PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Coaching Hot Board

KOdawg1
03-18-2023, 05:53 PM
IF this team continues down the same path, it'll be time to make a move. IF that happens, who would you like to see us target?

Vitello won't happen and neither will McDonnell. So now that we've gotten those two out of the way.

-Cliff Godwin; makes $500K at ECU, so financially we could get him away. He regularly makes super regionals at a place that shouldn't be going to super regionals. He's one of my top guys.

-Butch Thompson; 4 years ago, this would've been laughable, but he's been to 2 CWS.

-Lane Burroughs; state guy. I think we can do better

-Tim Tadlock; highly unlikely but I'd give him a call

Who else?

Jacksondevildog
03-18-2023, 05:56 PM
I?d throw the bank at Godwin. He?s done a tremendous job at ECU and recruits at a high level.

No BS Dawg
03-18-2023, 06:07 PM
Selmon needs to start putting a list together NOW. This is unacceptable for MSU baseball. We have become the worst team in the SEC in less than 2 years removed from a NC. Completely unacceptable. There is no good reason, outside of coaching/recruiting (go hand in hand), that MSU baseball should be anywhere other than the top 15 in country year in and year out.

was21
03-18-2023, 06:59 PM
Godwin turned down the job at lsu...just thought that should be mentioned.

KOdawg1
03-18-2023, 07:03 PM
Godwin turned down the job at lsu...just thought that should be mentioned.

I doubt that he was actually offered the job.

He also "turned us down" back in 2018, but everyone with knowledge of situation said we never offered him the job either.

confucius say
03-18-2023, 07:06 PM
Selmon said won't have the benefit of a Rolodex of baseball coaches who he knows. Could just hire the Oklahoma assistant everyone raves about. Can't remember his name, but he runs their offense.

KOdawg1
03-18-2023, 07:13 PM
I would also give Brian O'Connor at UVA a call. He's been there forever, but the dude can coach and doesn't make that much

Skydawg1
03-18-2023, 07:14 PM
Selmon said won't have the benefit of a Rolodex of baseball coaches who he knows. Could just hire the Oklahoma assistant everyone raves about. Can't remember his name, but he runs their offense.Hard pass on that guy. His offense wasn't very impressive in last years' CWSCS.

Homedawg
03-18-2023, 07:17 PM
IF this team continues down the same path, it'll be time to make a move. IF that happens, who would you like to see us target?

Vitello won't happen and neither will McDonnell. So now that we've gotten those two out of the way.

-Cliff Godwin; makes $500K at ECU, so financially we could get him away. He regularly makes super regionals at a place that shouldn't be going to super regionals. He's one of my top guys.

-Butch Thompson; 4 years ago, this would've been laughable, but he's been to 2 CWS.

Who else?

Out of your list number one and 4 won't take it. Number 2 might. Might not. Lane would jump for sure. Even not making tourney, doubt lem gets fired this year. We shall see.

Homedawg
03-18-2023, 07:18 PM
I would also give Brian O'Connor at UVA a call. He's been there forever, but the dude can coach and doesn't make that much

He passed even taking to us last time. He missed ncaa tourney back to back 18-19. So he's not sustained being good either.

Really Clark?
03-18-2023, 07:19 PM
Selmon said won't have the benefit of a Rolodex of baseball coaches who he knows. Could just hire the Oklahoma assistant everyone raves about. Can't remember his name, but he runs their offense.

Reggie Willits

confucius say
03-18-2023, 07:21 PM
Cannizzaro is available.....

Todd4State
03-18-2023, 07:24 PM
I make an offer to Vitello to make him the highest paid coach in the country and make him say no.

If he does say no go after Lane Burroughs and get Ostrander from USM and call it a day.

Really Clark?
03-18-2023, 07:25 PM
Hard pass on that guy. His offense wasn't very impressive in last years' CWSCS.

What? They scored 24 runs prior to the championship series. Hard pass over 2 games?

KOdawg1
03-18-2023, 07:27 PM
I make an offer to Vitello to make him the highest paid coach in the country and make him say no.

If he does say no go after Lane Burroughs and get Ostrander from USM and call it a day.

I think this would be our most likely outcome.

I wouldn't hate it

SpaceBully
03-18-2023, 09:03 PM
What? They scored 24 runs prior to the championship series. Hard pass over 2 games?

It wasn't their offense. They just happened to run into a red hot Ole Miss team.

Saltydog
03-18-2023, 09:38 PM
Out of your list number one and 4 won't take it. Number 2 might. Might not. Lane would jump for sure. Even not making tourney, doubt lem gets fired this year. We shall see.

I don't see it happening either but at the rate this team is losing SEC games who knows. You've got a guy like Selmon who's probably never had that much say so in these things before. So, is he the kinda guy that is trying to put his stamp on something and blaze new trails or is he someone who's going to be timid to make the hard decisions at this point in his young career. I fully understand there are more people involved but he's going to feel the pressure either way.

ScottH
03-18-2023, 10:00 PM
Godwin isn't coming to Mississippi State. Period.

TNDawg35
03-18-2023, 10:10 PM

And wasn’t no one beating OM pitching in the series. They had the juice…

KOdawg1
03-18-2023, 10:11 PM
Godwin isn't coming to Mississippi State. Period.

Probably not. Still gonna throw him on the hot board

TNDawg35
03-18-2023, 10:12 PM
Whoever it is, you better believe Kendall Rogers knows already and will let us know “the full story” when time…***

Cooterpoot
03-18-2023, 10:15 PM
Burroughs with Ostrander would be solid. I'd have no complaints.

Quaoarsking
03-18-2023, 10:38 PM
Dan McDonnell is another name we should pursue, even if it's a longshot to actually get him.

In the last 9 years, Louisville has always been at or above .500 in the ACC, winning 8 Regionals and reaching Omaha 4 times.

BeardoMSU
03-18-2023, 11:24 PM
Dan McDonnell is another name we should pursue, even if it's a longshot to actually get him.

In the last 9 years, Louisville has always been at or above .500 in the ACC, winning 8 Regionals and reaching Omaha 4 times.

Lemonis is one of his besties. I really can't see him taking our job after we fire his boy, especially since he already turned us down the last time.

Todd4State
03-19-2023, 12:14 AM
Burroughs with Ostrander would be solid. I'd have no complaints.

The biggest thing with those two would be adding a staff member with MLB scouting connections. Those two would clean out Mississippi.

Todd4State
03-19-2023, 12:15 AM
Lemonis is one of his besties. I really can't see him taking our job after we fire his boy, especially since he already turned us down the last time.

I don't feel like we should bother with him. I mean- he's had opportunities to come here before and he's not going to do it.

Quaoarsking
03-19-2023, 12:21 AM
Sometimes it takes years for a coach and a program to finally pull the trigger on each other. (See Dan Mullen and Florida.)

I doubt McDonnell is our next coach, but we should definitely offer him a huge salary and see what happens.

Homedawg
03-19-2023, 08:46 AM

He said no once. We would have fired his best friends two years removed from a natty. Good luck

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 08:56 AM
Sometimes it takes years for a coach and a program to finally pull the trigger on each other. (See Dan Mullen and Florida.)

I doubt McDonnell is our next coach, but we should definitely offer him a huge salary and see what happens.

Why? He's not done anything lately. He's riding out that job to retirement. I'm fine with him doing that.

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 08:58 AM
The biggest thing with those two would be adding a staff member with MLB scouting connections. Those two would clean out Mississippi.

Here's the thing with that. Gotro has that, yet 6 of our 10 top 200 PG signees last three years have been pitchers. We've not signed many great hitters at all. It's not helped one bit.

Saltydog
03-19-2023, 09:33 AM

Who else?

Butch, all day. He was and is a heckuva pitching coach and had Cohen moved to AD one year earlier he likely would've been his successor. Great guy too. Been at Auburn 5 seasons now and has 2 CWS appearances. His Mom and family live in the Aberdeen area. This is literally home for him. He may not come, who knows but he's the guy we need.

basedog
03-19-2023, 09:47 AM
Butch, all day. He was and is a heckuva pitching coach and had Cohen moved to AD one year earlier he likely would've been his successor. Great guy too. Been at Auburn 5 seasons now and has 2 CWS appearances. His Mom and family live in the Aberdeen area. This is literally home for him. He may not come, who knows but he's the guy we need.

I have to say that might would be interesting and fun. Mainly because of Cohen being in Auburn and the thought Butch wants to get away from him. One thing about Butch, he knows Msu baseball and the fans. But I'm thinking our new AD might want to go to someone he is more familiar with. Not sure Butch wants to leave something he has or is building but who knows.

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 10:30 AM
I'm not a huge Butch fan. He'd be down the list a ways. But he's a good coach. Just prefer a different direction. He would've been the hire 10 years ago.

basedog
03-19-2023, 11:13 AM
I'm not a huge Butch fan. He'd be down the list a ways. But he's a good coach. Just prefer a different direction. He would've been the hire 10 years ago.

I'm sorta in the boat with you, good coach but maybe something newer.

sandjunky
03-19-2023, 11:16 AM
I'm sorta in the boat with you, good coach but maybe something newer.

Program needs energy and attitude

ScooterDog
03-19-2023, 11:40 AM
I don?t know who we get, but I am ready to clean house with a whole new coaching staff. I have to trust the powers that be to make the best choice.

State82
03-19-2023, 11:54 AM
I have to trust the powers that be to make the best choice.

We do have the advantage of a president that is tuned into athletics about as much as any president in the country.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2023, 12:12 PM

We had that with Andy. And maybe we just need to swallow our pride, get over it, and go hire the guy. It is insane to even say that, but Lemonis taking a team from a national championship to dead f’n last back to back is a pretty insane scenario.

We would IMMEDIATELY win

KOdawg1
03-19-2023, 03:12 PM
Bump

RockyDog
03-19-2023, 04:43 PM
Bobby cox.

BeardoMSU
03-19-2023, 04:50 PM
We had that with Andy. And maybe we just need to swallow our pride, get over it, and go hire the guy. It is insane to even say that, but Lemonis taking a team from a national championship to dead f’n last back to back is a pretty insane scenario.

We would IMMEDIATELY win

I still love that guy. I hate he torpedoed his career.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2023, 04:56 PM
I still love that guy. I hate he torpedoed his career.

I would hire him tomorrow. He could probably even get this team to the tournament.

Saltydog
03-19-2023, 05:16 PM
Going with someone you're more familiar with (as in an assistant somewhere) is not the way to go, IMO. He needs to bring in a proven veteran and nobody knows our program and our culture better than Butch.

Cowbell
03-19-2023, 05:36 PM
I would hire him tomorrow. He could probably even get this team to the tournament.

You guys have to remember that the players are the ones that turned on him. Guys like McNamee and the mayor turned him in. I don't know that you can go rehire a coach that your alumni are the ones that turned against him.

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2023, 08:05 PM
You guys have to remember that the players are the ones that turned on him. Guys like McNamee and the mayor turned him in. I don't know that you can go rehire a coach that your alumni are the ones that turned against him.

And Rooker and TA loved him. We can play the alumni game til the cows come home. Also, not sure I would be using Jake Mangum and Elijah Macnamee as our moral compasses.

CoachT14
03-19-2023, 08:14 PM

Gross. We can do better. Ostranded is great. If Lane Burroughs was Joe Schmoe and coached at Alabama instead of Statw, he wouldn?t be mentioned.

CoachT14
03-19-2023, 08:16 PM

Rob Vaughn Maryland

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2023, 08:46 PM
So back to grounding ourselves in reality, myself included, here's what I would consider a realistic list of candidates in no particular order.

1. Matt Deggs- In his 4th year at ULL. Took them to the tourney last year and looks to be building them back up to what they were during the Robichaux days. Was at Sam Houston St before ULL and was incredible there. Two tourneys and a Super in a conference that's only ever a one bid league.

2. Cliff Godwin- In his 9th year at ECU. Only missed the tourney once and has been to 3 straight Super Regionals. Was on Bianco's staff at OM as well as on staff with Mainieri at both ND and LSU.

3. Butch Thompson- Don't really think we need much of a bio on Butch.

4. Lane Burroughs- Again, probably don't need much of a bio on Lane.

5. John Szefc- VT coach in his 6th season. Was at Maryland before and was elite there. Went to back to back Supers and has finally built Va Tech back up as well. Just came off a Super last year and ranked 11th currently.

6. Brian O'Connor- In his 19th year at Virginia. Has won a national championship. Been to Omaha 5 times as well. This would probably be a home run realistic hire since I doubt Corbin or Vitello will pick up the phone.

7. Elliot Avent- In his 25th year at NC State. Built them up from nothing. Been to Omaha twice and of course probably would've played us in the championship series in 2021 had Vandy not tattled. Also has a ton of respect for our program and our fans.

8. Justin Haire- Head coach at Campbell. Been to the last 4 tournaments and was here in Starkville in 2021. A real program builder and if we go outside of the box a bit he would get a call.

9. Jordan Bischel- Head coach at Central Michigan. I've been high on him since the 19 regional they played in Starkville. His team is gritty but they play loose and have fun. He's also a very charismatic and energetic personality. Also been to the tourney every year he's been at CMU.

10. Nate Thompson- Asst coach and recruiting coordinator at Arkansas. If we go the asst route this is probably the guy we need to target. He's been their hitting coach since 2017 and as we've seen over the last few years they get up there and look like they're swinging tree trunks.

***Wild Cards***

1. Pat Casey- Probably be worth giving him a call to see if he's interested. Multiple national championships and built the Oregon St baseball program. Been out of the game for 5 years and if we could get him for 3-4 years and let him groom and asst it would be a good scenario for us.

2. Jim Schlossnagle- He obviously wanted the job and depending on who you talk to had verbally accepted the job in 18. He's been openly frustrated by some stuff at A&M this year so may be worth seeing if he would want out of that situation.

3. Jake Gautreau- I've added him to the WC's because I don't think he would get a look if the staff was let go, but if you think you've got something special with him, which I believe we do, he may be worth a shot.

sandjunky
03-19-2023, 08:57 PM
I?d add Nate Yeskie to the list

StarkVegasSteve
03-19-2023, 08:59 PM
I?d add Nate Yeskie to the list

I thought about Nate and honestly I thought he was at Oregon St as the HC. No clue he was with Schloss at A&M. Yes, I would definitely have him on any list.

The Federalist Engineer
03-19-2023, 10:28 PM
Nate Thompson seems right. I like how Arkansas hits the ball. They choke in Omaha, but very good otherwise.

Plus Arkansas are stellar in recruiting. Recruiting MSU type of players in the MSU regions for recruiting from the same Elite squads.

Mjoelner34
03-20-2023, 09:08 AM
Link Jarrett. He is back at his alma mater but we can pay more and are a higher profile program (at least for now).

Cooterpoot
03-20-2023, 09:16 AM
Gross. We can do better. Ostranded is great. If Lane Burroughs was Joe Schmoe and coached at Alabama instead of Statw, he wouldn?t be mentioned.

He's got more SEC wins this year than us. He's highly thought of. He's in the top 5 IMO. Godwin probably is at the top. Deggs is likely in there too, since he got a short look before. Then there are the big timers that will be tough pulls but you try anyway. After seeing the Three Bucketeers win a Natty, a good coach should see they can too.

gtowndawg
03-20-2023, 10:21 AM
We had that with Andy. And maybe we just need to swallow our pride, get over it, and go hire the guy. It is insane to even say that, but Lemonis taking a team from a national championship to dead f?n last back to back is a pretty insane scenario.

We would IMMEDIATELY win

Admittedly I don't follow baseball much (not even State baseball), but wasn't he fired from every job he's had since we fired him? We're talking about Andy Cannizaro right? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

ZedFedder
03-20-2023, 10:34 AM
Let?s be certain of this?

If we can Lemonis, and it?s looking more and more likely, I fully believe MSU can go get a quality coach. It may not be the very top candidate, but we can get a top 15 coach in the country.

Lemonis was just decent at Indiana, and we are seeing why.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 11:15 AM
Admittedly I don't follow baseball much (not even State baseball), but wasn't he fired from every job he's had since we fired him? We're talking about Andy Cannizaro right? Sorry if I'm mistaken.

Well he has only had one. And that was more a daddy ball situation than Andy’s performance. I have told that story multiple times. The gist, Cann thought the program should be going one way and the daddies who wanted their sons to start thought it should be going another. Words were exchanged.

Really Clark?
03-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Well he has only had one. And that was more a daddy ball situation than Andy’s performance. I have told that story multiple times. The gist, Cann thought the program should be going one way and the daddies who wanted their sons to start thought it should be going another. Words were exchanged.

There was more to it than that. That was his side of the story. Administration was troubled about allegations that had nothing to do with playing time.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 11:54 AM
There was more to it than that. That was his side of the story. Administration was troubled about allegations that had nothing to do with playing time.

This and he also had issues before we hired him, but we hired him anyways. We took a chance because he has some talents in baseball but there was a reason no one hired before us and no one has hired him since. His personal life is destroying his professional life.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 12:01 PM
This and he also had issues before we hired him, but we hired him anyways. We took a chance because he has some talents in baseball but there was a reason no one hired before us and no ones hired him since. His personal life is destroying his professional life.

He wins. At a certain point, you have to ask yourself what your line in the sand is. I've said all along that he may not be a great person, but he has broken no laws. That doesn't mean I condone what he did, because I don't but I know what are program trajectory was under him. We don't have that trajectory under Chris. I've been on record multiple times in the past months saying that I would have suspended for the rest of the year and reevaluated the situation in June. I don't really care that Jake Mangum didn't like him. Our program is bigger than one player. Always has been and always will be. Jake didn't like him for a few reasons, most of them had nothing to do with Cannizarro texting his sidepiece.

Quaoarsking
03-20-2023, 12:05 PM
It's so strange to see posters bash Jake Mangum (probably our #1 most legendary player of the 21st century) and Elijah Macnamee (also in the top 5) in order to take up for ... Andy Cannizzaro?? Seriously guys?

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 12:07 PM
It's so strange to see posters bash Jake Mangum (probably our #1 most legendary player of the 21st century) and Elijah Macnamee (also in the top 5) in order to take up for ... Andy Cannizzaro?? Seriously guys?

You didn't see what I did. I don't really have a whole lot of respect for Jake Mangum. Great athlete and great player, but so was Brent Rooker.

shoeless joe
03-20-2023, 12:11 PM
Burroughs and butch should be high on the list. Not saying they’re at the top but they are absolutely solid baseball guys and I believe would get us back goin. I’m sure there’s someone flashier that is higher up but I’d be 100% happy with either of them.

Really Clark?
03-20-2023, 12:25 PM
He wins. At a certain point, you have to ask yourself what your line in the sand is. I've said all along that he may not be a great person, but he has broken no laws. That doesn't mean I condone what he did, because I don't but I know what are program trajectory was under him. We don't have that trajectory under Chris. I've been on record multiple times in the past months saying that I would have suspended for the rest of the year and reevaluated the situation in June. I don't really care that Jake Mangum didn't like him. Our program is bigger than one player. Always has been and always will be. Jake didn't like him for a few reasons, most of them had nothing to do with Cannizarro texting his sidepiece.

I think when you are at his age, already been fired in disgrace from a top job and a private HS fires you for more bad judgements, including a situation that could have turned criminal if charges were made and/or an accident occurred,part of your stance about criminal is that he was fortunate it didn't turn criminal. It's no longer red flags it's a huge neon sign flashing Do Not Hire. He cannot exercise good judgement in his personal life, had horrible judgement with HS players (not the playing time junk but something more severe) that actually involves players...bad judgements at multiple programs now. This type of decision making individual cannot be a part of running a program. Defend all you want but he couldn't get a second chance at DII or DIII tells you we only know about a select few skeletons in his closet. There are more.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 12:30 PM
I think when you are at his age, already been fired in disgrace from a top job and a private HS fires you for more bad judgements, including a situation that could have turned criminal if charges were made and/or an accident occurred,part of your stance about criminal is that he was fortunate it didn't turn criminal. It's no longer red flags it's a huge neon sign flashing Do Not Hire. He cannot exercise good judgement in his personal life, had horrible judgement with HS players (not the playing time junk but something more severe) that actually involves players...bad judgements at multiple programs now. This type of decision making individual cannot be a part of running a program. Defend all you want but he couldn't get a second chance at DII or DIII tells you we only know about a select few skeletons in his closet. There are more.

This everyday! Not only that he with all his contacts in mlb he can't even sniff an mlb job and they look the other way on just about everything so the fact he's unhireable at every level of baseball should tell you all you need to know. He's radioactive. Just like you said if you can't keep your personal life straight(and the affairs are only one of his issues), then you can't run a program of any size.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 12:31 PM

Skeletons in the closet, national championships in the trophy cases. You have to decide what you're willing to accept. I've made my stance on it. And at the end it doesn't matter because I'm not the one making the decision. What I saw was a guy who took a team worse than we've had the last two years and took them within two games of Omaha. I mean we were pitching position players on the weekend and winning. No one, including me, is saying that Andy hasn't completely f'd his life up. Because he has. But hell, Hugh Freeze is back on the sidelines and he was doing the same and worse. I guess I'm willing to take that risk because I know what the reward is. Probably why I wouldn't be a good AD.

Activated Alpha
03-20-2023, 12:34 PM
Skeletons in the closet, national championships in the trophy cases. You have to decide what you're willing to accept. I've made my stance on it. And at the end it doesn't matter because I'm not the one making the decision. What I saw was a guy who took a team worse than we've had the last two years and took them within two games of Omaha. I mean we were pitching position players on the weekend and winning. No one, including me, is saying that Andy hasn't completely f'd his life up. Because he has. But hell, Hugh Freeze is back on the sidelines and he was doing the same and worse. I guess I'm willing to take that risk because I know what the reward is. Probably why I wouldn't be a good AD.

Well, we have an entire football stadium on multiple Injun bones. What are a few more skeletons in the closet going to do??

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 12:42 PM
It's kind of a moot point anyways. We're not hiring cann and nobody else is either.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 12:43 PM
Well, we have an entire football stadium on multiple Injun bones. What are a few more skeletons in the closet going to do??

Exactly! Trust me we can't piss the Injuns off too much more.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 12:44 PM
It's kind of a moot point anyways. We're not hiring cann and nobody else is either.

Correct. It doesn't matter because he won't be hired. If he keeps his nose clean for the next 3 to 4 years then someone may bring him on as an asst or maybe a school like SELA or Northwestern St will decide the risk is worth it to hire him as the HC.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 12:49 PM
Correct. It doesn't matter because he won't be hired. If he keeps his nose clean for the next 3 to 4 years then someone may bring him on as an asst or maybe a school like SELA or Northwestern St will decide the risk is worth it to hire him as the HC.

I agree with this. If he can keep it between the ditches for that amount of time he'll get another shot. Hope he has the discipline to do because he has a ton of baseball knowledge thats being wasted.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 12:50 PM
Exactly! Trust me we can't piss the Injuns off too much more.

I guess the injuns decided that NC was enough pleasure for us to have in this century, lol.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 12:52 PM
I agree with this. If he can keep it between the ditches for that amount of time he'll get another shot. Hope he has the discipline to do because he has a ton of baseball knowledge thats being wasted.

His problem is that when he has too much time on his hands the problems start popping up. I mean look at his first year. He gets here in November and takes over the program and by the time he gets moved into his office it's February and it's time for baseball. He's completely focused on the season and the results showed that. The problems began in July, August, and September. When he didn't have anything to do.

Really Clark?
03-20-2023, 12:54 PM

Well when he stays straight for 4 years or so then its easier to move that line to acceptance. He's not there yet.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 12:57 PM
His problem is that when he has too much time on his hands the problems start popping up. I mean look at his first year. He gets here in November and takes over the program and by the time he gets moved into his office it's February and it's time for baseball. He's completely focused on the season and the results showed that. The problems began in July, August, and September. When he didn't have anything to do.

Yeah I've known several people like that. Talented but just don't have any self discipline when they're not on task. Shame too.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 01:00 PM
Well when he stays straight for 4 years or so then its easier to move that line to acceptance. He's not there yet.

Yep there are consequences for actions and dues that have to be paid first. He's young enough to get it together if he will.

CoachT14
03-20-2023, 01:01 PM
He's got more SEC wins this year than us. He's highly thought of. He's in the top 5 IMO. Godwin probably is at the top. Deggs is likely in there too, since he got a short look before. Then there are the big timers that will be tough pulls but you try anyway. After seeing the Three Bucketeers win a Natty, a good coach should see they can too.

More SEC wins this year isn't saying much.

He's a good coach, doesn't mean he's ready or deserving of this job. I like Lane, doesn't mean he should be in the top 5 coaches for this job.

He's been to 2 regionals in 7 years at LA Tech.

I mentioned this elsewhere, there are 2 coaches in Louisiana that are arguably better than him... yet only 1 of them kind of gets mentioned. The other? Not at all.

Why is that? Cause Burroughs "is a State guy".

Who are the other two guys?

1. Matt Deggs - ULL. His name has been mentioned some. But not as much as Lane. Deggs has 3 Regional appearances, as well as 1 Super Regional appearance.
2. Matt Riser - SEL. 4 regionals in 9 years.

I'm even advocating for either. Simply pointing out that those 2 have been and are better coaches, yet we aren't even mentioned them.

I can name 15 guys right now that are better options and realistic options.

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
3. Chris Pollard - Duke
4. John Szefc - Va Tech
5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
6. Justin Haire - Campbell
7. Mark Calvi - USA
8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
9. Butch Thompson - Auburn
10. Monte Lee - uSC hitting coach
11. Casey Dunn - UAB
12. Robert Woodard - Charlotte
13. Matt Deggs - ULL
14. Todd Interdonato - Wofford
15. Mark Wasikowski - Oregon

You could make arguments against some. But that list is virtually better than Burroughs.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 01:03 PM

He's a good coach, doesn't mean he's ready or deserving of this job. I like Lane, doesn't mean he should be in the top 5 coaches for this job.

I mentioned this elsewhere, there are 2 coaches in Louisiana that are arguably better than him... yet only 1 of them kind of gets mentioned. The other? Not at all.

1. Matt Deggs - ULL. His name has been mentioned some. But not as much as Lane. Deggs has 3 Regional appearances, as well as 1 Super Regional appearance.

I'm even advocating for either. Simply pointing out that those 2 have been and are better coaches, yet we aren't even mentioned them.

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
3. Chris Pollard - Duke
4. John Szefc - Va Tech
5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
7. Mark Calvi - USA
8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
11. Casey Dunn - UAB
13. Matt Deggs - ULL

You could make arguments against some. But that list is virtually better than Burroughs.

I really like Calvi. He recruited my son and he's a sharp guy and very cool.

gtowndawg
03-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Like I said above, baseball is not something I get wrapped up in. However, clearly there's no excuse for us to totally suck...like none. Something has gone wrong and to me it's pretty obvious a wholesale change needs to be made. I just don't know is there any advantage to firing everyone during the season to get a jump on the top coaches like in football? Or do you just ride it out until the season is over?

confucius say
03-20-2023, 01:43 PM

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
3. Chris Pollard - Duke
4. John Szefc - Va Tech
5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
7. Mark Calvi - USA
8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
11. Casey Dunn - UAB
13. Matt Deggs - ULL

Lane has only had 5 seasons at LT. 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022.
Regionals the last two, which had not been done in consecutive years there in 35 years.
39 wins in 2018 but got left out.
We will see what he does this year. He's built a program there and is a viable candidate.

Cooterpoot
03-20-2023, 01:45 PM

1. Dan Heefner - DBU
2. Rob Vaughn - Maryland
3. Chris Pollard - Duke
4. John Szefc - Va Tech
5. Jordan Bischell - CMU
7. Mark Calvi - USA
8. Greg Lovelady - UCF
11. Casey Dunn - UAB
13. Matt Deggs - ULL

I wouldn't put any of those lesser names ahead of him. La Tech is a dying athletics dept now that they're stuck in a terrible conference. He will do more with less. Many of those we aren't interest in and some aren't interested in us. There's a fit issue with several of those guys. Not that they're bad coaches. You can mark off Heefner and Butch and Calvi right off the bat. Interdonato, Dunn, Lee as well. Lee was an awful head coach by the way.
We're going to pull better than that list or mine I believe.

confucius say
03-20-2023, 02:57 PM
We may can very well do better than lane.

But one thing he has that we need is toughness. We've become a soft program. I don't think lemonis is really a soft person, but foxhall I believe is and that is showing in our pitching staff.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 03:15 PM
We may can very well do better than lane.

But one thing he has that we need is toughness. We've become a soft program. I don't think lemonis is really a soft person, but foxhall I believe is and that is showing in our pitching staff.

Toughness is a personal mindset. You either have it or you don't. It's not something that can be taught. We've got some tough guys on our team. We just don't have anyone that will go jump down someone's ass. We don't have a Brent Rooker, Hunter Renfroe, or a Landon Sims who were just straight up ALPHAS. They had a quiet confidence until it was time to step up, but if they had to jump in someone's ass they would do it. Cohen's teams had that in spades. I mean those early teams would fight you. From the coaches down. We just don't have that anymore. Cohen's toughness just permeated the program. He fought for his guys and they fought for him. They didn't have to be taught how to do it, because Cohen knew what he wanted when he was recruiting guys.

Now I'm not advocating going out there and picking a fight with Vandy on Friday, mostly because it would probably just be a slap fest because I'm not real sure anyone on this current roster outside of like 5 people even know how to throw a punch.

smootness
03-20-2023, 03:47 PM

Good grief, man. His issues were already having an impact on the team. That kind of thing will take you down at some point, and it had already gotten in the way of him doing his job. You saw him coach baseball at State for one year. Anyone can do it for one year. He has proven he isn't someone you can trust to build a program, at any level. Why on earth would you want to hire the guy?

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 04:19 PM
Good grief, man. His issues were already having an impact on the team. That kind of thing will take you down at some point, and it had already gotten in the way of him doing his job. You saw him coach baseball at State for one year. Anyone can do it for one year. He has proven he isn't someone you can trust to build a program, at any level. Why on earth would you want to hire the guy?

Toughness, Winning, Recruiting. Kind of a take your pic thing. If I have to put safeguards in to make sure his head is on straight then I figure that out. Again, none of that really matters because I am not the AD. So my opinion is just as valid as yours.

smootness
03-20-2023, 04:31 PM
Toughness, Winning, Recruiting. Kind of a take your pic thing. If I have to put safeguards in to make sure his head is on straight then I figure that out. Again, none of that really matters because I am not the AD. So my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Lemonis won a ton his first 2 full years as coach and took us to heights we've never seen. Then the whole thing started unraveling. Why? Because he seems to lack the ability to truly build and sustain a program, which is what any head coach must do.

You saw one season of Cannizaro, and it was already unraveling before our very eyes. Yet you want that guy back? He's given you every indication he does not have the discipline, self-control, and leadership qualities necessary to build a program.

confucius say
03-20-2023, 05:17 PM
Toughness is a personal mindset. You either have it or you don't. It's not something that can be taught. We've got some tough guys on our team. We just don't have anyone that will go jump down someone's ass. We don't have a Brent Rooker, Hunter Renfroe, or a Landon Sims who were just straight up ALPHAS. They had a quiet confidence until it was time to step up, but if they had to jump in someone's ass they would do it. Cohen's teams had that in spades. I mean those early teams would fight you. From the coaches down. We just don't have that anymore. Cohen's toughness just permeated the program. He fought for his guys and they fought for him. They didn't have to be taught how to do it, because Cohen knew what he wanted when he was recruiting guys.

Now I'm not advocating going out there and picking a fight with Vandy on Friday, mostly because it would probably just be a slap fest because I'm not real sure anyone on this current roster outside of like 5 people even know how to throw a punch.

Toughness can absolutely be brought out in certain kids. Now some kids don't need to have it brought out, they are just like that 24/7. But not all.

You can take the same group of kids and change leadership and see a difference in toughness. That's because toughness is largely mental. It happens every year. Heck, look at Jans vs Howland. Same kids.

SPMT
03-20-2023, 05:24 PM

Maybe extreme toughness can?t be taught, but being tougher in general can 100% be taught. The level that gets to is up to the individual. One main way is overcoming some adversity, not quitting when things get hard. Best to learn at a young age, but can be improved on through life.

Cohen definitely instilled that.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 05:27 PM
Maybe extreme toughness can?t be taught, but being tougher in general can 100% be taught. The level that gets to is up to the individual. One main way is overcoming some adversity, not quitting when things get hard. Best to learn at a young age, but can be improved on through life.

BINGO. You hit the nail on the head. All of these kids have been the best players on their teams since they were 10 years old. Adversity really has never been a thing for them. They were miles better than 99% of the guys they played in high school and they were better than most of the kids they played against in travel ball. The last two years have been some of these kids first time to ever have a losing record since they started playing baseball. I'm just not sure we have guys who can overcome that adversity. I mean you look at our best teams and they all faced adversity at some point in their 3-4 years at State.

85- Get beat by UNO in 84 at home in the Regional Final.
13- Started off hot and then got two of three taken by UCA and started SEC play 3-6.
16- They had to wear the embarrassment of 2015 for an entire year
18 and 19- Went through enough adversity for 10 seasons but it toughened them
21- Got punched in the mouth by Arkansas early in the SEC slate and then got punched in the mouth and embarrassed in the SEC tournament

The difference in those teams and the last two years is that those teams stood up off the mat and started punching back. This team continually throws in the towel every time they are punched in the mouth.

SPMT
03-20-2023, 05:39 PM
BINGO. You hit the nail on the head. All of these kids have been the best players on their teams since they were 10 years old. Adversity really has never been a thing for them. They were miles better than 99% of the guys they played in high school and they were better than most of the kids they played against in travel ball. The last two years have been some of these kids first time to ever have a losing record since they started playing baseball. I'm just not sure we have guys who can overcome that adversity. I mean you look at our best teams and they all faced adversity at some point in their 3-4 years at State.

85- Get beat by UNO in 84 at home in the Regional Final.
13- Started off hot and then got two of three taken by UCA and started SEC play 3-6.
16- They had to wear the embarrassment of 2015 for an entire year
18 and 19- Went through enough adversity for 10 seasons but it toughened them
21- Got punched in the mouth by Arkansas early in the SEC slate and then got punched in the mouth and embarrassed in the SEC tournament

The difference in those teams and the last two years is that those teams stood up off the mat and started punching back. This team continually throws in the towel every time they are punched in the mouth.

Yep. I?m sure we have a few hard asses but not enough. Certainly don?t seem to have it in the pitching side.

Need some Kobe Bryant?s, scherzer types.

StarkVegasSteve
03-20-2023, 05:41 PM
Yep. I?m sure we have a few hard asses but not enough. Certainly don?t seem to have it in the pitching side.

Heck I would take a Houston Harding type at this point. He had some fire in him.

Commercecomet24
03-20-2023, 05:45 PM

I can tell you Dohm and Tapper both have the red a**. Both of those guys are tough as nails and all business, and you can include Cade with those two. The rest I can't vouch for but those 3 for sure.

SPMT
03-20-2023, 05:49 PM
I can tell you Dohm and Tapper both have the red a**. Both of those guys are tough as nails and all business, and you can include Cade with those two. The rest I can't vouch for but those 3 for sure.

That?s good. We may just suck at talent evaluation in certain areas.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2023, 08:44 AM
I haven't seen us quit. We left so many guys on base that's hard to say. That pitching group and coach situation is going to blow up.
But I'm going to keep saying we haven't recruited. From less than have the number of top recruits as LSU, Vandy, FL etc. to having the large majority of a couple classes leave. Our evaluation, development, and coaching has been bad.

CoachT14
03-21-2023, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't put any of those lesser names ahead of him. La Tech is a dying athletics dept now that they're stuck in a terrible conference. He will do more with less. Many of those we aren't interest in and some aren't interested in us. There's a fit issue with several of those guys. Not that they're bad coaches. You can mark off Heefner and Butch and Calvi right off the bat. Interdonato, Dunn, Lee as well. Lee was an awful head coach by the way.
We're going to pull better than that list or mine I believe.

The guy with a 518 - 281 record isn't a bad coach. Lee had 1 bad season and the season he got fired they had a rash of injuries about halfway through the season and despite that, they still went 35-23 and 13-16 in conference. He's been to 7 regionals and a Super Regional. His best team was the covid year and it got shut down.

PMDawg
03-21-2023, 09:16 AM

Last I heard, he couldn't even win at the HS level, and was let go. That doesn't scream that he's overcome his demons and is ready for another shot at the SEC to me.

Cooterpoot
03-21-2023, 09:43 AM
The guy with a 518 - 281 record isn't a bad coach. Lee had 1 bad season and the season he got fired they had a rash of injuries about halfway through the season and despite that, they still went 35-23 and 13-16 in conference. He's been to 7 regionals and a Super Regional. His best team was the covid year and it got shut down.

He wasn't as good as the previous coaches. He got fired. He's a good assistant/hitting coach. We aren't hiring a guy that got fired last HC job.
I think we'll go for a few name guys and if that doesn't work, it's likely Lane or an assistant from a top program. I could see one Sunbelt coach in it. One or two G5 guys.

CaptainObvious
03-21-2023, 10:16 AM
All this is moot. State isn?t firing Lemonis until and if his team finished near the bottom and doesn?t make Hoover. If he gets this team to Hoover, he probably gets another year.

Besides, Selmon might be like several of the fans on this board and think baseball is just a niche sport and that State has been wasting money on it all these years. He may be more of a Women?s sports guy.😳😳😳 and believe in spending more money there.

StarkVegasSteve
03-21-2023, 10:25 AM
All this is moot. State isn?t firing Lemonis until and if his team finished near the bottom and doesn?t make Hoover. If he gets this team to Hoover, he probably gets another year.

Besides, Selmon might be like several of the fans on this board and think baseball is just a niche sport and that State has been wasting money on it all these years. He may be more of a Women?s sports guy.������ and believe in spending more money there.

If Lemonis makes it to Hoover he'll be back. Albeit with massive staff changes, but he'll be back. That won't be popular but it's the reality of it. Now, if he tanks and we finish 9-21 or worse I don't believe there's a way he can stay. The big baseball boosters will force that change.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
03-21-2023, 10:33 AM
Who are the big boosters for the program that aren't former players?

Activated Alpha
03-21-2023, 11:06 AM

Me. Now I don?t make a lot of money, but I feel like my opinion matters***

StarkVegasSteve
03-21-2023, 11:13 AM

Adkerson is pretty big. The Bryans. Mossy Oak is pretty involved in baseball. Steven Warren. No former players really outside of Maholm, Raffy, and Craig Tatum

HoopsDawg
03-21-2023, 11:26 AM
If you can get Heefner, and that's a big IF, you do it. Absolute no brainer.

sandjunky
03-21-2023, 11:45 AM

Cohen definitely instilled that.
I think each individual is capable of being as tough as anyone- it?s their minds that let them down

Ask David Goggins

R2Dawg
03-21-2023, 11:50 AM
Toughness can absolutely be brought out in certain kids. Now some kids don't need to have it brought out, they are just like that 24/7. But not all.

You can take the same group of kids and change leadership and see a difference in toughness. That's because toughness is largely mental. It happens every year. Heck, look at Jans vs Howland. Same kids.

See it everyday at work. Leadership matters much more than people realize. I saw it also with different coaches I had back when playing ball as well. It matters and a lot. Look at Croom then Mullen, Moorhead then Leach, Howland and Jans.

Tbonewannabe
03-21-2023, 03:07 PM
If Lemonis makes it to Hoover he'll be back. Albeit with massive staff changes, but he'll be back. That won't be popular but it's the reality of it. Now, if he tanks and we finish 9-21 or worse I don't believe there's a way he can stay. The big baseball boosters will force that change.

The way this team is playing, I would be pleasantly surprised to win 9 games in the SEC. We just played who I would have thought was the worst team we would play in the SEC.

Ezsoil
03-21-2023, 07:58 PM

Who else?

What on earth makes any of you guys think ANY of these guys would consider MSU ....three on your list turned us down last time ..and the Schlossnagle interview didn't last 20 minutes .....throw in that MSU has the fewest NIL opportunities ...and it isn't the destination that a high profile coach will want to take a chance on.... .

StarkVegasSteve
03-21-2023, 08:01 PM
What on earth makes any of you guys think ANY of these guys would consider MSU ....three on your list turned us down last time ..and the Schlossnagle interview didn't last 20 minutes .....throw in that MSU has the fewest NIL opportunities ...and it isn't the destination that a high profile coach will want to take a chance on.... .

Lane Burroughs would crawl on broken glass to Starkville and I imagine if we paid Butch what Auburn is paying him he would come. We'd probably have to overpay for Godwin and you can put Tadlock in the same category as Vitello. It won't happen.

The Federalist Engineer
03-21-2023, 09:26 PM
An interview from 5-years ago, when Arkansas hired Nate Thompson. Replaced Vitello in pig world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYuS4Whfvg&t=11s

After Thompson speaks, you have Van Horn talking recruiting. Pretty interesting.

Thompson is a Dallas Baptist graduate. Arkansas has been to 3 CWS' and basically been a 45+ wins/season team. Still winning today, as Thompson's 8th and 9th grade commitments are rolling in.

Homedawg
03-21-2023, 11:27 PM
Lane Burroughs would crawl on broken glass to Starkville and I imagine if we paid Butch what Auburn is paying him he would come. We'd probably have to overpay for Godwin and you can put Tadlock in the same category as Vitello. It won't happen.

I'm not saying butch wouldn't come. But he's a loyal guy. They gave his first shot. We've won a title already. Had we not that would matter cause he could bring us our first. But I'm not sure he's take it. Is it a better job? Yea. But I'm not sure he'd take it. Lane. Hell yeah he would. No doubt

Homedawg
03-21-2023, 11:30 PM
An interview from 5-years ago, when Arkansas hired Nate Thompson. Replaced Vitello in pig world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhYuS4Whfvg&t=11s

After Thompson speaks, you have Van Horn talking recruiting. Pretty interesting.

Thompson is a Dallas Baptist graduate. Arkansas has been to 3 CWS' and basically been a 45+ wins/season team. Still winning today, as Thompson's 8th and 9th grade commitments are rolling in.
Just heard van horn speak and he said they were going to stop taking so many hs commits and go way more portal. We shall see. Better have a deep nil pocket. And they probably do. But you can't get away from signees. They have more loyalty if they really wanted to be there to begin with. And clearly they can get em

Todd4State
03-21-2023, 11:54 PM
Just heard van horn speak and he said they were going to stop taking so many hs commits and go way more portal. We shall see. Better have a deep nil pocket. And they probably do. But you can't get away from signees. They have more loyalty if they really wanted to be there to begin with. And clearly they can get em

I have a feeling that's going to end up being a mistake for them. But we'll see.

The Federalist Engineer
03-22-2023, 01:50 AM

If LSU buys a National Title in 2023, Arkansas' FOMO will be uncontrollable. It's got to suck for all these schools around them winning titles. Even Oklahoma has 2 titles and a recent Runner Up. They are absolute Wannabes.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2023, 09:50 AM
I have a feeling that's going to end up being a mistake for them. But we'll see.

I tend to agree. The portal is definitely a gamble. You can get real good real quick or you could blow your whole program up. Also, with nil what it is, if you buy portal guys and it costs you big bucks, those people putting up those big bucks will expect results NOW.

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2023, 10:34 AM

Tyson, JB Hunt, Walmart, Jerry. I mean Arkansas can warchest an NIL fund that could rival Texas with just 4 families. They have plenty right now, but if they go all in everyone needs to be very afraid. They could be the Yankees if they wanted to. Thankfully, the care equally about all their sports so no sport will ever totally dominate with NIL.

sandjunky
03-22-2023, 10:46 AM
I tend to agree. The portal is definitely a gamble. You can get real good real quick or you could blow your whole program up. Also, with nil what it is, if you buy portal guys and it costs you big bucks, those people putting up those big bucks will expect results NOW.

Bought or not, LSU fans expect to win and get results every year

Hell they ran off Laval after 5 years and he was 210-109-1 (88-60-1)

That?s a .658 Win Percentage overall and .594 in SEC play

Lemonis is .672 overall and .527

Laval only had one SEC season with under 18 wins in conference and it cost him his job (13)

His sin? Not winning the CWS and not Skip
2 CWS Appearances
1 super
1 regional

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2023, 10:49 AM

Laval only had one SEC season with under 18 wins in conference and it cost him his job (13)

2 CWS Appearances
1 super
1 regional

Smoke's biggest issue was his name wasn't Skip Bertman. It's almost impossible to follow a legend. I think both McMahon and Cohen did it so well for us because Polk had not won a national championship. Had Polk reeled off the two we should've won (85 and 89) then I think the expectations would've been raised for both those men. I also don't think Polk comes back in 02 if he had won a national championship.

Commercecomet24
03-22-2023, 10:58 AM

2 CWS Appearances
1 super
1 regional

Oh yeah, I 100% agree on this. I should've stated i was making more of reference toward arky and the fact van horn says they're going heavy portal.

WPS
03-22-2023, 11:38 AM
Tyson, JB Hunt, Walmart, Jerry. I mean Arkansas can warchest an NIL fund that could rival Texas with just 4 families. They have plenty right now, but if they go all in everyone needs to be very afraid. They could be the Yankees if they wanted to. Thankfully, the care equally about all their sports so no sport will ever totally dominate with NIL.

Most of the Arkansas NIL is going toward basketball right now, mainly because the JB Hunt family are huge basketball fans and are putting money toward it. They're the only big player publicly out there supporting NIL though.

If you look at the roster this year, so far Arkansas' two best hitters are both transfers - Bohrofen from OU and Wegner from Creighton. the 3rd is probably Josenberger who is a Kansas transfer.

Peyton Stovall was a blue chip recruit who most thought was a can't-miss first round pick and possibly the best hitter in the entire draft, and while he's been good he's maybe the 4th best hitter on the team. I can see why DVH would prefer to go with proven transfers. Even the best high school recruits are sometimes a roll of the dice.

PMDawg
03-23-2023, 09:37 AM
Well he has only had one. And that was more a daddy ball situation than Andy?s performance. I have told that story multiple times. The gist, Cann thought the program should be going one way and the daddies who wanted their sons to start thought it should be going another. Words were exchanged.

Don't leave out that his W/L record stunk too. That's kind of important. I mean, it wasn't like 10-90 or anything, but he was barely above .500.