PDA

View Full Version : Saban whines about new SEC scheduling

Quaoarsking
03-03-2023, 09:19 AM
https://www.si.com/college/2023/03/03/alabama-coach-nick-saban-not-fan-proposed-2024-opponents-sec-schedule

Relevant quotes:

They're giving us Tennessee, Auburn and LSU. I don?t know how they come to that [decision].?

The SEC?s exact 10-year metric is unclear. But using league records from 2013??22, the top half-finishers in winning percentage are Alabama (88.8), Georgia (79), Oklahoma (78.2), LSU (63.4), Florida (57.3), Texas (54.3), Auburn (53.6) and Texas A&M (53). The bottom half is Missouri (47.5), Mississippi State (46.3), Ole Miss (44.4), Tennessee and South Carolina (both 41.4), Kentucky (39), Arkansas (25.6) and Vanderbilt (19.7). Big 12 records were used for Oklahoma and Texas. Presumably, those in the top half of the conference over the past decade will play two other teams in the top half and one in the bottom half. Those in the bottom half will play two in the bottom and one in the top half.

Quaoarsking
03-03-2023, 09:20 AM
In other words, Alabama is getting LSU as their third, not us, and Saban is mad.

I think we are very likely to get Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Texas A&M.

We could get Auburn instead of A&M, but of we don't get Kentucky, it will be someone else in that second "lower" group.

Todd4State
03-03-2023, 10:48 AM
He just needs to get over it.

Alabama/LSU is one of the biggest rivalries in the sport the past 20 years.

BuckyIsAB****
03-03-2023, 10:57 AM
Every team should play their 3 traditional biggest games. Ours is probably more opinion based but they hit Bamas on the head.

I would like OM, LSU, UK

Quaoarsking
03-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Every team should play their 3 traditional biggest games. Ours is probably more opinion based but they hit Bamas on the head.

I would like OM, LSU, UK

We won't get LSU, since LSU is surely getting Ole Miss as their 1 lower tier opponent, not us.

Coursesuper
03-03-2023, 12:45 PM
We won't get LSU, since LSU is surely getting Ole Miss as their 1 lower tier opponent, not us.

Dollars to donuts we will get UM, UK and A&M.

CaptainObvious
03-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Dollars to donuts we will get UM, UK and A&M.

We getting Bama and lil? Nicky will make sure of it.

parabrave
03-03-2023, 12:55 PM
Please let it be Vandy. But OM will get LSU MSU and Vandy

dawgday166
03-03-2023, 01:03 PM
Pretty much what Saban does. Lobby & whine for even more advantages than what is inherit with Bama's program.

RocketDawg
03-03-2023, 01:10 PM
He just needs to get over it.

Alabama/LSU is one of the biggest rivalries in the sport the past 20 years.

Yes. He got his three major rivalries. Probably should have gotten Georgia as well, but limited to 3 permanents. Of course, everybody wants to beat Alabama so they have a target on them. And now Georgia does too.

PGHBulldogBG
03-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Saban will always have something to whine about. I hope we get OM UK and aTm that would be perfect. Most importantly I want to avoid Bama, UGA and LSU. I don’t care who we get but avoiding those 3 as a permanent opponent would be nice

RocketDawg
03-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Saban will always have something to whine about. I hope we get OM UK and aTm that would be perfect. Most importantly I want to avoid Bama, UGA and LSU. I don’t care who we get but avoiding those 3 as a permanent opponent would be nice

But Alabama would be a natural considering proximity - only 90 miles apart.

basedog
03-03-2023, 03:46 PM
Funny how Saban whines. They play Tn, LSU and Au every year. What’s the big deal.

coachnorm
03-03-2023, 04:00 PM
There has been some action with potential realignment. The PAC12 media rights thing is gaining traction in a bad way for that conference. Also, Clemson and FSU are game planning to get out of the ACC. When Clemson and FSU get into the SEC, expect the SEC to pick others to help establish the SEC super conference. I believe that Miami and North Carolina will be added teams. Maybe TCU could add value to the SEC?

I believe that the SEC is following what is going on out west. The media rights problem can not get any worse and I expect Oregon, Washington, and Cal to get absorbed into the BIG 10.

If a chain reaction out west expedites three additional high value markets into the BIG 10, I expect the SEC thru its overlord Disney/ESPN to make monetary decisions in New York and Bristol Connecticut.

If these conferences are pieced together, the networks will demand a return on investment with many high profile games. Thus, you will have the college football version of “The Hunger Games” and many more than Nick Saban will be complaining ?

SEC Super Conference

SEC East

South Carolina
Clemson
Georgia
Miami
Florida

SEC North

Tennessee
Kentucky
Vanderbilt * (Subject to Relegation)
Missouri
North Carolina

SEC South

Mississippi St
Ole Miss
FSU
Alabama
Auburn

SEC West

LSU
Arkansas
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU

BIG 10 Super Conference

BIG 10 East

Maryland
Penn St
Notre Dame
Rutgers * (Subject to Relegation)
Michigan St

BIG 10 North

Minnesota
Wisconsin
NWestern
Michigan
Ohio St

Big 10 South

Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Perdue
Indiana

Big 10 West

USC
UCLA
Oregon
Washington
California

Super Conference Scheduling Rules

Games 9-12 will be played against division opponents
Games 4-8 will be played against a rotating division every 3 yrs
Game 3 will be a rival game or second rival if in 3 yrs rotation
Game 2 will be a conference close geographical game
Game 1 will be a non-conference game SEC vs BIG 10

Play OFF Rules

Simply each 20 team conference will have division winners eliminate each other and the SEC plays the BIG 10 for championship.

Jarius
03-03-2023, 08:38 PM
His boosters buy the best 25 players he tells them to every single year and he’s whining about having to play 3 tough permanent opponents? He is the most full of shit human being coaching in that State, and that’s hard to do considering who is coaching his rival.

Todd4State
03-04-2023, 01:35 AM
Yes. He got his three major rivalries. Probably should have gotten Georgia as well, but limited to 3 permanents. Of course, everybody wants to beat Alabama so they have a target on them. And now Georgia does too.

Georgia is definitely keeping Florida and Auburn though. After that I think you could make more of a case for Georgia/Tennessee or Georgia/South Carolina than Georgia/Alabama considering the big picture of all the rivalries across the league.

I have a feeling he wouldn't be complaining as much if LSU and Georgia weren't on the upswing.

Todd4State
03-04-2023, 01:36 AM
We getting Bama and lil? Nicky will make sure of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is starting to lose his clout. His team isn't as dominant as it once was and he has more competition- meaning Alabama will lose a few sidewalk fans.

Which gives them less power as far as the SEC is concerned.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-04-2023, 08:13 AM
For the money he makes, he should shut up and compete. I’m tired of listening to a grown man whine. Somebody needs to tell entitled Little Nicky that there are plenty of grown men in this world that get up every day and put in the work it takes to succeed in their profession without constantly griping. His act is getting old.

DownwardDawg
03-04-2023, 08:32 AM
Nick has lost his swagger. People aren't "afraid" of him anymore. (I know people really weren't afraid but more like intimidated)

Apoplectic
03-04-2023, 09:23 AM
Nick has lost his swagger. People aren't "afraid" of him anymore. (I know people really weren't afraid but more like intimidated)

He?s not a great coach with equal talent / level playing field. He?s proven that many times

Maroonthirteen
03-04-2023, 09:32 AM
I get them having Ut and Auburn but throwing LSU in is for tv. However I assume the conference figure UT wasn't that tough on an opponent as Bama had owned them in most years and UT can be up and immediately back down to average.

Our permanent slate is meh. I hope we still get to play the original sec 9, somewhat regularly. I could not care less about playing usc, aTm and Missouri.

Todd4State
03-04-2023, 12:34 PM
I get them having Ut and Auburn but throwing LSU in is for tv. However I assume the conference figure UT wasn't that tough on an opponent as Bama had owned them in most years and UT can be up and immediately back down to average.

Our permanent slate is meh. I hope we still get to play the original sec 9, somewhat regularly. I could not care less about playing usc, aTm and Missouri.

That's the whole point though. We get to play the other SEC teams more under this format.

It will be Alabama, Auburn, and LSU less for us- but Georgia, Tennessee, and Florida more.

Basically if you are a traditional college student and go to MSU for four years you will get to see MSU play every SEC team in Starkville at least once over that four year period.

I love it!