PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tim McCarver.....one of the best baseball announcers of recent times IMO......

Saltydog
02-16-2023, 03:37 PM
Guy had so much knowledge of the game. 81 y/o.......

Goldendawg
02-16-2023, 05:05 PM
Grew up a Cardinals fan. Spend many summer nights in the car with Dad and uncles listening to the game on the radio (car had best reception). When in elementary school at Ashland, they let us go the the auditorium to watch the 1964 World Series on the only TV on campus, simpler times. McCarver was a very good catcher. When the Cardinals traded Ted "Simba" Simmons, it broke my heart and I became a fan of the Oakland "Swinging A's". Prayers to the McCarver family.

EdwardDrayton
02-16-2023, 06:04 PM
He made listening to games so enjoyable. Baseball was his life.

Saltydog
02-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I did too Golden..........Loved listening to the Cards and Jack Buck/Mike Shannon on those hot summer nights in my youth........

Thick
02-16-2023, 09:21 PM
His attention to detail was second to none and situational knowledge was spot one?.a true great!

Turfdawg67
02-16-2023, 09:44 PM
I was flown to Philly many moons ago for an interview. They got me a room at the Ritz Carlton downtown and I went to the hotel bar for a nightcap before I went to bed. I was sitting at the bar, probably drinking a shitty beer, when in walks Tim McCarver. He orders a "top shelf" bourbon, and I swear, not only was it 4 shelves high, there was dust on it. He gets his shot, downs it, looks over at me and says, "You in town for the game?" I said, "No... job interview". He says "Good luck. Give him what I had... on me." and left for his room. Probably was a $50 shot in 2005. He didn't know if I knew him, and he didn't care. Cool guy.