PDA

View Full Version : Georgia was a really really really Bad Loss for our NET

CaptainObvious
02-25-2023, 02:35 PM
Nm

Lord McBuckethead
02-25-2023, 02:47 PM
Can?t do anything about it now. We just have to win our games.

RocketDawg
02-25-2023, 02:50 PM
It was, but we lost to Alabama (#1 at the time) in Tuscaloosa by 3 points, and lost to Missouri at their place by 3 In OT (and beat them pretty handily at home earlier). Surely close games like that should count for something. There were others as well, but those two just came to mind.

R2Dawg
02-25-2023, 02:51 PM
We got several not good loses - UF, UGA,

Other games we should have won - UK, one of Bama games

Same every year, just got to win now.

Lord McBuckethead
02-25-2023, 03:26 PM
Maybe SEC Network can stop talking about the Bama game and the accessory to murder kid and get to our game.

calidawg
02-25-2023, 08:05 PM
yeah but the GA game was in conference and on the road. We have no terrible losses really. Drake was on the road and they are 24-6 and lead their conference. We're in good position.

MetEdDawg
02-25-2023, 08:13 PM
We got several not good loses - UF, UGA,

Other games we should have won - UK, one of Bama games

Same every year, just got to win now.

2 is not several. One of those was on the road in conference and the other is to a team whose NET is 57.

Georgia is the worst loss. After that we don't have any bad losses. We have missed opportunities, but this team doesn't have any bad losses outside of Georgia.

parabrave
02-25-2023, 11:01 PM
Maybe SEC Network can stop talking about the Bama game and the accessory to murder kid and get to our game.

Thank you/

PGHBulldogBG
02-25-2023, 11:30 PM
Just have to finish strong. Win the next 2 and we are safely in. Incredible job by Jans and this team

Tater
02-25-2023, 11:38 PM
TCU was a really really really Good Win for our NET

Marquette was a really really really Good Win for our NET

At Arkansas was a really really really Good Win for our NET

Texas A&M was a really really really Good Win for our NET

parabrave
02-26-2023, 01:24 AM
TCU was a really really really Good Win for our NET

Marquette was a really really really Good Win for our NET

At Arkansas was a really really really Good Win for our NET

Texas A&M was a really really really Good Win for our NET

Hell I would even say Utah was a good win.

Tater
02-26-2023, 01:42 AM
Hell I would even say Utah was a good win.

I was just listing the Q1 wins. Utah is Q2

Schultzy
02-26-2023, 09:06 AM
We beat South Carolina and lose at Vandy we are in.

MetEdDawg
02-26-2023, 02:56 PM

I agree.

But we absolutely cannot afford to lose to SC. That would be a Quad 4 loss and would look really really bad. Need to win that game convincingly.

StarkVegasSteve
02-26-2023, 03:39 PM
It was, but we lost to Alabama (#1 at the time) in Tuscaloosa by 3 points, and lost to Missouri at their place by 3 In OT (and beat them pretty handily at home earlier). Surely close games like that should count for something. There were others as well, but those two just came to mind.

They don't. It counts the same if we were beaten by 50 or by 1. The loss to UGA is the reason why we are on the bubble to begin with. The Florida loss is bad, but not nearly as bad as UGA. That'll be a Q3 loss before the season is over.

StarkVegasSteve
02-26-2023, 03:41 PM

We would need at least one but probably two in the SEC tourney. You have to factor in bid stealers. There's always 4 or 5 so you don't want to be in that last 4 in group on Selection Sunday.

calidawg
02-26-2023, 03:55 PM
They don't. It counts the same if we were beaten by 50 or by 1. The loss to UGA is the reason why we are on the bubble to begin with. The Florida loss is bad, but not nearly as bad as UGA. That'll be a Q3 loss before the season is over.

That's just not true... getting in the tourney isnt based solely on data analytics and Net.. these are people who are also viewing schedules and results, including point differential, which I believe is also apart of Net algorithm anyway

StarkVegasSteve
02-26-2023, 04:16 PM
That's just not true... getting in the tourney isnt based solely on data analytics and Net.. these are people who are also viewing schedules and results, including point differential, which I believe is also apart of Net algorithm anyway

Not entirely true either. Some years the NET is almost the only thing the committee looks at and others they don't seem to consider it at all. Also point differential is not factored into the NET anymore. They stopped doing that last year. It used you to be you had to get a 10 pt win to get the max pts but now it's just a win.

Commercecomet24
02-26-2023, 05:18 PM
Not entirely true either. Some years the NET is almost the only thing the committee looks at and others they don't seem to consider it at all. Also point differential is not factored into the NET anymore. They stopped doing that last year. It used you to be you had to get a 10 pt win to get the max pts but now it's just a win.

This 100%. The way it's picked has never been consistent and you really never know who on the bubble might get in. No consistency

parabrave
02-26-2023, 05:30 PM
I still think they calculate how you finished the year, even though they say they don't. A strong finish and a good showing in the Tourney will help bubble busters.

calidawg
02-26-2023, 05:34 PM
This 100%. The way it's picked has never been consistent and you really never know who on the bubble might get in. No consistency

I don't disagree that the committee lacks consistency. But we pass the eye test for the bubble and close losses such as @mizzou and @ bama and UK matter versus if they were all 10+ point losses

Commercecomet24
02-26-2023, 06:16 PM
I don't disagree that the committee lacks consistency. But we pass the eye test for the bubble and close losses such as @mizzou and @ bama and UK matter versus if they were all 10+ point losses

Yeah I agree on that.

Quaoarsking
02-26-2023, 06:36 PM
Yep, the committee just puts in whoever they want and then makes up a justification for it. That's why it's inconsistent from year to year.

If we lose to Vanderbilt to finish 8-10, I wouldn't expect to be in, regardless of what our metrics say, but who knows? Some years, a losing conference record kills you. Some years, it doesn't.

StarkVegasSteve
02-26-2023, 07:11 PM
Yep, the committee just puts in whoever they want and then makes up a justification for it. That's why it's inconsistent from year to year.

If we lose to Vanderbilt to finish 8-10, I wouldn't expect to be in, regardless of what our metrics say, but who knows? Some years, a losing conference record kills you. Some years, it doesn't.

Yea I just don't see a way we can lose to Vandy and not have to win at least 2 in the SEC tourney.

Quaoarsking
02-26-2023, 07:18 PM
Also, the committee pretty much has the bracket chosen by Friday, if not sooner. It's rare for teams to play their way in in the conference tournaments if they don't take the autobid. For example, Mississippi State in 2010.

Even in 2009 when we beat Tennessee to take the autobid ourselves, they openly admitted they had the bracket made that morning and just crossed out the last at large and put us in their spot, which is why we got the #13 seed instead of like #11 or #12.

So we really need to beat Vanderbilt so we don't have to rely on a committee that is too lazy to take Friday/Saturday games into consideration.

msstate7
02-26-2023, 07:20 PM
Vandy is 87th in NET. That's a high Q2 game. A loss in that game wouldn't kill us

chef dixon
02-26-2023, 08:06 PM
The only way we don't get in going 1-1 in the next two is if we are getting punished for being a nobody in the CBB world. Being on the cut line with teams like UNC, penn state, Wisconsin etc is an absolute joke

StarkVegasSteve
02-26-2023, 09:05 PM
The only way we don't get in going 1-1 in the next two is if we are getting punished for being a nobody in the CBB world. Being on the cut line with teams like UNC, penn state, Wisconsin etc is an absolute joke

We're higher in the NET than all those teams and have more Q1 wins than both Penn St and Wisconsin. Those teams are not my fear. My fear is bid stealers. Conference tourneys are never chalk. Teams like Nevada, Utah St, Hofstra, Towson, and S Dakota St scare the hell out of me because the teams in those conferences (San Diego St, CofC, and Oral Roberts) are the heavy favorites to win their conferences and could get an at large bid. Then you got to worry about teams in the major conferences getting hot and making a run and stealing a bid like we did in 09. The other teams on the bubble never worry me. Bid stealers do. Let's go 2-0 and not have to worry about it.

msudawg1200
02-27-2023, 06:39 AM
NET now sits at 39. Win both this week, and we are in. Beat SC and lose to Vandy then it gets dicey. We need Okie State and West Va to both lose tonight. Okie State has Baylor at home, while WV is at Iowa State.