PDA

View Full Version : Todd's Crazy Baseball Thought of the Night

Todd4State
03-19-2023, 01:28 AM
What if we hired Wes Johnson as our head coach?

If nothing else that would weaken LSU and he would bring in someone from Dallas Baptist as our PC. Or we could maybe get Chris Young from the Phillies.

Then all we would have to do is get an elite hitting coach with scouting ties and then a really good catching coach.

Not drunk. Fired up from Team USA's win over Venezuela in the WBC.

TNDawg35
03-19-2023, 02:12 AM
No to Wes. Hell he already dismantled our pitching staff once with arm injuries. I just have a gut feeling we won’t be looking for a coach. I bet Foxhall gets the ax and then Lemonis gets another year or if we do fire him Gotro gets it, which I would hate. I want it wiped clean. I’m tired of having 3-4 hits a game and making pitchers look like Maddux.

I still say you make Vitello tell you no. He’s a douche until he has you too 5 every year and beating the brakes off people. The. He is the best thing ever. I want that swag his teams have. We just look bad. Like we don’t give a shit. I want the bat spikes, the mouthing, the **** you this is our house attitude. I want the teams attitude that come in here to play us. Believe it or not, I want that Ole Miss we are better than you and we know it attitude.

I don’t know much about the OK assistant everyone is raving about. Apparently he is something to look at.

I would also be perfectly fine with Burroughs. We have some good/decent talent. We just need someone to harness it. Foxhall/Lemon/Gotro ain’t it…

Whoever we hire/if we hire, can turn this around in no time with the portal. Look at LSU this year and Schloss last year. You just have to be the ass hole and tell current players to take a hike whether us fans like it or not… That is gonna include some kids we all like…

TNDawg35
03-19-2023, 02:16 AM
On another note? Could you imagine Vitello coming here, being down 1 in the bottom of the 9th, him going out arguing a call and getting tossed over something that was a bad call, ramping everybody up, and 14,000 people going crazy! How the hell could you not win a game after that.

Hell Lemon won?t even get off the bucket, let alone argue anything. Gotro can?t get off the chart he is writing stuff down on, and Foxhall is just ****ing lost?

Reunion Dog
03-19-2023, 03:55 AM
Go get Corbin. He will come. He LOVES State & Starkville .. It?s a no brainer.

TNDawg35
03-19-2023, 05:25 AM
I honestly think we would have a lot more options this time around than last. Would you wanna work for the person that used to have your job and is now gonna be your boss and is known to be a hothead? Everyone knew Cohen would meddle and give his opinion. Now whoever takes it would have it to themselves…

On a side note, I wonder if Cohen held Lemonis in check while he was here and now Lemonis just thinks he can do what he wants. We have talent on this team. They just aren’t coached worth a shit not act like they care… Makes one think…

R2Dawg
03-19-2023, 07:29 AM

If this is true, go get him.

R2Dawg
03-19-2023, 07:31 AM
On another note? Could you imagine Vitello coming here, being down 1 in the bottom of the 9th, him going out arguing a call and getting tossed over something that was a bad call, ramping everybody up, and 14,000 people going crazy! How the hell could you not win a game after that.

Hell Lemon won?t even get off the bucket, let alone argue anything. Gotro can?t get off the chart he is writing stuff down on, and Foxhall is just ****ing lost?

No to Vitello. He is a trash rep of our school. I don't want him near MSU.

basedog
03-19-2023, 07:51 AM
I have no clue who might be on our list as next HC, but no to V and Wes. Don't know much about Chris Young as a coach at the college level. But I might hire Cc24 and let him bring his son in as catcher coach. LOL

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 08:49 AM
I'm going to wait on my coach search. I wouldn't have Wes high on my list, but I'd talk to him.
People better realize now, baseball's top coaches rarely change jobs. So those talking Vitello etc, need to get a grip. It's not happening. We can get a Schloss type that's basically past his prime or we can get a first time hot shot or a lower level HC. Maybe a MLB related hire.
Our first time AD needs to be doing work now.

Homedawg
03-19-2023, 08:51 AM

He's not coming here....

Ranchdawg
03-19-2023, 08:57 AM
No to Gotro. His batting coaching drives me crazy. Apparently he refuses to teach to swing at anything in the bottom of the strike zone. He coaches to chop a batters swing causing ground outs. My biggest gripe with Gotro is coaching check swings. We check swing almost every pitch which causes batter to partially swing and thus causing strikes that don?t have to be strikes. Either swing the *%#+ bat or don?t swing.

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 09:28 AM
No to Gotro. His batting coaching drives me crazy. Apparently he refuses to teach to swing at anything in the bottom of the strike zone. He coaches to chop a batters swing causing ground outs. My biggest gripe with Gotro is coaching check swings. We check swing almost every pitch which causes batter to partially swing and thus causing strikes that don?t have to be strikes. Either swing the *%#+ bat or don?t swing.

He doesn't teach chopping..lol. Nobody teaches chopping at the ball. He doesn't coach check swings either. He just hasn't signed good hitters.

MaroonFlounder
03-19-2023, 09:36 AM
That’s actually a great idea, except for the fact that when he was here before as pitching coach, he ravaged our arms with a bunch of torn UCLs.

Pinto
03-19-2023, 09:36 AM
I?ll throw a name out for someone to work with catchers and hitters, Eli Whiteside. He backed up Buster Posey and won two rings with the Giants. He?s got the same competitive makeup as Will Clark. He stayed on after playing and was the bullpen coach for the Giants for several years before coming back home to New Albany. He works with their high school team now. Guy can coach and keeps a fire lit under peoples butts.

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 10:46 AM
That’s actually a great idea, except for the fact that when he was here before as pitching coach, he ravaged our arms with a bunch of torn UCLs.

That's across college baseball. It's the velo era. The guy was a very good MLB pitching coach.
Look at what's happened under Foxhall. And we baby the hell out of pitchers.

State82
03-19-2023, 10:57 AM
He's not coming here....

Some of the names being floated around in this thread are laughable. I just shake my head and smile. Vitello, McDonnell, Corbin, O'Connor, even Godwin. About as much chance of any of those as it is me getting it. Zero.

DownwardDawg
03-19-2023, 12:04 PM
That's across college baseball. It's the velo era. The guy was a very good MLB pitching coach.
Yes. Last year our pitching staff was decimated.

HoopsDawg
03-19-2023, 12:22 PM

We just did a national search and ended up with a guy from Indiana.

If we fire Lemo need to be prepared for Burroughs which I'm fine with.

State82
03-19-2023, 01:05 PM
I know this. We are in one helluva mess.

basedog
03-19-2023, 01:27 PM
Never seen a coach who felled as quickly as Lemonis. There is nothing fundamentally good about our baseball team. It’s amazing. I think now he want make the season.

SPMT
03-19-2023, 01:28 PM
Never seen a coach who felled as quickly as Lemonis. There is nothing fundamentally good about our baseball team. It’s amazing. I think now he want make the season.

Miracle if he does

dawgday166
03-19-2023, 02:18 PM
Hell ... give Cann another shot. Everyone else gets rehabilitated all the time after a few years in purgatory.

In football they usually go to the Saban school for coach rehabilitation first. Except in Freezus' case.

ETA: And what Freezus did was worse IMO than what Cann did. Cann just got obsessed with a good or great piece of tail. Embarrassing but ... many another man has done the same thing.

sandjunky
03-19-2023, 02:22 PM
Hell ... give Cann another shot. Everyone else gets rehabilitated all the time after a few years in purgatory.

In football they usually go to the Saban school for coach rehabilitation first. Except in Freezus' case.
I?d sign up for Cannizzaro

But I?d go
Wes Johnson HC
Cannizzaro hitting / recruiting coordinator

dawgday166
03-19-2023, 02:27 PM

But I?d go
Wes Johnson HC

We tend to want to portray the "holier than tho" perception of MSU. And there are things that are unforgivable in the realm of college sports. But I don't believe what Cann did falls into that category.

CaptainObvious
03-19-2023, 03:18 PM
Yep. You would think there has never been an asshole who successful at coaching sports. Only Choirboys and Alterboys are successful I guess. 👆subliminally mentions Saban, Woody Hayes, Billy Martin, Jim Harbaugh, Barry Switzer, Bill Belichik, et al. Oops? forgot to add Mike Ditka and Hugh Freeze!

tcdog70
03-19-2023, 05:43 PM
Get Butch or Lane and let’s go.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 05:58 PM
I have no clue who might be on our list as next HC, but no to V and Wes. Don't know much about Chris Young as a coach at the college level. But I might hire Cc24 and let him bring his son in as catcher coach. LOL

I could save the school a ton of money lol, they wouldn't have to pay me near as much.

ETA I could put my son back there today and the passed balls would go away. With that torn labrum though he's not throwing anyone out right now but he'll block every thing and steal a bunch of strikes lol.

sandjunky
03-19-2023, 06:36 PM
I could save the school a ton of money lol, they wouldn't have to pay me near as much.

ETA I could put my son back there today and the passed balls would go away. With that torn labrum though he's not throwing anyone out right now but he'll block every thing and steal a bunch of strikes lol.
That?d be an improvement even with not being able to throw

Saltydog
03-19-2023, 07:32 PM
No to Wes. Hell he already dismantled our pitching staff once with arm injuries. I just have a gut feeling we won?t be looking for a coach. I bet Foxhall gets the ax and then Lemonis gets another year or if we do fire him Gotro gets it, which I would hate. I want it wiped clean. I?m tired of having 3-4 hits a game and making pitchers look like Maddux.

I still say you make Vitello tell you no. He?s a douche until he has you too 5 every year and beating the brakes off people. The. He is the best thing ever. I want that swag his teams have. We just look bad. Like we don?t give a shit. I want the bat spikes, the mouthing, the **** you this is our house attitude. I want the teams attitude that come in here to play us. Believe it or not, I want that Ole Miss we are better than you and we know it attitude.

I don?t know much about the OK assistant everyone is raving about. Apparently he is something to look at.

I would also be perfectly fine with Burroughs. We have some good/decent talent. We just need someone to harness it. Foxhall/Lemon/Gotro ain?t it?

Whoever we hire/if we hire, can turn this around in no time with the portal. Look at LSU this year and Schloss last year. You just have to be the ass hole and tell current players to take a hike whether us fans like it or not? That is gonna include some kids we all like?

I just don't get all this love for GoTro. Do I like him, yeah but why the heck does everyone think he's indispensable? Yeah, he's a good recruiter but the offense ain't exactly setting the woods on fire either.

Saltydog
03-19-2023, 07:35 PM
You left off the ******

Corbin's not leaving that gravy job and Nashville to come here. Ain't happening.......

Saltydog
03-19-2023, 07:39 PM
Realistically, these should be 1A and 1B........

SpaceBully
03-19-2023, 07:42 PM
Never seen a coach who felled as quickly as Lemonis. There is nothing fundamentally good about our baseball team. It?s amazing. I think now he want make the season.

It's mind boggling and it's little league fundamental stuff we're failing at. Do we even practice fundamentals during the fall and in practices? You really need to still practice the basic stuff to stay sharp and find out where the weak points in the chain are.

The Federalist Engineer
03-19-2023, 07:55 PM
Just sharing some facts- the average tenure of MLB pitching coaches is 2 years and 1.5 years for hitting coaches. An MLB pitching coach makes 450k.

Why fret so much about replacing Fox when really you could hire an MLB level coach on demand without changing the salary structure. It would probably draw recruits that MSU uses MLB coaches for pitching.

The move could be to Interim The Goat, get a Pro PC, and Cannizarro for hitting and recruiting.

Homedawg
03-19-2023, 08:40 PM

ETA: And what Freezus did was worse IMO than what Cann did. Cann just got obsessed with a good or great piece of tail. Embarrassing but ... many another man has done the same thing.

No no. Just hell no....

Really Clark?
03-19-2023, 08:56 PM
Cann has downward spiraled into being fired at a HS, y'all can't consider us a serious baseball program and honestly consider him a candidate at this point in his career.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 08:59 PM
Cann has downward spiraled into being fired at a HS, y'all can't consider us a serious baseball program and honestly consider him a candidate at this point in his career.

There's a reason he hasn't sniffed another college job. We can do better.

Really Clark?
03-19-2023, 09:01 PM

Agreed

dawgday166
03-19-2023, 09:06 PM

Ok ... didn't know all of that and would agree. Y'all carry on and find us a good coach then LOL.

Skydawg1
03-19-2023, 09:17 PM
CC24, can u give a hint of the reason? I did see where Holy Cross wanted to "go in another direction" and let Cann go, but it didn't sound like he was fired for any reason other than political. I would damn sure love for Cann to be involved in our recruiting.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 09:24 PM
Ok ... didn't know all of that and would agree. Y'all carry on and find us a good coach then LOL.

Man if you leave it to ED we can fix everything wrong at the university lol

sandjunky
03-19-2023, 09:31 PM

Not the daffodils! Only one person can do that

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 09:42 PM
Not the daffodils! Only one person can do that

Awesome!

Todd4State
03-19-2023, 09:44 PM

But I?d go
Wes Johnson HC

With Cohen as HC, Wes as PC, and Cann as HC- that would have been our best coaching staff ever.

Todd4State
03-19-2023, 09:45 PM

He's probably done with high school now too. At least in Louisiana.

smootness
03-19-2023, 09:46 PM
CC24, can u give a hint of the reason? I did see where Holy Cross wanted to "go in another direction" and let Cann go, but it didn't sound like he was fired for any reason other than political. I would damn sure love for Cann to be involved in our recruiting.

First, does it matter? He was fired in disgrace from State and now was fired from a HS program.

Second, he is the one who gave that quote, the school just said he was no longer employed as of that day. Never a good sign. And this was during the season, right before the playoffs. He is saving face.

Third, apparently it is because he threw a party for senior parents before a game, provided alcohol, and then some of those parents got in an actual fight during the game afterward.

Commercecomet24
03-19-2023, 09:56 PM
He's probably done with high school now too. At least in Louisiana.

Yeah I don't see ANY team from jr high on up chasing him with offers.

dawgday166
03-19-2023, 10:07 PM

I have noticed how well that has worked in the last, I dunno 10 or 12 years. I have extreme confidence ****

Skydawg1
03-19-2023, 10:12 PM
First, does it matter? He was fired in disgrace from State and now was fired from a HS program.

Second, he is the one who gave that quote, the school just said he was no longer employed as of that day. Never a good sign. And this was during the season, right before the playoffs. He is saving face.

Third, apparently it is because he threw a party for senior parents before a game, provided alcohol, and then some of those parents got in an actual fight during the game afterward.Thanks, I had not heard about #3.

Todd4State
03-19-2023, 11:26 PM

Third, apparently it is because he threw a party for senior parents before a game, provided alcohol, and then some of those parents got in an actual fight during the game afterward.

What I had heard was that Cann got into a fight with some parents after a game.

Hiring him was very controversial at Holy Cross because it's a Catholic school.