PDA

View Full Version : Want to give a shout out to the seniors...

smootness
11-29-2013, 09:52 AM
I know there's still another game to play, but thank you to the seniors, who have now done something that had never happened before in the history of the program. Despite some of the negativity, these guys continued to give everything they had for the program:

Tyler Russell - Thank you. You gave us hope that Mississippi State could bring in a legitimate talent at QB. You set records here, and you were the captain that took us to our 4th straight bowl game for the first time in school history. You'll never be forgotten, and I'm proud of the way you handled this year. I know you wanted this year to go differently, but you stayed strong and kept fighting. I'll never forget what you gave us in the Arkansas game. Fantastic career, and I hope you get a shot on the next level. You deserve it.

Nickoe Whitley - What a career you've had, when looking back. You made game-changing play after game-changing play, starting with the ridiculous forced fumble against UGA, and culminating with the last two games when you saved us and sent us to a bowl game. There's no doubt that we would have lost several more games over the last 4 years without you back there. You're just as responsible for this bowl streak as Russell. You haven't been able to do the things you wanted to the last couple of years, yet your heart remained, and you kept coming back. You finished your career with a huge bang, and your last play in your last Egg Bowl will be watched over and over and over again for as long as they still play the game.

Gabe Jackson - You're arguably the best OL we've had in Starkville. From day one you've been a beast, and you've never missed a game. There's not much more to say than that. Thank you for handling yourself with class and dignity while remaining a monster on the football field. As with Russell and Whitley, no one is more responsible for the success we've had over the last 4 years than you 3, along with:

LaDarius Perkins - You showed us flashes early, then you busted out when you got your chance. Like with Russell, I know this year hasn't gone exactly the way you planned, but you've fought through as much adversity as almost anybody on the team. I don't think you've been 100% all year, but you keep showing up ready to go. There's nothing I've been more disappointed in than the backlash you've received this year. You've been a rock, and we're going to miss you. You should be a stud for somebody at the next level, and you'll always be one of my favorite State players ever.

Deontae Skinner - Talk about a rock. You've been as dependable as they come for 4 years. Often unnoticed but never without serious impact, you've done the dirty work without some of the credit others have received. I was excited about you when you initially committed, and that excitement was warranted. You gave us everything you had at all times and provided the defense with a nastiness and an edge that is essential in the SEC.

Baker Swedenburg - It was a bit of a strange, up and down senior year, but none of it was a result of your play. You've been one of the best punters in the country the last few years. Hold your head up high; we won, and I have nothing but good memories. The life of a punter is strange, since the fanbase is always disappointed to see you on the field, but you were huge for us and helped us win a ton of games. You were the one aspect of our special teams that we knew would be solid and dependable. Great job, and thank you.

Denico Autry and Charles Siddoway - We only knew you for two years, but you were essential to our success from day one. Denico, you were the leader of the defense and wreaked havoc at times in the opponent's backfield. The sacks didn't always come, but the impact was just the same. You have the potential to be a force on the next level, and you'll always be a Bulldog. Charles, you got some grief at times from some fans unfortunately, but like so many other guys, you kept showing up and kept coming back, and you became a force on the right side. Your block on Channing Ward on Dak's overtime TD was huge and paved the way for us to bring the trophy back to Starkville.

Corvell Harrison and Dylan Holley - You weren't always on the field on Saturdays, but your contributions to the program have been huge. Corvell, you solidified the DL early in your career when we had to have you and became a workhorse behind the scenes. Dylan, you were here for 3 years and will forever be a Mississippi State Bulldog. You were always ready to go and had to step up at times, and you did.

I know there may be some other seniors that I'm not thinking of, and there are definitely some unsung guys I don't know about, but as just one State fan, I want these guys to know they'll never be forgotten and their contributions have been immense. Being a college football player, you unfortunately receive backlash from your own fanbase at times, but for these guys, it was never deserved. They all gave everything they had for this program, and I want to thank them all for being Mississippi State Bulldogs.

I have no idea if any players read this board or if anyone will see this, but I hope they know they're appreciated and won't ever be forgotten.

Dawgface
11-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Agree. i hope they know as well. And a special shout out to Tyler Russell. I know his final year did not go as he wanted, all the injuries an all. But he was truly a team player who did a lot of good things while at MSU. Truly a class act. I too hope he gets a shot at making an NFL team.