PDA

View Full Version : Lineup for Tomorrow

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 09:50 PM
So I think our lineup could go 1 of 2 ways tomorrow. I don't think running the same lineup out there is even remotely an option. It's either that Hancock is included at DH or 1B or he's out of completely.

I'd personally give him the day off and have it like this:

1. Larry 2B
2. Ledbetter-CF
3. Alford-3B
4. Hines- 1B
5. Clark-RF
6. Chance-LF
7. Downs-DH
8. Highfill-C
9. Mershon-SS

I think if you include Hancock you just slide him in for Downs and you either DH him or let him play 1B and DH Hines. Also we desperately need to find a way to get Hujsak some ABs tomorrow. Maybe even get Siebert and Hoyle ABs as well.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 10:10 PM
Highfill is questionable due to injury. Might can might can't.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 10:11 PM
Mershon hurt as well. Fact is our lineup ain't our problem. We've had 30+ hits in two days and you want to fix THAT??? And Dakota ain't going to the bench. If he does it's beyond stupid.

TaleofTwoDogs
02-18-2023, 10:12 PM
Can we get a couple of the gals from the softball team to come over to Dudy Noble??? **

HoopsDawg
02-18-2023, 10:20 PM
Mershon hurt as well. Fact is our lineup ain't our problem. We've had 30+ hits in two days and you want to fix THAT??? And Dakota ain't going to the bench. If he does it's beyond stupid.

This^^

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 10:28 PM

We've also had 6 errors in 2 days and a catcher who has allowed 13 SBs in two days. I'd say that warrants discussion of a change.

Also, Dakota is 2-9 for the weekend. No RBIs and 2 K's. Does have 3 BBs which shows a bit of patience. We can give someone else a look out there without giving up on him. I'm not saying start benching him I just think we need to give guys like Hujsak and Chance opportunities in the field and since Lemonis is not going to take out Ledbetter or Clark so Jordan is the only one left.

archdog
02-18-2023, 10:35 PM
Dakota is a player, I like him being in the game so in two months he is taking in runs. Got to lay the long game with him. I would get someone in for Lane, personally.

Rawdawg
02-18-2023, 10:37 PM
So I think our lineup could go 1 of 2 ways tomorrow. I don't think running the same lineup out there is even remotely an option. It's either that Hancock is included at DH or 1B or he's out of completely.

I'd personally give him the day off and have it like this:

1. Larry 2B
2. Ledbetter-CF
3. Alford-3B
4. Hines- 1B
5. Clark-RF
6. Chance-LF
7. Downs-DH
8. Highfill-C
9. Mershon-SS

I think if you include Hancock you just slide him in for Downs and you either DH him or let him play 1B and DH Hines. Also we desperately need to find a way to get Hujsak some ABs tomorrow. Maybe even get Siebert and Hoyle ABs as well.

Id like to see Clark replaced instead of Jordan

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 10:38 PM

As would I, but it ain't happening. He shows FAR TOO MUCH patience with Clark. Hell he let him start like 0-16 last year and he started every game but 1 in the first 7. I have been all over the fact that we should've moved on from both Clark and Hancock last summer and basically clean slated the program.

TALL DAWG
02-18-2023, 10:41 PM
And, he just missed going yard today.
I?d give him at least 12 games to get broken in.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 10:44 PM
We've also had 6 errors in 2 days and a catcher who has allowed 13 SBs in two days. I'd say that warrants discussion of a change.

Also, Dakota is 2-9 for the weekend. No RBIs and 2 K's. Does have 3 BBs which shows a bit of patience. We can give someone else a look out there without giving up on him. I'm not saying start benching him I just think we need to give guys like Hujsak and Chance opportunities in the field and since Lemonis is not going to take out Ledbetter or Clark so Jordan is the only one left.

I'm not worried about foresythe or Alford defensively. Yes they have two errors. I get it. But I've seen them play. And that goes for Dakota too. It's two games. If he were 0-10 I'd start him tomorrow. He's that good. Again the lineup ain't our problem. Do I think we do something different? Maybe if some are available. But change our lineup bc we lost and have 24 runs in two games is just being reactive to no problems. At least offensively. I understand defense comes with it. 4 of our errors come from 2 of our best defenders. Now Hines I need to see more of. Not sold on him at first. But it's early.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 10:44 PM
And, he just missed going yard today.
I?d give him at least 12 games to get broken in.

Yea we don't need to give him that long if he's struggling. No one not named Jake Mangum or Brent Rooker would ever get that kind of rope. And also, we need to get guys like Hujsak, Downs, Hoyle, Mershon, etc on the field because we sure as hell don't want to end up with another Landon Jordan situation. It's ok to not start him, heck you could still bring him to PH

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 10:45 PM

IF we were gonna take one out yes. But he's been fine.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 10:45 PM
I'm not worried about foresythe or Alford defensively. Yes they have two errors. I get it. But I've seen them play. And that goes for Dakota too. It's two games. If he were 0-10 I'd start him tomorrow. He's that good. Again the lineup ain't our problem. Do I think we do something different? Maybe if some are available. But change our kj who bc we lost and have 24 runs in two games is just being reactive to no problems. At least offensively. I understand defense comes with it. 4 of our errors come from 2 of our best defenders. Now Hines I need to see more of. Not sold on him at first. But it's early.

Don't disagree with you on Hines. Not sold on him at 1B yet.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 10:46 PM
Yea we don't need to give him that long if he's struggling. No one not named Jake Mangum or Brent Rooker would ever get that kind of rope. And also, we need to get guys like Hujsak, Downs, Hoyle, Mershon, etc on the field because we sure as hell don't want to end up with another Landon Jordan situation. It's ok to not start him, heck you could still bring him to PH

Hoyle??? A career 200 hitter? You want him starting?? I'm sorry we lost but your panic is misguided on. That piece of it. Highfill and mershon are hurt.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 10:48 PM
Hoyle??? A career 200 hitter? You want him starting?? I'm sorry we lost but your panic is misguided on. That piece of it. Highfill and mershon are hurt.

No not start Hoyle. Just get him an AB here and there and some PR opportunities. Definitely not start him. Misworded his part in it.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 10:59 PM
As would I, but it ain't happening. He shows FAR TOO MUCH patience with Clark. Hell he let him start like 0-16 last year and he started every game but 1 in the first 7. I have been all over the fact that we should've moved on from both Clark and Hancock last summer and basically clean slated the program.

And he did end up hitting 14 hr. So maybe patience wasn't so bad. But I agree he has some holes.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 11:00 PM
No not start Hoyle. Just get him an AB here and there and some PR opportunities. Definitely not start him. Misworded his part in it.

Gotcha.

maroonmania
02-18-2023, 11:03 PM

I'm fine with Jordan learning and adjusting to college pitching while playing but based on what I've seen so far I don't believe that should be in the 3 hole until we see some improvement. If VMI pitching can hold him in check this well that doesn't bode well for how he will fare against SEC pitching.

HoopsDawg
02-18-2023, 11:07 PM

Why? We didn't bat Downs or Hujsac today but you want Hoyle to get ABs. Geez.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2023, 11:12 PM
I know Luke's taking a lot of heat for the stolen bases but this ain't all on him. Our pitchers are extremely slow to the plate(all over 1.5 to the plate), and all over the place with pitches. They had our pitchers timed. Realmuto wasn't throwing anyone out with our pitchers today! They didn't give him much of a chance to throw anyone out. Also on 2 sbs at third Alford missed the tag on one(called out but was reversed on review) and on another one he didn't get back to the bag in time because the throw beat the runner. Yeah Luke could do better but he hasn't had any help at all.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:17 PM
Why? We didn't bat Downs or Hujsac today but you want Hoyle to get ABs. Geez.

I'm saying we need to get our bench guys ABs. I'm guessing you didn't read the original post that mentioned both of those guys specifically.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:18 PM
I know Luke's taking a lot of heat for the stolen bases but this ain't all on him. Our pitchers are extremely slow to the plate(all over 1.5 to the plate), and all over the place with pitches. They had our pitchers timed. Realmuto wasn't throwing anyone out with our pitchers today! They didn't give him much of a chance to throw anyone out. Also on 2 sbs at third Alford missed the tag on one(called out but was reversed on review) and on another one he didn't get back to the bag in time because the throw beat the runner. Yeah Luke could do better but he hasn't had any help at all.

So Commerce you know more about this than I do, is that something that our pitchers can remedy or are all our pitchers just slow to the plate and that's what they'll be for the season and we're going to get ran on at will.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2023, 11:22 PM
So Commerce you know more about this than I do, is that something that our pitchers can remedy or are all our pitchers just slow to the plate and that's what they'll be for the season and we're going to get ran on at will.

You've got to vary your deliveries. Slide step every now and then, hold the ball longer freeze the runner, go quick to the plate,etc, don't just go with same delivery over and over. You could tell they had us timed. We weren't doing anything to slow them down. Heck our guys were not doing anything to mess with the runners timing and on top of that they were all over the place with their command and all those things kill a catcher throwing out runners.

ETA if you go back and watch the replay when they were stealing third they were just taking as soon as our pitcher looked away from them to the plate.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:24 PM
You've got to vary your deliveries. Slide step every now and then, hold the ball longer freeze the runner, go quick to the plate,etc, don't just go with same delivery over and over. You could tell they had us timed. We weren't doing anything to slow them down. Heck our guys were not doing anything to mess with the runners timing and on top of that they were all over the place with their command and all those things kill a catcher throwing out runners.

Now the next question, can any of our pitchers do that without becoming head cases and hitting Ronnie in the Triple Crown Club more times than they can throw it in the zone.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2023, 11:33 PM
Now the next question, can any of our pitchers do that without becoming head cases and hitting Ronnie in the Triple Crown Club more times than they can throw it in the zone.

Lol now that's a good question. I think that was a big part of the problem today. They were so focused on trying to throw strikes after all the walks they just lost all track of baserunners. It looks like everyone but Dohm had the yips today cause they were missing big.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:38 PM
Lol now that's a good question. I think that was a big part of the problem today. They were so focused on trying to throw strikes after all the walks they just lost all track of baserunners. It looks like everyone but Dohm had the yips today cause they were missing big.

Well and I'm sure it's tough to pitch when you're so worried about walks because you know a walk is basically a double or even a triple but at the same time you can't pitch meatballs up there either.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Well and I'm sure it's tough to pitch when you're so worried about walks because you know a walk is basically a double or even a triple but at the same time you can't pitch meatballs up there either.

If you're over 1.5 to the plate the catcher ain't throwing nobody out.

There's a reason first and third base coaches are carrying those stop watches

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:41 PM
If you're over 1.5 to the plate the catcher ain't throwing nobody out.

So is it just a team with slow deliveries or is it a team that can't hold any runners? Or both? I mean some of these same guys were pitching last year and teams weren't running at will on us then. Granted we had a better catcher too.

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 11:44 PM
I'm fine with Jordan learning and adjusting to college pitching while playing but based on what I've seen so far I don't believe that should be in the 3 hole until we see some improvement. If VMI pitching can hold him in check this well that doesn't bode well for how he will fare against SEC pitching.

He was our best hitter in the fall and spring. It wasn't by accident. He's a rookie. He was nervous as hell and he's not pull happy. Relax. He's gonna be fine. It might take him a minute to chill. Heck, last year was Yeager and he was a grad transfer. Year before was Scotty. Dakota is WAY more talented than them put together. It's two games!!!

Homedawg
02-18-2023, 11:45 PM

Blaming the catcher on you throwing more balls than strikes is well.... weak. Do your job and then we can worry about the damn catcher.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:51 PM
Blaming the catcher on you throwing more balls than strikes is well.... weak. Do your job and then we can worry about the damn catcher.

Well that's easier said than done. If you're slow to the plate and the catcher isn't elite then you're terrified of every ball. And if it was as easy as throw more strikes than balls then they're be a lot more pitchers in baseball to choose from. Locating a 93 mph fastball in tight windows is a pretty difficult task, especially when you're surrounded by 12 thousand people.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2023, 11:52 PM
So is it just a team with slow deliveries or is it a team that can't hold any runners? Or both? I mean some of these same guys were pitching last year and teams weren't running at will on us then. Granted we had a better catcher too.

Today we did a crappy job holding runners on. It can be corrected and I'm sure Lemonis will focus on it. Most stolen bases are stolen on the pitcher not the catcher. Luke's pop is not bad at all, actually average for a college catcher but he has to have some help from the pitchers. They've all got work to do pitchers and luke.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:54 PM
Today we did a crappy job holding runners on. It can be corrected and I'm sure Lemonis will focus on it. Most stolen bases are stolen on the pitcher not the catcher. Luke's pop is not bad at all, actually average for a college catcher but he has to have some help from the pitchers. They've all got work today pitchers and luke.

Good to hear that it's not as bad or as unfixable as some might believe. Do you have any observations or thoughts on our other catchers?

CaptainObvious
02-18-2023, 11:54 PM
You don?t make your 5th year senior catchet the one and only team captain and then bench him so the pitching coach and pitchers are going to have to figure out how to hold runners.

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2023, 11:56 PM
You don?t make your 5th year senior catchet the one and only team captain and then bench him so the pitching coach and pitchers are going to have to figure out how to hold runners.

Which is why I was against naming him captain, or at least the only captain. It would be beyond a bad look to just straight bench him so we'll either have to live with it behind the plate or move him to DH or 1B

Commercecomet24
02-19-2023, 12:02 AM
Good to hear that it's not as bad or as unfixable as some might believe. Do you have any observations or thoughts on our other catchers?

Yes these are things that can be improved on and of course if we don't walk a small village we don't have to worry about so many stolen bases lol. Luke will never be Logan Tanner but his pop time is good enough if we give him a chance. Highfill is gonna be good one he just needs some time.

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2023, 12:12 AM
Yes these are things that can be improved on and of course if we don't walk a small village we don't have to worry about so many stolen bases lol. Luke will never be Logan Tanner but his pop time is good enough if we give him a chance. Highfill is gonna be good one he just needs some time.

That's kind of what I was told. I was told a few weeks ago that we were worried about Hancock throwing down to 2nd. Said he wasn't very accurate and didn't have much zip on it. But that he managed the staff and was ahead hitting wise on Highfill. Said Highfill is probably the most athletic catcher we've ever had, but that there's still mental things he needs to learn about catching at this level.

TNDawg35
02-19-2023, 12:13 AM

Dakota is a true freshman who has HUGE potential. He is pressing a little too hard which anyone starting their first 2 college games would do. You let him work out the kinks right now against subpar pitching. You don?t bench him after 2 games, especially to downgrade with the replacement. Give the kid a chance. He just needs to relax.

You don?t change the line up unless Highfill can go. If he is healthy, you let him catch tom and put Hancock at DH. Hines is out 1b now. Believe it or not, we are really really young and still have over 30 hits and scored 24 runs in 2 games. Pitching is the problem right now. I wouldn?t even say the errors are really bad. Everyone has errors opening wknd when your this young. A lot of unsettles nerves out there right now. (Take out Forsythe cause he makes the plays he has screwed up this wknd)

I did like what I saw out of Logan Forsythe Fri. He threw strikes and challenged hitters. The got screwed on the one walk he had cause the ump blew the call. He should have k?d the guy. I have a feeling we see Loftin and Lo tom. lol was warming up today but Dohm was doing good.

I thought Davis looked ok, Holcomb looked ok til the ump blew his call then he kinda unraveled. The ump today was very inconsistent. He would squeeze then open wide up. Even hunt was squeezed when he started walking people, but he let it get to his head. You could see him mouthing when Lemonis came to get him.

I?m really interested to see how Gartman does tom. We saw personally last year that he can throw strikes.

Gotta shake today off. It?s over. 1 bad loss won?t hurt us. Everyone is gonna have them. Hell Arizona beat Tenn and then turned around and lost to Fresno State. Tenn is 0-2. That vaunted LSU offense that was suppose to be the Powerhouse only scored 5 today on 7 hits. Shake it off and show up today and take the series?

Commercecomet24
02-19-2023, 12:17 AM
That's kind of what I was told. I was told a few weeks ago that we were worried about Hancock throwing down to 2nd. Said he wasn't very accurate and didn't have much zip on it. But that he managed the staff and was ahead hitting wise on Highfill. Said Highfill is probably the most athletic catcher we've ever had, but that there's still mental things he needs to learn about catching at this level.

Highfill is extremely athletic and can really run too. He needs to learn to be more calm he can be a little too hyper behind the plate still but that just comes with time. My son was a catcher and I remember when he was a freshman an mlb coach told him after a game, you're really good back there but you'll be even better when you learn how to be calm back there.

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2023, 12:18 AM
Dakota is a true freshman who has HUGE potential. He is pressing a little too hard which anyone starting their first 2 college games would do. You let him work out the kinks right now against subpar pitching. You don?t bench him after 2 games, especially to downgrade with the replacement. Give the kid a chance. He just needs to relax.

You don?t change the line up unless Highfill can go. If he is healthy, you let him catch tom and put Hancock at DH. Hines is out 1b now. Believe it or not, we are really really young and still have over 30 hits and scored 24 runs in 2 games. Pitching is the problem right now. I wouldn?t even say the errors are really bad. Everyone has errors opening wknd when your this young. A lot of unsettles nerves out there right now. (Take out Forsythe cause he makes the plays he has screwed up this wknd)

I did like what I saw out of Logan Forsythe Fri. He threw strikes and challenged hitters. The got screwed on the one walk he had cause the ump blew the call. He should have k?d the guy. I have a feeling we see Loftin and Lo tom. lol was warming up today but Dohm was doing good.

I thought Davis looked ok, Holcomb looked ok til the ump blew his call then he kinda unraveled. The ump today was very inconsistent. He would squeeze then open wide up. Even hunt was squeezed when he started walking people, but he let it get to his head. You could see him mouthing when Lemonis came to get him.

I?m really interested to see how Gartman does tom. We saw personally last year that he can throw strikes.

Gotta shake today off. It?s over. 1 bad loss won?t hurt us. Everyone is gonna have them. Hell Arizona beat Tenn and then turned around and lost to Fresno State. Tenn is 0-2. That vaunted LSU offense that was suppose to be the Powerhouse only scored 5 today on 7 hits. Shake it off and show up today and take the series?

I thought Davis was shaky early but settled in nicely. Holcombe you hit the nail on the head. He's just got to be more mentally tough and that'll come with experience.

I actually thought KC pitched ok today. He was getting squeezed and he did let it get to his head, but he did what we asked him to for the most part.

Do agree that Gartman will be interesting to watch tomorrow. And I would imagine whoever we don't see out of Jurrangelo and Loftin is who will start Tuesday. The other one probably starts Wednesday.

Commercecomet24
02-19-2023, 12:19 AM

Very good assessment! I expect Gartman to have a very good season. Kid knows how to pitch and is a competitor. He doesn't walk people either.

Pancho
02-19-2023, 08:23 AM
Ya'll expecting VMI to attempt to steal a bag today?

bulldogcountry1
02-19-2023, 09:19 AM
Hancock started at least a half dozen games at catcher last year and only gave up 2 SBs. Unless he is injured, I do nott think it is fair to blame it all on him.

Offshore Dawg
02-19-2023, 10:19 AM
Cutting out the walks would of reduced the base runners in half. +/-

bulldawg989
02-19-2023, 10:19 AM
Hancock started at least a half dozen games at catcher last year and only gave up 2 SBs. Unless he is injured, I do nott think it is fair to blame it all on him.

Well he's the one throwing so unless a tag is missed or the throw isn't caught it is pretty much on him. His throws to 2nd were off target and late, that's either arm strength, reaction time or transfer...again all on him. I thought Alford was a little out of position on the throw to 3rd that was reviewed, however not a bad throw but it's an easier throw to 3rd than to 2nd.

He also fell for the oldest trick in the book with runners on the corners, stealing 2nd is baiting a throw to get a run in from 3rd and he fell for it and it we gave up a run, can't do that at this level...my 11 year old knows better than that.

MaroonFlounder
02-19-2023, 10:52 AM
Dakota hit some warning track balls that would go out for HR in April.

Kellum Clark late in the game finally started to get out of that dead pull mindset and hit up the middle almost opp field That slide at 3rd base was a killer. Stick those legs out and get them on the bag.

I don?t know about Luke. How do you bench your captain? Lem has painted himself into a corner. If VMI runs on us, nearly every SEC team will.

KC and Stinnett still can?t get it done. How much before the younguns and transfers take that mound time? Where is Pico?

Pancho
02-19-2023, 10:54 AM
He was saving Pico for today after Gartman and then close with Nixon. so much for well laid plans********

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2023, 01:18 PM
Lineup is out.

1. Larry 2B
2. Ledbetter LF
3. Jordan CF
4. Hancock 1B
5. Alford 3B
6. Clark RF
7. Chance DH
8. Highfill C
9. Forsythe 2B

SP: Gartman

Not wild about the lineup TBH. Surprised we did not see Mershon at SS and Hines completely out of the lineup.

MaroonFlounder
02-19-2023, 04:07 PM
Highfill and mershon are hurt.

Highfill looks perfectly fine today. What was his injury?

Pancho
02-19-2023, 06:37 PM
His dad says he never was injured.

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 07:02 PM
Highfill looks perfectly fine today. What was his injury?

Oblique. He was day to day.

Homedawg
02-19-2023, 07:06 PM
His dad says he never was injured.

Uh huh

maroonmania
02-20-2023, 02:42 PM
He was our best hitter in the fall and spring. It wasn't by accident. He's a rookie. He was nervous as hell and he's not pull happy. Relax. He's gonna be fine. It might take him a minute to chill. Heck, last year was Yeager and he was a grad transfer. Year before was Scotty. Dakota is WAY more talented than them put together. It's two games!!!

Seems you might need to relax with that response. All I said was move him out of the 3 hole for now until he settles down a bit. Would actually take some of the pressure off him as he starts his career. Just looks like he can be fooled on pitches at times based on his first couple of games. And that was VMI pitching. He did at least get an extra base hit yesterday.

Homedawg
02-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Seems you might need to relax with that response. All I said was move him out of the 3 hole for now until he settles down a bit. Would actually take some of the pressure off him as he starts his career. Just looks like he can be fooled on pitches at times based on his first couple of games. And that was VMI pitching. He did at least get an extra base hit yesterday.

He's our most talented player, by a mile. He had a great fall and spring. Ill stand by it, leave him in the three hole. He'll fill the same pressure hitting 5th. He he two line drives yesterday and hit two or three more to the track for the weekend.

sandjunky
02-20-2023, 05:02 PM
Well he's the one throwing so unless a tag is missed or the throw isn't caught it is pretty much on him. His throws to 2nd were off target and late, that's either arm strength, reaction time or transfer...again all on him. I thought Alford was a little out of position on the throw to 3rd that was reviewed, however not a bad throw but it's an easier throw to 3rd than to 2nd.

He also fell for the oldest trick in the book with runners on the corners, stealing 2nd is baiting a throw to get a run in from 3rd and he fell for it and it we gave up a run, can't do that at this level...my 11 year old knows better than that.

Pitchers are just as important as catchers in controlling the running game so it?s not all on the senior

Commercecomet24
02-20-2023, 05:41 PM
Pitchers are just as important as catchers in controlling the running game so it?s not all on the senior

Thank you! People that don't really understand baseball don't get this. Luke isn't Lotan but his pop time is good enough but dang our pitchers are slow to the plate with no variation in delivery. Pitchers need to be 1.1 - 1.3 to the plate but our guys were hitting 1.5s, way too slow. Also not allowing 24 base runners in a game would help too.

That being said both pitchers and Luke can get better.