PDA

View Full Version : Putting RN in at running back was a highschool play calling.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Worked 1 out of 4 times. If it was a great play, every college in america would be putting the biggest guy in on short yardage every time. Bottom line Freeze is still coaching like he is a highschool coach. Last years game was a fluke. They continue to say we have reached our ceiling and they are on the rise. I am calling BS. Freeze is a highschool coach. Mulen's #20 recruiting class just beat Freeze #5 recruiting class.

gravedigger
11-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Worked 2 out of 4 times. He ran for a first down and then made yardage on the next play.

The next two attempts were for losses. Funny thing though, had they faked to him and run a naked bootleg or thrown on either of those plays, they score because we sold out to hit that overgrown baby.

Ronny
11-29-2013, 02:10 PM
..Mike Ditka play calling.

It reminds me of Ditka & his Refrigerator Perry gimmick.

Transforming N'Deche into a RB is gimmick football & will eventually bite you in the ass if you keep returning to it.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Here's the thing aboug gimmicks....you're supposed to do them ONCE to catch a defense off guard. That can be effective. When you go back to it again and again....well, that's stupid.

I was buying the talk about Freeze because I was looking at results and not watching them play. Well, I've seen them play two or three times now this year...I mean, really watched them play. He's good at motivating his guys and getting the best out of them, but the playcalling is unimaginative at best. He runs the same five or six plays over and over. This became glaringingly apparent to me when they played Alabama, and they didn't make any adjustments from that. Freeze may well have turned into a pumpkin last night.

thf24
11-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Exactly. The only reason it worked the first time was that our defensive coaches and players were thinking that surely Freeze isn't stupid enough to hand it off to his 300 pound DT who isn't used to carrying the ball at the college level. It wasn't even the best call if he just wanted a bigger guy than their available running backs to pick up a few yards. A 230 pound LB or TE is going to give you more momentum than a 300 pound DT, no matter how athletic he is.

BeastMan
11-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Honestly, I think he runs RN on short yardage b/c he doesn't have a RB over 180 lbs. That said, his offense is going to encounter serious issues in big SEC games if he cannot figure out short yardage situations. They are dreadful in short yardage.

EAVdog
11-29-2013, 03:14 PM
Running KimChee was one of the few smart things he did. I used to watch Grayson HS play a bunch on GBP. KimChee ran the ball for his High School a whole lot. From the tailback spot and also a whole bunch from direct snap. He was a man among boys. And Ole Miss doesn't have a RB with any size. What was stupid is he hasn't done it before last night or in the red zone this year.

Now I'm not sure if Freeze was trying to be slick with the jersey number stuff or not. That was bush league.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Running KimChee was one of the few smart things he did. I used to watch Grayson HS play a bunch on GBP. KimChee ran the ball for his High School a whole lot. From the tailback spot and also a whole bunch from direct snap. He was a man among boys. And Ole Miss doesn't have a RB with any size. What was stupid is he hasn't done it before last night or in the red zone this year.

Now I'm not sure if Freeze was trying to be slick with the jersey number stuff or not. That was bush league.

To do it very occasionally as a north/south runner on a very short yardage situation, I'm fine with. At this level, you can't expect a guy like that to be able to run east and west and be successful. It's an almost fire-worthy decision to run that kind of play with him. Chris Jones is going to own his ass every time. And if it was CJ running the ball for us, I would be saying the same thing. This isn't high school.

Original48
11-29-2013, 04:08 PM
..Mike Ditka play calling.

It reminds me of Ditka & his Refrigerator Perry gimmick.

Transforming N'Deche into a RB is gimmick football & will eventually bite you in the ass if you keep returning to it.
The difference is Kimdeechy tried to bounce it to the outside and turn the corner. Seriously dude? That ought to tell you everything you need to know about this kids ego. If Denard Robinson can't get to the edge on an SEC defense, I don't think you and that giant face noggin are going to turn the corner either.

EAVdog
11-29-2013, 04:09 PM
To do it very occasionally as a north/south runner on a very short yardage situation, I'm fine with. At this level, you can't expect a guy like that to be able to run east and west and be successful. It's an almost fire-worthy decision to run that kind of play with him. Chris Jones is going to own his ass every time. And if it was CJ running the ball for us, I would be saying the same thing. This isn't high school.

Totally agree on the east/west running. Ole Miss is lacking a North/South power RB, which is al kimChee did in HS. But Freeze's play calling sucks ass. He has a weapon and can't use it correctly.

Todd4State
11-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Honestly, I think he runs RN on short yardage b/c he doesn't have a RB over 180 lbs. That said, his offense is going to encounter serious issues in big SEC games if he cannot figure out short yardage situations. They are dreadful in short yardage.

This is 100% correct. Them not getting Ashton Shumpert was a big loss for them.

Gen. Grant
11-29-2013, 04:33 PM
Their preacher turned coach showed how over-rated he is last night with that high school play calling. RK is the most over-rated player in the entire nation and a little bitch to boot. ALL HYPE!