PDA

View Full Version : 2023 Frisco Classic - Mississippi State vs California - story

elitedawgs
03-05-2023, 05:11 PM
With one word, you can summarize today's game between Mississippi State and California: Dohmination. Mississippi State reliever Nate Dohm pitched five innings of one hit run baseball to earn an 8-4 win in game 5 of the Frisco College Baseball Classic.

Against Ohio State and Oklahoma, Bulldog pitching struggled to get outs at critical points during the game. The Sooners hit .500 against State pitching in Saturday's game leading to State playing from behind most of the game. Starting pitcher Landon Gartman gave up four runs on three hits, including solo home runs by Kade Kretzschmar and Rodney Green Jr. Through four innings the Bears scored one run in each frame.

In the fifth inning Chris Lemonis sent Dohm into the game, ending scoring for Cal. Dohm was masterful in five innings giving up one hit, one walk with six strikeouts. The key moment in the game came in the bottom of the seventh. Third baseman Slate Alford was assigned two errors in the inning, both on sharply hit ground balls. With two outs Dohm hit Luca Bove, bringing Kade Kretzschmar to the plate with the tying run 90 feet away. Kretzschmar tied the game in the second with his shot to right field. Dohm kept his pitches down and on a 2-1 count, Kretzschmar flied out to end the inning.

For most of the weekend big hits evaded Bulldog bats. That changed today, with State scoring runs in six innings. The most important hits came in the last three innings, with a seventh inning home run to left from Amani Larry and a massive two run shot to center by Kellum Clark in the eighth, expanding a one run lead to three.

Postgame Cal coach Mike Neu and Chris Lemonis each explained how the Frisco Classic had a regional feel on the road with four good teams squaring off at a great venue and crowds. Lemonis noted that the team needs to find more consistency. This week brings an opportunity to find that consistency as the Bulldogs return home to face Valparaiso Tuesday at Dudy Noble Field at 6PM.

Activated Alpha
03-05-2023, 05:16 PM
Other than Dohm I don't feel confident in any other reliever. Also I am getting tired of seeing other 3B make exceptional plays while ours struggles. This has been a constant issue for us since Cohen it seems

662dawg
03-05-2023, 06:18 PM
Other than Dohm I don't feel confident in any other reliever. Also I am getting tired of seeing other 3B make exceptional plays while ours struggles. This has been a constant issue for us since Cohen it seems

And Alford was supposed to be really good defensively. And he isn't hitting well enough right now to hide the mistakes in the field.