PDA

View Full Version : Things I'd like to see for next year

Coach34
11-29-2013, 04:51 PM
1. Special Teams coach hired

2. Either fire Koenning or move him to an admin job

3. Mullen is going to run the offense- that's given. So instead of replacing Les with an OC- hire a young QB coach that is a recruiting, social media machine.

4. Make Gonzales the Passing Game Coordinator or some shit to get him a payraise- and let him help Mullen with gameplanning.

5. Take that extra 100K from getting rid of an OC and give it to Collins. Get his pay to 500K or so. That's a good salary living in Starkville, Ms.

6. More two back sets on offense. JRob and Shump on the field at the same time would be good for us.

7. Try to limit QB runs to 10-12 per game.

8. No more CB blitzes on defense

9. Nick James continue to do what is necessary so he can be another force at DT. Word is he is doing very well right now.

10. DeRunnya not play basketball so he can continue to work on his WR skills. He can become a force on offense next year.

11. A walk-on kicker come in and push for the FG job. Bell is fine punting and kicking off

I'm sure I'll think of more- those are just a few that stand out right now

msstate7
11-29-2013, 04:58 PM
More triple option football.

Get Malcolm Johnson 8-12 targets a game.

Use shump like dixon senior year.

hailmari
11-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Good list. I love #3.

I'm sure we know what needs to be done with the jumbotron usage..

Todd4State
11-29-2013, 05:17 PM
1. Agree

2. Les is a pretty good recruiter though. To me Sallach is the expendable one. If we can get a QB guru- I do think we absolutely have to go that route. But it would have to be a home run hire.

3. I don't totally 100% agree about Les, but I do agree we need better recruiters especially on the offensive staff.

4. Agree.

5. Totally agree. Raising assistant coaching salaries is the biggest issue we have right now IMO.

6. Totally agree. I wish we had seen more of that this year as well.

7. Totally agree. I think having Robinson and Shumpert will help a lot with this as well.

8. Worst call in football.

9. Nick and Quay both. They could be beasts.

10. Bear is going to play in the NFL. I want to see Robert Johnson some in the slot- he is very physical and he brings a different dimension to the slot.

11. I totally agree.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I said several of those things in a post below so of course I agree with most. I do disagree on Les though. He is a good recruiter, good with the press and alumni, brings some experience to the staff, and he has done a good job developing Relf, Dak, and Williams. He also seems content to be a figure head at OC while Mullen runs the practices and calls most of the plays.

Becoming better in the run game while at the same time protecting Dak is very important.

I would also like to see Mullen work on our tempo. And our 4 minute (do we even have one) and our 2 minute offense leaves a lot to be desired. The Northwestern game and the end of the Bama game comes to mind immediately.

Our run Defense could be scary good next year if Nick James comes to play along with the progression of Chris Jones. Fletcher Cox made a huge jump from his true freshmen to sophomore year. If CJ follows suit, look out.

We need to move J. Cox to FS. We got a glimpse of his range and leaping ability with that INT vs OM last night.

Dawgfan77
11-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Brian Johnson Asst OC at Utah. From Texas played under Mullen.

Lloyd Christmas
11-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Mullen MUST hire a ST coach for us to have a ten win season next year.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Hiring a special team's coach in numero uno.

Whether Mullen delegates special teams or coaches them himself, no one on staff is taking complete ownership of them.

I want one person in charge of special teams. I want a guy whose career depends on the success of that unit. I want a guy that thinks all day about how to gain an advantage in special teams, I want a guy that wakes up at 2:00 am with ideas about how to block an Alabama punt. I want our special teams to one person's life.

It's that important.

Fred Garvin
11-29-2013, 06:00 PM
I like the idea of limiting qb runs. It's painfully clear that a Mullen's offense eats up quarterbacks.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Whether Mullen delegates special teams or coaches them himself, no one on staff is taking complete ownership of them.

I want one person in charge of special teams. I want a guy whose career depends on the success of that unit. I want a guy that thinks all day about how to gain an advantage in special teams, I want a guy that wakes up at 2:00 am with ideas about how to block an Alabama punt. I want our special teams to one person's life.

It's that important.

This ^^^ 100%. It's seems Mullen would welcome this change. He can focus on game management and the offense. Stricklin needs to go to him with a budget for the special teams hire. It needs to be a true coach and not some GA.

Todd4State
11-29-2013, 06:13 PM

It's that important.

It's a third of the game IMO. And we at MSU can not afford to be bad in special teams. We can not afford to just give away points and field position to the opponent. Reality is we have some disadvantages when we play people like Alabama. If we have really good special teams- we can offset some of those disadvantages to a degree.

Martianlander
11-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Definitely need a field goal kicker.
Les is going to retire. As I've said before the new OC will knock your socks off.
At least one other change on the offensive staff, but they haven't decided definitely on a replacement yet.
Agree Mullen should hire a ST coach but he hasn't reached that decision yet.
Remember Bear Bryant said "I don't coach much anymore (sic) I just go around and worry my assistants".

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Definitely need a field goal kicker.
Les is going to retire. As I've said before the new OC will knock your socks off.
At least one other change on the offensive staff, but they haven't decided definitely on a replacement yet.
Agree Mullen should hire a ST coach but he hasn't reached that decision yet.
Remember Bear Bryant said "I don't coach much anymore (sic) I just go around and worry my assistants".

Dan, is this you?

Any hints on who you'll hire as the OC?

If it's gonna knock my socks off, is it a current OC or head coach?

Dawgfan77
11-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Season is over except for bowl game so give us a bone

archdog
11-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Mike Leech needs to come back to civilization