PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Needs a Major Wake Up Call

Todd4State
02-19-2023, 03:04 PM
You can call it drastic- but we've done this before with Cann and it turned out for the best.

Foxhall should be fired Monday as I said before.

On top of that Lemonis needs to be put on notice that if this shit doesn't get fixed his ass is in the pot. Because it's not all on the pitching. Although that's most of it IMO. Defense and baserunning have to improve.

We have people like Ron Polk and Jay Powell available who would help us in an emergency situation if needed.

Time to try Mershon at SS. Sit Clark and let Chance play RF. Put Hancock at DH and let Highfill catch the rest of the year along with Hubbard.

This isn't our standard and when that happens people have to pay the price.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2023, 03:08 PM
What would Ron help with?

MaroonFlounder
02-19-2023, 03:24 PM
You can call it drastic- but we've done this before with Cann and it turned out for the best.

On top of that Lemonis needs to be put on notice that if this shit doesn't get fixed his ass is in the pot. Because it's not all on the pitching. Although that's most of it IMO. Defense and baserunning have to improve.

We have people like Ron Polk and Jay Powell available who would help us in an emergency situation if needed.

Time to try Mershon at SS. Sit Clark and let Chance play RF. Put Hancock at DH and let Highfill catch the rest of the year along with Hubbard.

Sit Clark?

He just launched one a mile.

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2023, 03:32 PM

Clark just hit it to Lowndes Co. so I think we might need to leave him in. Also as I said last night when you posted this same message we are not firing Foxhall mid season. Especially after 3 games without a REALISTIC replacement. If you think Foxhall is bad then you would be in for an unpleasant surprise with Jay Powell. Why in the hell would we hire a guy who has not been around the staff ALL fall or spring?

The best, and only option, if you truly are going to move on is strip him of pitch calling duties and let Cheese and the catchers call the games. You mutually part ways at the end of the year.

MetEdDawg
02-19-2023, 03:36 PM
Series one meltdown is classic MSU.

Pitching yesterday sucked no question. Bats have been fine. Defense has sucked.

It's series one. Unless all of you are prepare to tell me Tennessee sucks because they started 0-2 and they need to fire Vitello and his staff week 1, calm down and let's get a few more games under our belt.

We haven't even seen Loftin or Jurrangelo which could significantly impact the viability of our staff.

Turfdawg67
02-19-2023, 04:02 PM
Series one meltdown is classic MSU.

Pitching yesterday sucked no question. Bats have been fine. Defense has sucked.

It's series one. Unless all of you are prepare to tell me Tennessee sucks because they started 0-2 and they need to fire Vitello and his staff week 1, calm down and let's get a few more games under our belt.

We haven't even seen Loftin or Jurrangelo which could significantly impact the viability of our staff.

MSU should never lose to VMI... period. That shit show yesterday is a continuation of last years abominable season and some seats should be incredibly warm, including Lemonis.

MaroonFlounder
02-19-2023, 04:04 PM
Todd’s having a bad day with that Clark take.

I agreed with you, in part, that it looked like Kellum was not getting good swings. But his last 2 at bats yesterday looked better. 2 HRs now today.

State82
02-19-2023, 04:05 PM

Based on what I heard Friday? Possibly Robitussin.

MetEdDawg
02-19-2023, 04:07 PM
MSU should never lose to VMI... period. That shit show yesterday is a continuation of last years abominable season and some seats should be incredibly warm, including Lemonis.

I don't disagree that it shouldn't happen. But it did.

But what else can be true is that 1 game out of the first 2 of a season does not make anyones point about anything related to this team. It's one game.

So far today it's much better. Gartman looked good and Cijntje has as well in his inning. And we still haven't seen Loftin yet.

Im not going to freak out yet. It took 12 walks, 3 errors, an HBP, and 11 stolen bases for a team to beat us by 1 run in a game we scored 13 in. There's plenty of time to freak out later. Now isn't it.

As with most everything in early season baseball, it's one game. In 2-3 weeks we are consistently saying the same thing, I'll be concerned. But not yet.

The Federalist Engineer
02-19-2023, 04:07 PM
Cant MSU just hire a MLB-Minor League (AA/AAA) type pitching coach? Arkansas took Wes Johnson from the Twins in-season, seems it can be done.

schddog72
02-19-2023, 05:16 PM

Bigger concern is losing a 9-run lead; doesn't matter who the other team is, losing that kind of lead when we had so many innings to pad the lead and didn't is what should never happen.

MetEdDawg
02-19-2023, 05:24 PM
I think yesterday sucked.

But today we saw 4 of the 5 best pitchers on the team throw the ball. Should change the attitude of some.

If I'm Lemonis, I go ahead and move Gartman to Saturday next weekend. Hunt will likely get one or two more starts and if goes poorly Loftin will become the Sunday guy. Cijntje will probably pitch twice a weekend.

And you saw what the staff thinks of Hardin coming in for the 8th only up 1.

With Cade, Gartman, and Loftin on Sunday, you've got Cijntje, Hardin, Dohm, and Nixon that looked good this weekend. Add Hunt to that group if we move him to the bullpen and you can work with that.

And the nice thing is we can put up runs top to bottom with this lineup.

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 05:26 PM

Ok kb. Stop harping on it. Fox isn't getting fired during the season. So just quit

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 05:28 PM

You clearly haven't seen some of these guys play. Chance has the worst of arm of anyone on the team. He can hit. He can play d ok. But no arm. None. He's not playing rt. Hubbard can hit. But not a defensive catcher.

SmokeyDawg
02-19-2023, 05:33 PM
Ok kb. Stop harping on it. Fox isn't getting fired during the season. So just quit

Good thing Fox doesn't run the ball more***

RockyDog
02-19-2023, 05:38 PM
Mr Todd may need some supervision. He has gone off the deep end. First joining KB?s pity parade regarding football and now this. When Mr we are going to Omaha every year is this bummed, there is definitely something in the air.

basedog
02-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Way too early to melt! You can’t judge one or two games much less the first weekend. Let’s see how it goes for a few weeks. Biggest concern is finding the pitching rotation.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2023, 05:56 PM
Way too early to melt! You can’t judge one or two games much less the first weekend. Let’s see how it goes for a few weeks. Biggest concern is finding the pitching rotation.

Absolutely 100%! Also Cade and Gartman will be fine in the rotation now gotta find a solid third guy and we've got some options.

WSOPdawg
02-19-2023, 05:57 PM
Bigger concern is losing a 9-run lead; doesn't matter who the other team is, losing that kind of lead when we had so many innings to pad the lead and didn't is what should never happen.

And the guys that need to look in the mirror are KC Hunt & Parker Stinnett... they were the ones that were supposed to control yesterday's sh!tshow and they didn't... they FAILED plain and simple. Now the coaches hopefully know that they can't be trusted but that today's guys can. Hopefully Lemonis can get a few more pieces of the pitching puzzle in place before next weekend.

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 06:03 PM

That's just the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Meaning Polk help. Not your post. Just comical

HoopsDawg
02-19-2023, 06:06 PM
That's just the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Meaning Polk help. Not your post. Just comical

Hit fungos to Hines at first? Lol.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2023, 06:09 PM

Nice!

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 06:21 PM
Yes. Guess that's it...

CaptainObvious
02-19-2023, 06:22 PM
I don?t know how we figure it out, but we cannot have Hines sitting and Forsythe batting. We just can?t. Maybe we let the pitchers hit for themselves and DH for Forsythe.

basedog
02-19-2023, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=Commercecomet24;1500924]Absolutely 100%! Also Cade and Gartman will be fine in the rotation now gotta find a solid third guy and we've got some options.[/QUOTE

They both will throw strikes in the long haul and both will compete and battle. I think we have some young guys who will be given a chance.
We weren?t solid on defense especially first two games, that?s gotta get better.

We gonna hit, tighten up walks and defense.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2023, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=Commercecomet24;1500924]Absolutely 100%! Also Cade and Gartman will be fine in the rotation now gotta find a solid third guy and we've got some options.[/QUOTE

They both will throw strikes in the long haul and both will compete and battle. I think we have some young guys who will be given a chance.
We weren?t solid on defense especially first two games, that?s gotta get better.

We gonna hit, tighten up walks and defense.

Yep right on. I was really disappointed in the defense especially Alford and Forsyth. They're both better than that and i expect them to be better, Hines needs a little work too. I think the defense will be fine. Pitchers today threw strikes and that was good to see. I like Cade and Gartman both because they attack hitters. The pen guys especially Dohm, Hardin, Forsythe, Nixon, Loo and Loftin all looked pretty good this weekend. Davis is was ok but nibbled too much and Ynetma got hurt by bunts and bloops, so most of the pen guys were good. Gotta solidify that third rotation guy.

basedog
02-19-2023, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=basedog;1500934]

Yep right on. I was really disappointed in the defense especially Alford and Forsyth. They're both better than that and i expect them to be better, Hines needs a little work too. I think the defense will be fine. Pitchers today threw strikes and that was good to see. I like Cade and Gartman both because they attack hitters. The pen guys especially Dohm, Hardin, Forsythe, Nixon, Loo and Loftin all looked pretty good this weekend. Davis is was ok but nibbled too much and Ynetma got hurt by bunts and bloops, so most of the pen guys were good. Gotta solidify that third rotation guy.

I agree. Gonna take a few games to figure things out on roles.

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 06:58 PM
I don?t know how we figure it out, but we cannot have Hines sitting and Forsythe batting. We just can?t. Maybe we let the pitchers hit for themselves and DH for Forsythe.

You can't dh for someone besides the pitcher. And Hines isn't going to sit. He just can't. Mershon is hurt and he's the only other ss.

Captain Falcon
02-19-2023, 06:58 PM
I think last season broke Todd. Used to think he was one or our more knowledgeable baseball posters but he’s gone off the deep end.

Yesterday was a train wreck but let it play out before we jump to any major conclusions. Could be an omen that we suck again or it could be a bad early season loss for a team that is eventually good, which has happened plenty of times in our history. We don’t know the answer yet but we will find out in the coming weeks and months.

Pancho
02-19-2023, 07:06 PM
that depends on whether fox goes back to nibbling with 2 strikes.

Todd4State
02-19-2023, 11:03 PM
You clearly haven't seen some of these guys play. Chance has the worst of arm of anyone on the team. He can hit. He can play d ok. But no arm. None. He's not playing rt. Hubbard can hit. But not a defensive catcher.

Well you can't sit a 20 home run guy at this level either. Or the team "captain". We both know that's not going to happen. But since Hancock can't throw we have to play Highfill now. So now that leaves Chance and Kellum one of the two have to sit. I chose the guy that at the time got picked off at first which was another unacceptable mistake by this team. So yeah- Chance can't throw but he sure as hell can't catch but he's playing pretty well so I'd hate to sit him. Good job by Kellum of redeeming himself. Credit where credit is due.

And the guys that need to look in the mirror are KC Hunt & Parker Stinnett... they were the ones that were supposed to control yesterday's sh!tshow and they didn't... they FAILED plain and simple. Now the coaches hopefully know that they can't be trusted but that today's guys can. Hopefully Lemonis can get a few more pieces of the pitching puzzle in place before next weekend.

Yep. And Stinnett failed again. Why we brought him back is beyond me. Hunt should get a chance out of the bullpen but with a short leash. I just don't think he is a starter. Problem is Walksall keeps giving them upteen opportunities to fail and they do every single time.

You're right about the can't sit Hines part.

I think last season broke Todd. Used to think he was one or our more knowledgeable baseball posters but he’s gone off the deep end.

Yesterday was a train wreck but let it play out before we jump to any major conclusions. Could be an omen that we suck again or it could be a bad early season loss for a team that is eventually good, which has happened plenty of times in our history. We don’t know the answer yet but we will find out in the coming weeks and months.

After last season the leash is short. This weekend we look like the worst team in the league. We have no ace. And our best chance there might be to go with freshmen. And they aren't ready yet. If Pico looks good on Tuesday that still doesn't solve the problem either. That means we're losing most Friday nights this year. Our most talented players are freshmen. This team isn't good.

Say what you will about me as a poster- we have standards at MSU. And this weekend was mostly not up to that standard. Even Lemonis would probably agree with me on that. Kissing these players and coaches asses and just hoping "that's baseball" fixes the poor pitching decisions and bad defense isn't going to solve it.

Todd4State
02-19-2023, 11:06 PM
Clark just hit it to Lowndes Co. so I think we might need to leave him in. Also as I said last night when you posted this same message we are not firing Foxhall mid season. Especially after 3 games without a REALISTIC replacement. If you think Foxhall is bad then you would be in for an unpleasant surprise with Jay Powell. Why in the hell would we hire a guy who has not been around the staff ALL fall or spring?

The best, and only option, if you truly are going to move on is strip him of pitch calling duties and let Cheese and the catchers call the games. You mutually part ways at the end of the year.

We just need a stopgap in the event we fire someone. Powell wouldn't be my permanent guy- just the interim. He has MLB experience and has coached high school for a few years. He could certainly handle a few months as pitching coach until we can get a permanent solution in the offseason.

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2023, 11:23 PM
We just need a stopgap in the event we fire someone. Powell wouldn't be my permanent guy- just the interim. He has MLB experience and has coached high school for a few years. He could certainly handle a few months as pitching coach until we can get a permanent solution in the offseason.

No he couldn't. He's never even coached at the JUCO level, much less an actual college. I mean it doesn't matter because we're not doing it. But damn, at least come up with a realistic option. I mean Russ McNickle would be an actual option for something like that. You know since he's actually coached in college. He's not a volunteer asst or HC at a private school. And he's actually a pitching coach.

Todd4State
02-19-2023, 11:36 PM
No he couldn't. He's never even coached at the JUCO level, much less an actual college. I mean it doesn't matter because we're not doing it. But damn, at least come up with a realistic option. I mean Russ McNickle would be an actual option for something like that. You know since he's actually coached in college. He's not a volunteer asst or HC at a private school. And he's actually a pitching coach.

Auburn hired Tim Hudson and Gabe Gross full time without experience- and they're doing fine.

SpaceBully
02-20-2023, 12:29 AM
Way too early to melt! You can?t judge one or two games much less the first weekend. Let?s see how it goes for a few weeks. Biggest concern is finding the pitching rotation.

Yup....should know a lot more after this week. We got 2 much better teams coming in to the Dude. ULM took 2/3 from Bradley and AZState swept SDSU albeit all close games.

CJDAWG85
02-20-2023, 01:17 AM
Auburn hired Tim Hudson and Gabe Gross full time without experience- and they're doing fine.

Hudson isnt there anymore. He stepped down.

StarkVegasSteve
02-20-2023, 09:19 AM

Gross was a volunteer asst and helped with outfielders for 6 years before he was hired on as a full time coach. So he was around the program for 6 years before he became a full fledged asst.

Now Hudson you are correct. They hired him with no experience. Although if you think Hudson has any say over that pitching staff with Butch as the HC then I have ocean front property in Isaquena Co. for sale

smootness
02-20-2023, 12:25 PM

Dude, they brought on Tim Hudson as 'pitching coach' for a team coached by Butch Thompson.

There is less than a 0% chance, unless he were to have a serious moral failure, that we are firing Scott Foxhall mid-year so that we can bring someone on with no experience coaching anything.

smootness
02-20-2023, 12:26 PM
Gross was a volunteer asst and helped with outfielders for 6 years before he was hired on as a full time coach. So he was around the program for 6 years before he became a full fledged asst.

Now Hudson you are correct. They hired him with no experience. Although if you think Hudson has any say over that pitching staff with Butch as the HC then I have ocean front property in Isaquena Co. for sale

BTW, even Hudson was a volunteer assistant. He was 'pitching coach' but he was a volunteer.

HancockCountyDog
02-20-2023, 01:05 PM
I know this is a hot take, but maybe we don't make decisions based on one series in February. Just a thought.

Now if we struggle to make the SEC tourney and are a 2/3 seed and don't make a super regional, lets talk.

February 20th, not for me.

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 01:06 PM
I know this is a hot take, but maybe we don't make decisions based on one series in February. Just a thought.

Now if we struggle to make the SEC tourney and are a 2/3 seed and don't make a super regional, lets talk.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HancockCountyDog again.

EdwardDrayton
02-21-2023, 12:23 AM

Oh my, logic and reason; I mean my gosh man it's a message board.