PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's rooting guide

msudawg1200
03-09-2023, 06:40 PM
San Jose State to beat Nevada. SJSU is up 31-26 at the half.
Illinois to beat Penn State. Need the Illini to win bad.
Texas to beat Okie State. Need to go ahead and end the Pokes chances.
Creighton to beat Villanova. Don't need Nova making a miracle Big East Tourney run.
FAU to beat WKU. Need FAU to win CUSA.
Virginia to beat UNC. In no way do I trust the committee to leave out a 21 win UNC.
NC State to beat Clemson. Just to finish Clemson off.
USC to beat Arizona State. Same as above. Just to get the Devils out of the way.
I'd say UNLV over Boise and New Mexico over Utah St, but I think the MWC is getting three, possibly four. I'd rather knock out UNLV and New Mexico to avoid a possible bid stealer. As stated above, need Nevada to lose.

Tripp McNeely
03-09-2023, 07:01 PM
San Jose State to beat Nevada. SJSU is up 31-26 at the half.
Illinois to beat Penn State. Need the Illini to win bad.
Texas to beat Okie State. Need to go ahead and end the Pokes chances.
Creighton to beat Villanova. Don't need Nova making a miracle Big East Tourney run.
FAU to beat WKU. Need FAU to win CUSA.
Virginia to beat UNC. In no way do I trust the committee to leave out a 21 win UNC.
NC State to beat Clemson. Just to finish Clemson off.
USC to beat Arizona State. Same as above. Just to get the Devils out of the way.
I'd say UNLV over Boise and New Mexico over Utah St, but I think the MWC is getting three, possibly four. I'd rather knock out UNLV and New Mexico to avoid a possible bid stealer. As stated above, need Nevada to lose.

We're in...it doesn't really matter at this point

BeardoMSU
03-09-2023, 07:05 PM

Would love to lock up a 64 bid and avoid play-in game, tho.

Quaoarsking
03-09-2023, 07:10 PM

You just never know. It's better to have other bubble teams falter just in case.

R2Dawg
03-09-2023, 07:19 PM
Would love to lock up a 64 bid and avoid play-in game, tho.

Agree, but it would take some weird stuff to knock us out of 64. We were an 11 seed prior to winning today.

Quaoarsking
03-09-2023, 07:23 PM
Agree, but it would take some weird stuff to knock us out of 64. We were an 11 seed prior to winning today.

According to Lunardi, who does have inside sources, but is not infallible. There have been examples of teams that Lunardi thought were in but turned out not to be.

I'm not being a doomer or a chicken little - I think we are very likely in no matter what happens tomorrow. I just cringe a little when people say we're a "lock" to make it when the committee just makes up random criteria from year to year and there's no consistency. We need to win tomorrow, and we need other bubble teams to lose, just to make our case that much stronger. We can't say with 100% certainty that the members of the committee don't have us in the "first __ out" line right now.

msudawg1200
03-09-2023, 07:36 PM
Seeding. T3 Bracketology on Twitter said that we are out of the play in for now, but that could change if the teams below us keep winning, or there is a bid stealer. We're Mississippi State. We need to cover all the bases.

SailingDawg
03-09-2023, 07:47 PM
Auburn is down to Arkansas in the first half. I guess Bruce Pearl is in no matter what.

OT: I had no idea Louisville had only won four games!

SpaceWranglerDawg
03-09-2023, 07:50 PM
Auburn is down to Arkansas in the first half. I guess Bruce Pearl is in no matter what.

OT: I had no idea Louisville had only won four games!

I looked this up earlier in the week....Louisville has not had single digit wins since 1941.

trob115
03-09-2023, 08:13 PM
Down goes Nevada.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-09-2023, 08:32 PM
I looked this up earlier in the week....Louisville has not had single digit wins since 1941.

So you are telling me that MSU football will win a natty this season? Pay Arnett!

chef dixon
03-09-2023, 09:01 PM
Bye bye UNC... Oklahoma state you next buddy

RLM38654
03-09-2023, 09:16 PM
Bye bye UNC... Oklahoma state you next buddy

Bye Bye Okie State

MetEdDawg
03-09-2023, 09:18 PM
So far it's been a fairly good day.

Losses by Providence, Oklahoma State, UNC, Nevada, and Pitt. Still a few more games to go before the evening is over.

Rutgers and Penn State both won unfortunately. But a good day overall.

RLM38654
03-09-2023, 09:27 PM
So far it's been a fairly good day.

Losses by Providence, Oklahoma State, UNC, Nevada, and Pitt. Still a few more games to go before the evening is over.

Rutgers and Penn State both won unfortunately. But a good day overall.

Still worried about Bobby ****** Hurley

msstate7
03-09-2023, 10:05 PM
Lunardi now has us as the last team in

HoopsDawg
03-09-2023, 10:22 PM
Oh wow. What happened

msstate7
03-09-2023, 10:23 PM
Oh wow. What happened

Think ESPN had the graphic wrong. The ticker on SECN just showed us as the 1st team on last 4 in

PMDawg
03-09-2023, 10:38 PM
Lunardi now has us as the last team in

Work to do

Mississippi State Bulldogs
"JANS THE MAN" reads the undeniably nifty T-shirt worn by Mississippi State students in Nashville this week. At the SEC tournament's second round, those students watched coach Chris Jans steer his team past Florida in overtime. The version of the Gators without Colin Castleton was no match for MSU's Tolu Smith, who put up a 28-12 double-double. The Bulldogs appear to be on relatively solid footing as a "last four byes" team about to face Alabama in the quarterfinals. If Mississippi State hears its name called Sunday, Jans will have been the man for back-to-back NCAA tournament teams. Last March his New Mexico State Aggies took down UConn before falling to Arkansas. (updated March 9)

RLM38654
03-10-2023, 12:27 AM
Arizona State and Clemson are the two teams I'm really worried about.

SpaceBully
03-10-2023, 02:21 AM
Don't think it would help if Vandy or Arkansas were to run the table and win the SEC tourney. One thing is for sure. Vandy, UT, and KY will dominate the ticket sales the rest of the way. Had Vandy not lost Robbins, I would have bet some money on them taking the tourney title and auto bid.

chef dixon
03-10-2023, 05:12 AM
We are listed at "last bye"

I think at worst teams like Clemson, AZ state, vandy go on big runs that may push us to play in if we lose today

But historically, a lot of the bracket is done by now

msudawg1200
03-10-2023, 05:37 AM

Yeah, it does. We are back down to the Last 4 in. Let FAU lose and Clemson and Arizona St win their conference tourneys, and then see if it doesn't matter.

chef dixon
03-10-2023, 06:19 AM
The committee will like our resume. We already have the wins needed to dance. That's the difference this year than past. Not trying to accumulate them last second like a lot of these other teams

msstate7
03-10-2023, 06:22 AM
Hadn't looked at net in a while... we were 46th before the Florida game. Hopefully we get a little boost there

PGHBulldogBG
03-10-2023, 07:21 AM
It looks pretty simple to me. Assuming we don?t beat Bama we are out of the tournament if 4 of the following things happen. If 3 happen it will be shaky but should make it. If only 2 or less happen we are pretty much a lock

Clemson wins
Rutgers wins
Arizona State wins
Oregon wins pac 12 title
Ohio State wins big 10 title
Houston or Memphis doesn?t win American
FAU doesn?t win C-USA
Boise or SDSU do not win MWC
VCU doesn?t win A10
Vandy wins SEC tournament

So we need at least 7 of those 10 things to not happen to feel good.

MetEdDawg
03-10-2023, 07:23 AM
Hadn't looked at net in a while... we were 46th before the Florida game. Hopefully we get a little boost there

We stayed at 46 based on the latest update for today.

msstate7
03-10-2023, 07:26 AM
We stayed at 46 based on the latest update for today.

I feel ok about making it, but I wouldn't be shocked if we're left out with a loss today.

MetEdDawg
03-10-2023, 07:49 AM
I feel ok about making it, but I wouldn't be shocked if we're left out with a loss today.

At this point I think it's about what others do. If it ended today I think we would be in. So if we lose today, are there 3-4 teams on the bubble or find a way to win their conference that mess up the bubble.

If so we are going to be sweating it out.

No matter what, Jans has us talking NCAA Tournament year 1 and I feel like he's got the chops to get us back to consistent respectability in basketball.

SailingDawg
03-10-2023, 09:43 PM
Cmon Vandy. #****entucky

msstate7
03-10-2023, 09:53 PM
Cmon Vandy. #****entucky

The last thing we want is vandy winning the SECT

PGHBulldogBG
03-10-2023, 10:11 PM
I hate Kentucky more than anyone on this board because I live close enough to them to have to deal with their bandwagon fans but we want them to win tonight

State82
03-10-2023, 11:18 PM

You right.

PGHBulldogBG
03-10-2023, 11:30 PM

It would be a disaster. They would take our place. Luckily they match up terribly with Bama, but I don’t want to see them ge that far

Charlie_Sheen420
03-10-2023, 11:51 PM
Cmon Vandy. #****entucky
If we miss the tourney because Vandy replaces us?just know it?s your damn fault by speaking this into existence

msudawg1200
03-10-2023, 11:56 PM
It would be a disaster. They would take our place. Luckily they match up terribly with Bama, but I don’t want to see them ge that far

How in the hell would they take our place if we're not the last team in?

PGHBulldogBG
03-10-2023, 11:58 PM
How in the hell would they take our place if we're not the last team in?

Because they won’t take 9 SEC teams

Charlie_Sheen420
03-11-2023, 12:00 AM
We need Boise to beat Utah State as Utah is below us and need Arizona to beat Arizona State tonight. Clemson got beat down and Oregon is out which is big. We need Florida Atlantic to win tomorrow to avoid a bid stealer, Purdue needs to put Ohio State out, and Houston and Memphis both winning tomorrow would eliminate another possible bid steal. At that point doesn?t matter if Vandy wins out, we still should be in as a play in at worst.

Charlie_Sheen420
03-11-2023, 12:01 AM
Because they won’t take 9 SEC teams
Didn?t know there was a limit on teams from a conference?

PGHBulldogBG
03-11-2023, 12:32 AM
Didn?t know there was a limit on teams from a conference?

They do go off that, but if aTm wins we are probably okay. If not it’s trouble

Schultzy
03-11-2023, 12:56 AM
They do go off that, but if aTm wins we are probably okay. If not it’s trouble

Vandy has to win it all for it to concern me.

chef dixon
03-11-2023, 06:40 AM
Need FAU win, an Ohio state loss and Vandy to not win the SEC tournament and I think we should be in without play in

Quaoarsking
03-11-2023, 10:38 AM
Starting to get a little nervous, but I think it's only autobid bid stealers that could keep us out at this point

Quaoarsking
03-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Vanderbilt is the only team still playing on the board who isn't currently in:
http://bracketmatrix.com/

So as long as Vanderbilt loses today and there are no surprises in the other conferences, we should be ok, but we're probably a play-in team.

chef dixon
03-11-2023, 10:52 AM
Vanderbilt is the only team still playing on the board who isn't currently in:
http://bracketmatrix.com/

So as long as Vanderbilt loses today and there are no surprises in the other conferences, we should be ok, but we're probably a play-in team.

Hoping if Marquette and either tamu or mizzou win we've got a couple feather in cap wins for the committee to put us in the 64 field