PDA

View Full Version : Is Ole Miss the luckiest team in the country?

Todd4State
11-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Going back to last year:

They beat Arkansas on a last second field goal.

They beat Auburn in large part because of a play where it looked like Jeff Scott was down and the defense gave up on the play.

They beat us with a lame duck DC.

They get a good bowl draw as far as facing an easy team to beat.

The number one recruit in the country had a brother that played for them leading to recruit-gate.

And then this year:

They beat Vandy on the road on a SPEED SWEEP. How does that happen?

They had to play Texas the week that they fired their DC.

Then Les Miles crazy coaching finally catches up to him and Mettenberger has the worst game of his life.

I say all of that to say this- Ole Miss is all smoke and mirrors. They run a gimmicky offense that allowed them to have success in year one because not very many people had faced that before. As we have all seen, the SEC has for the most part figured out how to stop the Hugh Freeze version of it. For the first time, they are facing some dissension in the program under Freeze. They can't spin this into a moral victory. They are having very animated arguments on the sidelines even for football.

I'm going to be very interested to see how they respond in their bowl game.

Jacksondevildog
11-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Good points, Todd. I noticed this tweet from Dan Wolken (USA Today):

@DanWolken: A few folks challenged me on Ole Miss O being less effective in Year 2 under Freeze. In SEC games went from 28 ppg to 22.5. Pretty clear.

msstate7
11-29-2013, 05:04 PM
I think you could see some turnover in their staff this year also. Dan Werner now that the Miami deal is over could be moving on. Werner IMO is a good coach

blacklistedbully
11-29-2013, 05:11 PM
I have ALWAYS felt this way about Ole Miss, back to the 80's when I was a student. They always seems to get the lucky bounce, the mystical "gust of wind", the benefit of horrendous officiating (last night, Dick Pace, etc), etc.

Bothrops
11-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Auburn is the luckiest team in the country. They're also the luckiest program in college football considering they're a second fiddle program in their state. What other little brother program has had the success of Auburn??

gravedigger
11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Make no mistake, the dick pace call was not a case of poor officiating.

Luck had nothing to do with it. He was a former employee of ole miss.

Wind blowing, yes.
Dick pace, hell no.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2013, 06:09 PM
You can't consistently win in the SEC without a physical component to your offense. It's why Oregon would also struggle in the SEC over time.

bluelightstar
11-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Auburn is the luckiest team in the country. They're also the luckiest program in college football considering they're a second fiddle program in their state. What other little brother program has had the success of Auburn??

definitely auburn

Ronny
11-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Going back to last year:

They beat Arkansas on a last second field goal.

They beat Auburn in large part because of a play where it looked like Jeff Scott was down and the defense gave up on the play.

They beat us with a lame duck DC.

They get a good bowl draw as far as facing an easy team to beat.

The number one recruit in the country had a brother that played for them leading to recruit-gate.

And then this year:

They beat Vandy on the road on a SPEED SWEEP. How does that happen?

They had to play Texas the week that they fired their DC.

Then Les Miles crazy coaching finally catches up to him and Mettenberger has the worst game of his life.

I say all of that to say this- Ole Miss is all smoke and mirrors. They run a gimmicky offense that allowed them to have success in year one because not very many people had faced that before. As we have all seen, the SEC has for the most part figured out how to stop the Hugh Freeze version of it. For the first time, they are facing some dissension in the program under Freeze. They can't spin this into a moral victory. They are having very animated arguments on the sidelines even for football.

I'm going to be very interested to see how they respond in their bowl game.

left out a biggie:

This season they played 6 games in a row @ home. I don't think a SEC team has played 6 games in a row @ home since the 1960's.

If MSU scheduled 6 home games in a row Slive would order an investigation.

Yes, they have been the recipient of all kinds of good luck over the last 2 years. The good luck continued when they went into the 2013 Egg Bowl with MSU down to their 3rd string QB.

But due to the typical Ole Miss hubris they have squandered it all & are now reduced to hoping & praying the Liberty Bowl returns their phone calls.

MarketingBully01
11-29-2013, 06:25 PM
After today, I'd say Les Miles and LSU tie them.

engie
11-29-2013, 06:28 PM
I think you could see some turnover in their staff this year also. Dan Werner now that the Miami deal is over could be moving on. Werner IMO is a good coach

You won't be seeing Werner leave Ole Miss anytime soon most likely given his family situation...