PDA

View Full Version : Possible Changes To NCAA Football Rules

TrapGame
02-20-2023, 12:27 PM
Saw on Twitter a post by Sports Illustrated that said the NCAA may make big changes to how the clock runs during football games.

One possible change is not stopping the clock on an incomplete pass. The clock will continue to run.

smootness
02-20-2023, 12:33 PM
Saw on Twitter a post by Sports Illustrated that said the NCAA may make big changes to how the clock runs during football games.

One possible change is not stopping the clock on an incomplete pass. The clock will continue to run.

If they want to shorten games, I'd much rather shorten the play clock than make this change.

msstate7
02-20-2023, 12:35 PM
Wow, that would totally change the game... no more clocking it at the end

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 12:37 PM

I'm guessing there would be a provision for the last 2 minutes of each half.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 12:37 PM
If they want to shorten games, I'd much rather shorten the play clock than make this change.

I agree with this.

msstate7
02-20-2023, 12:38 PM
I'm guessing there would be a provision for the last 2 minutes of each half.

I would rather them adopt nfl rules. No clock stop on 1st downs

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 12:45 PM
I would rather them adopt nfl rules. No clock stop on 1st downs

That would work too, and add 2 minute warning at the end of halves.

Coursesuper
02-20-2023, 12:51 PM
Just eliminate CBS from broadcasting football games, that will shorten a game by at least an hour.

starkvegasdawg
02-20-2023, 01:01 PM
Add something for faking injuries, too.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Just eliminate CBS from broadcasting football games, that will shorten a game by at least an hour.

Have some rep!

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 01:05 PM
Wont shortening the games reduce the amount of ad revenue for the networks? Can't see them being happy with that.

BrunswickDawg
02-20-2023, 01:22 PM
Wont shortening the games reduce the amount of ad revenue for the networks? Can't see them being happy with that.

What I don't understand is why we need commercial breaks at all. We seem to be ok broadcasting soccer matches from all over the world without going to lengthy commercial breaks. Go back to commercials on the natural breaks and have the announcers do their jobs on short breaks and say "and while the punt team is coming out, let us remind you that punts today are brought to you by Ole Miss. they can see the goal line, but they have no idea how to get there. Rebs, this punts for you. Now back to the action as the long snapper is over the ball...."

When I see that dang digital clock on a stick come out with 2:30 on it - I get pissed.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 01:27 PM
What I don't understand is why we need commercial breaks at all. We seem to be ok broadcasting soccer matches from all over the world without going to lengthy commercial breaks. Go back to commercials on the natural breaks and have the announcers do their jobs on short breaks and say "and while the punt team is coming out, let us remind you that punts today are brought to you by Ole Miss. they can see the goal line, but they have no idea how to get there. Rebs, this punts for you. Now back to the action as the long snapper is over the ball...."

When I see that dang digital clock on a stick come out with 2:30 on it - I get pissed.

I 100% agree. I remember going to games back in the day before they were all on tv and there were no tv timeouts to fool with and the games flowed smoothly. None of those horrendously long tv timeouts. Now I do like the fact you can now watch as much college football as one desires, lol.

Leroy Jenkins
02-20-2023, 01:34 PM
The "extra point>commercial>kickoff>commercial" is the worst.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-20-2023, 01:40 PM

Commercials pay very well for live sports. Non-sports shows are mostly being streamed, or replayed on a DVR. So viewers skip the commercials. Sports is about the only thing that people still watch "live", and therefore can't forward through commercials. So advertisers flock to sports.

RockyDog
02-20-2023, 02:34 PM
Adopt the NFL halftime model. That still gives time for the home band to perform as well has have someone play a stupid promotional game or 2.

SEC teams get 7-8 home games. The bands can play for their home crowd. We don?t need a visiting team band performance.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2023, 02:43 PM
Adopt the NFL halftime model. That still gives time for the home band to perform as well has have someone play a stupid promotional game or 2.

SEC teams get 7-8 home games. The bands can play for their home crowd. We don?t need a visiting team band performance.

This^^ 20 minutes for halftime is too long.

The powers that be are going to give us a worse product. I knew this was coming.

MagicDawg
02-20-2023, 03:31 PM
I will say that traveling to certain away games with the Famous Maroon Band was one of the great experiences of my college experience. I already hate that the full bands travel so infrequently anymore; cutting it completely would be a very disappointing outcome.

Halftime is not the real problem, in my biased opinion.

RockyDog
02-20-2023, 03:50 PM
I will say that traveling to certain away games with the Famous Maroon Band was one of the great experiences of my college experience. I already hate that the full bands travel so infrequently anymore; cutting it completely would be a very disappointing outcome.

Halftime is not the real problem, in my biased opinion.

As long as budget allows, taking a pep band or full band is great for fan engagement. But we?ve seen too many times where trying to get 2 full bands to perform, switch places and get all of those people off the field has run over and can cause chaos with teams coming back onto the field.

One performance, 12 minute halftime. Perfect. We don?t need 25-30 minutes of tv studio shows. That?s why games are always spilling over their allotted tv times.

TrapGame
02-20-2023, 03:54 PM
Honestly, I'd be all in on the clock running all the time with the only thing stopping it: Ref time out/Allotted team time out/Brief commercial time out. Otherwise let the clock tick away.

HoopsDawg
02-20-2023, 04:42 PM
Honestly, I'd be all in on the clock running all the time with the only thing stopping it: Ref time out/Allotted team time out/Brief commercial time out. Otherwise let the clock tick away.

Why do you hate College Football?

RocketDawg
02-20-2023, 04:44 PM

Why does the game time need shortening? There's big hurry.

What needs shortening is the length of advertising to reduce the downtime.

RocketDawg
02-20-2023, 04:51 PM

Clocking hasn't been within the rules all that long. It was intentional grounding.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 04:53 PM

Amen to this!

chef dixon
02-20-2023, 05:16 PM
Say good bye to comebacks

CaptainObvious
02-20-2023, 11:00 PM
Cut all Timeouts to 90 seconds, charge the advertisers double for the time slot. Add a 4th timeout for each team, also maxed at 90 seconds.

Cowbell
02-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Or the ncaa should just leave things alone. Cutting 20 min off a game that most people wait all week to watch is ridiculous.

smootness
02-21-2023, 03:29 PM

I'm not saying it does or that you're wrong. But that's obviously what this is intended to do, and I'm just saying that would be preferable.

coachnorm
02-21-2023, 05:21 PM
The infamous THEY will probe the fans and viewers to determine how much pain they will absorb. Pain in the form of breaks in action to impose more commercials on fans and viewers. If the sheep continue to suffer the commercials, THEY will pile on more commercials just that simple.

Does speeding up the game mean speeding up the action to make room for inaction in the form of commercials? Will the games still last four hours with fewer plays to watch?

Fans and viewers need to determine if they want quality or quantity football. I believe that fans and viewers need to cut down on football viewership and just focus on their own teams as a show of resistance to the infamous THEY. Never believe that the fans and networks have the same visions. Never believe that the fans and the NCAA have the same visions either.