PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Hines

Cowbell
03-12-2023, 02:28 PM
There is nobody in college baseball right now that is squaring up the ball quite like Hines is right now. If you haven't watched his HRs, go back and watch on Twitter. His doubles are pretty similar as well. I would not want to be on 1st base when he pulls a line drive down the line. The ball just sounds different. I'm glad he is on our team. He's fun to watch right now.

WinningIsRelentless
03-12-2023, 02:47 PM
He?s barely hitting his weight and leading the team in k?s. I wouldn?t call that squaring the ball up.

MetEdDawg
03-12-2023, 02:55 PM
There is nobody in college baseball right now that is squaring up the ball quite like Hines is right now. If you haven't watched his HRs, go back and watch on Twitter. His doubles are pretty similar as well. I would not want to be on 1st base when he pulls a line drive down the line. The ball just sounds different. I'm glad he is on our team. He's fun to watch right now.

First baseman is the only guy on the field that really has to worry about Hines hitting a ball to.

Anyone that doesn't pitch Hines outer third and heavy off speed is an idiot. Him and Kellum Clark won't hit above .200 in conference play if they don't start covering the outer third better and having an inside out approach. They are tanking balls pull side which is great.

But in conference play those misses won't happen as often. They have to put pressure on the other side of the field or they will be easy outs.

Leroy Jenkins
03-12-2023, 03:21 PM

Swing hard in case you hit it... I guess.

BrunswickDawg
03-12-2023, 03:28 PM
He?s barely hitting his weight and leading the team in k?s. I wouldn?t call that squaring the ball up.

He hit .411 this week and raised his average 42 points and had 3 HR. He will be fine

State82
03-12-2023, 03:30 PM
First baseman is the only guy on the field that really has to worry about Hines hitting a ball to.

Anyone that doesn't pitch Hines outer third and heavy off speed is an idiot. Him and Kellum Clark won't hit above .200 in conference play if they don't start covering the outer third better and having an inside out approach. They are tanking balls pull side which is great.

But in conference play those misses won't happen as often. They have to put pressure on the other side of the field or they will be easy outs.
Unfortunately, but true.

Todd4State
03-12-2023, 03:45 PM

I thought I read something this week about Hines trying to use the whole field more and that coicncided with his current hot streak.

R2Dawg
03-12-2023, 03:48 PM

Wasn't it either Babe Ruth or Hank Arron that led MLB in strikeouts?

We have some big sluggers on this team.

WinningIsRelentless
03-12-2023, 03:56 PM

Babe Ruth career avg was 345 and Hank Aaron career avg was 305. Avg means a lot more than the number of bombs you hit. It?s baseball not adult league softball.

BuckyIsAB****
03-12-2023, 03:58 PM
Him and Clark are the same players they were when they stepped on campus.

Homedawg
03-12-2023, 04:02 PM
He hit .411 this week and raised his average 42 points and had 3 HR. He will be fine
But still.

Really Clark?
03-12-2023, 04:15 PM

Babe Ruth lead the league in Strikeouts 5 times. However he never had more than 93 K'a in a season. Totally different era with strikeouts considered a disgrace by hitters and much different pitching than today. For reference there were over 160 players last season with more than 93 strikeouts.

BrunswickDawg
03-12-2023, 04:24 PM
But still.

Clark is the bad one - he only hit .375 this week with only 2 HR. He's only raised his average 80 points since the Ohio State game.

R2Dawg
03-12-2023, 04:35 PM
Babe Ruth career avg was 345 and Hank Aaron career avg was 305. Avg means a lot more than the number of bombs you hit. It?s baseball not adult league softball.

You can't defend your comment so you change the narrative. Playbook of those with a weak argument.

1. Changing the topic from strikeouts to hitting ave does not win your point.

2. I never said anything about hitting bombs.

3. Insulting another view doesn't make you win your point either.

Hines is good at the plate, however you want to slice it.

Come on man.

WinningIsRelentless
03-12-2023, 04:51 PM

You can't defend your comment so you change the narrative. Playbook of those with a weak argument.

1. Changing the topic from strikeouts to hitting ave does not win your point.

2. I never said anything about hitting bombs.

3. Insulting another view doesn't make you win your point either.

Hines is good at the plate, however you want to slice it.

Come on man.

He is hitting 240 that?s not good. Defend 240.

Cowbell
03-12-2023, 04:56 PM

He's hitting .240 because he started the season ice cold. I tell you what. You tell the next team we face that he's hitting .240 / I bet they will feel pretty confident he's an easy out***

CaptainObvious
03-12-2023, 05:02 PM
I?m going to have to defend Hines and Clark here even though I was critical of them earlier and felt they needed to sit. Not dir for a long time, just sit a game or two during the mid week. Two years ago Rowdy Jordan and Tanner Allen had slow starts. They played through it and led us to a NC! Let?s let Hines and Clark work through it.

Cowbell
03-14-2023, 06:47 PM
He's hitting .240 because he started the season ice cold. I tell you what. You tell the next team we face that he's hitting .240 / I bet they will feel pretty confident he's an easy out***

Bump for an Easy out

was21
03-14-2023, 06:49 PM
The Lewis boy from Vicksburg (Warren Central) that Lemonis ran off is tearing it up at Troy. He was the national player of the week a week or so ago. Lemonis told him in effect to look elsewhere because he wasn't going to get much playing time at State. Guess stuff happens when talent is not seen.

Cowbell
03-14-2023, 07:03 PM
The Lewis boy from Vicksburg (Warren Central) that Lemonis ran off is tearing it up at Troy. He was the national player of the week a week or so ago. Lemonis told him in effect to look elsewhere because he wasn't going to get much playing time at State. Guess stuff happens when talent is not seen.

This thread is about Hunter Hines and his talent - he is on our team. Troy has played nobody any good on their schedule yet. They just lost a series to Florida Gulf Coast.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2023, 07:10 PM

So who would he have played in front of in the outfield last year or this year? Likely no one. Coaches recommend players move on every year. Some of them go on to do well. That's baseball.

R2Dawg
03-14-2023, 07:12 PM

Dude can you read and comprehend my post? I never said anything about his hitting average. You keep trying to prove a point no one made.

was21
03-14-2023, 07:13 PM
No need to get touchy...just stating a fact...have a good night.

R2Dawg
03-14-2023, 07:53 PM
OK I give, Hines sucks***

Cowbell
03-14-2023, 07:57 PM
OK I give, Hines sucks***
Another easy out***

Cowbell
03-14-2023, 07:59 PM
I know some of you didn't take me serious the other day. But you need to pay attention. He is hitting the ball different right now. That's now 6 HRs in his last 7 games.

BrunswickDawg
03-14-2023, 08:09 PM
I know some of you didn't take me serious the other day. But you need to pay attention. He is hitting the ball different right now. That's now 6 HRs in his last 7 games.

That's why you let players with talent work their way thru issues. Every year someone starts slow and idiots start calling for them to get benched. Well Hines again shows why you don't react and bench talent for no reason.

State82
03-14-2023, 08:16 PM
That ball was massively struck.

Cowbell
03-14-2023, 08:20 PM
That's why you let players with talent work their way thru issues. Every year someone starts slow and idiots start calling for them to get benched. Well Hines again shows why you don't react and bench talent for no reason.
Yes. I feel like Lemonis gives kids the chance to work through things instead of quitting on them and he often takes way too much heat over it.

Commercecomet24
03-14-2023, 09:26 PM
I'm so glad Hines is still the same player as last year, lol!

Commercecomet24
03-14-2023, 09:26 PM
Yes. I feel like Lemonis gives kids the chance to work through things instead of quitting on them and he often takes way too much heat over it.

It's what really good coaches do.

Commercecomet24
03-14-2023, 09:27 PM

You get it Bruns!

tireddawg
03-14-2023, 09:37 PM

Doesn?t seem to be aging well..

Cowbell
03-14-2023, 10:35 PM
I'm so glad Hines is still the same player as last year, lol!

It's like deja vu

CaptainObvious
03-14-2023, 11:26 PM
It's like deja vu
All over again.

KB21
03-14-2023, 11:30 PM
I bet the same people who think running the ball is important are the same ones that feel like batting average is important.

Goldendawg
03-14-2023, 11:34 PM
You get it Bruns!

Don't forget he broke his arm in fall practice. Getting back "in the swing"! Hail Hunter! Hail State!

Commercecomet24
03-15-2023, 12:04 AM
Don't forget he broke his arm in fall practice. Getting back "in the swing"! Hail Hunter! Hail State!

Man I completely forgot about that. Yeah he's starting to get the stroke back and he's hitting missles

StarkVegasSteve
03-15-2023, 12:10 AM
He's liable to hit 5 homers this weekend in that cracker box in Lexington. Especially with the wind blowing out Friday night.

Commercecomet24
03-15-2023, 12:15 AM
Hines also been playing better defense lately too. Made a couple really nice plays tonight.

BrunswickDawg
03-15-2023, 07:04 AM
Hines also been playing better defense lately too. Made a couple really nice plays tonight.

Position changes are all about PT and confidence. You WILL suck when you move for about 5-6 games. Practice and drills just can't simulate what you see and feel during the game, no matter how many reps you take. But, quality players will adjust and will gain confidence the more they play and gain the comfort they need to play the position. Hines hasn't been charged with an error since game 3.

Cowbell
03-15-2023, 08:55 AM

That barehand was special

Cowbell
03-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Hines led us with two hits tonight....easy out

Commercecomet24
03-15-2023, 08:27 PM
Position changes are all about PT and confidence. You WILL suck when you move for about 5-6 games. Practice and drills just can't simulate what you see and feel during the game, no matter how many reps you take. But, quality players will adjust and will gain confidence the more they play and gain the comfort they need to play the position. Hines hasn't been charged with an error since game 3.

Exactly!

Commercecomet24
03-15-2023, 08:28 PM
Hines led us with two hits tonight....easy out

Same player as last year, no improvement*******

Turfdawg67
03-15-2023, 08:49 PM

A bunch on this board wanted to bench Rowdy every year! Lolz

Commercecomet24
03-15-2023, 08:51 PM
A bunch on this board wanted to bench Rowdy every year! Lolz

Every single year! Baseball is just such a different sport and you have to let good players get through the slumps because they will happen and a lot of folks don't get that.

Cowbell
03-18-2023, 01:46 PM
#easyout with a 450ft HR

Cowbell
03-18-2023, 01:51 PM
Oh look - easyout with another homerun - and I will admit he didn't even square that up....

Commercecomet24
03-18-2023, 01:52 PM
#easyout with a 450ft HR

Yep same player as last year, lol.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2023, 01:53 PM
Oh look - easyout with another homerun - and I will admit he didn't even square that up....

Man I thought he hit it straight up. I know the wind helped but dude has some serious power

Cowbell
03-18-2023, 02:09 PM
Man I thought he hit it straight up. I know the wind helped but dude has some serious power

I really feel like he is Brent Rooker kinda special and many of our fans don't realize it yet.

Commercecomet24
03-18-2023, 02:13 PM
I really feel like he is Brent Rooker kinda special and many of our fans don't realize it yet.

He's getting there for sure. He has massive power and tremendous bat speed. Once he starts going oppo more he's really gonna be a terror.

Ari Gold
03-18-2023, 04:36 PM

You probably thought Cumbest was a really good hitter

Lord McBuckethead
03-19-2023, 05:34 AM
I thought I read something this week about Hines trying to use the whole field more and that coicncided with his current hot streak.

Yes you did hear that and then he proceeded to trying to pull every single pitch. I watched every at bat on his current streak leading up to the first Kentucky game. He hasn?t tried going the other way a single swing. He has been extremely lucky pitchers have made the mistake throwing him something middle in almost in every at bat.

In SEC play, no SEC pitcher should come in on him but go outer half and off speed a bunch. If they do that effectively and Hines is up there like a gorilla, his hot streak is going to end with a bunch of weak contact fly outs. Dude needs to commit to driving the ball to the oppo gap. But he won?t.

Lord McBuckethead
03-19-2023, 05:36 AM

Yes you did hear that and then he proceeded to trying to pull every single pitch. I watched every at bat on his current streak leading up to the first Kentucky game. He hasn?t tried going the other way a single swing. He has been extremely lucky pitchers have made the mistake throwing him something middle in almost in every at bat.

In SEC play, no SEC pitcher should come in on him but go outer half and off speed a bunch. If they do that effectively and Hines is up there like a gorilla, his hot streak is going to end with a bunch of weak contact fly outs. Dude needs to commit to driving the ball to the oppo gap. But he won?t.

Babe Ruth never had to face down 130 pitchers in a season that can throw hard cutters and 97 mph fastballs.

Cowbell
03-19-2023, 06:50 AM

Babe Ruth never had to face down 130 pitchers in a season that can throw hard cutters and 97 mph fastballs.

I would not tell a guy averaging .400 and 2 RBIs a game over his last 8 games to change his approach. Maybe once pitchers adjust, but not yet. We have no issue getting runners on base, but we absolutely can't seem to drive them in except for Hines.

BuckyIsAB****
03-19-2023, 08:41 AM
Him and Clark are still the exact same players they were. Maybe even better at being the exact same pull a solo HR to RF or K players. Hines is no doubt our best hittter right now. My point wasn?t that he sucks, it?s that just like this team nothing has changed

Cowbell
03-19-2023, 12:24 PM
Him and Clark are still the exact same players they were. Maybe even better at being the exact same pull a solo HR to RF or K players. Hines is no doubt our best hittter right now. My point wasn?t that he sucks, it?s that just like this team nothing has changed

You really don't think Hines has improved?

BuckyIsAB****
03-19-2023, 05:29 PM
You really don't think Hines has improved?

He is better at doing exactly what he did last year. There is nothing on this team worth patting on the back

Cooterpoot
03-19-2023, 05:33 PM
I think Hines has room for improvement defensively but he's coming off injury. I think Clark has his moments too. Those two were about the only two to show up this weekend. Our transfer guys that got bragged on so much looked ruffff.

Cowbell
04-16-2023, 11:24 PM
Batting .336 with 17 HRs and 47RBIs.... I can't honestly remember the last game he didn't hit a home run.

KB21
04-16-2023, 11:51 PM
He needs to be more willing to bunt to move a runner over.

SpaceBully
04-17-2023, 01:17 AM
Hines is on fire. I still couldn't tell if that HR down the RF line was fair or foul. Do we even have a yellow foul pole in that corner? I don't remember seeing one.

Leeshouldveflanked
04-17-2023, 06:20 AM
I think you need to switch him and Jordan in the batting order

R2Dawg
04-17-2023, 06:21 AM
Hines is on fire. I still couldn't tell if that HR down the RF line was fair or foul. Do we even have a yellow foul pole in that corner? I don't remember seeing one.

Yep foul pole is there but Hines hit such a moon shot it was almost useless.

Anyone that pitches to Hines right now is asking for it.

Homedawg
04-17-2023, 08:42 AM
I think Hines has room for improvement defensively but he's coming off injury. I think Clark has his moments too. Those two were about the only two to show up this weekend. Our transfer guys that got bragged on so much looked ruffff.

Transfers looked rough?? You forget Ledbetter's sat game? 2 jacks?? Yes Larry did. Ledbetter helped us win the sat game.

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2023, 08:45 AM
Transfers looked rough?? You forget Ledbetter's sat game? 2 jacks?? Yes Larry did. Ledbetter helped us win the sat game.

Check the date. He posted that after we got dragged by UK.

MetEdDawg
04-17-2023, 09:30 AM
I'll have to admit. Hines looks so much better now than he did when this thread started. He looked horrible at the plate.

Dude is mashing right now. He's got to lay off early breaking stuff still, but he doesn't seem to care what the count is. Whenever he finds his pitch, he doesn't miss it. And he has pretty good patience when behind in the count which is not a quality you find a lot of.

Homedawg
04-17-2023, 10:03 AM
Check the date. He posted that after we got dragged by UK.

ha my bad

mparkerfd20
04-17-2023, 11:12 AM
Amazing what a month can do. I started to call someone clueless until I saw the date. Hines is absolutely mashing now and one of the best in college baseball. That wasn't true not long ago.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 11:18 AM
I think you need to switch him and Jordan in the batting order

I thought about this myself, because that would split Ledbetter and Hines(lefties), with a right handed bat, but Dakota offers Hunter protection nobody else in the lineup can offer. If you pitch around Hines you have to face Dakota, and with Dakota raking, Hines is either gonna get some pitches to hit or you're gonna face Dakota if you pitch around Hines. Tough choice for a pitcher!

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2023, 11:21 AM
Hunter just needs to continue to improve and build on this weekend. Oddly enough, statistically he wasn't great at the plate this weekend. He was only 3-11, however his 3 hits were all HRs when we desperately needed them. If he could push that to even 4 or 5 hits for the weekend and cut down on the Ks the top 4 in our order of Mershon, Ledbetter, Hines, and Jordan starts looking like an absolute murderers row. Add that in to Larry and Highfill starting to pick it up in those 8 and 9 spots and we all of a sudden look like one of the best lineups in the SEC.

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2023, 11:23 AM
I thought about this myself, because that would split Ledbetter and Hines(lefties), with a right handed bat, but Dakota offers Hunter protection nobody else in the lineup can offer. If you pitch around Hines you have to face Dakota, and with Dakota raking, Hines is either gonna get some pitches to hit or you're gonna face Dakota if you pitch around Hines. Tough choice for a pitcher!

Took the words right out of my mouth. With the way Dakota is hitting it right now, if you pitch around Hunter then Dakota will run into one and turn your mistake into a 2 run bomb off the lofts.

KB21
04-17-2023, 11:37 AM

I would lead off with Ledbetter and hit Hines and Jordan 2 and 3 in the order.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 12:06 PM
I would lead off with Ledbetter and hit Hines and Jordan 2 and 3 in the order.

Agreed. The top 3 hitters in the lineup always average about 1 extra ab a game and that 1 ab can be huge. Those are our 3 best hitters right now for sure, get them that extra ab!

SpaceWranglerDawg
04-17-2023, 12:28 PM

Did you watch this weekend? We don?t win without him.

Goldendawg
04-17-2023, 12:41 PM
Hunter just needs to continue to improve and build on this weekend. Oddly enough, statistically he wasn't great at the plate this weekend. He was only 3-11, however his 3 hits were all HRs when we desperately needed them. If he could push that to even 4 or 5 hits for the weekend and cut down on the Ks the top 4 in our order of Mershon, Ledbetter, Hines, and Jordan starts looking like an absolute murderers row. Add that in to Larry and Highfill starting to pick it up in those 8 and 9 spots and we all of a sudden look like one of the best lineups in the SEC.

Our 1st baseman had a rough series at the plate. Need to get him going again. He is still batting .297 and has scored 30 runs.

DownwardDawg
04-17-2023, 12:54 PM
Did you watch this weekend? We don?t win without him.

You might want to check the date of the post you're replying to. It was a month ago.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 02:25 PM
Our 1st baseman had a rough series at the plate. Need to get him going again. He is still batting .297 and has scored 30 runs.

Hes struggling a little at the plate for sure but he did save forsyth about 3 more errors and that could've cost us game 2. Even as it was forsyth errors cost us 2 runs in a one run game. If Luke doesn't come up with a couple of those throws we lose that game. He's a much better defensive 1B than Hines and why Hines has been Dhing

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2023, 02:43 PM

Luke had a bad weekend at the plate but as CC24 stated, we don't win those games without Luke in the field. He saved us a few times. His ability to pick balls and stretch out for bad throws differentiate him from Hunter. I'll live with him struggling a bit at the plate if he's playing 1B as well as he is.

Leroy Jenkins
04-17-2023, 02:43 PM
Hes struggling a little at the plate for sure but he did save forsyth about 3 more errors and that could've cost us game 2. Even as it was forsyth errors cost us 2 runs in a one run game. If Luke doesn't come up with a couple of those throws we lose that game. He's a much better defensive 1B than Hines and why Hines has been Dhing

Yeah, Lane ran him into the base runner 2 or 3 times without getting him hurt.... then over corrected and nearly pulled him off the bag into right field 2 or 3 more times.

SPMT
04-17-2023, 02:49 PM

What is the deal with fielding?

I see it in my kid and others. They are younger. But you know the ability but sometimes they hit a rough patch in fielding as they can in the other areas.

With hitting is usually seems to work itself out but fielding I don?t know any slumbusters.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 02:50 PM
I feel bad for Lane, he's been so reliable defensively in his career but now it's in his head and the hardest slump to overcome is the mental ones. You can just see the tentativeness in him, the way he goes after the ball, the throws, he's just hoping and praying he catches it and then makes a good throw, instead of going at it with aggressiveness. Really hard to watch someone who's been really good suffer like this. If you've been there you know what I mean. He needs a break and hopefully he can help us in the future.

Leroy Jenkins
04-17-2023, 02:53 PM
I feel bad for Lane, he's been so reliable defensively in his career but now it's in his head and the hardest slump to overcome is the mental ones. You can just see the tentativeness in him, the way he goes after the ball, the throws, he's just hoping and praying he catches it and then makes a good throw, instead of going at it with aggressiveness. Really hard to watch someone who's been really good suffer like this. If you've been there you know what I mean. He needs a break and hopefully he can help us in the future.

It really is strange to see someone in such a fielding slump, you expect it at the plate, but I cant get my head around how you forget how to catch and throw. One thing for sure, he is a much better defender than he has shown recently. Its baffling.

SPMT
04-17-2023, 02:53 PM

Yep.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 02:54 PM
What is the deal with fielding?

I see it in my kid and others. They are younger. But you know the ability but sometimes they hit a rough patch in fielding as they can in the other areas.

With hitting is usually seems to work itself out but fielding I don?t know any slumbusters.

Funny you just posted this, but I just made a post about this exact thing. And there aren't really any slumpbusters for fielding. You just have to change the mindset and get aggressive again. You literally cannot let the ball play you on defense because it will and that's what's happening with Lane. He's hoping they don't hit it to him and then he's just hoping to field it and make a good throw, instead of going at it aggressively. Some guys never get over it and some have to change positions. Mickey Mantle started as a ss but if you think Lane was bad, Mickey made like 60 errors his first year in them minors so they moved him to CF.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 02:56 PM
It really is strange to see someone in such a fielding slump, you expect it at the plate, but I cant get my head around how you forget how to catch and throw. One thing for sure, he is a much better defender than he has shown recently. Its baffling.

It's all mental at this point. He hasn't lost his ability to play defense, he's basically scared to make an error and when you do that, you're definetly gonna make them.

MStateDawg
04-17-2023, 03:16 PM
He is still batting .297 and has scored 30 runs.

In SEC play, he's hitting just .227 with 6 RBIs.

SPMT
04-17-2023, 03:26 PM
Funny you just posted this, but I just made a post about this exact thing. And there aren't really any slumpbusters for fielding. You just have to change the mindset and get aggressive again. You literally cannot let the ball play you on defense because it will and that's what's happening with Lane. He's hoping they don't hit it to him and then he's just hoping to field it and make a good throw, instead of going at it aggressively. Some guys never get over it and some have to change positions. Mickey Mantle started as a ss but if you think Lane was bad, Mickey made like 60 errors his first year in them minors so they moved him to CF.

Makes sense

BrunswickDawg
04-17-2023, 03:30 PM
It's all mental at this point. He hasn't lost his ability to play defense, he's basically scared to make an error and when you do that, you're definetly gonna make them.

It's a terrible feeling. I went through a patch so bad playing SS that I actually flipped a ball to the 3B to make a routine throw because I had convinced my self I would throw it away. Coach finally realized I was done and moved me back to 2B.

Activated Alpha
04-17-2023, 03:34 PM
That’s why I will never boo Lane or call him derogatory nicknames because I know the level of defense he can play. Without his defense during the ‘21 run I don’t know if we win a natty. This is all in his head and a couple of weekends to sit and watch might be the reset he needs. Every player has been there and even elite players.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 03:37 PM
It's a terrible feeling. I went through a patch so bad playing SS that I actually flipped a ball to the 3B to make a routine throw because I had convinced my self I would throw it away. Coach finally realized I was done and moved me back to 2B.

Yeah, it's just so mental. If you've ever been in fielding slump it seems like every ground ball is bouncing like a super ball and first base looks like its on the next continent!

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 03:38 PM
That’s why I will never boo Lane or call him derogatory nicknames because I know the level of defense he can play. Without his defense during the ‘21 run I don’t know if we win a natty. This is all in his head and a couple of weekends to sit and watch might be the reset he needs. Every player has been there and even elite players.

Amen to this, 100%!

The Federalist Engineer
04-17-2023, 03:42 PM

He weighs 339 lbs?

He has 17 HRs with half an SEC season to go. Just on HRs, this is a historically significant statistic.

In his miracle year, Rooker hit 23. Let that sink in.

This is the best HR total since Renfroe hit 16 with a dead bat. That would have been 32 with today's bat.

Goldendawg
04-17-2023, 03:50 PM
Yeah, it's just so mental. If you've ever been in fielding slump it seems like every ground ball is bouncing like a super ball and first base looks like its on the next continent!

Wasn't there a pro infielder who got into this type slump with his throws to first and never got out of it? Can't recall his nam. Cost him his career, I think.

State82
04-17-2023, 03:53 PM
You might want to check the date of the post you're replying to. It was a month ago.
This rejuvenated thread from weeks ago has some people contotally fused.

State82
04-17-2023, 03:56 PM
Wasn't there a pro infielder who got into this type slump with his throws to first and never got out of it? Can't recall his nam. Cost him his career, I think.
Steve Sax

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 03:56 PM

There's been a few. Chuck Knoblauch was the last i remember, had to become a DH because he couldn't make the throw from 2nd to 1B anymore. Steve Sax of the Dodgers got the yips too. Dale Murphy was a catcher but they had to move him to CF because he couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher without throwing it away, he was throwing balls into CF trying to make the return throw back to the pitcher. There's others but those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. It's happened to many pitchers(the yips), where they just lose all ability to throw strikes. Baseball is so mental and anything can trigger these things to start. Most times they get corrected but sometimes it never gets corrected.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 03:57 PM

Yes it has lol!

Goldendawg
04-17-2023, 03:59 PM
That?s why I will never boo Lane or call him derogatory nicknames because I know the level of defense he can play. Without his defense during the ?21 run I don?t know if we win a natty. This is all in his head and a couple of weekends to sit and watch might be the reset he needs. Every player has been there and even elite players.

I booed once during a football game that I meant to direct at our coaches right before halftime. Can't remember which staff, as we have had many opportunities over the years unfortunately.****. I was admonished quickly by a family member at once, felt very bad, and have never done it again as players don't know who is it is directed at and hear it also. I am fortunate to sit on row 20 behind the State bench and have called out coaches many times over the years. Nearly went hoarse yelling for JoMo to get the play in for those two years!**. Hail State!

Tripp McNeely
04-17-2023, 04:04 PM
There's been a few. Chuck Knoblauch was the last i remember, had to become a DH because he couldn't make the throw from 2nd to 1B anymore. Steve Sax of the Dodgers got the yips too. Dale Murphy was a catcher but they had to move him to CF because he couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher without throwing it away, he was throwing balls into CF trying to make the return throw back to the pitcher. There's others but those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. It's happened to many pitchers(the yips), where they just lose all ability to throw strikes. Baseball is so mental and anything can trigger these things to start. Most times they get corrected but sometimes it never gets corrected.

Mackey Sasser catcher (for the Mets, I think) couldn't throw it back to the pitcher...neither could Rue Baker of the Indians, but thank goodness Jake Taylor was there to get him back on track.

Goldendawg
04-17-2023, 04:05 PM
Steve Sax

Thanks, that's one I remember along with Knoblauch especially.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 04:10 PM
Mackey Sasser catcher (for the Mets, I think) couldn't throw it back to the pitcher...neither could Rue Baker of the Indians, but thank goodness Jake Taylor was there to get him back on track.

Yeah lol I think it was rehashing the likes/dislikes of playmates while making the return throw back to the pitcher that got rube going again! We need to hire Jake to work with Lane!

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 04:11 PM

It's amazing what the human mind can do, both positive and negative!

Goldendawg
04-17-2023, 04:15 PM
In SEC play, he's hitting just .227 with 6 RBIs.

Wow, that's defense keeping him in lineup numbers that has led to criticism for several other players over the years along with some harsh nicknames, including one of my relatives recently. King of creating nicknames hasn't posted lately. What's happened to him? Asking for a friend.****

EdwardDrayton
04-17-2023, 05:28 PM

In my young baseball playing days (16-18) we had a catcher with a mental thing about throwing it back to the pitcher. A righty with a strong arm he nailed A TON of lefthanded hitters right in the side of the helmet while they stood in the batter's box. Took teams a while to understand he really wasn't doing it on purpose; it was something truly mental. There were however a lot of dustups with opposing teams until they understood his problem. He was the coach's son.

DownwardDawg
04-17-2023, 06:11 PM

Lol. It's happened to me before for sure.

Activated Alpha
04-17-2023, 06:59 PM

I remember doing this when my coach wanted to try me out at catcher. Just kept nonchalantly throwing it over the pitcher?s head while on my knees. Like la-di-freaking-dah, oh whoops sorry coach. After 5-6 times and my coach yelling at me, I had to stand up to throw it back every time. Coach moved me back to LF haha

Commercecomet24
04-17-2023, 07:23 PM
I remember doing this when my coach wanted to try me out at catcher. Just kept nonchalantly throwing it over the pitcher?s head while on my knees. Like la-di-freaking-dah, oh whoops sorry coach. After 5-6 times and my coach yelling at me, I had to stand up to throw it back every time. Coach moved me back to LF haha

Lol that's a good one!

State82
04-17-2023, 07:45 PM
Sax even had the term "Steve Sax Syndrome" coined. Gotta be a tough deal. But the yips are real.