PDA

View Full Version : Basketball portal already getting guys

msstate7
03-16-2023, 07:42 AM
One I noticed is Brakefield from OM. He's a F at 6'8".

11.1 ppg
5.7 rpg
1.7 apg
35.1% 3-pt

From Jackson.

I'd try

Johnson85
03-16-2023, 08:48 AM

11.1 ppg
5.7 rpg
1.7 apg
35.1% 3-pt

From Jackson.

I'd try

Is there anybody actually running out of eligibility on the basketball team? It looks like maybe everybody has at least one year with covid year?

SailingDawg
03-16-2023, 09:23 AM
Seems I heard the announcers during the men's NCAA game say Tolu was coming back. Any word?

basedog
03-16-2023, 09:31 AM
Is there anybody actually running out of eligibility on the basketball team? It looks like maybe everybody has at least one year with covid year?

College sports is the new "Professional League".

msstate7
03-16-2023, 09:36 AM
Seems I heard the announcers during the men's NCAA game say Tolu was coming back. Any word?

I heard that too. Tolu, cam, Shak, and Davis would be a hell of a start to next year's team

Ari Gold
03-16-2023, 09:40 AM

11.1 ppg
5.7 rpg
1.7 apg
35.1% 3-pt

From Jackson.

I'd try

Pass

Ari Gold
03-16-2023, 09:41 AM

Going to depend on his asking price and how much NIL we are willing to spend on him

MaroonFlounder
03-16-2023, 09:50 AM
I heard that too. Tolu, cam, Shak, and Davis would be a hell of a start to next year's team

Not unless there can be an improvement in perimeter shooting.

msstate7
03-16-2023, 09:57 AM
Not unless there can be an improvement in perimeter shooting.

4 of 5 starters back from a tourney team. Yeah, I'll take it. Add 2 shooters to the mix, and you basically keep the D in place

msstate7
03-16-2023, 10:06 AM
Pass

Not sure why. He avg'd 13.2 ppg in sec play

NCDawg
03-16-2023, 10:49 AM

I thought Davis played well against Pitt.

msstate7
03-16-2023, 11:15 AM
I thought Davis played well against Pitt.

I thought he came on strong in sec play. Finished the season at 33.9% from 3, 2:1 assists-to-TO, and played good D

Dawgpile
03-16-2023, 01:00 PM
I cant find the tweet, but State is talking to this guy from ECU. Javon Small (https://247sports.com/Player/Javon-Small-46103406/high-school-256798/)

trob115
03-16-2023, 01:12 PM
I cant find the tweet, but State is talking to this guy from ECU. Javon Small (https://247sports.com/Player/Javon-Small-46103406/high-school-256798/)

Averaged 16 pts a game, 33% from 3, and 85% from the line. Wouldn't be a bad addition on paper.

Johnson85
03-16-2023, 01:22 PM
4 of 5 starters back from a tourney team. Yeah, I'll take it. Add 2 shooters to the mix, and you basically keep the D in place

Which starter are we losing? We need to upgrade shooting somewhere in the starting five. I assume Jeffries is most at risk of losing his starting position? And Reed's minutes are probably up for grabs?

662dawg
03-16-2023, 01:24 PM
Which starter are we losing? We need to upgrade shooting somewhere in the starting five. I assume Jeffries is most at risk of losing his starting position? And Reed's minutes are probably up for grabs?

The way Cam played the last several games is think he'd be the one in the most danger. And Shak.

msstate7
03-16-2023, 01:36 PM

I'm assuming dj is gone

KOdawg1
03-16-2023, 03:35 PM
PG- Rams*/Hubbard
SG- Fort/Shak*/Transfer
SF- DJ*/Transfer
PF- Cam/Scott/Transfer
C- Tolu*/McNair*/Transfer

*if they come back

PGHBulldogBG
03-16-2023, 03:46 PM
I doubt DJ comes back. Shak and Tolu are probably 50/50. I assume everyone else will be back hopefully and then add a few shooters

klong-dog
03-16-2023, 04:26 PM
Why would Shak be 50/50?

MaroonFlounder
03-16-2023, 07:16 PM
And Reed's minutes are probably up for grabs?

Reed is done, I believe. Which is good. It never clicked for him.

msstate7
03-16-2023, 07:21 PM
PG- Rams*/Hubbard
SG- Fort/Shak*/Transfer
SF- DJ*/Transfer
PF- Cam/Scott/Transfer
C- Tolu*/McNair*/Transfer

*if they come back

I think jones will play next year. He was wildly inconsistent this season, but he played as a freshman. I expect him to beef up some this offseason, and become a player

chef dixon
03-16-2023, 08:06 PM
Is Tolu worth a big package? His game is sort of dated for modern basketball. Of course we'd take him back but at what cost? He'd be a lot more effective if we can buy some shooters too. College basketball is a guard driven game

PGHBulldogBG
03-16-2023, 08:22 PM
Why would Shak be 50/50?

He put his name in the portal last year. Looking for a better NIL deal

Ari Gold
03-16-2023, 11:06 PM
He put his name in the portal last year. Looking for a better NIL deal

Unless he is a graduate he would have to sit.. he could have left last year because of coaching change

Johnson85
03-17-2023, 08:32 AM
Is Tolu worth a big package? His game is sort of dated for modern basketball. Of course we'd take him back but at what cost? He'd be a lot more effective if we can buy some shooters too. College basketball is a guard driven game

For Jans, I would say yes. He has shown he can get players to utilize him. We have to get somebody that can shoot from the perimeter, but while I like McNair, if we lose Tolu and that's who we replace him with, we need a superstar perimeter player, which we probably won't be in play for. If we keep Tolu, we just need one and preferably two solid shooters that will play defense the way that Jans requires. I think it will be much easier for us to be competitive for those players.

All that said, we aren't going to be able to compete with what he can get in Europe I don't think. He's going to have to want to stay. Although I think his game doesn't fit great with most international ball either so maybe that will bring his value down. Not sure how much that will really hurt him though. He'll face a lot of post players that can bring him away from the rim consistently, but he'll also face a lot of post players that are not strong enough to stop him from getting position where he wants.

BuckyIsAB****
03-17-2023, 08:49 AM
Tolu has problems away from the rim on offense and defense. Which is kind of weird given how finesse he plays

smootness
03-17-2023, 08:54 AM
Unless he is a graduate he would have to sit.. he could have left last year because of coaching change

Eh, it's a pretty easy bar to meet. If he really wanted to be eligible immediately, he could likely figure out a way to do it.

Johnson85
03-17-2023, 09:16 AM
Eh, it's a pretty easy bar to meet. If he really wanted to be eligible immediately, he could likely figure out a way to do it.

He's just finishing up his third year. Certainly not hard to get an easy degree in three years with summer school, but you have to plan for it, especially if you're in a sport that plays in the fall and spring semester. Unless he's been focused on graduating early from the beginning, I can't imagine he's averaging more than 15 credits in the fall and spring semesters. That'd put him at 90 hours plus whatever he has gotten in summer school or intercession. 12 hours in summer school more or less sucks and that only gets him to 114 if he took 12 after his freshman and sophomore years.

Now certainly if he wants to transfer after summer school, he likely should be able to do that. Not sure what that does to his potential landing spots. But I wouldn't just assume he'll be ready to graduate at the end of this semester. If he did a more typical thing and has had some semesters with only 12 hours, even graduating at the end of the summer may be hard to do.

smootness
03-17-2023, 09:23 AM
He's just finishing up his third year. Certainly not hard to get an easy degree in three years with summer school, but you have to plan for it, especially if you're in a sport that plays in the fall and spring semester. Unless he's been focused on graduating early from the beginning, I can't imagine he's averaging more than 15 credits in the fall and spring semesters. That'd put him at 90 hours plus whatever he has gotten in summer school or intercession. 12 hours in summer school more or less sucks and that only gets him to 114 if he took 12 after his freshman and sophomore years.

Now certainly if he wants to transfer after summer school, he likely should be able to do that. Not sure what that does to his potential landing spots. But I wouldn't just assume he'll be ready to graduate at the end of this semester. If he did a more typical thing and has had some semesters with only 12 hours, even graduating at the end of the summer may be hard to do.

I'm just saying that proving a 'hardship' of some kind has become easier and easier. So it seems likely that if he wants it bad enough, he can figure out a way to finagle his way to playing immediately.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
03-17-2023, 09:36 AM

He may come back but you misinterpreted the announcer...He was referencing the news Jans got when he was hired that Tolu was coming back.

Johnson85
03-17-2023, 09:46 AM
I'm just saying that proving a 'hardship' of some kind has become easier and easier. So it seems likely that if he wants it bad enough, he can figure out a way to finagle his way to playing immediately.

Gotcha. THought you were responding to the reference to being a graduate. Also, I think the hardship isn't granted until after you identify a school to transfer to? If he negotiates a deal (presumably contingent on being granted immediate eligibility), then goes through the hardship application, even if he can get a ruling before he finalizes his transfer (I'm not sure if that usually happens?), if he doesn't get the waiver, can he really come back to MSU's team? I would assume we'd move on from him at that point so he'd more or less have to commit to transferring whether he gets immediate eligibility or not. I'm also not sure what kind of deal he could command. I'm certainly glad we have him and think he's a really good piece for Jans, but I'm not sure what other schools are really going to see him as the type of piece to put together a good NIL deal for.

smootness
03-17-2023, 09:48 AM
Gotcha. THought you were responding to the reference to being a graduate. Also, I think the hardship isn't granted until after you identify a school to transfer to? If he negotiates a deal (presumably contingent on being granted immediate eligibility), then goes through the hardship application, even if he can get a ruling before he finalizes his transfer (I'm not sure if that usually happens?), if he doesn't get the waiver, can he really come back to MSU's team? I would assume we'd move on from him at that point so he'd more or less have to commit to transferring whether he gets immediate eligibility or not. I'm also not sure what kind of deal he could command. I'm certainly glad we have him and think he's a really good piece for Jans, but I'm not sure what other schools are really going to see him as the type of piece to put together a good NIL deal for.

I don't disagree, if I'm Jans I ask him if he's in or not for next year and give him a relatively short window to decide and then once he gives me an answer, I'm moving on one way or another. He's been a good player for us and I like him, but he's not a guy you wait around for. If he's in, great. If he's out or not sure if he's in or not, then he's out and we move on to filling his spot.