PDA

View Full Version : MSU Athletic Director

DownwardDawg
03-19-2023, 05:31 PM
Has he done anything since he's been here? What is the consensus on him? It seems we hired him and then I haven't heard a peep about since. His ass better be prepared to step up.

Ranchdawg
03-19-2023, 05:55 PM
I agree. He has been missing in action. No radio interviews that I know of. No speeches extolling his vision of our atheletics. No reaching out to the Alumni or fan base that I know of. I hope we didn?t hire a complete flop. He better step forward or he?s going to lose a large segment of the fan base with what is going on presently in baseball.

EdwardDrayton
03-19-2023, 06:02 PM
Think Zac has top notch listening skills; when he's ready he'll have something to say. The mark of a strong leader.

Coursesuper
03-19-2023, 06:02 PM
I agree. He has been missing in action. No radio interviews that I know of. No speeches extolling his vision of our atheletics. No reaching out to the Alumni or fan base that I know of. I hope we didn?t hire a complete flop. He better step forward or he?s going to lose a large segment of the fan base with what is going on presently in baseball.

Did it dawn on anyone that he just might be un17ing a mess? More to do than stand at the front door and grin and greet.

sandjunky
03-19-2023, 06:04 PM
Has he done anything since he's been here? What is the consensus on him? It seems we hired him and then I haven't heard a peep about since. His ass better be prepared to step up.

I?d hope he?s been in south bend

State82
03-19-2023, 06:09 PM
I heard him do a pretty long radio interview a few weeks ago. Really good.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 06:17 PM
The guy is sharp as a tack. Yeah he's done interviews and they're really good.

No BS Dawg
03-19-2023, 06:42 PM
Met him at a baseball game a few weeks back. I saw him in Palmeiro?s box and introduced myself. Immediately asked me to call him Zac. He asked where I was from, saw my wife and boys and introduced himself to them and talked to the boys. Introduced me to his wife and daughter sitting out with him. We talked for a good 5-10 minutes and he acted like he had known me for years. Very sharp and VERY happy to be at MSU. We got a good one, I?m not concerned with his lack of tv or radio time. He has lots on his plate and I want him handling all that. He now has a baseball issue to deal with too.

R2Dawg
03-19-2023, 06:44 PM
You aren't going to see or know everything a good AD is doing but they are always busy behind the scenes. I've heard at least one interview; it was good. I think we got a good one, guess we'll see soon.

schddog72
03-19-2023, 06:55 PM
Think Zac has top notch listening skills; when he's ready he'll have something to say. The mark of a strong leader.

This!!

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 06:59 PM
You aren't going to see or know everything a good AD is doing but they are always busy behind the scenes. I've heard at least one interview; it was good. I think we got a good one, guess we'll see soon.

This.

BeardoMSU
03-19-2023, 07:03 PM

This.

And this thread sucks ass.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 07:06 PM
This.

Zac is super impressive. We hit a hr with him. I'm excited about what he's bringing to our university

BeardoMSU
03-19-2023, 07:14 PM
Zac is super impressive. We hit a hr with him. I'm excited about what he's bringing to our university

Exactly.

LC Dawg
03-19-2023, 07:38 PM
I've had two VPs take over my department in the last 3 years. The first had all the answers on day one and began changing things immediately. He was gone in less than 2 years. The second told us on day one that he wasn't going to make any changes for at least 90 days. He is currently on his sixth months and making significant improvements.
Sometimes you have to learn a little about where you are before you can fully lead.

DownwardDawg
03-19-2023, 07:55 PM

That's good to know. I haven't heard a peep. That's why I asked. I hope he's as good or better than Byrne.

DownwardDawg
03-19-2023, 07:58 PM
This.

So what makes the thread suck ass? Just curious as to your thoughts. I just wanted to know what the board thinks about the guy.

State82
03-19-2023, 07:59 PM
Looks like Keenum did his homework on this one.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 08:36 PM
That's good to know. I haven't heard a peep. That's why I asked. I hope he's as good or better than Byrne.

I hear ya. I honestly believe he's gonna be a good one.

CaptainObvious
03-19-2023, 08:40 PM
Listening and Speaking are nice qualities for a Fundraiser and a Motivational Speaker.

Can the dude swing a heavy AXE? Because there are some trees that are going to need to be cleared to rebuild our Favorite NICHE program.

EdwardDrayton
03-19-2023, 08:48 PM
Listening and Speaking are nice qualities for a Fundraiser and a Motivational Speaker.

Can the dude swing a heavy AXE? Because there are some trees that are going to need to be cleared to rebuild our Favorite NICHE program.

Listening and knowing when to speak for most effective impact are critical skills in the everyday life of any leader.

Offshore Dawg
03-20-2023, 11:05 AM
I've had two VPs take over my department in the last 3 years. The first had all the answers on day one and began changing things immediately. He was gone in less than 2 years. The second told us on day one that he wasn't going to make any changes for at least 90 days. He is currently on his sixth months and making significant improvements.
Sometimes you have to learn a little about where you are before you can fully lead.

This all day every day ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Saltydog
03-20-2023, 11:13 AM
I heard him do a pretty long radio interview a few weeks ago. Really good.

Yeah, I met him recently and he's a super nice guy. I've actually heard a couple of interviews with him. Very articulate guy. Not sure how good he's doing on the job just yet. I think that remains to be seen but until then I'm behind him.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 11:22 AM
The interesting thing with ADs is that honestly unless they are on a playoff or tournament committee, you want as few people to know their name as possible. Because if your AD is in the news a bunch it generally means one of your programs is in bad shape.

was21
03-20-2023, 12:43 PM

Speaking of Byrne, hardly ever hear anything from him either, and he seems to be doing a pretty good job.

RockyDog
03-20-2023, 02:04 PM

Hopefully he?s spending time and effort on non club sports.

Schultzy
03-20-2023, 07:35 PM
I heard he wants one million dollars for NIL like right ****ing now.

CaptainObvious
03-20-2023, 10:44 PM
Hopefully, he is starting to vet our next baseball coach while weeding out all of the NON-Baseball fans who follow Mississippi State by telling them to GTFO!

Jarius
03-21-2023, 09:20 AM

If you have not heard Selmon on the radio then you have not put much effort into finding him on the radio. He has been on Sportstalk Mississippi, Bo bounds, Hail State plus, and Thunder and Lightning with interviews. That’s just about every single place you could go and do an interview for MSU sports.

gtowndawg
03-21-2023, 09:23 AM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/YRuFixSNWFVcXaxpmX/200w.gif?cid=6c09b9523jmzwb9uvfcyu9w3lb4qthe5avnut pzt8z91nfg2&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

Cooterpoot
03-21-2023, 09:40 AM
He's not the attention whore Cohen was.

NWADAWG
03-21-2023, 10:37 AM

I hope and assume he is doing a lot in the background as well as the interviews he's done. Seems super impressive. I will confess my lack of knowledge of his history other than some locations he's been. Does anyone that knows him better have any insight on his experience and how he operates with hires? Just curious what the process might look like if Lemonis continues on same path. Either way, my first impression of him is he will do a good job with it.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-21-2023, 10:38 AM

But we really need at least 2M.

StarkVegasSteve
03-21-2023, 10:53 AM
I hope and assume he is doing a lot in the background as well as the interviews he's done. Seems super impressive. I will confess my lack of knowledge of his history other than some locations he's been. Does anyone that knows him better have any insight on his experience and how he operates with hires? Just curious what the process might look like if Lemonis continues on same path. Either way, my first impression of him is he will do a good job with it.

I mean he's never been in the big chair before. His experience at both OU and UNC was more on the fundraising side of things and the day to day business of an athletic dept. A bunch of big picture stuff. He's been under two great ADs in Joe Castiglione and Bubba Cunnigham who are some of the most well respected ADs in all of college athletics. It's hard to say what he's seeing with Lemonis. I doubt his feet have been in the same place long enough to really sit down and evaluate the program. That's probably not a popular answer, but this isn't John Cohen. He's not going to have the baseball knowledge of John Cohen or know the history like Stricklin. He's going to be a little bit more like Greg Byrne in the sense that he's a pair of fresh eyes on the product. I don't think he's Byrne because you could tell immediately that Byrne came in and was going to remake the athletic dept in his image. I don't think Selmon will go that route. Luckily for him, he doesn't have 30 years of catching up to do like Byrne did. He just needs to bring us into this decade with some stuff on the marketing side that Cohen just didn't have a clue on.

R2Dawg
03-21-2023, 11:59 AM
I mean he's never been in the big chair before. His experience at both OU and UNC was more on the fundraising side of things and the day to day business of an athletic dept. A bunch of big picture stuff. He's been under two great ADs in Joe Castiglione and Bubba Cunnigham who are some of the most well respected ADs in all of college athletics. It's hard to say what he's seeing with Lemonis. I doubt his feet have been in the same place long enough to really sit down and evaluate the program. That's probably not a popular answer, but this isn't John Cohen. He's not going to have the baseball knowledge of John Cohen or know the history like Stricklin. He's going to be a little bit more like Greg Byrne in the sense that he's a pair of fresh eyes on the product. I don't think he's Byrne because you could tell immediately that Byrne came in and was going to remake the athletic dept in his image. I don't think Selmon will go that route. Luckily for him, he doesn't have 30 years of catching up to do like Byrne did. He just needs to bring us into this decade with some stuff on the marketing side that Cohen just didn't have a clue on.

Agree on new AD. He will approach this differently.

Not sure what 30 year of catching up Byrne had to do. The biggest thing he did is not put up with the Croom mess any more and bring in Mullen.

StarkVegasSteve
03-21-2023, 12:04 PM
Agree on new AD. He will approach this differently.

Not sure what 30 year of catching up Byrne had to do. The biggest thing he did is not put up with the Croom mess any more and bring in Mullen.

Bringing us out of Templeton Desert. Had Larry still been the AD, Raffo would've been the baseball coach and I fully believe Croom would've gotten not one, but two more years. We just did stuff in an antiquated way. We also had no clue how to market or promote. Greg basically had to restart the marketing dept.

bobcat91
03-21-2023, 01:01 PM
He is being seen and heard by anyone who wants to take the time to find out. Most of the coaching staff is relatively stable unless Lemonis crashes this year then it gets interesting. My hope is he is talking to and meeting with everyone to get a feel of where we are at as a fan base and potential large scale donors. His priorities right now should be to be seen and heard by the fan base, start making moves as far as facility improvements and lining up a new era of NIL and fundraising. If he can nail the NIL and Fundraising he will surpass what everyone thinks Byrne did here. I'm hoping he is so successful that he becomes what we measure in every other AD