PDA

View Full Version : Former Vowells Building?

Roy Munson
03-01-2023, 04:06 PM
Anybody know what is going on here? Heard the tenant that was supposed to move in backed out? Work was being done when I passed by earlier. Just curious if anyone knows the latest.

Captain Falcon
03-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Plan I?ve always heard was half of it was going to be a Corner Market and the other half Ace Hardware. Not sure if something has changed recently.

trob115
03-01-2023, 05:25 PM
New Mexican Restaurant **

Lord McBuckethead
03-01-2023, 06:48 PM
Hoped it would be a new Bowling Alley. But probably not. Just another grocery store we don?t need and a hardware store we don?t need.

Seriously. Between Kroger and Aldi and Walmart, why does our community need another market. Also, hardware store? Between East Mississippi, Bell, and Lowe?s why the heck does Roy think we need another?

East Mississippi and Bell are fantastic for what they do, and Lowe?s has its place too.

I try to spend all my money at east Mississippi and Bell Building Supply if possible. I also buy as much as possible from Kroger because their food quality is better than Walmart.

starkvegasdawg
03-01-2023, 07:01 PM
Hoped it would be a new Bowling Alley. But probably not. Just another grocery store we don?t need and a hardware store we don?t need.

Seriously. Between Kroger and Aldi and Walmart, why does our community need another market. Also, hardware store? Between East Mississippi, Bell, and Lowe?s why the heck does Roy think we need another?

East Mississippi and Bell are fantastic for what they do, and Lowe?s has its place too.

I try to spend all my money at east Mississippi and Bell Building Supply if possible. I also buy as much as possible from Kroger because their food quality is better than Walmart.

I went in Aldi's once. I shan't be back a second time.

Saltydog
03-01-2023, 07:57 PM
Dollar General****************

DawgFromOxford
03-01-2023, 08:15 PM
Heard they were finally turning it into that indoor practice facility we always wanted ***

Homedawg
03-01-2023, 09:22 PM

I miss vowels. So someone has a different opinion way closer than to Kroger or wal mart market. And Roy only cars about the check coming in....and a bowling ally would fail just like the last one. Rent is too high.

Homedawg
03-01-2023, 09:23 PM
I went in Aldi's once. I shan't be back a second time.

Yep

Homedawg
03-01-2023, 09:24 PM

I do admire supporting the locals.

Lord McBuckethead
03-01-2023, 09:37 PM
The bowling alley failed because unsavory people started using it and it?s parking lot as a hangout. Regular folks stopped going because of what they had to walk through to get in and out.

CaptainObvious
03-01-2023, 09:37 PM
Hattiesburg?s Roberts Company putting full service Corner Markets in Oxford and Starkville to capture the higher end customer like they did with the Hardy Street store in Hattiesburg and their store at Canebrake on West 98.

Homedawg
03-01-2023, 10:01 PM
The bowling alley failed because unsavory people started using it and it?s parking lot as a hangout. Regular folks stopped going because of what they had to walk through to get in and out.

And if that one became a bowling alley the same would happen. But the rent is too high anyway to support it. Crash and burn

viverlibre
03-01-2023, 10:17 PM
Skrip club?

Choctaw Dawg
03-02-2023, 05:38 PM
I miss vowels. So someone has a different opinion way closer than to Kroger or wal mart market. And Roy only cars about the check coming in....and a bowling ally would fail just like the last one. Rent is too high.

A $6.15 plate lunch (5.75 on Mondays if you were a student) was a heck of a deal when food was rising elsewhere.

Goldendawg
03-02-2023, 10:22 PM
What's going in the old Pizza Hut that they are working on, another Mexican Restaurant? There's already signage
for another one in the new shopping center.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2023, 10:31 PM
What's going in the old Pizza Hut that they are working on, another Mexican Restaurant? There's already signage
for another one in the new shopping center.

Actually it is another Mexican restaurant. Their end goal is for every family in Starkville to have their own personal Mexican restaurant.

Bothrops
03-03-2023, 09:29 PM

Just a little bit of policing would have remedied the parking lot issue.

CaptainObvious
03-03-2023, 11:57 PM

Well hell. Unsavory people hang out in the District every weekend. Lots of unsavory women hanging out in Two Brothers all the time.

State82
03-05-2023, 10:35 AM
I miss vowels.

Man, I do too. It was always my supply chain go-to on baseball weekends. Especially if I was relegated to the Day's Inn across the street.

StarkVegasSteve
03-05-2023, 11:27 AM
Man, I do too. It was always my supply chain go-to on baseball weekends. Especially if I was relegated to the Day's Inn across the street.

Some of the best baseball weekends I had in college started with a trip to Vowells for beer and ice to load up the cooler and head to the LFL to drop it off.

Lord McBuckethead
03-05-2023, 07:30 PM
I am glad it is no longer Vowels. I am not glad they shut off the entire parking lot and no longer allows you to enter the facility from the rear.

As old things leave, gives new opportunities for new traditions. If it is a strip club, we can get the best lap dances before a baseball game as you have ever had.

If it becomes a bowling alley, they really need to make it into an adult athletic club type of place like you see in Chicago. Expensive drinks. Expensive games like bowling, shuffleboard, and billiards. Charge by the hour and charge a hefty fee. College kids with their parents money will love a new location to spend their money.

Either way, it could be a place to add something to Starkville, but unfortunately it is going to be a food mart.