PDA

View Full Version : Baseball stats through yesterday

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-04-2023, 06:37 PM
https://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2023/lgteams.htm

At the plate we are (as of yesterday, not including today): 12th in the SEC in batting average, 10th in slug %, and 7th in OBP.

On the mound we are really good at striking people out (3rd), but 10th in opponent batting avg and DEAD LAST in walks allowed at a whopping 67, 9 more than the 13th placed team. All told, our ERA is 12th, and we are dead last in runs allowed.

Defensively, we are DEAD LAST in fielding percentage, and it's not close. We're fielding .946, #13 is fielding .970. We've committed 20 errors so far, the next highest in the conference is at 11. I don't think I've ever seen such poor defense in my life, and all of that till yesterday was with home cooking scorekeeping at the Dude. I went back 8 years, the worst any SEC team has finished the season was .962... and we're at .946!!!

There's not a single aspect of this team that's performing at an acceptable level. I thought the offense had been doing OK, but they have not. The defense is historically bad so far. This is Lemones' staff, mostly his guys, and last season was a wakeup call to everyone so he can't claim he was ignorant of our issues this offseason.

If you can't clean house this season, when can you?

BeardoMSU
03-04-2023, 06:44 PM
Yikes

SaintDawg
03-04-2023, 06:48 PM
That is soberingly bad.

Todd4State
03-04-2023, 08:47 PM
Well, the ERA is better than I thought.**

Commercecomet24
03-04-2023, 09:22 PM
We're 4th in runs scored, 1st in walks and 3rd in stolen bases. Runs scored way more important than batting average. We average 9 runs per game. Offense is not our problem our problem is walks by the pitching staff and errors

Cowbell
03-04-2023, 09:25 PM
We're 4th in runs scored, 1st in walks and 3rd in stolen bases. Runs scored way more important that batting average. We average 9 runs per game. Offense is not our problem our problem is walks by the pitching staff and errors

Yep 9 runs should win any Saturday game

ZedFedder
03-04-2023, 09:28 PM
We're 4th in runs scored, 1st in walks and 3rd in stolen bases. Runs scored way more important than batting average. We average 9 runs per game. Offense is not our problem our problem is walks by the pitching staff and errors

This.

Commercecomet24
03-04-2023, 09:31 PM
Yep 9 runs should win any Saturday game

We took the lead today and the our pitching have it right back, walks. Everytime our offense got us back within striking distance today we gave it right back, not throwing strikes, that and errors been the story in every loss. If you have to score 10 runs a game to have a chance you've got problems

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-04-2023, 10:16 PM

... correct, not every offensive stat is bad and we've put up runs.

However, we don't get on base a ton, and when we hit the ball it's not that hard (slug %). If you're scoring runs, but you're not getting on base a ton (7th in SEC) and you're not hitting the ball often or hard (12th and 10th) then how are you putting up runs? Errors and luck are all that's left. the stats do not say we will sustain our runs per game. And lets not forget, we have not been playing murerer's row.

The offense is not the weakest point of the team, BUT it's also not really a strength so far either

Commercecomet24
03-04-2023, 10:31 PM
... correct, not every offensive stat is bad and we've put up runs.

However, we don't get on base a ton, and when we hit the ball it's not that hard (slug %). If you're scoring runs, but you're not getting on base a ton (7th in SEC) and you're not hitting the ball often or hard (12th and 10th) then how are you putting up runs? Errors and luck are all that's left. the stats do not say we will sustain our runs per game. And lets not forget, we have not been playing murerer's row.

The offense is not the weakest point of the team, BUT it's also not really a strength so far either

It's not errors and luck, we've had timely hits and clutch hits and were the third toughest to strikeout in the sec. Also the obp from top to bottom the difference is minor. Outside of Vandy at .360 everyone else is .440-.480 so not much difference. Our slugging could be better yes, but the games we have lost have been because of pitching and errors. We could easily have only one or two losses with the runs we've put up and no one would be talking about this.

ETA we're actually tied for first in stolen bases

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-04-2023, 11:01 PM
It's not errors and luck, we've had timely hits and clutch hits

I thought the analytics shows "clutch hitting" is not really a thing? Ie very few teams sustain above average hitting RISP and very few slumps last forever either.

were the third toughest to strikeout in the sec

Which is a double edged sword- we've hit into the most double plays in the conference, and anecdotally I've been pulling my hair out at all these 0 and 1 strike count weak contacts I keep seeing. We act like there's 2 strikes early in counts and it prevents strikeouts yes but also ups the weak contact and doesn't make the pitcher work as much. I'd rather then let the strike go by and risk the K later than have an off balance hack.

But the rest of your post I agree with. Ultimately there's not much the #1 offense in the conference could do to help a pitching staff that walks everyone and a defense that field .946. My point is that hitting hasn't been a strong suit once you peel away the randomness of timely hitting

MrCoachKlein
03-04-2023, 11:06 PM
Should we lower our expectations this year? We're shooting ourselves in the foot so much. We have the talent to be a top 15 team. I don't know baseball like football, and I know its a long season. Is this just a wait till next year, we're young type of deal?

ETA: trying to pick up baseball lingo and strategy. Used to only care about football, but I find myself watching all state sports more as I age.

Todd4State
03-04-2023, 11:13 PM
I thought the analytics shows "clutch hitting" is not really a thing? Ie very few teams sustain above average hitting RISP and very few slumps last forever either.

Which is a double edged sword- we've hit into the most double plays in the conference, and anecdotally I've been pulling my hair out at all these 0 and 1 strike count weak contacts I keep seeing. We act like there's 2 strikes early in counts and it prevents strikeouts yes but also ups the weak contact and doesn't make the pitcher work as much. I'd rather then let the strike go by and risk the K later than have an off balance hack.

But the rest of your post I agree with. Ultimately there's not much the #1 offense in the conference could do to help a pitching staff that walks everyone and a defense that field .946. My point is that hitting hasn't been a strong suit once you peel away the randomness of timely hitting

About 35%-40% of our hits are for extra bases and we lead the SEC in walks and stolen bases. In other words we're creating runs very well even though we don't have the best average in the league when we do get hits we maximize damage.

Commercecomet24
03-04-2023, 11:30 PM

Lol well I know the teams that win consistently get hits when it counts and the teams that don't, don't. So yeah I'd say it's pretty real and I know from personal experience that it does exist. We're walking a lot and stealing bases and putting ourselves in position to score when we get those hits, which we have at a very good clip. There is absolutely 100% no doubt we have plenty to improve on and while what we've seen has showed us we have some concerns we've also shown we have some reason to believe for things getting better provided we don't give teams 20+ runners a game and 2-3 errors.

I believe we are on the same page in seeing what we need to improve on and what we're doing fairly well at right now. I'm gonna let the season play out cause we're not firing anyone during the season and if we suck this year there'll be plenty of time to bmc at the conclusion.

Goldendawg
03-04-2023, 11:42 PM
Should we lower our expectations this year? We're shooting ourselves in the foot so much. We have the talent to be a top 15 team. I don't know baseball like football, and I know its a long season. Is this just a wait till next year, we're young type of deal?

ETA: trying to pick up baseball lingo and strategy. Used to only care about football, but I find myself watching all state sports more as I age.

Well, our fellow SEC coaches voted and expect us to finish last in the West again. My expectations are very low at this point also. Something is wrong but I'm not an ex-baseball coach like many on this board. Seems like learning to consistently throw strikes would be a good start and playing the type D we have been famous for again. Hail State!

dawgday166
03-04-2023, 11:47 PM
About 35%-40% of our hits are for extra bases and we lead the SEC in walks and stolen bases. In other words we're creating runs very well even though we don't have the best average in the league when we do get hits we maximize damage.

Hadn't watched so I don't know but this sounds like everyone is a swinging for the fences type of hitter and not contact/hitting to all fields type of hitter. I prefer hitters can hit it all over the field. When we get to playing better competition that will matter IMO.

Goldendawg
03-04-2023, 11:51 PM
Hadn't watched so I don't know but this sounds like everyone is a swinging for the fences type of hitter and not contact/hitting to all fields type of hitter. I prefer hitters can hit it all over the field. When we get to playing better competition that will matter IMO.

Our "hitters" were accused of this approach last season also.

Commercecomet24
03-04-2023, 11:56 PM

Well we're toughest team in the sec to strikeout so I don't believe that applies. Swing for the fence type offense generally strikeout a lot and we're not doing that and we're also first in sec in walks so we're being disciplined at the plate

dawgday166
03-04-2023, 11:59 PM
Well we're toughest team in the sec to strikeout so I don't believe that applies. Swing for the fence type offense generally strikeout a lot and we're not doing that and we're also first in sec in walks so we're being disciplined at the plate

Ok ... True dat and trust your judgement on this too. I will add I've seen a post or 2 on other teams doing the shift on us so if everyone pulling the ball that does make us a little easier to defend too IMO.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2023, 12:03 AM
Ok ... True dat and trust your judgement on this too. I will add I've seen a post or 2 on other teams doing the shift on us so if everyone pulling the ball that does make us a little easier to defend too IMO.

You're right about the shift it's cost Hines and Clark at least 3 hits a piece. Now those 2 truly are pull hitters the rest of the team seems to be willing to go with the pitch especially Chance and Forsyth. Alford will go with the pitch too and that dude has been hitting in some bad luck, he's hit balls hard all year and so many right at people.

dawgday166
03-05-2023, 12:06 AM
You're right about the shift it's cost Hines and Clark at least 3 hits a piece. Now those 2 truly are pull hitters the rest of the team seems to be willing to go with the pitch especially Chance and Forsyth. Alford will go with the pitch too and that dude has been hitting in some bad luck, he's hit balls hard all year and so many right at people.

Ok. So it seems it's mostly like you said ... pitching and D. Pitching I can understand to a small degree but I have a hard time with the D part of this equation.

The Federalist Engineer
03-05-2023, 12:06 AM

The deal with runs is that the MSU schedule has been easy, getting trucked on Friday by Arizona State and Ohio State is very worrisome for SEC play. With the current schedule, MSU should have a staff ERA close to 3 and several dudes hitting 400. Before the real competition of SEC play.

FYI - Arizona State potentially being swept this weekend. Not competitive.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2023, 12:15 AM
Ok. So it seems it's mostly like you said ... pitching and D. Pitching I can understand to a small degree but I have a hard time with the D part of this equation.

The defense was supposed to be a real strong point of this team but it just hasn't been so far. We've got work to do in a lot of areas.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2023, 12:19 AM
We're obviously not Tennessee on offense but this offense is good enough for us to win a lot of games and be competitive provided we don't walk a small village, give up 20+ base runners a game, and commit multiple errors. We've got crap to cleanup all the way around.

dawgday166
03-05-2023, 12:44 AM
We're obviously not Tennessee on offense but this offense is good enough for us to win a lot of games and be competitive provided we don't walk a small village, give up 20+ base runners a game, and commit multiple errors. We've got crap to cleanup all the way around.

Well at least our pitchers are charitable and have big hearts by helping small villages out LOL.

Went to give you some rep but gotta spread some around first.

Commercecomet24
03-05-2023, 12:50 AM
Well at least our pitchers are charitable and have big hearts by helping small villages out LOL.

Went to give you some rep but gotta spread some around first.

Very big hearts, to big, lol!

Thanks, Brother!

TNDawg35
03-05-2023, 07:35 AM
Even with the walks, we can’t make errors. That just gives them More outs and then gives another chance to walk another person until they get the big hit. I honestly don’t know what to do about the pitching. I mean of course we fire Foxhall, but I don’t know what difference that will make right now unless we bring in a really good pitching coach to help out. Hell see what Jeff Brantley is doing… No good coach is gonna leave their school in the middle of the year.

On a side note, don’t look for it to get any better today. Cal can swing it. I fully expect another drumming today. I’m also sending Lemonis a damn letter asking for my $25 back for this wknd…

Another thought I had. Why don’t we put Chance in the 2 hole and move Ledbetter to the 3 hole. Hancock in 4 spot then Alford and Hines. To me Jordan needs to be in the line up. He is only gonna get better with at bats. Let Chance play right and then put Highfill catching. He is also only gonna get better with more playing time. We all know is a lot better than Hancock right now behind the plate. To me Hines/Hancock is a wash at 1st.

But the line up ain’t the problem. Can’t complain about Gotro one bit this year. We have had our moments, but we are still young.

Maybe just put the ball on tee and let the other team hit it. Can’t be no worse than why we been doing…

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-05-2023, 02:00 PM
Commerce check out the link I posted. It was updated yesterday. we're actually tied for 6th best in the conference with 72 Ks, the best is at 61. SO wer'e mediocre at avoiding Ks.

We are the best at drawing walks, 2nd best at stolen bases. That's really it for the offensive positives...

12th in average, 11th in slug %, 9th in OBP, 7th in runs scored, 8th in doubles, 14th in tripples, 8th in HRs, 10th in total bases, 6th best at avoiding ks. So the "7th in runs scored" seems to be unsustainable given the 9th in OBP and even worse hitting. Maybe we can sustain timely hitting, but stats say our runs will drop to 10th+ with the rest of the stats. Or, optimisticaly we could say the other stats will improve to match the runs scored. Either way we're 7th i nthe conference at putting up runs, that's not a stength

PS: Pitching dropped to 13th in ERA, 14th in walks, 12th in wild pitches, 13th in hit batters, 11th in opponent batting avg. SO aside from walking everyone, hitting everyone, wild pitching them into scoring position, and giving up a ton of hits, the pitching staff is doing great. We're best in the conference at picking people off! It's truly amazing how little control we have

Ari Gold
03-05-2023, 06:16 PM
I’m just glad we won this “must win game “ according to our Coach
Yeah those must win baseball games in early March are so big ..***

More evidence building that this job is way over CL head..