PDA

View Full Version : Our recruiting philosophy

msstate7
03-26-2023, 10:01 AM
Let me preface this by saying I'm seeing red.

It seems to me that we build a team like we're building an mlb farm system...

This pitcher has great spin rate on his fastball, but he can't locate it.

This catcher has great pop time, but he can't catch the ball.

This guy can hit, but he can't field for crap.

None of these traits are bad to look for. They're actually great to look for, but there's too many "buts" that follow the good trait. Seems we'd be better off doing taking the pitcher that has less spin rate, but great command. The catcher that doesn't have great pop time, but can keeps the ball in front of him. Look for more all around players than DHs.

Our philosophy is exactly what you want in minor leagues where results mean nothing, but the games count here.

Again, I could be just mad and seeing things that aren't there.

Todd4State
03-26-2023, 10:20 AM
There is a misconception that MLB just draft players and throw them against the wall and see what sticks.

Our problem is we don't develop our pitchers. It's one size fits Foxhall. How do you explain guys like Tyler Davis and Andrew Walling that never had problems throwing strikes at other places and then they melt down here?

parabrave
03-26-2023, 11:07 AM
It should be simple/ Can you throw strikes? Can you catch the ball and can you throw the ball to 1st base?

BeardoMSU
03-26-2023, 11:25 AM
There is a misconception that MLB just draft players and throw them against the wall and see what sticks.

Our problem is we don't develop our pitchers. It's one size fits Foxhall. How do you explain guys like Tyler Davis and Andrew Walling that never had problems throwing strikes at other places and then they melt down here?

What is it that Fox does, then? How does his philosophy ruin guys like that?

smootness
03-26-2023, 11:25 AM

Well, there?s some truth in it. Obviously it?s more nuanced than that, but they?re looking for upside and ceiling in a lot of cases, in addition to the likelihood someone actually hits that ceiling. And they have time on their side. They draft guys knowing they won?t even see them for at least 2-3 years, for the high school guys at least.

There is some truth to 7?s point. MLB is looking at a guy and saying, he has great quickness, hand speed, and raw power, and if he can develop his swing to give him more consistent contact, we?ll have a superstar. Or, he makes great contact and if he adds some loft, he can be a superstar. Well, we don?t have that kind of time. It?s better for us to get a kid without great quickness or raw power but who already has some bat-to-ball skills, or a guy who won?t ever hit 95+ on his fastball but who knows how to command and has more than 1 good pitch. We need guys who can have success pretty quickly on the college level, not guys who may be MLB studs at age 26.

Offshore Dawg
03-26-2023, 12:31 PM
It should be simple/ Can you throw strikes? Can you catch the ball and can you throw the ball to 1st base?

Accomplish any of those would be a massive improvement.

BuckyIsAB****
03-26-2023, 01:55 PM
We have hitters that have good exit velos but cant hit. We have catchers that cant catch. Pitchers that cant throw strikes and fielders that when they actually look like they give a crap, cant field. This is an abomination

99jc
03-26-2023, 02:58 PM
We have hitters that have good exit velos but cant hit. We have catchers that cant catch. Pitchers that cant throw strikes and fielders that when they actually look like they give a crap, cant field. This is an abomination

and a coach that can't coach

Leeshouldveflanked
03-26-2023, 03:49 PM
One of the keys to baseball is be strong up the middle. We haven?t been strong up the middle since Mangum left.

CaptainObvious
03-27-2023, 09:21 AM
Let?s find out what Tennessee, LSU, Florida and Arkansas recruiting philosophy is and model after those!

KB21
03-27-2023, 09:57 AM
Thing is, as a pitcher, if you can spin it, have velocity, and can locate it, then you aren't playing college ball. There has to be some development. Paul Skenes wasn't what he is now when he was a freshman at Air Force.

KB21
03-27-2023, 10:00 AM
https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/other-sports/2022/06/09/frank-anderson-tennessee-baseball-pitching-coach-college-world-series-2022-notre-dame-super-regional/7510092001/

“His mindset is you have nasty stuff with your pitches,” said Chad Dallas, Tennessee’s ace in 2020 and 2021. “So throw them in the zone and you will get outs. Hitting is very hard."

We have guys who have nasty stuff, and I'm not sure why we are trying to get hitters to chase stuff off the plate early in the count.

confucius say
03-27-2023, 10:19 AM
Thing is, as a pitcher, if you can spin it, have velocity, and can locate it, then you aren't playing college ball. There has to be some development. Paul Skenes wasn't what he is now when he was a freshman at Air Force.

Skenes wasn't what he is now last year. He was 94-95 last year and is 99-101 now.

msstate7
03-27-2023, 10:20 AM
Skenes wasn't what he is now last year. He was 94-95 last year and is 99-101 now.

How in the world is that even possible?

sandjunky
03-27-2023, 10:21 AM
Wes Johnson

I?ve seen 3-5 mph jumps just with simple mechanical adjustments

KB21
03-27-2023, 10:22 AM
Wes Johnson

I?ve seen 3-5 mph jumps just with simple mechanical adjustments

Skenes has probably worked with the Driveline folks as well.

HoopsDawg
03-27-2023, 10:23 AM

He said his recovery is much better not having to get up at 6:30 every morning. Then Wes Johnson. And just getting older and stronger. And better nutrition.

confucius say
03-27-2023, 10:27 AM

Great question. Reading the scout on him from SI last year it says mid 90s. Now he's hitting 99 in the 7th inning.

msstate7
03-27-2023, 10:29 AM
Great question. Reading the scout on him from SI last year it says mid 90s. Now he's hitting 99 in the 7th inning.

Increased velocity and increased endurance. Anyone got weight from last year vs this year? Yeah, I'm always skeptical of natural progressive that sharp

confucius say
03-27-2023, 10:31 AM
Increased velocity and increased endurance. Anyone got weight from last year vs this year? Yeah, I'm always skeptical of natural progressive that sharp

Same

ETA 2021 Air Force roster says 235. LSU says 247

KB21
03-27-2023, 10:36 AM

It's definitely possible. I had a kid come see me several years ago. I treated him for a rhomboid strain, but he was interested in finding ways to increase his velocity. I got him hooked up with Tom House. He bumped his velo up by 7 mph and ended up getting a college scholarship.

msstate7
03-27-2023, 10:43 AM
It's definitely possible. I had a kid come see me several years ago. I treated him for a rhomboid strain, but he was interested in finding ways to increase his velocity. I got him hooked up with Tom House. He bumped his velo up by 7 mph and ended up getting a college scholarship.

Certainly it's possible. It's also possible, he got a little bit of help too though haha

confucius say
03-27-2023, 02:14 PM
Per a Retweet from Mike Rooney, his average fastball was 93.7 last year and is 98.0 this year.

Cooterpoot
03-27-2023, 02:22 PM
Too many projects with really raw skills and too many Juco pitchers. Too many guys from a "program" just because they're a part of that "program". Then, there's no developing the good ones. Pitching has been the worst of it but we're teaching hitters to take a ton of strikes and pull everything too. We need a total overhaul on the coaching side. And we're going to get it.

KB21
03-27-2023, 02:24 PM
This article is from 9 months ago: https://rubbingtherock.com/2022/06/01/clemson-baseball-initial-list-of-candidates-to-replace-lee-why-or-why-not/

Chris Lemonis — Head coach, Mississippi State

Seems like a reach one year removed from a National Championship, but things change quickly in the SEC, just ask Ed Orgeron.

He hit the nail on the head there. Things have changed that quickly.

Commercecomet24
03-27-2023, 02:31 PM
Certainly it's possible. It's also possible, he got a little bit of help too though haha

You'd be surprised what the driveline program can do for velo. Although true some may be getting chemical help, but driveline will increase velo dramatically.

Ginn went from 86mph to 95mph in 12 months.

State82
03-27-2023, 07:20 PM

Whoa!!

CoachT14
03-28-2023, 08:01 AM
You'd be surprised what the driveline program can do for velo. Although true some may be getting chemical help, but driveline will increase velo dramatically.

This. I've had guys make similar jumps using driveline. Their plyo care routine for warming up the arm is a daily staple for our guys.

StarkVegasSteve
03-28-2023, 08:55 AM
The Skenes jump is pretty cut and dried. He only has one thing to focus on at LSU. Baseball. Athletics is one of the many things you have to juggle at the Air Force Academy. Taking him out of that situation and placing him in a baseball only situation is like taking Tyson from Brooklyn and placing him with Cus D’Amato in the Catskills. It unleashed a fire because boxing was the only thing that mattered and the only worry he had.

Pancho
03-28-2023, 09:37 AM
This. I've had guys make similar jumps using driveline. Their plyo care routine for warming up the arm is a daily staple for our guys.

I know a few HS coaches up here in north MS who use driveline/plyo and weighted balls as well. Most of their players do this in house and aren't paying through the nose, by the hour to reap the benefits. There is no doubt the daily warmup and recouping the arm are beneficial when done correctly.

DownwardDawg
03-28-2023, 09:56 AM

Yeah. He's a bad example. It's LSU. He's juicing