a bar. Beard beat his fiancee's ass. They're not remotely the same situation.

Including choking and biting her. That is some whole other level stuff.

NCMSTFAN
04-11-2023, 09:52 PM
Umm, yes we can most certainly judge Beard. Hubbard apparently judged the situation and said "No Thanks ". To even consider comparing Jans' transgressions with Beard's is laughable. Not to mention Jans' incident happened in 2015 and he wasn't immediately offered a Power 5 job. He had to work his way back to that opportunity. Jans has shown contrition and has not had another issue since. Beard, on the other hand, gets the immediate opportunity to make millions all the while being an example and leader of young men. Hell of an example to put in front of these kids. Let's see how that plays out.

Laughable? You're moving the goal post to support your argument. I never compared their transgressions on who'swas worse, I simply stated that Jans came in with an off the court negative situation too that caused him to miss out on big head coaching jobs. It's just facts, it's all on Google just like Beards situation is. I'm not condoning either situation, they were both wrong..... Back to the coaching, Beard can recruit and coach, he got Texas Tech to the National Championship game and recruited a bunch of 4 star guys to that program.. took over Texas and got them a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys and was on his way to a great season until he made the dumb decision.

I'm not one of those State fans that won't speak the truth about where we sit vs. Where Ole Miss sits, and speaking only from a coaching and recruiting standpoint Beard has an edge on Jans in the recruiting department as of now... Jans has the chance to correct it though, there are a ton of great players out there but time is ticking away.

NCMSTFAN
04-11-2023, 09:53 PM

See above

StarkVegasSteve
04-11-2023, 10:10 PM
Laughable? You're moving the goal post to support your argument. I never compared their transgressions on who'swas worse, I simply stated that Jans came in with an off the court negative situation too that caused him to miss out on big head coaching jobs. It's just facts, it's all on Google just like Beards situation is. I'm not condoning either situation, they were both wrong..... Back to the coaching, Beard can recruit and coach, he got Texas Tech to the National Championship game and recruited a bunch of 4 star guys to that program.. took over Texas and got them a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys and was on his way to a great season until he made the dumb decision.

I'm not one of those State fans that won't speak the truth about where we sit vs. Where Ole Miss sits, and speaking only from a coaching and recruiting standpoint Beard has an edge on Jans in the recruiting department as of now... Jans has the chance to correct it though, there are a ton of great players out there but time is ticking away.

We have two spots. You're acting like we're like OM with 7. Again TWO SPOTS. We have to be picky. We'll be fine. Funny story, I was at The Final Four and all the coaches there for the convention were talking about a coach in Mississippi. You want to guess who it was? Hint, it wasn't Chris Beard. Chris Jans is 10x more highly thought of in the coaching profession than Beard. He was more highly thought before the BG incident and was more highly thought of after because of what he and Gregg Marshall did at Wichita. So your opinion may be that Beard is a better coach. That opinion is not shared by a majority of college basketball coaches.

Quaoarsking
04-12-2023, 12:24 AM
Laughable? You're moving the goal post to support your argument. I never compared their transgressions on who'swas worse, I simply stated that Jans came in with an off the court negative situation too that caused him to miss out on big head coaching jobs. It's just facts, it's all on Google just like Beards situation is. I'm not condoning either situation, they were both wrong..... Back to the coaching, Beard can recruit and coach, he got Texas Tech to the National Championship game and recruited a bunch of 4 star guys to that program.. took over Texas and got them a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys and was on his way to a great season until he made the dumb decision. \

Why wouldn't you though? Compare it. Beating the shit out of a woman is literally 10,000,000 times worse than getting a little too handsy with one. And it wasn't even the women in the bar who complained about Jans, it was a self-imposter booster with an axe to grind.

Like yes, it was wrong of him to disrespect his wife by flirting with other women, and it was extremely unprofessional behavior for a highly-paid leader and all that, but to say we can't judge Beard because of Jans is laughable. All wrongs aren't equal, and it's ridiculous to just shrug it off with a "well they both had a situation where they were wrong" as if they are.

NCMSTFAN
04-12-2023, 12:28 AM
We have two spots. You're acting like we're like OM with 7. Again TWO SPOTS. We have to be picky. We'll be fine. Funny story, I was at The Final Four and all the coaches there for the convention were talking about a coach in Mississippi. You want to guess who it was? Hint, it wasn't Chris Beard. Chris Jans is 10x more highly thought of in the coaching profession than Beard. He was more highly thought before the BG incident and was more highly thought of after because of what he and Gregg Marshall did at Wichita. So your opinion may be that Beard is a better coach. That opinion is not shared by a majority of college basketball coaches.

If you go back and read I said that they are both good coaches but the Beard edges Jans out in recruiting, those were my words. Beard is currently more decorated than Jans, he's won on a higher level. That doesn't mean Jans can't catch him. And I get that we only have 1 or 2 available spots unless someone else leaves... but Jans can't fill those remaining spots with guys like Reed, Horton, Jones. We really need to go get a bona-fide scorer or two because that's what we lacked badly this season. Hubbard should help in that department but it's always tough counting on a Freshman

NCMSTFAN
04-12-2023, 12:39 AM
Why wouldn't you though? Compare it. Beating the shit out of a woman is literally 10,000,000 times worse than getting a little too handsy with one. And it wasn't even the women in the bar who complained about Jans, it was a self-imposter booster with an axe to grind.

Like yes, it was wrong of him to disrespect his wife by flirting with other women, and it was extremely unprofessional behavior for a highly-paid leader and all that, but to say we can't judge Beard because of Jans is laughable. All wrongs aren't equal, and it's ridiculous to just shrug it off with a "well they both had a situation where they were wrong" as if they are.

They were both fired from their respective schools for off the court incidents involving women. Some would call Jans a pervert and classless for being sloppy drunk in public and grabbing on womens asses, the report said eye witnesses said Jans was sloppy drunk and making inappropriate advances towards several women, hell one of the encounters was on video.. if your daughter was one of those women you might feel it was just as bad as what Beard allegedly did.. I have a daughter so Id be ready to kill the guy...Bomani Jones called him out when it happened and basically said Jans ruined his career over it, luckily Jans got back on his feet and I'm glad he's our coach, we all make mistakes.

I'm not defending Beard or Jans but how are we bashing their coach when our coach has a past too?

Quaoarsking
04-12-2023, 12:53 AM
They were both fired from their respective schools for off the court incidents involving women. Some would call Jans a pervert and classless for being sloppy drunk in public and grabbing on womens asses, the report said eye witnesses said Jans was sloppy drunk and making inappropriate advances towards several women, hell one of the encounters was on video.. if your daughter was one of those women you might feel it was just as bad as what Beard allegedly did.. I have a daughter so Id be ready to kill the guy...Bomani Jones called him out when it happened and basically said Jans ruined his career over it, luckily Jans got back on his feet and I'm glad he's our coach, we all make mistakes.

I'm not defending Beard or Jans but how are we bashing their coach when our coach has a past too?

... because not all wrongs are equivalent. You can't just take two wildly different events and shrug it off like "they both have a past."

I have a young daughter myself. If one day she marries a man who disrespects her one time like Jans did, I would be mad at him but I think i could eventually move on if she does (and like the Janses apparently have). If one day she marries a man who disrespects her like Beard did, he would need a restraining order against me for his own protection.

NCMSTFAN
04-12-2023, 01:06 AM
... because not all wrongs are equivalent. You can't just take two wildly different events and shrug it off like "they both have a past."

I have a young daughter myself. If one day she marries a man who disrespects her one time like Jans did, I would be mad at him but I think i could eventually move on if she does (and like the Janses apparently have). If one day she marries a man who disrespects her like Beard did, he would need a restraining order against me for his own protection.

I'm not understanding your obsession with comparing what both did. Obviously what Beard was accused of doing was foolish and wrong, it got dropped, he was able to get another job, the NCAA's didn't ban him, good for him. Jans got punished, got a new job at NMSU moved on to us, good for him. They were both dumb for their situations but again they both got fired and moved on, There's really nothing else to say on it. Your trying to make it about what thing was worse but both were dumb as hell

Quaoarsking
04-12-2023, 07:02 AM
I'm not understanding your obsession with comparing what both did. Obviously what Beard was accused of doing was foolish and wrong, it got dropped, he was able to get another job, the NCAA's didn't ban him, good for him. Jans got punished, got a new job at NMSU moved on to us, good for him. They were both dumb for their situations but again they both got fired and moved on, There's really nothing else to say on it. Your trying to make it about what thing was worse but both were dumb as hell

Agreed that a married man getting consensually handsy with women in a bar is "dumb as hell" but beating the shit out of a woman goes way beyond "dumb as hell."

It's not "obsession" to point out the objective fact that one of these is so much worse than the other.

Pancho
04-12-2023, 07:23 AM
Beard is totally accepted on the plantation. They only care about perception and thoughts of winning.

NCMSTFAN
04-12-2023, 07:40 AM
Agreed that a married man getting consensually handsy with women in a bar is "dumb as hell" but beating the shit out of a woman goes way beyond "dumb as hell."

It's not "obsession" to point out the objective fact that one of these is so much worse than the other.

I completely disagree that one is much worse than the other, beating the hell out of your wife is absolutely bad but it was dropped for whatever reason. A married man drunk in a bar and grabbing women's asses, especially if it was unwanted, really isn't that far off and is a form of sexual harassment. Here was a snippet of what Jans did allegedly:

"On one occasion he grabbed a woman's head and pushed it downward towards his crotch," the alumnus told Kingston in the correspondence, obtained by The Huffington Post. Later, "he made advances toward another female, petted her backside and proceeded to ask/tell her to walk in front of him so that he could evaluate her assets." In the three-page letter, Kingston notes Jans admitted touching two women "in a way that attracted public attention." (According to the letter, Jans said he pulled a woman's head toward his body.)

I think its completely ridiculous for any of our fans to bash Beard but not Jans when both of them were dumb for their actions, I just don't understand why you want to keep comparing which was worse when both were stupid and both were fired.

Pancho
04-12-2023, 07:43 AM
I say you should simply drop the conversation.

Tripp McNeely
04-12-2023, 08:04 AM
Can we get back to talking about who were after in the portal? That was actually an interesting conversation!

StarkVegasSteve
04-12-2023, 08:17 AM
Can we get back to talking about who were after in the portal? That was actually an interesting conversation!

Getting back on point, Reeves committing to Ga Tech was a bit of a shock so I think that reset the board a bit. A lot will depend on what Tolu does because if he leaves obviously we'll need a big. Otherwise we're trying to find a combo guard and a 3 and D type of player

NCMSTFAN
04-12-2023, 09:01 AM
I say you should simply drop the conversation.

I say you are correct, I shouldn't have gone that far down the rabbit hole on the subject

Anyways it sounds like we have 2 available spots open if no one else leaves, we were in the running for several players who have since committed elsewhere. We could use a pure scorer and a knock down shooter, preferably from high major programs who are used to the spotlight. Not sure about McNair yet but getting another solid big never hurts either, especially when injuries happen

PMDawg
04-12-2023, 09:07 AM
Delete

Tripp McNeely
04-12-2023, 10:01 AM
Getting back on point, Reeves committing to Ga Tech was a bit of a shock so I think that reset the board a bit. A lot will depend on what Tolu does because if he leaves obviously we'll need a big. Otherwise we're trying to find a combo guard and a 3 and D type of player

I don't think we were ready to take Reeves until we know what DJ is 100% doing

StarkVegasSteve
04-12-2023, 10:49 AM
I don't think we were ready to take Reeves until we know what DJ is 100% doing

Yea that's probably true. DJ needs to go ahead and make a decision though and if he's undecided we've got to move forward on the assumption that he won't be back. We can't be held hostage by players with this stuff. We need to be proactive at a certain point. I don't mind giving them a week or two, but any longer than that and we need to go ahead and move on. No player is bigger than the program.

PGHBulldogBG
04-13-2023, 08:52 AM
I have always been a huge Jans fan since we hired him and I still think he is a home run hire and will do great things at State. At the same time, nobody can argue the fact that Beard has performed on a much higher level to date. That does not mean Jans can’t do the same thing after a few years of developing a program. Beards incident carries a much higher baggage level though and much more criticism amongst the sports world. The thing people fail to realize is that schools no longer care about that stuff. If that was the case, Freeze would not be coaching at Auburn and people would not be trying to rumor Art Briles for jobs.

Thick
04-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Yeah but in Beard?s case the charges were dropped, so you have to take that into consideration. In Freeze?s case, outside of the cheating which Pearl was doing at UT, no criminal charges were filed. Everybody ?cheats?, but if there were criminal charges filed and they went to court that?s different. We hired JWS, and he had NCAA baggage. I get what you?re saying, but I think if Beard went to court I?m not sure OM hires him.

StarkVegasSteve
04-13-2023, 01:36 PM
I have always been a huge Jans fan since we hired him and I still think he is a home run hire and will do great things at State. At the same time, nobody can argue the fact that Beard has performed on a much higher level to date. That does not mean Jans can?t do the same thing after a few years of developing a program. Beards incident carries a much higher baggage level though and much more criticism amongst the sports world. The thing people fail to realize is that schools no longer care about that stuff. If that was the case, Freeze would not be coaching at Auburn and people would not be trying to rumor Art Briles for jobs.

That's Art and Kendall's representation starting every last one of those rumors. Right when Kendall was hired out here at TCU I had heard some rumors that some were trying to push for Briles to get an off field consulting role. The next day that guy told me that you would've thought they were trying to hire Ted Bundy with the backlash they were getting.....and TCU is private. Briles got caught up in all the Me Too stuff and it sank him. I'd hire Art tomorrow if the baggage didn't exist. He's one of the brightest offensive minds in football, but no athletic dept is ready for the shitstorm that will be unloaded on them when you pull the trigger on that.

Really Clark?
04-13-2023, 01:39 PM
That's Art and Kendall's representation starting every last one of those rumors. Right when Kendall was hired out here at TCU I had heard some rumors that some were trying to push for Briles to get an off field consulting role. The next day that guy told me that you would've thought they were trying to hire Ted Bundy with the backlash they were getting.....and TCU is private. Briles got caught up in all the Me Too stuff and it sank him. I'd hire Art tomorrow if the baggage didn't exist. He's one of the brightest offensive minds in football, but no athletic dept is ready for the shitstorm that will be unloaded on them when you pull the trigger on that.

Yep, even Grambling couldn't withstand it. He may always be too toxic at this point.

NCMSTFAN
04-13-2023, 01:57 PM
I have always been a huge Jans fan since we hired him and I still think he is a home run hire and will do great things at State. At the same time, nobody can argue the fact that Beard has performed on a much higher level to date. That does not mean Jans can’t do the same thing after a few years of developing a program. Beards incident carries a much higher baggage level though and much more criticism amongst the sports world. The thing people fail to realize is that schools no longer care about that stuff. If that was the case, Freeze would not be coaching at Auburn and people would not be trying to rumor Art Briles for jobs.

Good post, I agree completely

msstate7
04-13-2023, 02:01 PM
So are gonna get a transfer or roll it back with last year's team plus signees?

NCMSTFAN
04-13-2023, 04:11 PM
So are gonna get a transfer or roll it back with last year's team plus signees?

We signed 3 high school guys and 2 Juco players so I think we still have 2 spots available depending on what Tolu and McNair do, it may be more.

I hope Jans goes and gets a proven scorer or two out of the portal

NCMSTFAN
04-27-2023, 12:27 PM
Any word on filling our remaining 2/3 spots yet? I see alot of good players we were on committing elsewhere.

People got mad the last time I brought up Beard and his recruiting at Ole Miss but he just got Jamarion Sharp from Western Kentucky out of the portal. For people unfamiliar with him he is 7'5" but can move, he is a game changer defensively averaging over 4 blocks a game

I know we don't have a ton of spots open but we need to fill the open ones with talent. Waiting on Tolu's decision isn't helping much either

msstate7
04-27-2023, 12:36 PM
Any word on filling our remaining 2/3 spots yet? I see alot of good players we were on committing elsewhere.

People got mad the last time I brought up Beard and his recruiting at Ole Miss but he just got Jamarion Sharp from Western Kentucky out of the portal. For people unfamiliar with him he is 7'5" but can move, he is a game changer defensively averaging over 4 blocks a game

I know we don't have a ton of spots open but we need to fill the open ones with talent. Waiting on Tolu's decision isn't helping much either

Beard has got 3 4-star transfers now. Jans better step up...

civildawg
04-27-2023, 12:55 PM
May not have wanted to come back but I really wished we could have got Stans back as an assistant to help Jans with recruiting

NCMSTFAN
04-27-2023, 01:48 PM
Beard has got 3 4-star transfers now. Jans better step up...

Exactly, I think Beard and Jans can both coach really well but Beard is a really good recruiter and Jans scares me in that area.

NCMSTFAN
04-27-2023, 01:49 PM
May not have wanted to come back but I really wished we could have got Stans back as an assistant to help Jans with recruiting

Stans is a heck of a recruiter himself but would he come back to work under someone else after being HC at State?

PGHBulldogBG
04-27-2023, 02:28 PM
I would love for Stans to be a recruiting coordinator for Jans but just make his job solely off the court. And pay Stans well to do it. I wouldn’t want him infecting Jans ability to floor coach though

StarkVegasSteve
04-27-2023, 02:40 PM
Stans is a heck of a recruiter himself but would he come back to work under someone else after being HC at State?

Doesn't matter now. He's off to Memphis

ZedFedder
04-27-2023, 03:07 PM
The transfers Beard has gotten are solid, but I don?t think they are elite.

NCMSTFAN
04-27-2023, 03:14 PM
Doesn't matter now. He's off to Memphis
Wow, I didn't know that.. he will help them

NCMSTFAN
04-27-2023, 03:23 PM
The transfers Beard has gotten are solid, but I don?t think they are elite.

Agree they aren't elite but they are better than the Jamel Horton, DeShawn Davis, Eric Reed, Will Mcnair types. I'd take four high major 4 star players anyday.

I'm just worried Jans is going to wait too late like last year and we end up getting the leftover portal guys. As of now unless one of these JUCO guys he is bringing in are really good, we are still very limited offensively, especially at the guard positions.

ZedFedder
04-27-2023, 03:39 PM
Agree they aren't elite but they are better than the Jamel Horton, DeShawn Davis, Eric Reed, Will Mcnair types. I'd take four high major 4 star players anyday.

I'm just worried Jans is going to wait too late like last year and we end up getting the leftover portal guys. As of now unless one of these JUCO guys he is bringing in are really good, we are still very limited offensively, especially at the guard positions.

I agree with you there. I think Davis was a good get, and McNair was way better than I thought he would be.

EdwardDrayton
04-27-2023, 05:18 PM
What's the deadline for portal players to choose a new school, May 15th? Time is winding down and we need proven scorers at the D1 level. It's becoming a concern.

NCMSTFAN
04-27-2023, 06:28 PM
What's the deadline for portal players to choose a new school, May 15th? Time is winding down and we need proven scorers at the D1 level. It's becoming a concern.

May 11th is the deadline to withdraw so we have about 2 weeks. I agree its somewhat concerning especially seeing alot of our top targets are committing elsewhere