PDA

View Full Version : Updated Severe Weather Outlook. Slight Risk Wednesday / Significant Outbreak for Thur

starkvegasdawg
02-28-2023, 05:25 AM
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/partners/outlooks/state/images/MS_swody2.png?1677566839

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/partners/outlooks/state/images/MS_swody3_PROB.png?1677573313

SPC has upgraded NW MS to a slight risk for severe weather Wednesday for a conditional low end event and maintaining a significant severe weather event possible late Thursday afternoon into Thursday night. As I was expecting, they did retract the threat back slightly westward for Thursday as it looks like the timing of the storm has slowed slightly. By the time the storms reach the golden triangle area the system will be weakening as the best dynamics start to pull away from the region. However, parts of western and central MS are still fully under the gun and the SPC is saying an upgrade to a moderate risk is likely with the threat for damaging winds and tornadoes (some strong) in the black hatched area. I would not be surprised if most of any mod risk is in parts of AR and LA and possibly extending into the delta region. Just have to see how it plays out.

HaggardDawg
02-28-2023, 07:00 AM
So how do we follow this storm in Central MS with the Brandon radar down?

starkvegasdawg
02-28-2023, 07:11 AM
So how do we follow this storm in Central MS with the Brandon radar down?

They're expecting to have it back up and running. All of the components have been installed and they're just doing some final adjustments and functional tests. They had it up and running about 30 minutes last night.

SilentSteel16
02-28-2023, 08:01 AM
You mean the Brandon radar that the brilliant engineers stuck a water tower up in front of…. Is that the radar you speak of, the one with a damn blind spot to the NNW?

starkvegasdawg
02-28-2023, 08:37 AM
You mean the Brandon radar that the brilliant engineers stuck a water tower up in front of?. Is that the radar you speak of, the one with a damn blind spot to the NNW?

That would be the one. It it's actually to the SW. Mayor said it would have little effect and just a few months later the rotation of a tornado literally followed the exact path of that radar hole.

SilentSteel16
02-28-2023, 10:09 AM
Yeah I knew it was somewhere towards Yazoo. I think there was a civil suit or something against City of Brandon if I remember right.

TUSK
02-28-2023, 11:52 AM
Just curious, Vegas, but how do you Weather Cats define "severe" weather???

Flooding, Hail, High Winds, Naders, Hurricanes, Raining Frogs, a combination thereof?

Thanks for the effort you put into this....

starkvegasdawg
02-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Just curious, Vegas, but how do you Weather Cats define "severe" weather???

Flooding, Hail, High Winds, Naders, Hurricanes, Raining Frogs, a combination thereof?

Thanks for the effort you put into this....

We use the NWS definition of a severe thunderstorm which is any storm producing at least one of the below:
Winds of 58mph or greater
Hail 1" in diameter or larger
Tornado

DownwardDawg
02-28-2023, 06:51 PM
Bump.
This is the new thread.

starkvegasdawg
02-28-2023, 07:02 PM
Trends are becoming interesting. Storm system is slowing down which looks to put the worst over AR late Thursday afternoon. I had said earlier that it looked like east MS and west AL would miss the highest impacts. Well, maybe not. If it continues to slow down that would put it not hitting that area until Friday morning which could POSSIBLY give it time to reenergize. The low level jet is also starting to shift just slightly and no longer be perfectly parallel to the cold front. Additionally, a strong capping inversion looks to be in place ahead of the front. These factors will limit the amount of discrete supercells that form and reduce the tornado risk over MS. If I were or pick a spot in the state with the best shot at tornadoes I would say the central and northern delta.

DownwardDawg
03-01-2023, 01:15 PM
Bump

DownwardDawg
03-01-2023, 01:41 PM
Sitting at NOLA airport headed back to Nashville. How bad is the severe risk for the Nashville area??
I haven't found a good source up there like you guys. That's why I always ask here.

starkvegasdawg
03-01-2023, 02:22 PM
Sitting at NOLA airport headed back to Nashville. How bad is the severe risk for the Nashville area??
I haven't found a good source up there like you guys. That's why I always ask here.

Nashville is right at the edge of the slight risk for tonight. Overall, I doubt it gets too bad there.

North MS is starting to trend a little higher for severe weather tonight, though. Especially the NW delta. The HRRR is showing a capping inversion just above the surface over east MS and that will help suppress storms here for night, but if any storms can break the cap they could easily go severe.

DownwardDawg
03-01-2023, 02:33 PM
Nashville is right at the edge of the slight risk for tonight. Overall, I doubt it gets too bad there.

North MS is starting to trend a little higher for severe weather tonight, though. Especially the NW delta. The HRRR is showing a capping inversion just above the surface over east MS and that will help suppress storms here for night, but if any storms can break the cap they could easily go severe.
Thanks man!!

yjnkdawg
03-01-2023, 02:35 PM
You mean the Brandon radar that the brilliant engineers stuck a water tower up in front of…. Is that the radar you speak of, the one with a damn blind spot to the NNW?

Those brilliant engineers did so because politics and stupidity usually win out. The City of Brandon was informed by knowledgeable people that it was going to be an issue and affect the Jax KDGX Radar beam to the SW of the radar site.

Roy Munson
03-01-2023, 04:10 PM
Got to head to Jackson early am tomorrow from Stark and then headed back to stark probably around midafternoon. What does that look like for me?

jgunn
03-01-2023, 05:41 PM

What?s the timing look like for North Ms, Southaven area?

starkvegasdawg
03-01-2023, 06:05 PM
What?s the timing look like for North Ms, Southaven area?

Today? Right now.

Tomorrow? Probably midnight or later.

starkvegasdawg
03-01-2023, 06:06 PM
Got to head to Jackson early am tomorrow from Stark and then headed back to stark probably around midafternoon. What does that look like for me?

You should be fine. Timing for MS tomorrow looks well after dark.

Roy Munson
03-01-2023, 07:14 PM
Thanks, bud!

starkvegasdawg
03-01-2023, 08:24 PM
Likely tornado near Guntown.

RocketDawg
03-01-2023, 08:38 PM
Just got a tornado watch issued for northern Alabama. I haven't seen the county outline yet, but it goes until 2 a.m.

RocketDawg
03-01-2023, 08:42 PM
Likely tornado near Guntown.

Tornado warning NW Alabama, but it's not in Alabama yet; is an extension for a warning in NE Mississippi. . Separate from the one north of Tupelo.

RocketDawg
03-01-2023, 08:54 PM
According to local coverage (goes live when there's a warning for the coverage area), the storms in NW Miss are picking up steam before they enter Alabama.

parabrave
03-01-2023, 10:31 PM
Tornado crossing the River north of Greenville/

parabrave
03-01-2023, 10:38 PM
Hey Rocket Decauter about to get hit/

parabrave
03-01-2023, 10:50 PM
Hey Rocket better get under cover.

RocketDawg
03-01-2023, 10:58 PM
Hey Rocket Decauter about to get hit/

Hey Rocket better get under cover.

Yes, very close. And some of the most severe lightning and thunder I've ever seen/heard. I think it's going to go just a bit north of us though. I'm just south of Toyota Field.

parabrave
03-01-2023, 11:07 PM
Storm headed toward Madison Airport/

RocketDawg
03-01-2023, 11:18 PM
Looks like a tornado near Hackleburg. It shows a debris ball.

No tornado confirmed in the Huntsville/Decatur/Madison area, but there is torrential rain, wind, and lightning. Still a tornado warning running right through the metro though.

parabrave
03-01-2023, 11:28 PM
Looks like a tornado near Hackleburg. It shows a debris ball.

No tornado confirmed in the Huntsville/Decatur/Madison area, but there is torrential rain, wind, and lightning. Still a tornado warning running right through the metro though.

Glad I'm not driving south of San Antonio.

starkvegasdawg
03-02-2023, 06:44 PM
New tornado watch issued for parts of LA and AR.

https://www.on3.com/boards/attachments/6bc5486f-8094-47a7-bc04-4b175cfa99bc-jpeg.314779/

StarkVegasSteve
03-02-2023, 11:07 PM
I got real dicey in downtown Dallas around 6:30. I didn't ever see a tornado touch down but there was definite rotation and some heavy straight line winds. Somehow only lost power for a couple of minutes.

starkvegasdawg
03-03-2023, 07:17 AM
New
Add bookmark
Line of storms now in MS. Currently, none are severe but some are just below. A tornado watch will soon be issued for NE MS as they anticipate the lien starting to intensify a little later this morning. Storms or not, very strong winds are across the state with gusts over the delta approaching 60mph. Be careful driving and watch for downed trees that haven't been discovered yet.

Pancho
03-03-2023, 07:30 AM
what area? we have nothing going on currently

parabrave
03-03-2023, 07:51 AM
I got real dicey in downtown Dallas around 6:30. I didn't ever see a tornado touch down but there was definite rotation and some heavy straight line winds. Somehow only lost power for a couple of minutes.

There was a tornado warned storm basically around Oak Cliff running SE bout that time. And anywhere from 98 north to the State Line should be weather wary.

starkvegasdawg
03-03-2023, 08:07 AM
what area? we have nothing going on currently

NE MS. Guess my graphic didn't load.

StarkVegasSteve
03-03-2023, 11:45 AM
There was a tornado warned storm basically around Oak Cliff running SE bout that time. And anywhere from 98 north to the State Line should be weather wary.

I saw power flashes from transformers out that way so I would assume that meant there was probably some ground level rotation on that one. I am right next to the bridge that connects downtown to Trinity Groves so Oak Cliff is not far away from me at all.

RocketDawg
03-03-2023, 01:07 PM
Storm line just went through here. Highest wind speed was 77 mph at HSV. Nothing much at my house but there was at treetop level (I'm down in a small valley). Only had 0.28" rain.